Best Trek Uniforms

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

montypython
Jedi Master

Best Trek Uniforms

Post by montypython »

Which Trek uniforms do you think are the best ones overall (appearance, functionality, etc)?
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Enterprise beats TWOK for the pocket factor. Everything else is pretty crappy.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I liked Piccard's open-jacket uniform, with the dark gray shirt under it. It seemed more sensible.

Also the early ENT uniforms.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

TNG, DS9 ones especially the ones with the jacket

The movie ones from ST II on up are cool.
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I liked Piccard's open-jacket uniform, with the dark gray shirt under it. It seemed more sensible.

Also the early ENT uniforms.
I don't recall them ever changing the uniforms on ENT, other than in The Episode That Must Not Be Named, where all they did was add name-patches.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

I actually rather liked the uniforms from TMP. The red uniforms after that looked too complicated. They would make good dress uniforms, but, outside of the movies, uniforms were more about utility and comfort than "coolness". I'd get rid of the health monitors or whatever those boxes were supposed to be, shorten the tunic, and make the trousers a bit roomier, but the concept was quite good, in my opinion.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

It disgusts me that nobody has mentioned TOS' miniskirts yet.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I don't recall them ever changing the uniforms on ENT, other than in The Episode That Must Not Be Named, where all they did was add name-patches.
Apart from that which must not be named, the colour of some of the uniforms changed from bright-blue to dark, but both versions were used together. The darker ones looked better, in my opinion.

The TWoK uniforms look good and I really like the excursion vest, but they seem a bit heavy and cumbersome. I don't like the look of the TNG or TOS uniforms that much (except for, well, the miniskirts), although I must admit the pilot version looked okay. The ENT uniforms were practical and decent-looking but a bit...dunno, drab. I can't quite put my finger on it.

For me, the best balance between practicality and looks are the late-DS9/movie uniforms. They're simple, have separate pants/shirt/jacket, an understated colour scheme that still clearly denotes the wearer's department and they just look comfy. Slap some pockets on those suckers instead of the stupid utility belt-thing and they'd have been perfect.
I actually rather liked the uniforms from TMP.
The version with the longer shirt, the one Bones wore, was okay and I really like Kirk sitting on the bridge in short sleeves (hey, it's airconditioned, right?) but there were just too many variants, all in the worst colours. Plus, the skintight versions did little to conceal the wearer's anatomy. Now I'm all for that when it's Illia on screen, but when Decker got a bit excited in the hallway scene...
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Maybe it's just me, but for some reason in my mind the TWOK regular jackets always seem ultra-bulky, and then when I look at a picture I think "well, the material looks heavy, but it doesn't look that bad". I quite like the aesthetic although I have to admit there may be questionable practical value and they do look like they might be a bit stiff. I also really don't think the skirt looks good with it at all; I think those jackets really demand pants.

Personally, I think that if you're not going to have the whole crew suiting up for every action sequence (or, perhaps even more sensibly(?), suited up at nearly all times) then you might as well go all the other way and have the crew in comfortable uniforms, and the TMP uniforms look really comfortable to me. I personally don't mind the basic look, although as has been stated the pants could probably use a bit of revision. I also like how in TMP there were still bulkier suits (and helmets!) for the engineering crew to use, as opposed to TNG where absolutely everyone wears the same damn jumpsuit and as such are completely pooched if the toxic coolant gas gets released.

I cannot recommend any of the TNG+ uniforms. Jumpsuits don't do much for me. I don't take particular offense to them but in my mind they are completely inferior to the TOS and movie uniforms... and, yes, even the ENT uniforms, which I don't find as attractive as any of the TOS/movie uniforms on a constant basis but which I would have no problem seeing as a landing party uniform or even a midway between "comfywear" and "big white bunnysuit".

Unfortunately I'm not terribly well versed in the actual mechanics of what makes a truly practical outfit, so most/all of my comments are from an aesthetic viewpoint; as such I completely accept that I may be off-base in some capacity.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I cannot recommend any of the TNG+ uniforms. Jumpsuits don't do much for me.
Only the first two seasons of TNG had jumpsuits. All the others had black pants, a shirt and a jumper or jacket.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Stofsk wrote:It disgusts me that nobody has mentioned TOS' miniskirts yet.
Early TNG mini skirts were better.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Bounty wrote: Now I'm all for that when it's Illia on screen, but when Decker got a bit excited in the hallway scene...
Well, I'd rather see Decker's bits than Illia's, but to each his own.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
glass
Youngling

Post by glass »

From an aethetic point of view, I like the grey 'TNG movie' ones the best. I agree with the posters above that for practicality the Ent uniforms were probably the best.

Of course, mini-skirts (on girls) are always welcome whenever they crop up.

glass.
'Half full of shit' -Circvs Maximvs
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

While I find the TWOK+ uniforms visually the most appealing (they're the only ones that look like uniforms for starters) I must admit they seem to sort of lack in the practicality department for day-to-day work.
For utility, the ENT uniforms seem best (about the only thing on that show that was worth anything) closely followed by the late DS9 ones (though I kinda missed the colour-coded shoulder area).
How anybody can like the TMP uniforms (even on Ilia) is beyond me. They combine everything that is wrong with the early TNG uniforms with atrocious colour choices. About the only ones that didn't suck were the white short-sleeved shirts.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I'd like to say that, having had to wear a jumpsuit as a uniform for a couple years while serving as a M1 tank crewman, they really suck. Going to the shitter with a jumpsuit is hard enough even when the Army was kind enough to provide us a Velcro "long-john flap" to facilitate such duty; however the Trek jumpsuits, when portrayed, do not seem to have this utility.

Having to get almost 90% undressed just to drop the kids off at the pool is not convenient.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

TWOK-TUC uniforms naturally. They actually look like something a REAL military might use. Just a few days ago I was watching TUC scene where Kirk and co. meet Chancellor Gorkon and thought "damn they actually look like soldiers of a military superpower".
TNG pajamas look like something mommas boy would wear when he went to sleep. DS9/movies uniformes have somewhat improved tailoring but their gray/black color scheme is completely bland and uninteresting.

Suffice to say in 20 years TWOK uniforms will be the only ones not looking silly or outdated and that speaks for itself.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

The dress uniforms here http://www.st-spike.org/pages/uniforms/ ... iforms.htm on the third row look quite like the TWOK uniforms, much better than the ones on the fourth row.
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

The WOK uniforms are okay, a bit too gaudy and non-practical though.

The ENT Uniforms look most like what I'd expect a Space Exploration organization to wear right now.

The Early TNG Uniforms are bad, I mean honestly, spandex?

S3-7 TNG Uniforms are okay.

My favorites are the TNG Movie/DS9 uniforms, they combine the more military-esque look of the TOS Movie uniforms with the utilitarian and practical look of TNG S3-7.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I thought the uniforms worn in throughout Voyager and first half of DS9 were generally better than the TNG uniforms - but the Starfleet uniforms worn in the TWoK to UC era were by far the best (I really liked the bulky suits worn by the engineering crew). The movie TNG/late DS9 uniforms were not especially great, but they looked more militaristic. Enterprise had uniforms that looked fairly realistic and pretty utilitarian, but were not threatening or marshal enough. I thought it was a mistake in TOS that they changed the uniform colour scheme (and the ship architecture) from the first two pilot episodes to the main run series with much brighter primary colours.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I do rather like the red TOS movie uniforms. Starfleet's more militarised and the uniforms match. Rad suits for the guys working near the reactor? Genius! Well, 'common sense!' Handy coats for away teams, so you don't freeze? Logical.
I also like the rank insignia. A little harder to make out than the pips or bands, but they look good.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I still think the pilot episode uniforms looked better, but the TOS Starfleet uniforms were functional and militaristic enough. But I thought the shoe/boots looked funny though.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Big Orange wrote:I still think the pilot episode uniforms looked better, but the TOS Starfleet uniforms were functional and militaristic enough. But I thought the shoe/boots looked funny though.
I always thought that the lack of grips on the soles was dumb. There basically really high cowboy boots. Which would suck on an away mission.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I always thought they looked good.

Practical? Maybe not. But definitely looked good.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Stofsk wrote:I always thought they looked good.

Oh they look good, there just not practical. But IIRC Canada's WWII combat boots didn't have grips on them either.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Stofsk wrote:I always thought they looked good.

Oh they look good, there just not practical. But IIRC Canada's WWII combat boots didn't have grips on them either.
TOS has a somewhat less nerdier rep than TNG since it was much more of Wild West in space with Starfleet men wearing cowboy boots and William Shatner striding about like a sheriff.