Transporter question. Why is the Federation so dumb.

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Transporter question. Why is the Federation so dumb.

Post by DocMoriartty »

In ST:Nemesis Picard gets beamed off the E-E without warning to the Scimitar.

Now this really got me thinking. In the ST world anything more dangerous than a Klingon's fart ( and maybe even those) cause interference that blocks transporters signals.

Yet a Federation ship has NOTHING at all running to block transporters when the combat shields are down.

Would it not be logical to have a low level magnetic field (which according to First Contact will block transport) around your ship at all times to keep enemies from doing exactly what they did to Picard?

Or am I just thinking way too fucking logically for the ST world?
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Transporter question. Why is the Federation so dumb.

Post by Enlightenment »

DocMoriartty wrote:Or am I just thinking way too fucking logically for the ST world?
Did you really need to ask that question?

Trek writers have repeatedly demonstrated that they are either incapable or unwilling to show the continuity necessary to employ Trek technology rationally. By default, anyone who goes 'hey, why didn't they....' is thinking far too logically for the ST universe.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Anymore Logic has no place in Star Trek other than as the Vulcans religion
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

It would hurt them if they made clear deffinitions (considering that they're not all that consistent) of what they can and cannot do.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Trek caters to entertainment. Simple as that.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Shinova wrote:Trek caters to entertainment. Simple as that.
It does? :shock:
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Pcm979 wrote:
It does? :shock:
Yep. Shocking, huh?
JADAFETWA
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Seems to be failing at that too.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

Could have fooled me. :roll:
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
paladin
Jedi Master

Re: Transporter question. Why is the Federation so dumb.

Post by paladin »

DocMoriartty wrote:In ST:Nemesis Picard gets beamed off the E-E without warning to the Scimitar.

Now this really got me thinking. In the ST world anything more dangerous than a Klingon's fart ( and maybe even those) cause interference that blocks transporters signals.

Yet a Federation ship has NOTHING at all running to block transporters when the combat shields are down.

Would it not be logical to have a low level magnetic field (which according to First Contact will block transport) around your ship at all times to keep enemies from doing exactly what they did to Picard?

Or am I just thinking way too fucking logically for the ST world?
Ah, yes. Logic and ST, two subjects that do not match,
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

They had their shields down because of Starfleet protocal on diplomatic missions, they don't want to seem in anyway hostile. Apparently that means protecting themself. Shielding from transporter would be consider this.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

This would be the same moronic thought process that believes that the USA is developing an offensive weapon in its ABM defense system.

anarchistbunny wrote:They had their shields down because of Starfleet protocal on diplomatic missions, they don't want to seem in anyway hostile. Apparently that means protecting themself. Shielding from transporter would be consider this.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

DocMoriartty wrote:This would be the same moronic thought process that believes that the USA is developing an offensive weapon in its ABM defense system.
<ahem>

While not an offensive system in and of itself, a largescale ABM system enables offensive nuclear war as it undermines MAD by making an offensive first strike survivable.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

anarchistbunny wrote:They had their shields down because of Starfleet protocal on diplomatic missions, they don't want to seem in anyway hostile. Apparently that means protecting themself. Shielding from transporter would be consider this.
PICARD: We don't want anyone being beamed off our ship without knowing about it, so we're putting up this low-level manetic field. That cool with you?

SHINZON: I knew it! You're the aggressor here! Fire all weapons!
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

Federation + common sense = PHYSICAL IMPOSSIBILITY
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.