Best Trek Uniforms

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I am going to say a tie between TWOK and ENT uniforms with DS9 uniforms coming in a decent second.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

I still think the pilot episode uniforms looked better, but the TOS Starfleet uniforms were functional and militaristic enough
Same Here, my favorite Star Trek Uniforms. I just can't really warm up the others, despite some being more practical.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

TOS Uniforms have the bonus of the micro-skirt female models :wink: but TWOK era uniforms seem to have a more naval-look to them, more befitting an actual starfleet. STMP was on here today, and boy did those uniforms just NOT look right, to put it mildly :P
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

I remember George Takei said in an interview that one of the casts' collective demands to return for more Trek movies after TMP was to give them better clothes to wear than the space pajamas...
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Random trivia: when the TWoK uniforms were being made, the budget was so tight that the costumers were forced to recycle as much of the TMP uniforms as they could. They experimented with a few colours and found that red dye caught well on the existing white uniforms, so they used the dyed versions as the trainee and tech crew uniforms and made matching jackets for the senior crew.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Bounty wrote:Random trivia: when the TWoK uniforms were being made, the budget was so tight that the costumers were forced to recycle as much of the TMP uniforms as they could.
I got the impression the budget for TWoK was comparatively low when they recycled some of the Enterprise's external montages when it was moored up in the orbital dock - but The Undiscovered Country seemed to have a bigger and slicker budget (likely due to the resurgence in Trek with TNG).
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

I like the TWoK uniforms the best. Beyond the lack of pockets they aren't too impractical. I think they'd be a good Class-A type uniform.

The First Contact uniforms are good casual duty uniforms.

The TOS miniskirt is just something I need to get my girlfriend in some day. :)

As for those Insurrection dress uniforms...I thought Picard and company looked like waiters at a fancy hotel in those things (which one could argue the Ent-D was...).
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Any commentary on any of the Non-Starfleet uniforms? Jem'Hadar had some somewhat practical uniforms. And the Breen garb certainly fulfilled a purpose (which was to look as much like Boussch as possible.)
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

I liked the DS9 Romulan look, it's basically the TNG Romulan look only less 80s, darker grey, and generally more streamlined and professional.

Jem'Hadar, yeah really nice.

Cardassian Uniforms seem okay.

From what we know of the Tholian from ENT, they run around naked. Still manage to look good.
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

My favourite uniforms are easily the TWOK uniforms.

The original movie era, with the obvious exception of ST V, is the golden age of Trek in my books.
Big Orange wrote:I got the impression the budget for TWoK was comparatively low when they recycled some of the Enterprise's external montages when it was moored up in the orbital dock - but The Undiscovered Country seemed to have a bigger and slicker budget (likely due to the resurgence in Trek with TNG).
Budgets courtesy of IMDb:

ST I: $35,000,000
ST II: $11,000,000
ST VI: $30,000,000

Meyer was rather clever, given the budget constraints and the schedule. A lot more than just the external montages were recycled from The Motion Picture: Regula laboratory model, Reliant bridge set being the same as Enterprise's with minor modifications and different camera angles, etc.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Meyer was rather clever, given the budget constraints and the schedule. A lot more than just the external montages were recycled from The Motion Picture: Regula laboratory model, Reliant bridge set being the same as Enterprise's with minor modifications and different camera angles, etc.
If you ever have the chance, see the movie with the Okuda's text commentary. It's amazing how clever Meyer was in cutting corners. For example -

- the opening spinning starfield is actually a competely accurate, computer-generated image. How? They hauled a camera to a planetarium, pointed it up and ran the lightshow.

- the distorted computer images on the bridge screens during the attack and later in the nebula were made by slightly misaligning a VCR head and running the tape.

- the Enterprise bridge, transporter room, corridors and engineering all double as those of Reliant. The transporter room also served as the one on Regula. The bridge of the Klingon battlecruiser in TMP was chopped up into the torpedo bay and reactor control room. Regula's control room was cobbled together from bits of Phase II sets and rented props.

- Khan's "home" on Ceti Alpha was decorated with leftover props from other movies. An ornament in the corner started life as a space cruiser on another movie.

The best part, of course, is that Meyer only got the job because he said he could do the movie for a third of TMP's cost - and then brought it in under budget.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Skylon wrote:The TOS miniskirt is just something I need to get my girlfriend in some day. :)
Both the TOS uniform and the Leia Slave Girl outfit are every geek male's fantasy. :)
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

As long as it's on someone who's not fat...

Apparently in the TOS TV Federation Starfleet and the Terran Empire of all eras, woman have to constantly work out.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

ShadowSonic wrote:As long as it's on someone who's not fat...

Apparently in the TOS TV Federation Starfleet and the Terran Empire of all eras, woman have to constantly work out.
One would naturally expect a regular physical fitness routine for a military.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

General Zod wrote:

Well that explains quite a bit, like how the TNG starfleet can claim to not be a military organization. They clearly don't have a manditory physical fitness routine explaining how Riker and others can be so out of shape. :P
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Mobird53
Redshirt

Post by Mobird53 »

I Think the unform from the time ships that were in voyager wher good. not to mention the comm badge.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

For the proof of that, watch Yeoman Marta Landon kick the crap out of several of the Feeders of Vaal trying to kill her and the Enterprise landing party in "The Apple". 8)
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Bounty wrote:- the distorted computer images on the bridge screens during the attack and later in the nebula were made by slightly misaligning a VCR head and running the tape.
That ain't cost cutting, that's a standard video effects trick. :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Bounty wrote:The best part, of course, is that Meyer only got the job because he said he could do the movie for a third of TMP's cost - and then brought it in under budget.
I'm really sure that the person who said he could bring the movie in at a much lower budget was Harve Bennett.

I would also suggest that many of the cost-cutting measures were ideas and implementations of the production team as a whole, not just Meyer.
Oberleutnant wrote:Budgets courtesy of IMDb:

ST I: $35,000,000
ST II: $11,000,000
ST VI: $30,000,000
To be fair, part of the $35M for TMP came from money that had been spent on the aborted Phase II project.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

TWOK - TUC uniforms are best. However, I wish they'd retained the color coding of the TOS uniforms for the tunic and given everyone the white turtleneck.

The green, grey, gold and bright red turtlenecks range from ugly to butt-ugly with the maroon tunic.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Darth Servo wrote:
General Zod wrote:

Well that explains quite a bit, like how the TNG starfleet can claim to not be a military organization. They clearly don't have a manditory physical fitness routine explaining how Riker and others can be so out of shape. :P
It would make sense if officers above a certain rank weren't required to participate in physical fitness routines anymore, and thus some had the privilege of letting themselves go. . .but for someone that goes on an away mission frequently it's not very reasonable. :?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

General Zod wrote:
It would make sense if officers above a certain rank weren't required to participate in physical fitness routines anymore, and thus some had the privilege of letting themselves go. . .but for someone that goes on an away mission frequently it's not very reasonable. :?
Maybe Riker just exempted himself from PT, I've served under officers that did that. He's the XO, whose going to argue with him?
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Maybe Riker just exempted himself from PT, I've served under officers that did that. He's the XO, whose going to argue with him?
The captain? The doctor?
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Darth Servo wrote: The captain? The doctor?
I would assume that they would object.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Darth Servo wrote: The captain? The doctor?
I would assume that they would object.
Kirk was seen giving McCoy a full physical workout as part of the latter's crew evaluations during the episode "The Corbomite Maneuver". No exceptions were made.

Whether McCoy took a physical is not known, but it seems likely.

What's that? You're talking about pudgy Riker and The Fat Generation? Nevermind then. TOS is deader than the dodo.