A look at the Argo (spoilers, dur)

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

A look at the Argo (spoilers, dur)

Post by Alferd Packer »

First impressions:
The Argo, a very recent addition to the Federation arsenal, is the first wheeled vehicle I can remember seeing in ST. It looks like it would be hella fun to drive, but only moderately useful.

What we see(features and capabilities):
It seems to fit the role of a light-combat/scout/support vehicle. It fits three people, two front and one rear, seems to be a front-engine (based on the vehicle's design), four-wheel drive (evidenced by the front axles visible in several shots), offroad-type light truck. It bears a resemblence to a HumVee or Jeep, with a readily visible heavy duty suspension and large tires and high ground clearance, and as such, probably serves a similar purpose. It appears capable of relatively high speeds (~100km/h), and Picard seems to have no difficulty driving it (probably an automatic, heh :wink: ).

The rear seat doubles as a turret for a vehicle-mounted phaser cannon, which seems to pack quite a wallop (greater than that of a phaser rifle). We see it fire fairly rapidly (3 shots in under a second at one point) and a single shot easily destroys a pursuing vehicle. It seems to only be able to be aimed towards things behind and to the sides of the vehicle, calling its possible role as an assault vehicle into doubt. It is possible that the phaser cannon can be removed and fitted into a notch in the roll cage for forward fire (I could think of no other reason for the notch being there), but this is never done, and is likely not the case.

The vehicle's chassis is apparently fairly robust, as it is pelted repeatedly with bullets and seems to suffer no or superficial damage. In any case, its performance is not impacted (no mention of fuel tank/cell rupture, tire damage, or the like). It does, however, carry very little armor for protecting the vehicle's occupants, so it would probably be of little use in a heavy ground campaign.

Conclusion:
The Argo is an interesting vehicle, but its main use is probably that of a support role. It is probably most useful when transporters are unavailable (like due to an ion storm, as was in the movie), and shuttlecraft would be detected, but speed and stealth would be paramount. It is capable offroad and has modest supporting firepower. I doubt it could stand up to any but the lightest of Imperial vehicles, however, because it simply doesn't have the armor for it.

Final verdict: It may not be the most useful of vehicles, but I'd sure as hell like to go tear-assing across the Mojave desert with one. :mrgreen:
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Should have been hover tanks...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Given the bumpiness of the ride shown in the movie, I would expect it to be somewhat dangerous to mount the phaser above the turret. That would require the passenger in the rear/gunner to adopt a standing position in order to use the weapon, which would prevent him from wearing a seat belt. It's possible he could be held in place through some other means, but I didn't see anything like that in the movie.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Master of Ossus wrote:It's possible he could be held in place through some other means, but I didn't see anything like that in the movie.
We do this already....it's called the Humvee with the turret mounted
.50 CAL HMG or the Turret mounted TOW launcher...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

MKSheppard wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:It's possible he could be held in place through some other means, but I didn't see anything like that in the movie.
We do this already....it's called the Humvee with the turret mounted
.50 CAL HMG or the Turret mounted TOW launcher...
And did you see any sort of restraint system similar to the one used on the Humvee on the Argo?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."