Romulan Transporters

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Romulan Transporters

Post by NecronLord »

Did anyone else notice that the schem's transporters seemed faster than most? I clocked the transport of data (when they think he is B4) in at a second, maximum and the transport of picard as similar. Usually it takes far longer.IMO
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Romulan Transporters

Post by Vympel »

NecronLord wrote:Did anyone else notice that the schem's transporters seemed faster than most? I clocked the transport of data (when they think he is B4) in at a second, maximum and the transport of picard as similar. Usually it takes far longer.IMO
Borg transporters from BOBW were quite fast too IIRC.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

From Endgame they clock in @ ~1.5 secs. I haven't seen BoBW part 1 though.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

NecronLord wrote:Did anyone else notice that the schem's transporters seemed faster than most? I clocked the transport of data (when they think he is B4) in at a second, maximum and the transport of picard as similar. Usually it takes far longer.IMO
I also had a question about that. We have heard several times that a transporter works by first analyzing one's atomic and molecular structure, and then re-assembling that structure on the other end. When Picard was being transported, though, he clearly REACTED to being beamed out, moving his body considerably and changing his facial expression. It seems clear, now, that the transporter would have had to operate in a different manner, because Picard's movement would have thrown off such a system, and because Picard was still moving even after he had begun to de-materialize.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Master of Ossus wrote:
I also had a question about that. We have heard several times that a transporter works by first analyzing one's atomic and molecular structure, and then re-assembling that structure on the other end. When Picard was being transported, though, he clearly REACTED to being beamed out, moving his body considerably and changing his facial expression. It seems clear, now, that the transporter would have had to operate in a different manner, because Picard's movement would have thrown off such a system, and because Picard was still moving even after he had begun to de-materialize.
Well in the past they have beamed people up sitting down and they have materialised standing. I think the transporters seem to put people in an attention pose regardless. How they do this with aliens I don't know.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

NecronLord wrote:Well in the past they have beamed people up sitting down and they have materialised standing. I think the transporters seem to put people in an attention pose regardless. How they do this with aliens I don't know.
Hmm... possibly. We've also seen some people who were beamed up in kneeling positions, or even lying down.

I do not, however, think that there has been a previous example of someone actually moving while they were beaming out, before.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Well in the past they have beamed people up sitting down and they have materialised standing. I think the transporters seem to put people in an attention pose regardless. How they do this with aliens I don't know.
Hmm... possibly. We've also seen some people who were beamed up in kneeling positions, or even lying down.

I do not, however, think that there has been a previous example of someone actually moving while they were beaming out, before.
Actually there are numerous examples. How else do people talk while in transport? Or what about when Barclay was moving all the time while he was in transport and saved the people caught inside the buffer.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

In the TNG episode with the Iconian supervirus, Picard is moving as he talks to the Romulan captan during beam out.
AWACS
Redshirt

Post by AWACS »

In insurrection the Sona transporters were pretty quick.
This is your butt on the street: (_*_)
This is your butt when you get arrested: (_._)
This is your butt in jail: (_O_)

Don't go to jail!