What the hell?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

What the hell?

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

On one channel I see Voyager, with Tom Paris.

On another channel I see TNG, with the Paris actor, but a totally different character.

Why would they do this?
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Which TNG was that?

I think I saw Tuvok in Star Trek 6. I saw Odo in it too.
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

The actor played Paris in VGR and a cadet at the Academy called Nick Locarno in TNG.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Originaly the character in the TNG episode was to be the same character in Voyager. He was to fail Nova Squad and become a Maquis member. They later decided to change the history of the character after they already casted the actor.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

Alyeska wrote:Originaly the character in the TNG episode was to be the same character in Voyager. He was to fail Nova Squad and become a Maquis member. They later decided to change the history of the character after they already casted the actor.
Erm, wrong? Nova Squad guy was called *Something* Locarno. Just a case of recycling actors, which they do alot.
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Nicholas Locarno.
Wrath
Padawan Learner

Re: What the hell?

Post by Wrath »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:On one channel I see Voyager, with Tom Paris.

On another channel I see TNG, with the Paris actor, but a totally different character.

Why would they do this?
lol when I saw the premier I wondered where i'd seen paris before wasn't till I was watching a TNG rerun a year later it clicked
errrrm hmmmm
Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

They were originally supposed to be the same characther but TPTB decided that Locarno characther was beyond redemption...either or they didnt want to pay royalties to the writer of that TNG ep.
Iraq Weather Report: Sunni today, Shi’ite Tommorow

The Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Frankenstein...Wasting a minute of your time!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Superman wrote:Which TNG was that?

I think I saw Tuvok in Star Trek 6. I saw Odo in it too.
Odo from DS9 in the ST6 ? The dominion was not encountered then. As for tuvok yes it was tuvok but not the same actor. Tuvok later recalled his experience in one voyger episode when the image of a nebula triggered his past memories about a nebula he saw on the excelsior. I hate that episode where janeway compared the legendary kirk and sulu with reckless cowboys.
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Rene Auberjonois (sp?) played Colonel West in ST6. He was the officer who briefed the president on the rescue plan Starfleet had to retrieve Kirk and McCoy. Memorable Quote: "Quite frankly Mr. President, we can clean their chronometers." He was later killed disguised as a Klingon while trying to assassinate the Federation President. Same actor, different character.
Wrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Wrath »

Atavarius wrote:Rene Auberjonois (sp?) played Colonel West in ST6. He was the officer who briefed the president on the rescue plan Starfleet had to retrieve Kirk and McCoy. Memorable Quote: "Quite frankly Mr. President, we can clean their chronometers." He was later killed disguised as a Klingon while trying to assassinate the Federation President. Same actor, different character.
wasn't the actor who plays worf in ST6 as well , playing the legal council for kirk
errrrm hmmmm
CNS Sarajevo
Youngling

Post by CNS Sarajevo »

The actor who played Tuvok was on the episode where pirates were aboard the Enterprise while it was being "cleaned" with a baryon sweep. I call that episode Die Hard Meets ST:TNG. Picard knocked him out, then tried to interrogate him in sickbay. "Tuvok" had a great line: "You're Starfleet. You won't hurt me." I like to imagine the captain grinning and saying, "Oh, you think this is the Enterprise? No...they're being serviced on the other side of the planet. This is the ISD Avenger."
I love the smell of BDZ in the morning.

"If the battle cannot be won without me, then I will be brought on deck."
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Michael Dorn played Colonel Worf who provided council to Kirk and McCoy. I don't know why they named the guy Worf, perhaps TOS crew giving a homage to the TNG crew?
Wrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Wrath »

Atavarius wrote:Michael Dorn played Colonel Worf who provided council to Kirk and McCoy. I don't know why they named the guy Worf, perhaps TOS crew giving a homage to the TNG crew?
they called him colonel worf? I didn't notice that . but doesn't really make much difference because you could probably say that guy was worfs grand fathers and wolfs dad named him after is grandfather or something like that grasping at straws a little here.
errrrm hmmmm
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Michael Dorn played Worf's grandfather in ST6, IIRC.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Colonel Worf was TNG Worf's grandfather.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Embracer Of Darkness wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Originaly the character in the TNG episode was to be the same character in Voyager. He was to fail Nova Squad and become a Maquis member. They later decided to change the history of the character after they already casted the actor.
Erm, wrong? Nova Squad guy was called *Something* Locarno. Just a case of recycling actors, which they do alot.
Erm, actually Alyeska is correct. If you cannot tell from the similarities of the Nick Locarno and Tom Paris characters then you need to go back and look again.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

Death from the Sea wrote:Erm, actually Alyeska is correct. If you cannot tell from the similarities of the Nick Locarno and Tom Paris characters then you need to go back and look again.
Yes, but why did they change the names? Besides, that's not as bad as the Romulan Commander in "Balance of Terror" being Spock's father.
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Wrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Wrath »

AdmiralKanos wrote: Yes, but why did they change the names? Besides, that's not as bad as the Romulan Commander in "Balance of Terror" being Spock's father.
I would think it would something to do with admiral Paris the relationship between him and tom was one of the major back ground storys of the show young guy rebeling againist his father type of thing. it was probably gave the writers more flexabity in how to write tom.
errrrm hmmmm
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I thought that they had originally planned for them to be the same character, but didn't think they could get the same actor (or something came up at the time) so they decided to make up a new one, and then when Duncan proved available, they didn't change the character back for some reason.
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Post by Admiral Johnason »

Wrath wrote:
Atavarius wrote:Rene Auberjonois (sp?) played Colonel West in ST6. He was the officer who briefed the president on the rescue plan Starfleet had to retrieve Kirk and McCoy. Memorable Quote: "Quite frankly Mr. President, we can clean their chronometers." He was later killed disguised as a Klingon while trying to assassinate the Federation President. Same actor, different character.
wasn't the actor who plays worf in ST6 as well , playing the legal council for kirk
Actually, the attonery for Kirk and McCoy was the ancestor to Worf, hense why Dorn was choosen to play the role in the movie.
Liberals for Nixon in 3000: Nixon... with carisma and a shiny robot body.

never negoiate out of fear, but never fear to negoiate.

Captian America- Justice League

HAB submarine commander-
"We'll break you of your fear of water."
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

Superman wrote: I think I saw Tuvok in Star Trek 6. .
Well the actor who plays Tuvok played a Differant character in Star Trek 7 (Generations) He played a crew member (of the non-vulcan variety) on the bridge of the Enterprise B
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried
Jeremy
Jedi Master

Post by Jeremy »

lets not forget Sisko's father
• Only the dead have seen the end of war.
• "The only really bright side to come out of all this has to be Dino-rides in Hell." ~ Ilya Muromets
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

It was all about royalties. Every time they said "Nick" or "Nick Locarno" they'd have to pay the writer.

Incidentally, in a VOY ep there's a picture of Tom on Admiral Paris's desk, and its a screenstill from that TNG ep.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I'd hardly saw the Locarno character was beyond redemption ...
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/