Officers like Picard or Officers like Jellico?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

paladin
Jedi Master

Officers like Picard or Officers like Jellico?

Post by paladin »

Are Starfleet officers more like Picard or Jellico?

Personally, I not sure. That's why I would like to know what you guys think.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, think about this in this way, Sisko wasn't a sissy, neither was Janeway(an idiot she was, but not a sissy). That is 2 to 1 on the show captains. From the captains we meet, they all seem a lot more agressive than Picard ever was(ie, the ones we meet in the Dominion war). So I think they are more like Jelico. Or at least I hope they are.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, think about this in this way, Sisko wasn't a sissy, neither was Janeway(an idiot she was, but not a sissy). That is 2 to 1 on the show captains. From the captains we meet, they all seem a lot more agressive than Picard ever was(ie, the ones we meet in the Dominion war). So I think they are more like Jelico. Or at least I hope they are.
Don't forget about Kirk.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I'd say more like Picard.

They maybe more belligerent, but considering their basic stances on the PD and how to deal with species(the whole thought of Section 31 disgusted Sisko).
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: Officers like Picard or Officers like Jellico?

Post by Stormbringer »

paladin wrote:Are Starfleet officers more like Picard or Jellico?

Personally, I not sure. That's why I would like to know what you guys think.

They have plenty of officers of both types. Picard is a good explorer and diplomat but a shitty war commander. Jellico is a good war commander but less able in other areas. Starfleet needs a mix of both. But they also seem to have a fair number of Janeways.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Stormbringer wrote: But they also seem to have a fair number of Janeways.
There's a frightening thought
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Stormbringer wrote: they also seem to have a fair number of Janeways.
I guess that explains why Starfleet does so poorly at war. :(
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

paladin wrote:
And at peace.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Stormbringer wrote:
paladin wrote:
And at peace.
lol
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Jellico is the exception and certainly not the rule. Most SF officers appear to be more like Picard, but the ones I've seen have tended to revolve more around the workings of their ship than meddling with other cultures through investigation.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

The question is, who is a better commanding officer? Picard or Jellico.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
BenRG
Padawan Learner

Good and bad points for them both

Post by BenRG »

Aya wrote:The question is, who is a better commanding officer? Picard or Jellico.
I'm not sure if you could clearly answer that question. Both men have their strengths and weaknesses.

Picard is a good all-rounder, although I have noticed that he prefers diplomatic solutions to military solutions. However, Jellico isn't just a war commander. 'Chain of Command' showed that he had a good grasp of Cardassian psychology and it looked like the treaty negotiations were going the Federation's way.

Certainly, Jellico is more of a firm stickler for keeping to the letter of the regs. Picard makes a noise about this, but he is generally very flexible. Note his attitude to Wesley (after complaining about children being on starships): "So what if the kid is only 15 and doesn't have a commission? He can make my ship turn as if it has a hinge in the middle, so he is my default helmsman." To Picard, it is what works that counts, not what the book might say on the subject. On the other hand, Jellico expected his crew to keep to the protocols. He expected that, when he said 'Jump', the reply was 'How high?' not 'But sir!' He also ordered Deanna to stop wearing her peekaboo top. :evil:

Jellico is the sort of man that I would trust to whip a rookie crew into shape and make them an effective crew. Picard is a leader of men who I would expect to take a set of experienced, capable officers and weld them into a crew that could take on anything the galaxy threw at them.
BenRG - Liking Star Trek doesn't mean you have to think the Federation stands a chance!

~*~*~*~

Waiting for the New Republic to attack the Federation
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Regulations exist for a reason, as does discipline. They are an important part of an effective and well-ordered military or naval force, and should not be freely disregarded at the discretion of a commanding officer.

Regulations are promulgated to protect the safety and competence not only of the officers and enlisted personnel themselves, but also the ship, and the service as a whole. They are not simply pharisaical rules invented for no other purpose than to annoy people, or to inhibit effectiveness or suchlike.

Captain Picard's regular -- indeed, routine -- violation of regulations is no small matter. The man is a walking engraved invitation in iambic pentameter to a board of inquiry, or even a court-martial.

His merits as an explorer or as a diplomat relative to Captain Jellico are up for debate. But, as a commissioned officer of the naval service, he is very much Captain Jellico's inferior.

Publius
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

While Picard's treatment of Wesley seems to be unusually good for him, remember how Miles looked on Jellico as being a really good guy, as well as a great captain. Since I generally think of O'Brien as being very capable, and I kind of like his character and think of him as being honest and forthcoming, I tend to trust his opinion on matters like this, even though we have seen very little of Jellico.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

MOO: you sure you don't mean captain Maxwell there MOO? because O'Brien wasn't onboard when Jelico was in command.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

TheDarkling wrote:MOO: you sure you don't mean captain Maxwell there MOO? because O'Brien wasn't onboard when Jelico was in command.
D'OH! I screwed up. Sorry, everyone. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Well Maxwell is another example of a good Starfleet Officer. True, he did make a mistake, infact a pretty damned big one. But other then that, he still has all the qualities of a good officer. He seemed to be a comination of Jellico and Picard. Effective and militaristic, but also has an extremely loyal crew who was willing to comit treason with their captain.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

I kind of liked Jellico, he was a bit of a Malcolm-McDowell-type hardass, even if it seemed he was out of his element on the E-D.