Chakotay and Stereotypes

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Bounty wrote:
(although Robert Beltran and Garret Wang were always useless).
I agree on Beltran, but Wang did act (yes, he can actually move his limbs !) in Timeless. And quite well, too; he basically played a bitter, desillusioned version of Kim and did it with style.
Maybe, but if all you can cite is a single episode, that's still pretty sad.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Bounty wrote:
(although Robert Beltran and Garret Wang were always useless).
I agree on Beltran, but Wang did act (yes, he can actually move his limbs !) in Timeless. And quite well, too; he basically played a bitter, desillusioned version of Kim and did it with style.
Maybe, but if all you can cite is a single episode, that's still pretty sad.
Touché

Either he wasn't trying or the stories about the cast being told to act or emote as little as possible were true.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Maybe I'm a little too hard on Garret Wang, but his character was still horribly bland whether it was his fault or the writers. And as Spanky The Dolphin said, it is pretty disheartening that Garret Wang truly shone in just one episode.
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

I've been working on Prime Factors for the next review, and that pretty much shows Harry Kim's ground state. He is in the position of either discussing a way home or screwing a hot chick, and it comes off like Fox Mulder telling Scully about the latest crop circle he found.
Chuck

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Sonnenburg wrote:I've been working on Prime Factors for the next review, and that pretty much shows Harry Kim's ground state. He is in the position of either discussing a way home or screwing a hot chick, and it comes off like Fox Mulder telling Scully about the latest crop circle he found.
I liked the episode where Ensign Kim is imprisoned on the planet of the nymphomaniacs. Seriously.

Now, you're probably thinking "Oh god, not another one of Stofsk's stories..." but I swear it's the truth. There are a few hot honies hanging off of Kim's arms, smiling and tee-heeing at every dumb thing this dolt has to say. To top it off, Kim doesn't get laid, not once. Not even when there are all these sluts trying to get to his man-juice. He manages to fuck up the unfuckable.

The episode was in season three, with the delightfully suggestive title of "Favourite Son." I would make fun of that title, but... I don't really have to.

Can you do a review on that one, please? Pretty please, with sugar on top? :) Or are you going through it episode by episode from season one to season two etc?
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

I'm doing them in order, so we can watch it unfold... or I suppose spread like mildew across the Trek franchise.
Chuck

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I liked it when poor Kim was cock teased by Seven in "Revulsion" and then had other silly things happen to him later on. And he also died in "Deadlock" and was replaced by temperoral/dimensional duplicate. :)

And although Seven and the EMH were two of the stronger, more popular characters on Voyager, does anyone elese still think their overexposure hurt the series?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Harry Kim died, I think, 5 times on the series. Also, when the Hirogen took over, they made him the holodeck-bitch.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

If you learn nothing from Voyager, it's this: It sucks to be Harry.
Chuck

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Since they can't get reinforcements from Starfleet, they do need to reuse their redshirts.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I wonder if all Starfleet ships should be equipped with cloning labs, so they could regenerate all the heavy losses some the crew suffer (ie when Captain Kirk sent in wave after wave of his redshirts to stop the Xarg kill bots :P ).

I find it strange that the people at Trek BBS bitch and moan about the overuse of Seven and the EMH, when the other characters were pretty weak anyway and the overuse of such obnoxious characters such as Chakotay, Kes or Neelix in earlier seaons did much more to damage Voyager's popularity in the first place (although I do not blame Jennifer Lien nor Ethan Phillips).

Also why do some critics like Voyager's first four seasons, but hate seasons five, six and seven? To start with Season Five was arguably Voyager's best season, plus the earlier seasons had just as many mediocre episodes as the later seasons.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Stofsk wrote:
Sonnenburg wrote:I've been working on Prime Factors for the next review, and that pretty much shows Harry Kim's ground state. He is in the position of either discussing a way home or screwing a hot chick, and it comes off like Fox Mulder telling Scully about the latest crop circle he found.
I liked the episode where Ensign Kim is imprisoned on the planet of the nymphomaniacs. Seriously.

Now, you're probably thinking "Oh god, not another one of Stofsk's stories..." but I swear it's the truth. There are a few hot honies hanging off of Kim's arms, smiling and tee-heeing at every dumb thing this dolt has to say. To top it off, Kim doesn't get laid, not once. Not even when there are all these sluts trying to get to his man-juice. He manages to fuck up the unfuckable.

The episode was in season three, with the delightfully suggestive title of "Favourite Son." I would make fun of that title, but... I don't really have to.

Can you do a review on that one, please? Pretty please, with sugar on top? :) Or are you going through it episode by episode from season one to season two etc?
I remember that episode. Evidently written by someone who'd never gotten any.
Big Orange wrote:I find it strange that the people at Trek BBS bitch and moan about the overuse of Seven and the EMH, when the other characters were pretty weak anyway and the overuse of such obnoxious characters such as Chakotay, Kes or Neelix in earlier seaons did much more to damage Voyager's popularity in the first place (although I do not blame Jennifer Lien nor Ethan Phillips).

Also why do some critics like Voyager's first four seasons, but hate seasons five, six and seven? To start with Season Five was arguably Voyager's best season, plus the earlier seasons had just as many mediocre episodes as the later seasons.
It frankly mystifies me that any critic could find anything to like in what were seven seasons of pure shit.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Patrick Degan wrote: It frankly mystifies me that any critic could find anything to like in what were seven seasons of pure shit.
I wouldn't say Voyager was pure shit, merely an average sci-fi show that could've been much better than it actually was. It had quite a few great, even classic Trek episodes, a few memorable characters and slick production values, but overall the people behind it lacked vision or true imagination and Voyager remained pretty predictable (even though it had it's moments of brilliance).
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Given that SciFi shows are far and few between how do you define 'average'?
VOY sucked by Star Trek standards (even by the low ones defined by late TNG/early DS9), it sucked donkeyballs by B5 standards (IIRC the only major other SciFi series in that timeframe, I think Farscape started much later but feel free to correct me about that), and it sucked, period. There may be 7 episodes worth of good moments in all of VOY but that's it. VOY ignored everything that made ST great, took everything that sucked in TNG/DS9, and ran with it. VOY had exactly 1.5 interesting characters, namely The Doctor and 7 (her being the half character).
VOY deserves all the criticism it gets and then some.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Batman wrote:Given that SciFi shows are far and few between how do you define 'average'?
VOY sucked by Star Trek standards (even by the low ones defined by late TNG/early DS9), it sucked donkeyballs by B5 standards (IIRC the only major other SciFi series in that timeframe, I think Farscape started much later but feel free to correct me about that), and it sucked, period.
VOY 1995-2001
Babylon 5 1993-1998
Stargate SG-1 1997-Present
Farscape 1999-2003
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Thanks, StarshipTitanic.
Given that TNG/DS9, B5 AND SG:1 beat VOY six ways from sunday, I think my point stands.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Big Orange wrote:I wouldn't say Voyager was pure shit, merely an average sci-fi show that could've been much better than it actually was. It had quite a few great, even classic Trek episodes, a few memorable characters and slick production values, but overall the people behind it lacked vision or true imagination and Voyager remained pretty predictable (even though it had it's moments of brilliance).
It didn't 'lack imagination', it was so terrible only the most insane ST fan I know could even *watch* it. Unlike ENT, which was simply uninspiring bland nonsense, VOY was so crap people would turn it off and walk away. I dare you to name these 'moments of brilliance': I've seen the apparently 'good' parts, and they're deeply stupid. I haven't heard anyone claim Workforce was good, though. :D
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Stark wrote:It didn't 'lack imagination', it was so terrible only the most insane ST fan I know could even *watch* it. Unlike ENT, which was simply uninspiring bland nonsense, VOY was so crap people would turn it off and walk away. I dare you to name these 'moments of brilliance': I've seen the apparently 'good' parts, and they're deeply stupid. I haven't heard anyone claim Workforce was good, though. :D
I thought "Deathwish" was a good Q episode.

That's about all I liked of Voyager.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Patrick Degan wrote:I remember that episode. Evidently written by someone who'd never gotten any.
Startrek.com seems to suggest that a Lisa Klink was responsible for that episode.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I wonder if all Starfleet ships should be equipped with cloning labs
Voyager had one. It's on Deck 9 ³/4, next to Shuttlebay One and across the hall from the TARDIS room where they keep the Delta Flyer and Neelix's ship.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Stark wrote:
Big Orange wrote:I wouldn't say Voyager was pure shit, merely an average sci-fi show that could've been much better than it actually was. It had quite a few great, even classic Trek episodes, a few memorable characters and slick production values, but overall the people behind it lacked vision or true imagination and Voyager remained pretty predictable (even though it had it's moments of brilliance).
It didn't 'lack imagination', it was so terrible only the most insane ST fan I know could even *watch* it. Unlike ENT, which was simply uninspiring bland nonsense, VOY was so crap people would turn it off and walk away. I dare you to name these 'moments of brilliance': I've seen the apparently 'good' parts, and they're deeply stupid. I haven't heard anyone claim Workforce was good, though. :D
Voyager was not truly great because it *DID* lack any real vision or had any inspired ideas, it was essentially a retread of TNG in the Delta Quadrant. And saying Voyager failed because it lost viewers is a weak charge, since DS9 perhaps lost just as many viewers and Enterprise was cancelled prematurely because it lost most of it's audience. And perhaps Voyager was the most "popular" Trek series after TNG in terms of ratings (although complete dross like EastEnders and Big Brother is hugely popular as well).

And my general opinion of Voyager is mixed - I find it's not as great as it's rabid fans say it is, nor do I find it as awful as it's detractors claim. Voyager is the very definition of an average to so-so sci-fi series. My subjective opinion of course.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

No, VOY was far, far worse than 'a rerun of TNG in the Delta Quadrant'. It took the terrible writing, technobabble, reset-button, zero-conflict ideas and refined them to their highest point. If VOY is your idea of 'average', you must absolutely LOVE stuff like nBSG and SG1.
Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

Post by Hitch Hiker »

(probably an old joke or rubbish but must be said)

Star Trek Voyager, The USS Voyager it flung 70 thousand lightyears away from earth on its madien voyage, its crew must figure a way to get ho...Hang on im confused, a ship lost millions of lightyears from earth....i swear this used to be called Lost In Space..
Grand master in the art of Imaginary warfare and unsociable geography
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

'Genetic material extrapolated, initiate cellular reconstruction' Dalek

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Big Orange wrote:Voyager was not truly great because it *DID* lack any real vision or had any inspired ideas, it was essentially a retread of TNG in the Delta Quadrant. And saying Voyager failed because it lost viewers is a weak charge, since DS9 perhaps lost just as many viewers and Enterprise was cancelled prematurely because it lost most of it's audience. And perhaps Voyager was the most "popular" Trek series after TNG in terms of ratings (although complete dross like EastEnders and Big Brother is hugely popular as well).
VOY had the second worst ratings of any Trek show, after ENT. It was always behind DS9, but both DS9 and VOY were diving. By the end, DS9 lost 2/3 of what its starting audience was. VOY lost half. My uninformed opinion would guess this was caused by the blandness of their characters. DS9 was much more plot-driven, but the plot didn't start until the fifth season and even then was only secondary to the soap opera. VOY was obviously intended to be very character driven (Hologram doctor; two aliens in the main cast, then a Borg; the Maquis) except if the characters weren't funny then they weren't interesting. TNG was actually the only Trek series to increase its audience and consistantly be successful.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

If I remember right, even the great and vaunted TNG's ratings started to slip and fall somewhere around the fifth season... which, coincidentally, is where it started to nosedive in terms of quality.