It was f*cking great!

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

It was f*cking great!

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

My area has gone downhill in the last few years. The local mall epitomizes this- there are no national chains there except for GNC and the rest are local-owned business. even those are few- the mall itself remainsmostly empty.

I moved back to Kansas City Kansas five years ago, and I had barely one chance to watch a movie in that mall's movie theater before it too was closed.

So for five years, I have been forced to drive 20 minutes at least to go see a movie.

And then all of a sudden, last week I hear that the movie theater has been bought and will be re-opened.

And on opening night, the gate that had been down over the entrance to the theater was opened to the public again.

As I approached the theater I felt like I was getting younger, and when I saw the gates re-opened it was like stepping into my past.

I saw so many movies here, and for the longest time I had though that Con Air would be the last one I saw.

The weird thing was that it had not been redesigned in the slightest- in the paper the owner had been quoted as saying that all he had to do was knock the dust off the seats-even the projectors were working fine.

The last time I had been inside I had been in a rush for time, I think. And that was the first time backafter 5 years living with my father and stepmother. I was free for the first time ever just to walk around and just have a look at the place.

It wasn't as decorated with posters as it had been five years ago. There was a huge banner for Daredevil and a few posters in the lobby- for Antwone Fisher, Maid in Manhattan, the Santa Clause 2, and the Two Towers. I stared at TTT's poster for a long time, so caught up was I in my sentimentalization of the place- a Lord of the Rings movie was about to oen in MY theater, one of the shining bastions of my childhood. It was surreal.

The deals were good- it wasn't owned by a chain like AMC or Dickinson, so the ticket price was $4.00 for an evening show of a first-run movie with a student ID. Drinks were relatively cheap too.

Oh, yeah. I saw Nemesis there.

Tom Hardy did a good job as Shinzon. He had a cool voice.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

It's always a grand thing if your most favourite movie palace actually does return from the dead and reopens. So many fond memories bound up with place. Sad to say, I can never have that, since the old Pitt Theatre here in New Orleans was torn down in '95 to make way for a Walgreens.

I'd give just about anything if I could have the Pitt back. For nearly seven solid years, not a Friday went by that I wasn't in either theatre one or theatre two, settling down to a Marx Brox. festival, a Bogart festival, or Woody Allen (when he still made great movies). I was there so often I was on a first-name basis with the manager and the concessionaries. It was the first place I ever saw The Road Warrior, Kagemusha: The Shadow Warrior, La Cage Aux Folles, and Das Böot. I got to see Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind and Dr. Strangelove on the big screen for the first time. They had second-run films in the lineup, but it was about the best college reperatory movie house you could have in your town. It was sad when it got bought out by a dollar-house chain and they sandwiched in two extra screens, but they still had some good movies there on occasion.

Then they turned it into a Walgreens. Bastards.
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

I'm surprised no one ever caught the heavy sarcasm in the title in relation to the topic, in which I said the experience made seeing Nemesis a lot more fun than it should have been.
BotM Cybertronian
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

Bug-Eyed Earl wrote:I'm surprised no one ever caught the heavy sarcasm in the title in relation to the topic, in which I said the experience made seeing Nemesis a lot more fun than it should have been.
I think this same sort of thing made me view TPM a bit more favorably than I might have otherwise.

I saw Episode 1 in the theatre eleven freakin' times. At the time it came out, I was living in a shitpit of a neighborhood and my job sucked. I was working my way away from both of those situations fairly quickly, so it wasn't a huge deal, but I found myself needing an escape a bit more than usual. And there was Jar-Jar at the local cineplex.

Frankly though, at that point fucking Se7en would have been light escapist fair.

-- Joe Momma

My favorite Saturday morning during my two months in that neighborhood: walking past a hooker and her john concluding their business in the alleyway behind my house, getting to the post office to see a new notice about a missing neighborhood girl (age 4, gone for more than 48 hours, probably dead), and overhearing two drug dealers talk about how they were saving up money to leave this fucked-up neighborhood.
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
daonesith
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by daonesith »

SORRY BUT ALL ST THINGS ARE STUPID
EDIT: his E-mail is necrodane@hotmail.com. Another Hotmail-spawned troll ...
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

daonesith wrote:SORRY BUT ALL ST THINGS ARE STUPID
As are you
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956