Is Nemesis better than Waterworld?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Is Nemesis better than Waterworld?

Post by Master of Ossus »

Since it is self-evident to any sentient form of life that "Nemesis" is a weaker film than almost anything else in theaters right now, I think a more useful comparison would be with the atrocious Kevin Costner film, "Waterworld." I think that "Nemesis" is quite a bit better than "Waterworld." What do you guys think? Is this even a fair comparison?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

I'd say, yes, Nemesis is better than Waterworld. On the other hand, everything except Battlefield: Earth, The Postman, and Manos is better than Waterworld, so it's not really fair.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

I thought part of the problem with Waterworld was that it was an OK hour-and-a-half B-movie (Mad Max 3.5: Wild Water) trapped inside 3 friggin hours of plodding pointless shots. Oh look, he's starring soulfully at the horizon again; I guess that means he's alone on a large ocean. I GET IT ALREADY!

I've heard that Costner had the same problem with the The Postman, though I haven't seen that film.

I'm probably not the most qualified critic of Nemesis, though. Intellectually, I though it sucked ass, but I did enjoy seeing some of the actors on-screen again.

Ah, no cop-outs. I'm gonna say Waterworld may have been better than Nemesis, since I thought Waterworld's biggest problems was a self-indulgent director/star who wouldn't let a competent editor trim the useless fat versus the much more disappointing and expansive idiocy of Nemesis (as discussed by myself and others through out this forum). Of course, I saw Waterworld once a long time ago at 3 am, so I may be forgetting a lot more instances of its suckitude.

-- Joe Momma

omifuckingchristB&Bjustmademedefendwaterworldfuckfuckfuck...
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Isn't this like saying "Is Nemesis better than being jabbed in the eye with a hot poker every 5 minutes?" :)

There are far worse films than nemesis out there, however most of them have Police Academy in the title :wink:
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Waterworld had better explosions than Nemesis.
JADAFETWA
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Sheesh... I actually liked Waterworld, I just thought $100+ million was a pretty excessive budget in light of the finished product. Battlefield Earth, on the other hand, was simply unwatchable (and in my defense, my roommate had it on one day... I did *not* ever have any intention of seeing it.)
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

This is just silly. Of course "Nemesis" is better than that stupid movie "Waterworld."

I actually enjoyed most of "Nemesis." It was not the greatest movie (but maybe the best TNG movie) but it was fun and the visual and sound effects were great.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

well i know i'll get flamed for this, but i enjoyed nemesis more than the glorified children's film The Phantom Menace. thankfully Lucas more trhan redeemed himself with the incredible opus that was Attack of the Clones. actually, i didn't think nemesis was that bad... i really enjoyed it to tell you the truth. if any Trek movie should be flamed so badly as to be compared to that steaming pile of shite that is waterworld it should be insurrection! now that was awful!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Phantom Menace only saving grace IMO was the lightsabre duel. I don't even have the DVD of it yet. I do have the AOTC DVD tho. So I guess I have to get the E1 DVD eventually ....

Not that I relish it mind you. TPM was a disaster.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I liked Episode One.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

HemlockGrey wrote:I liked Episode One.
No accounting for taste I guess :)

I liked it after I first saw it. I then saw it again. I then mulled. And brooded. And realized how bad it was.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Vympel wrote:Phantom Menace only saving grace IMO was the lightsabre duel. I don't even have the DVD of it yet. I do have the AOTC DVD tho. So I guess I have to get the E1 DVD eventually ....

Not that I relish it mind you. TPM was a disaster.
yea, the lightsaber duel was pretty kickass...although it really wasn't a duel being that it was 2 vs. 1 was the olny good part though
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

That goes for me too. Episode 1 sucked, especially the pod racing scene. The only thing I liked about Episode 1 was Darth Maul, and of course they killed him off.

Nah, Nemesis was good. It had alot of parts that could have been improved, but, overall, it was a good flick.
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

I was disappointed by The Phantom Menace, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "bad" film (I reserve that for films like Battlefield Earth and Showgurls.) Phantom Menace just wasn't all that it could have been: Lucas missed a grand opportunity to really get into the corruption and politicking that brought the Galactic Republic down, preferring to give us Jar-Jar Binks and Jake Lloyd as Lil' Ani Skywalker.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Eh never cared that much for TPM and it's so far for me the weakest of the Star Wars films.

And Nemesis fits that for ST films(in contention with Insurrection and Generations...sorry TNG has produced shit for films).

As for Showgirls at least we get T&A :P

But to waterworld...I like WW a little better more because I like Dennis Hopper more than Patrick Stewart's one note character.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Waterworld amused me and didn't leave me thinking "Why the fuck didn't they do this and this and this instead of this" like Nemesis did.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Haven't seen Nemesis, but I liked Waterworld.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

HemlockGrey wrote:I liked Episode One.
I actually liked Episode 1 a hell of a lot more than Episode 2. I guess it's a matter of taste. The things I hate most about movies are
1) When you can see what's coming from half a mile away.
2) When you have the urge to yell instructions at the protagonists/antagonists which they SHOULD have done in the first place because it's so obvious.

AotC had more of that than TPM. Jar Jar didn't really bother me.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

I just got back from watching Nematode er, I mean Nemesis. It wsn't a bad movie but I was hoping for something a little better for my $17.00 including popcorn. I resisted reading any of the spoilers before watching the movie and forming my own opinion.
Magashi
Redshirt

;;blink blink;;

Post by Magashi »

Col. Crackpot wrote:well i know i'll get flamed for this, but i enjoyed nemesis more than the glorified children's film The Phantom Menace. thankfully Lucas more trhan redeemed himself with the incredible opus that was Attack of the Clones. actually, i didn't think nemesis was that bad... i really enjoyed it to tell you the truth. if any Trek movie should be flamed so badly as to be compared to that steaming pile of shite that is waterworld it should be insurrection! now that was awful!
TPM, had its problems. It could probably have been made a bit better, but I don't think I would go so far as to call it a children's film. The big pit-fall that I couldn't forgive was the pod-race. It seemed to be trying to reach the Nascar fan in all of us ... god ... I could almost imagine George Lucas next to a 10,000 dollar pile of cash and a shovel, hurling the bills as fast as he could onto the mounting pillar of fire that was the pod-race CGI. ;;shudders;; Other than that (and the heckler next to me in the theatre that started humming circus music when Darth Maul got off of his transport), TPM was pretty descent. The choreography was masterful, the droids were terrific, and it gave us a wider array of cannon information to work with.

If there is any trek movie that deserves our ever-bruning rage, and forever will draw my spite, it is Generations. It was the first movie in a long time that I honestly wanted to get my money back for my ticket. Its bad enough that Trek-writers seem to feel that time is up for grabs. Its painful enough to see it get used again and again as a plot device with no clear definitions as to what the hell they are doing with said knowlege of time travel (who the hell researches these things?). But the giant space-ribbon shoved me over the edge of sanity. They grabbed something with no presedence in ST, and then butchered the premise still further. Instead of icing Sauron a cetury beforehand, a decade, a year, how about a month .... NAH, lets drop in on him at the height of his strength, when his uber-rocket is ready for launch, and he is at his most defensive.

In light of Generations ... how can you hate Insurrection, which by comparison was a work of art?
https://www.amazon.com/author/jerrythompsonjr

"Warp Field Stabilized." ~ The Arbitur Tribunal

"On a mountain of skulls, in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!" ~ Prince Vigo the Carpathian. Also known as Vigo the Cruel, Vigo the Torturer, Vigo the Despised, and Vigo the Unholy.
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Re: ;;blink blink;;

Post by Damaramu »

Magashi wrote:Instead of icing Sauron a cetury beforehand, a decade, a year, how about a month .... NAH, lets drop in on him at the height of his strength, when his uber-rocket is ready for launch, and he is at his most defensive.
Heh, I know you meant SORAN, but the idea of Sauron being in Generations is amusing. 8)
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Sauron was very scary in Generations. I especially liked the part in Generations where Wesley climbs up on the rock with the fish and sings
"Dip in pool
Is nice and cool
To catch a fish
So juicy SWEEEEET"
And keeps beating the fish on the rock.
Chuck

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: ;;blink blink;;

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Damaramu wrote:
Magashi wrote:Instead of icing Sauron a cetury beforehand, a decade, a year, how about a month .... NAH, lets drop in on him at the height of his strength, when his uber-rocket is ready for launch, and he is at his most defensive.
Heh, I know you meant SORAN, but the idea of Sauron being in Generations is amusing. 8)
Such a combination would probably be better. Instead of a Technobabble rift there could be a portal to middle earth and the one ring.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Make more sense then the obvious uber torpedo and the ultra happy Matrix rift they decided to create.

And please Sonnenburg...Gollum is far less annoying than Wesley :P
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Sauron was very scary in Generations. I especially liked the part in Generations where Wesley climbs up on the rock with the fish and sings
"Dip in pool
Is nice and cool
To catch a fish
So juicy SWEEEEET"
And keeps beating the fish on the rock.

Ummm Chuck what exactly are you smoking/inhaling?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!