borg history help

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

borg history help

Post by Next of Kin »

I've always been interested in reading up on the history of the collective and such. The problem is that i can't find many good sites which deal with this topic. Would anyone here be able to provide a link to a Star Trek borg site that is of worth???

Thanks! :)
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

There is no canonical evidence as to the history of the Borg. All that we really know is that they have been around for quite a while. On STFC, during the Borg's attempted assimilation of Enterprise E, they sent a message to the Borg that existed during the 21st century. So we know that they have been around for at least that long.

Oh yes, we also know that they used to be the absolute baddest of the bad. During TNG, they were practically unstoppable. During Voyager, however they became wussified and an entire cube didn't have the capability to stop Janeway's pussy ship.

STFC and Voyager fucked up the entire concept of the Borg in the following ways:

1. The Borg are headed by a Queen (a bitchy woman that has as much personality as any non Borg species).

2. Even though Locutus admitted that Data is obsolete (compared with Borg technology), we find out in FC that the Queen was secretly obsessed with him! How lame.

3. The Borg don't adapt anymore. "Oh look the Borg! Just fire phasers and torpedoes and let's be on our way, shall we..."

4. If you think the Borg are going to assimilate you, just negotiate with them. Another Voyager fuck up.

5. Cubes aren't as durable as the USS Voyager.

6. Individual drones pilot the cubes. Even though TNG established the fact that the central computer thing in the cube controls the Borg, in Voyager we learn that Drones fly the cubes.

I could go on and on.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Site currectly down but this is the best (at least graphically) website on the Borg I've seen so far:

http://www.theborgcollective.com

Might want to keep an eye on it.
Red Knight
Redshirt

Post by Red Knight »

I was planning on writing an article on the Borg some time ago, but it is fairly hard to find information on their history.

We do know that their spacefaring culture is at least 900 years old, but besides that, not much else.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

If you read 'Probe' you find out (or at least it is suggested) that the Probe in STIV was attacked by the Borg & partly assimilated. It escaped, but had memory loss...

That was meant to have happened thousands of years ago if I remember it rightly...
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

I was going to make a thread with a large post about the Borg and the Binars.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

would the probe be able to reach the delta quadrant in 200 years??
I don't know, according to the book the Probe went all over the Galaxy so its likely it could get from the delta to the alpha quadrant over the space of a few thousand years or whatever...

I don't have my copy of the book handy so i can't provide a quote or such...anyone care to help?