best fed ship design (TNG-'present')

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

which is the best fed ship design (tng on)

Defiant
36%
Sovereign
33%
Prometheus
2%
Nebula
7%
Steamrunner
2%
Sabre
2%
Galaxy
2%
Intrepid
2%
Akira
13%

Total votes: 45

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

best fed ship design (TNG-'present')

Post by Col. Crackpot »

vote for the ship design do you feel is the Federation's best, and tell us why you think so
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

oh, i vote akira, i like the torpedo load and i like the fact it carries a fighter wing....and it's actually pretty damn cool looking.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Sabre class. Designed to be quick, with generous fields of fire and protected warp nacelles. It is the only one, other than the Defiant, that truly attempts to protect its more vulnerable areas, and changes the standard SF design considerably.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Master of Ossus wrote:Sabre class. Designed to be quick, with generous fields of fire and protected warp nacelles. It is the only one, other than the Defiant, that truly attempts to protect its more vulnerable areas, and changes the standard SF design considerably.
the steamrunner has similar protection, and is a far bit larger..... a destroyer to the sabre frigate. the reason i went akira is because it is the only fed ship with a significant fighter compliment.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Before Nemesis I would have voted for the Nebula. It has near equal torpedo capability to the Akira, but greater phasers and superior forward torpedo capability. However after having seen Nemesis, I am rather impressed with the Sovereign MK-2. Its been nearly doubled on torpedo capacity as well as having its phaser arcs improved. It can take a serious beating and its hull hugging shields are some of the best ever seen in Trek. Its Ablative armor also allows it to take damage that would cripple or outright destroy any other ship.

Honorable mentions go to the Nebula, because it uses similar parts to the GCS but has superior combat capability and superior shielding, or with other mission changes it becomes a superior command and control ship. Akira, because it has 15 freaking launchers on such a small ship as well as being able to carry a fair number of fighter craft. Defiant, first true Warship of the Federation in a very long time, built for combat and very well armed for its size. Sabre, a good destroyer type ship taking the capabilities of the Miranda and putting them in a much more compact ship. War-Galaxy, with various versions out there it can serve as a carrier, a superior heavy cruiser, or backbone of large fleet operations.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Not the Defiant.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Sovereign class. Looks good, has good fire power. With a good captain would be a deadly ship.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

After seeing what the Sovereign is able to do in Nemisis. I'd have to say that it not only looks pretty cool, but it is the most powerful Fed. ship.

Sovereign takes this easy.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Damn, can't decide, I like them all. :?
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Galaxy looks the prettiest, and would be a match for the Soveriegn if the Feds learned how to properly utilize space.

The Defiant, while on the exterior being cool, simply is prone to far too much console sparking.
BenRG
Padawan Learner

Sovereign-class

Post by BenRG »

I like the Enterprise-E and her sister ships. There is no particular technical reason (except the traversing quantum torpedo turret... :twisted: ), but I do think it is a very effective-looking design. Frankly, the Sovereign-class is the ship that they should have had for the TNG TV series.
BenRG - Liking Star Trek doesn't mean you have to think the Federation stands a chance!

~*~*~*~

Waiting for the New Republic to attack the Federation
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

Sovereign has got to be the best.
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I agree, the upgraded Soverign is the best feddie ship around.
JADAFETWA
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

For the stated purpose of Starfleet, the Galaxy. For the actual purpose, the Sovereign.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Steamrunner. As it is depicted as a dedicated warship (destroyer) in the FX. It deploy's its weapons in a forward arc and there is no info on it being a "exploration" vessel.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I went for Defiant Class. It is such a cool ship[ and was such a shock to trekies of the time that their wannabe-commie-uber-pc federation would design a ship for war and only war. It heralded a change in policy that made Trek worth watchign again.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Uraniun235 wrote:Galaxy looks the prettiest, and would be a match for the Soveriegn if the Feds learned how to properly utilize space.
Hehehe...a Galaxy class would get ass-raped by the Soveriegn class in ways that even RayCav couldn't imagine. As for the prettiest, that's just personal taste, personally my favorite ship class in terms of looks is the Ambassador.

Here is my proof:

I'm pretty sure they are much faster (Going 9.9 with no problems at all?)

MUCH better shielding, remember that this thing was taking on the Scimitar pretty much 1-1 considering that all those other romulan ships did was provide alternative targets.

Better weaponry, once again, the Enterprise-E took on the Scimitar and was doing alright for itself. I'm not exactly sure of the percentage but I'm almost positive that the Scimitars shields went below 50%, and they only hit them how many times?

More manuverable, the E-E was doing dives and twists in Nemisis and FC that I don't think ships it's size should be able to do, can anyone give me an example of a Galaxy class manuvering?
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:Galaxy looks the prettiest, and would be a match for the Soveriegn if the Feds learned how to properly utilize space.
Hehehe...a Galaxy class would get ass-raped by the Soveriegn class in ways that even RayCav couldn't imagine.
Emphasis mine.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Howedar wrote:
Captain_Cyran wrote:
Hehehe...a Galaxy class would get ass-raped by the Soveriegn class in ways that even RayCav couldn't imagine.
Emphasis mine.
Yeah, but then the same would go with the sovereign class would it not? In which case the sovereign would still win.
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

I personally like the Steamrunner simply because it's different, and it has a standoff loadout. If you're asking which ship is more combat effective, it's probably a tossup between the Akira (space cavalry), Galaxy-X (workhorse of the fleet, right?) and Sabre (disruption, should be massproduced in greater numbers)
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

closet sci-fi fan wrote:There's more space on a GCS than a sovereign... strip those luxury quarters, orca + dolphin tanks( :wink: ), etc. and you've got a lot room for additional reactors and weapons.
Yeah, I suppose you do have a point there.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Galaxy class is the largest ship built by the Federation. Theoretically you can put the largest number of weapons on it AND give it more shields then other ships.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
closet sci-fi fan wrote:There's more space on a GCS than a sovereign... strip those luxury quarters, orca + dolphin tanks( :wink: ), etc. and you've got a lot room for additional reactors and weapons.
But you can't forget the massive empty space on the E-E in Nemesis.
JADAFETWA
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

IG-88E wrote:
Captain_Cyran wrote:
But you can't forget the massive empty space on the E-E in Nemesis.
Well, I think now would be a good time to check the stats on sovereigns and Galaxies, to see how much open space each one has.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

If Starfleet took the Galaxy hull and fitted it with the same tech as the Soveriegn, with the same mentality (more militaristic), the Galaxy by virtue of greater volume should be able to outgun and outlast the Soveriegn. Manuevering *should* (I cannot emphasize this enough) be a non-issue when dealing with ships that are over half a kilometer long and weigh over 4.5 million metric tons... the only effective combat manuevering should be getting into optimum firing position, and the occasional warp jump to reposition. ("Peak Performance")

Unfortunately this is not the case... however, with it's larger volume, the Galaxy could probably afford to take more hits than the Soveriegn would gain while twisting out of the line of torpedo fire. Although if we went by the torpedo speed seen in "The Survivors", it would be hard even for the E-E to evade... 8)