How...

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

How...

Post by Jason von Evil »

Did Klingon become an official language?
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

what are you talking about
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Sidious
Padawan Learner

Post by Sidious »

Well found this website

http://www.kli.org/

But I dont see "klingon" in the dictionary... yet lol.
So what are you referring to Aya.
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

A rather taleted linguist by the name of Marc Orkrand was hired during the filming of ST III to create the dialogue sequences for the Klingons(played to a T by Christopher Lloyd). Trek fans were so enthused by the complicated and believable sounding Klingon language sequences that he published a Klingon Dictionary and Grammar primer...hes run with it and now with some fan help Klingon is a fully functional language which is actually speakable......I know it boggles the mind, but then its no different than Tolkien working out Elvish or Dwarvish.
BotM
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

I remember seeing an interview with the guy who helped develop the international language Esperanto, an attempt to make an easily understood language from the best bits of dozens of languages. He was sick as a dog that more people now spoke Klingon than spoke Esperanto, and especially as Klingon is such a bitch of a language to speak and understand. :D Apparently there's degree courses in Klingon available at some US University or something, and this poor guy had slogged his guts out making a language that was easy to learn and speak and no one wanted. Shame really.
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Ever seen the movie Trekkies? A bunch of people dressed up at Klingons at a ST convention went and ordered at McDonald's...in Klingonese! Even wilder, the guy at thee register understood them! :D
JADAFETWA
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ever seen the movie Trekkies? A bunch of people dressed up at Klingons at a ST convention went and ordered at McDonald's...in Klingonese! Even wilder, the guy at thee register understood them!
Reminds me of that joke comerical about they guy trying to get ST taken off the Sci-Fi network thanks to all the rabid fans and the little Grandma won't sign but her son might(Who is of course in full Klingon-gear, bitchsmacks the petition guy then says in Klingon "Victory is mine!" Little Grandma smacks him and says "You have no honor, back in the house with you")

Much funnier to watch then describe :)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

. . . O_O
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Mr Bean wrote:
Ever seen the movie Trekkies? A bunch of people dressed up at Klingons at a ST convention went and ordered at McDonald's...in Klingonese! Even wilder, the guy at thee register understood them!
Reminds me of that joke comerical about they guy trying to get ST taken off the Sci-Fi network thanks to all the rabid fans and the little Grandma won't sign but her son might(Who is of course in full Klingon-gear, bitchsmacks the petition guy then says in Klingon "Victory is mine!" Little Grandma smacks him and says "You have no honor, back in the house with you")

Much funnier to watch then describe :)
ROFL, how I wish I could have seen that.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

If there are people who will try and get Eubonics declared an official language, this klingon nonsense doesn't surprise me at all.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

I discovered that Klingon was an official language after going to Google one boring night and look at the list of languages I could have the site translated in.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Sidious
Padawan Learner

Post by Sidious »

BWHAHAHA
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Zero, if you go by the google thing, 1337 is an official language.
http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

IG-88E wrote:Ever seen the movie Trekkies? A bunch of people dressed up at Klingons at a ST convention went and ordered at McDonald's...in Klingonese! Even wilder, the guy at thee register understood them! :D
:roll: Let's hope those Trekkies do not have kids!!
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

What's the Klingon word for loneliness? Ah yes. ghoR-tagh!
apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

I heard a story from a friend of mine in Texas. (Could be BS?) But he was saying the police was called to a home because the neighbors heard shouting and screaming in the house. So the police come in and can't figure out what anyone was saying. So they called several asian linguists....still no luck. Turns out the family was fighting and swearing in Klingon....the WHOLE family, mom, dad, and kids. :shock:
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

paladin wrote:
IG-88E wrote:Ever seen the movie Trekkies? A bunch of people dressed up at Klingons at a ST convention went and ordered at McDonald's...in Klingonese! Even wilder, the guy at thee register understood them! :D
:roll: Let's hope those Trekkies do not have kids!!
Yeah, god forbid they be lifeless geeks, and not fucking dumbasses that go out, get plastered, and proceed to fuck up people's lives by drinking while drunk.

God bless our state-enforced eugenics program! :)
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I used to play the game Star Trek Klingon quite a bit and had a pretty good grasp of Klingon. I started with the insults, naturally. Just don't ask me to spell any of it.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I used to play the game Star Trek Klingon quite a bit and had a pretty good grasp of Klingon. I started with the insults, naturally. Just don't ask me to spell any of it.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten