Bryan Fuller to start new ST series in 2017

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Bryan Fuller to start new ST series in 2017

Post by Tsyroc »

I wonder if it will show up on iTunes, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus etc... shortly after it airs on CBS All Access.

I know there are a few premium channels that can be added to an Amazon Prime subscription and Hulu often has stuff that won't show up on iTunes until about the time it is available on DVD/Blu-ray.

If they are going to go this route I think they would be smart to make the shows available on Amazon or iTunes shortly after they air on CBS All Access. I can wait to see a show and/or pay for individual episodes if I feel it is worth supporting. If it's not worth doing that then it sure as heck is worth the time to watch a pirated version. In the long run it might be cheaper to subscribe to the actual channel but I feel a little bit more like I'm "voting with my money" if it's spent on a specific show/movie instead of a channel or service.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Following on from the Meyer news, I'm curious; do we know anything yet about whether the new series will be "exploring other characters in the JJverse" or what?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Nothing seems to have been confirmed either way yet, but I'd expect it to be set in the same universe as the new films, if only so they can save a bit of money by re-using props and costumes.
trekky0623
Redshirt

Post by trekky0623 »

DaveJB wrote:Nothing seems to have been confirmed either way yet, but I'd expect it to be set in the same universe as the new films, if only so they can save a bit of money by re-using props and costumes.
I'm ok with them using this universe as long as the writing is better than the films. Might be good to do it about different characters, though.
LastShadow
Youngling

Post by LastShadow »

I am both intrigued and terrified by the prospect of a new tv series, the rumors of it being a tv pilot and then cbs streaming special concerns me, as i am not paying for a third streaming service for one show, its just not happening.

Do i want a new series? Yes. After Enterprise im super wary.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

trekky0623 wrote:
DaveJB wrote:Nothing seems to have been confirmed either way yet, but I'd expect it to be set in the same universe as the new films, if only so they can save a bit of money by re-using props and costumes.
I'm ok with them using this universe as long as the writing is better than the films. Might be good to do it about different characters, though.
I doubt it'll be the same actors, except perhaps as guest stars/cameo roles.

Too expensive, I'd wager, even if everyone's available for a full series, and they'll want to save them for the movies.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

A vast quantity of Trek props and costumes were auctioned off after Enterprise closed, IIRC. This even included ship models. I'm not sure they HAVE much of the old Trek stuff laying around to start with, and by now it would be getting a little old, so they would basically have to start from scratch if they wanted to do a old-Trek show anyway.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

He said they'd reuse props/costumes from the NEW Films, not the old stuff.

Though I think they're owned by different companies now, so I'm not sure they can share stuff like tgat.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well, yeah, I got that :P

Wikipedia does suggest that production of Star Trek is now done by Bad Robot (JJ Abrams' company), Skydance Productions and K/O Paper (whoever the hell that is). Conversely, Nemesis (last old-Trek movie) was produced by Paramount, which now only does distribution. A producer isn't listed for the TOS movies, but I expect that was in-house of Paramount as well.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'm pretty sure Paramount still owns the rights to Star Trek (at least the movies I think the series are owned by CBS), with Bad Robot being the producers only.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

There's hints about it being set in the time period between the original ST movies and the TNG-era. If they're going immediately between the first and second parts of Generations, it stands to reason that they should use the Enterprise-B, and/or the occasional cameo with the Excelsior, depending on if George Takei is interested in reprising his role as Sulu.

On the other end of the scale, they could go along the Picard/Stargazer route, or potentially feature the Enterprise-C. Of course, because that ship is doomed by canon they're more limited in the scope of what they can do with that ship.

Regardless of which existing Enterprise they use,they probably won't raise many eyebrows by featuring different captains to those already seen.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Apparently it's going to be an anthology series, with each season featuring a new cast, setting and time. This could be an exciting way to explore the Trekverse, resolve burning issues for fans, and generally do something new with the franchise. I seriously doubt it, though.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Word is that it will film in Toronto:

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/t ... ronto.html
Will Toronto’s city hall once again double for some futuristic headquarters when CBS starts filming a new Star Trek series?

That could well be the case once the show starts shooting here later this year.

“This just in! The new #STARTREK TV series will set course for Toronto and begin filming this fall,” CBS TV Studios confirmed the news in a tweet on Monday.

The still untitled series is slated to debut in January 2017.

A CBS spokesperson said no further details would be available. But Viljo Revell’s curvy modernist design of Toronto looked great when it was first unveiled in 1965 — timeless enough that it was featured in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. What would undoubtedly be cool is if the United Federation of Planets had an assembly in council chambers.

Star Trek also celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, spawning five TV series and a dozen feature films. CBS says the new TV series bears no relation to the upcoming film Star Trek Beyond that will be released this summer.

Apart from Star Trek’s distinctly “Canadian” roots — after all, Captain Kirk’s William Shatner was a Canadian, and Vancouver-born James Doohan played engineer Scottie — it makes sense that the show would be shot here. Bryan Fuller, creator of the thriller Hannibal, is the executive producer of the new series. Hannibal has since been cancelled, but was shot on a sound stage in Mississauga, so Fuller is intimately familiar with working in the city and with its crews.

He also cut his teeth writing for shows such as Deep Space Nine and Voyager, so he is already an expert on the Star Trek canon.

Toronto and Vancouver have been a hotbed for science fiction and fantasy shows. Shows shooting in Canada’s largest city include Killjoys, 12 Monkeys and The Strain. Vancouver has become something of a superhero factory with shows like The Flash and Arrow.

The upcoming series will “introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1965,” CBS said in a release.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Er... paging CBS... Star Trek debuted in 1966, not 1965 [/nitpick]
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Broomstick wrote:Er... paging CBS... Star Trek debuted in 1966, not 1965 [/nitpick]
The pilot episode, The Cage was completed 1965, though. And Roddenberry obviously conceived of it before then. [/nitpickofnitpick]
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Cheesy American teaser promo spotted on sensors! :P

Nah, this does notch up my interest slightly, particularly with them promising All New Stuff. An anthology series as has been rumoured could be cool, perhaps they could be loosely connected and build up to a larger narrative. Personally, I'm hoping for it to be set in the STO era or after.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Broomstick wrote:Er... paging CBS... Star Trek debuted in 1966, not 1965 [/nitpick]
The Cage was unveiled to NBC in February 1965.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

That strange ice planet doesnt science properly to me.... please don't be a cartoon-like trek.....
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:That strange ice planet doesnt science properly to me.... please don't be a cartoon-like trek.....
Looks to me a bit like a recolour of the blowed-up-real-good Klingon moon seen in ST:TUC (and, I think, briefly in Into Darkness).

No word yet if it's going to be Real Trek or New Trek? :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:Apparently it's going to be an anthology series, with each season featuring a new cast, setting and time. This could be an exciting way to explore the Trekverse, resolve burning issues for fans, and generally do something new with the franchise. I seriously doubt it, though.
Considering lots of a series takes a good while to find their footing this could be really bad. Like S1 TNG every season.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Crazedwraith wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote:Apparently it's going to be an anthology series, with each season featuring a new cast, setting and time. This could be an exciting way to explore the Trekverse, resolve burning issues for fans, and generally do something new with the franchise. I seriously doubt it, though.
Considering lots of a series takes a good while to find their footing this could be really bad. Like S1 TNG every season.
I haven't actually seen it, but it sounds roughly comparable to American Horror Story, in that every season is a whole new story. From what I gather that was excellent right out of the gate and remained that way. Could be wrong, but it shows that not every show has to be shitty at the start.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Chimaera wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
I haven't actually seen it, but it sounds roughly comparable to American Horror Story, in that every season is a whole new story. From what I gather that was excellent right out of the gate and remained that way. Could be wrong, but it shows that not every show has to be shitty at the start.
This is true. Modern telly basically has to wow straight away or be binned straight away.

I wonder if it will be lke AMS which has the same cast in different roles each time. Or true detective where the cast changes as well.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote:
Chimaera wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
This is true. Modern telly basically has to wow straight away or be binned straight away.

I wonder if it will be lke AMS which has the same cast in different roles each time. Or true detective where the cast changes as well.
I don't know... off the top of my head, Agents of SHIELD had a very lacklustre first half of season one, then picked up in a big way.

Though I suppose it was coasting on the strength of the Marvel and Whedon names.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I don't know... off the top of my head, Agents of SHIELD had a very lacklustre first half of season one, then picked up in a big way.

Though I suppose it was coasting on the strength of the Marvel and Whedon names.
Despite being shit, it still rated pretty well. Hence its continuing presence.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
Chimaera wrote: I haven't actually seen it, but it sounds roughly comparable to American Horror Story, in that every season is a whole new story. From what I gather that was excellent right out of the gate and remained that way. Could be wrong, but it shows that not every show has to be shitty at the start.

I don't know... off the top of my head, Agents of SHIELD had a very lacklustre first half of season one, then picked up in a big way.

Early installment weirdness is a well known trope. All-too many series have bitten the dust before they managed to get off the ground.