Worst Enterprise Season...

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Worst Enterprise Season is...

Season One
33%
Season Two
33%
Season Three
4%
Season Four
4%
All of Them!
26%
None of Them...
No votes

Total votes: 27

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Worst Enterprise Season...

Post by Big Orange »

What season do you think is the weakest on the widely derided Enterprise? I have not seen much of this series when it first came out and I only properly tuned into the show until towards the end of Season Three with the last five or six episodes of the controversial Xindi Arch and I saw nearly all of the fairly solid Season Four (missing out on the universally panned season final). Anyway here is how the Enterprise's seasons flew in order (or crashed):

Season One: The writing was already on the wall for both Enterprise and the Trek franchise as a whole, and not in a good way. What little of it I saw did not seem to be exceptionally bad, but not really appealing. Maybe I was too burned out on the overall disappointment of Voyager, but I had little time for Enterprise when it first came out.

Season Two: I hardly seen anything of Season Two, but considering the flack it received from even loyal ENT fans, I have perhaps not missed much (probably comparable to TNG's Season One or VOY's Season Three).

Season Three: Enterprise's best season and probably the most consistently excellent Trek since the later seasons of DS9 and the middle seasons of VOY. I would likely get this season on DVD eventually and I had only seen the last third of this seasons.

Season Four: Somewhat overrated, but not awful and is fairly entertaining. Seems to be loaded down with too much TOS references and cheese (not that it is a bad thing, considering it's a prequel. But it felt like fanfiction sometimes). I never saw Enterprise's season final (ditto for DS9 and VOY) but I likely haven't missed much considering the huge fan outcry. Overall a solid season, but I can remember preferring DS9 and even VOY's season fours.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

One at least had the pregnant Trip komedy episode. It's utterly unremarkable otherwise - uniformly bland, uninteresting and poorly made.

Two had no redeeming features whatsoever. Nothing at all.

Three started poorly but the Azati Prime-Damage-The Forgotten arc along with and Twilight were worth watching.
(I actually first watched AP because of the final ten minutes, which were little more than scenes of a bloodied Archer strung up on a ceiling getting the crap beaten out of him while the Enterprise was getting shot apart in space. Much to my surprise, the rest of the episode was excellent, apart from the bits set in the future)

T'Pols crack addiction worked pretty well, too.

Four was the best. Not perfect, but up to standards and with enough competence in the writing and directing.

ETA: in comparison to other series, I'd say the bulk of ENT was on Voyager's level in terms of blandness. Season 3 reminded me of a somewhat clumsy version of DS9's war episodes (in the sense that the story, lacking a proper foundation, seemed to meander quite a lot), while S4 was the only season to have a proper identity, combining some of the spirit of TOS (some...mainly the character interactions and plot intentions) with a visual and writing style of it's own. Opinions on this will differ, of course.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Bounty wrote:One at least had the pregnant Trip komedy episode. It's utterly unremarkable otherwise - uniformly bland, uninteresting and poorly made.
What episodes of Enterprise in Season One I saw did not seem poorly made, not in comparison to it's far superior later seasons - it felt pretty slick and well presented, but had not developed a proper feel yet and the storylines were unappealing. And I only saw about three or four episodes. If I saw the first season of Enterprise again, I would perhaps like it more than the first seasons of TNG and VOY.
ETA: in comparison to other series, I'd say the bulk of ENT was on Voyager's level in terms of blandness.
Voyager felt alot less bland than much of ENT in it's middle seasons and it would perhaps hold up better to overall scrutiny than Enterprise, although Enterprise made a braver effort in fixing most of it's problems (unlike Voyager which just coasted along).
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Voyager felt alot less bland than much of ENT in it's middle seasons
So I take it this will soon turn into yet another Voyager apologism thread?
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Bounty wrote:
Not really, I thought both shows were quite flawed , although at least Enterprise did not bomb out in it last season like Voyager did.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Big Orange wrote:
Bounty wrote:
Not really, I thought both shows were quite flawed , although at least Enterprise did not bomb out in it last season like Voyager did.
No, it merely bombed out so thoroughly that it got cut off three years sooner than V'ger did.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Season 2. It showed that they had learned nothing about going back into VGR mode and that, save for Coto stepping in at season 4, everything was moving in to the next circle of hell...
Mobird53
Redshirt

Post by Mobird53 »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Big Orange wrote:
Bounty wrote: So I take it this will soon turn into yet another Voyager apologism thread?
No, it merely bombed out so thoroughly that it got cut off three years sooner than V'ger did.
Ehh. Voyager bombed and didn't do to well b/c it was too differnt the other ST's. It was just too weird for the trekkies. Though i think it's not that bad, cept it does go down hill as the seasons progress. till the 7th when they just kinda abrubtly end.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ah, a newbie who doesn't read the rules.

Thread locked on account of Necromancy.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete