Favorite ST phaser

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Which is your favorite ST phaser?

TOS Era?
17%
Motion Picture and TWOK Era?
3%
Search for Spock Era?
3%
Final Frontier and UDC Era?
58%
Dust Buster?
No votes
Improved Dust Buster?
3%
DS9 and VGR Improved Dust Buster?
3%
Nemesis and VGR Future phaser?
14%

Total votes: 36

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Favorite ST phaser

Post by Alyeska »

"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Personally I like the Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country Assault Phaser. It has a more militaristic look to it, nice pistol design, and its power cell is quite logical as well.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The first, can't beat the classics you can actualy aim well with :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Any TOS style weapon would do alright for me...TNG and onwards weapons all look too much like wierd sex toys for me....
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

The small Type-1 phasers. If Shizon had had his suit filled with those instead of daggers, ST:N would have had a much better ending.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

I like the movies 5-6 hand phasers the best. They just look dangerous, and well designed. A close (sort of) second is the ST-N/Future phasers.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

The Silence and I wrote:I like the movies 5-6 hand phasers the best. They just look dangerous, and well designed. A close (sort of) second is the ST-N/Future phasers.
I agree, the one's from Movies 5-6 do look kick ass.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

FYI, the Final Frontier phasers were Shatner's idea; he wanted them less like squirt guns and more like "Colt .45s".

Those BTW are the best.
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

The 5-6 Phaser, it has the best look of them all, althought it migth be more hard to aim, due to it's rounded top. The previous phasers wouldn't have the misalignment induced by the curved top.

The subsequent ones are ultra-ulgy.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Mr Bean wrote:The first, can't beat the classics you can actualy aim well with :D
I've got to agree with Bean on this one. There's nothing like a gun you can actually hit something with.
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

The more militaristic phaser pistols from The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country are the most visually appealing (it is said that Mr Shatner had them designed to look and "feel" more dangerous, even going so far as to have a more violent noise to them). The novelisation of the latter film called them "illegal burning phasers" and suggested that being wounded by one was much more painful than by a more regular phaser pistol.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Movie 5-6
Movie 3
TOS
Movie 1
Nemesis
DS9/Voy
Dustbuster 2
Dustbuster
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

a tie between the ST:N phasers and the ST:5 and 6 ones, but I will have to go with Nemesis ones, simply because it is small and easy to hold, while the ST5 one seems to have too big a handle for me.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

The tommy-gun. :)
Morat
Padawan Learner

Post by Morat »

Didn't TNG have some kind of credit card-sized pocket phaser? I seem to remember seeing something like that...
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Morat: I think you're refering to the old Season 1 Type-1 "Cricket" phaser. GR thought it was way too small, making it look like the beam was emitting out of the actor's fingers, so it wasn't used very much.

I love the 5-6 phaser pistols, as they look almost like real guns. And they're cool, too.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I kinda liked the dildo looking dust buster phaser. The 5-6 phaser had to natural point to aim with coz of the rounded top. Personally i've always been a fan of the Klingon style distuptors, to me they have a flintlock pistol/rifle maybe thats why they drop them after one shot and use their bladed weapons :D
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

The phasers in Star Trek VI were damn cool, in my opinion.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

Darth Pounder wrote:I kinda liked the dildo looking dust buster phaser. The 5-6 phaser had to natural point to aim with coz of the rounded top. Personally i've always been a fan of the Klingon style distuptors, to me they have a flintlock pistol/rifle maybe thats why they drop them after one shot and use their bladed weapons :D
Thats a good one. :D

I like the ones from ST5&6
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

I like stuff that are pleasing to the eye. I let you decide which one I'm talking about.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

AFAIK, 'pleasing to the eye' is 'dangerous'

One reason I love ISDs so much.

5&6 phasers. Yeeha.
JADAFETWA
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

FYI, the Assault Phaser (ST:5,6) was built around a Berreta 92F 9mm pistol. They really wanted a military look to the pistol and they did a good job. I wish they had altered the top of the pistol in such a way so as to allow iron sights AND a rail to install other items.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Can I vote for Romulan Disruptor instead?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

TOS Movie phasers seen in ST:V and ST:VI look darn cool. They actually have magazines! Not to mention that the phaser beam is awesome- and what's more, it's blue.

They also deserve it because they are a natural evolution of the TOS phasers, wheras the TNG is just ... pulled out of some pinko's ass or something.

What's up with the Nemesis phasers? Is it just me or are they starting to look like bannanas?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/