What if instead of Enterprise we had got...

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

What if instead of Enterprise we had got...

Post by The Nomad »

THIS ?

I didn't actually read the stories, just read the description of the characters, tech and politics, but it sounds that it would have brought the Star Trek franchise to a true... renaissance.

Any opinion ?
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Ah, ST Rennaisance. I see you have finally discovered it. It is a very extensive series of fan-fic that is formatted to a script format. Very professional looking, I would like to see it go to print someday.

Be sure to check out the extensive tech manuals, they really give a good background to the stories.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I'm reading the first episode now and I don't think it's that good. They've obviously put a lot of effort into it but the writing seems a bit hokey to me.
ben
Youngling

Post by ben »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:I'm reading the first episode now and I don't think it's that good. They've obviously put a lot of effort into it but the writing seems a bit hokey to me.
but so far its better than B&B is shitting out and calling scripts. then again so can a bunch of high schoolers on acid
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I thought it looked pretty good
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The story in the pilot was interesting. There was some cringe-worthy dialog, but nothing a good rewrite couldn't fix. Definitely better than some other ST pilots, including Encounter at Farpoint.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

From the little I read about it, I liked it! Would have been better then Boobyprise.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Doesnt look too bad, and it isnt very hard to be better than Boobyprise. I'm just starting to read the episode now, they should get better as the poeple writing them get better.

Thier tech manuel seams well thought out, and most importantly of all self consistant!

The shields of the E-G (The varient of the Enterprise in ST:Renaissance) can withstand ~2.14GT before failure and have a recharge rate of 1.9MT/s.
It has 6 phaser banks that can:
"12,000 terawatts of power through up to three separate beams."
12,000 terawatts equates to ~2.86MT/s
25 phaser banks that can:
"capable of roughly 5,000 terawatts, and only two beams"
5,000 terawatts equates to ~1.19MT/s

q-torps:
"within nanoseconds, causing a violent explosion, with an energy release of 620,000 terajoules, over twice that of the maximum yield an old-style photon torpedo could manage"
620,000 terajoules equates to ~147.6MT
Assuming 2 nanoseconds; 3.1*10^26 Watts, 3.1 *10^14 TerraWatts.

Their take on Transphasics is:
Instead of creating a steady phase-cloak field, it rapidly oscillates its field, distorting the space around it. Any matter unfortunate to be caught in this roughly 3 kilometer-radius sphere experiences massive phase oscillations, with entire portions phasing out of existence and back in while other portions do the same thing at a different frequency. The vessel experiencing this unstable phase oscillation almost always leaks something explosive during these throes, be it antimatter, or drive plasma from a warp core.
Weapons ranges arent really commented on, beyond for saying the phasor arrays have longer range.

However the realspace velocities used just look wrong;
The E-G maxium acceleration being 7,600 km/s^2!
The slowest shuttle(The E-G carries):
"Maximum ΔV: 9,500 km/s^2 (full impulse in 7.8 seconds)"
Fastest shuttle(The E-G carries):
"Maximum ΔV: 15,000 km/s^2 (full impulse in 5 seconds)"

As latter when the tech manuel lists the max ΔV for some other starship, it lists them in m/s^2 instead of km/s^2. 1 of them is a typo, but I'm not too sure which one. If Full impulse is 1/4 c, then the km/s^-2 is the correct version, otherwise full impulse would have to be 75km/s!

And there is a Starfleet Marine Corps!

This version of Starfleet doesnt look so teethless, and I hope they dont fall for the various clasic pitfalls that startrek is prone to. But I havnt finished reading all of it yet, so I'll have to see how good it is.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The writers do tend to have the characters make stupid decisions in order to advance the plot, though to their credit, at least they acknowledge that the decisions are bad ones.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

ggs wrote: This version of Starfleet doesnt look so teethless, and I hope they dont fall for the various clasic pitfalls that startrek is prone to. But I havnt finished reading all of it yet, so I'll have to see how good it is.
Their phaser rifles are more compact ( the size of a FAMAS I'd say, IIRC the size of this toy ), can be mounted with a grenade launcher, have a holographic HUD, their suits seem to provide NBC protection IIRC, as well as some kind of camouflage polymer, and they do have compact personnal shields.
Provided they have MW-range phaser firepower to break armors, they could perhaps be a heavy match for a small team of Stormies - without support, of course.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Re: What if instead of Enterprise we had got...

Post by Next of Kin »

The Nomad wrote:THIS ?

I didn't actually read the stories, just read the description of the characters, tech and politics, but it sounds that it would have brought the Star Trek franchise to a true... renaissance.

Any opinion ?
Let me read through it. It looks as though it might have some promise.
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

especially now that Paramount canceled their spec script submission program
I thought an episode of TNG was written by an outsider.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I'm pretty sure there were outside scripts done for TNG, although I think most of them were first and second season.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I believe it was during TNG that they stopped accepting outside scripts
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

That would coincide with the Berman/Braga Takeover.