The blind leading the delusional

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stravo wrote:With that said, its sad to read these threads and see that there are some Borg drone Trekkies that refuse to see that the franchise is ill. I have been a Trekker most of my life (I was exposed to Wars first but LOVED TOS. So like Spock I am a child of both franchises :wink: ) and I saw this coming with DS9. Voyager was the death sentence and Boobyprise the actual execution.
I'm the same, I saw Star Wars first but absolutely loved TOS, and after hating the first 2 seasons of TNG I got into for the characters. DS9 wasn't brilliant but Voyager.... FUcking arsewipe Voyager showed how low the producers could go. And now Nemesis! It doesn't open here in th UK until January the 3rd, and the trailer prefaces the TTT movie giving it a high lead-in marketing, plus the trailer is on most the Cable and Satellite channels. Yet with all the aid and promotion, asking anyone if their going to see it invariably gets you a shrug and a maybe. :(

I've seen every ST movie at the cinema when they came out (Except for Shatner Meets God) and I will probably go to see this, but if it's anywhere close to the Annotated script that was put on the net, I know I'm going to be disappointed. The annoying thing is that a few very small changes to the Annotated script could have made it a damned fine film.

Hopefully we won't have to suffer from a ST: Lesserprise movie, what studio will stump uup the cash for a series with only 2 veiwers?
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

paladin wrote:
neoolong wrote:Yes, after the initial LOTR excitement dwindles. :roll:
LOTR will probably make in the opening weekend what Nemesis will make for its entire run in theatres.
LOTR : TTT opening weekend = $62,007,528

Nemesis Total box office after 2 weeks = $26,466,862

Oh dear! :wink:
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Master of Ossus wrote:BTW, I find it astonishing how every Trekkie out there is now trying to pit "Maid in Manhattan" against "Nemesis." They are now determined to beat J. Lo. What they don't seem to realize is that Star Trek has ALREADY lost if it has to fight against that. Even if they DO manage to turn things around and eke out a box-office victory against "Maid," they won't stand a chance at saving the franchise if it's really in trouble.
Maid in Manhattan Opening weekend = $18,711,407 - Total after 2 weeks = $35,256,011
Nemesis Opening Weekend = $18,513,305 - Total after 2 weeks = $26,466,862.

Looks like they lost on both fronts there. :twisted:

Image Image
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Comparing AOTC's opening weekend = $80,027,814
with Nemesis's Opening weekend = $18,513,305

now in it's second week Nemesis had a weekend take of $4,415,081 and the earnings for the two sets of week days = $3,538,476 giving a 2 week combined total = $26,466,862, if we are generous and say that Nemesis goes on to earn $6,000,000 a week (approx what it's just failing to do now), it will only take it an additional 9 weeks to match AOTC's opening weekend (that's 11 weeks in total)... Well ST sure knows how to make a blockbuster doesn't it. :roll:

Image Image