A question on Shinzon's age...

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

A question on Shinzon's age...

Post by EmperorMing »

Shinzon was what, 18 years old during the timeframe of this movie, correct? If so, then how the heck was he involved in 10 'major' engagements during the war with Cardassia? And at what timeframe was he released form the dilithium mines? Doesn't make sense to me...

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: A question on Shinzon's age...

Post by Kuja »

EmperorMing wrote:Shinzon was what, 18 years old during the timeframe of this movie, correct? If so, then how the heck was he involved in 10 'major' engagements during the war with Cardassia? And at what timeframe was he released form the dilithium mines? Doesn't make senseto me...
Welcome to ST!
JADAFETWA
kmart
Youngling

Post by kmart »

I'm pretty sure the script that was online last year had him in his mid-to-late 20s, but I don't think his age is mentioned in the film. That figure would tie in with the thing floating around the net that the Romulans decided to clone him around the time he lost the STARGAZER, since that was nearly 10 years prior to the -D putting to space.

That doesn't address the WHY of cloning him in particular or much of anything else for that matter, but it does address continuity to a slight degree.

It was bad enough that the writing for the character was so all over the place, but I think the casting and costuming were the final nails in the coffin. The outfit made him appear terribly insubstantial right from the git-go, and his performance was far from compelling (his intro scene on the stairs has a couple moments when, due to the lighting, Shinzon looks a little like Wesley! Scariest moment in the movie for me!)

Anybody else think Data should have gently told Picard to 'shut up' before putting the transporter gimmick on him? I think if they'd played it right, that kind of exchange (followed by appropriate reaction shots) could have been really moving, since Picard sez that to Data during the wedding.
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

The scene where he was first introduced in the movie showed that he couldn't even walk in the costume! At least GL can do better than that...

Seriously, the age thing cracks me up. Another example of stupidity in action...

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!