My wife is an artist, and here's what happened...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kodiak
Jedi Master

My wife is an artist, and here's what happened...

Post by Kodiak »

So, a couple of years ago I was helping my wife get set up w/ some online advertising for her business as a mural artist. I advertised on craig'slist and had a website made for her. I also set her up with an account on a "Muralist Locator" website which helps people find artists that meet their needs. Also, this site would send "leads" to her inbox several times a month which usually didn't pan-out into full-blown jobs. I've left the account active, paying the monthly fee, and not really paid attention to it.

Today I got the e-mail that the credit card we used is no longer good (because we moved) and went to renew the subscription. I went to browse the site and found that she is the NUMBER 2 MOST VIEWED ARTIST ON THE SITE :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyhow, apparently there has been a "feud" going on between her and some schmuck about who can get the most clicks on their page and this guy was totally convinced that my wife just sat at a computer clicking the mouse button several hundred times per day to inflate her "score" (my wife hates sitting still immensely, and computers even more, so this is ridiculous). I was going to cancel the account (Lacy just had a baby and isn't looking to paint any time soon) but since this ass-horse decided to declare a Vendetta against my wife, not only did I renew the subscription but I uploaded a bunch of new photos. You can check out her profile and see what all the fuss is about.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Re: My wife is an artist, and here's what happened...

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

And just like that, I discovered my sister-in-law's middle name was 'Nicole'. How exactly did this guy declare a 'vendetta'? How did you find OUT about this Feud in the first place? Did they send you nasty emails or something?

Edit: Damn, I forgot how much I loved the monkey-in-space mural she did.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Kodiak wrote:Anyhow, apparently there has been a "feud" going on between her and some schmuck about who can get the most clicks on their page and this guy was totally convinced that my wife just sat at a computer clicking the mouse button several hundred times per day to inflate her "score"
Wouldn't work anyway, since the site apparently tracks unique visitors per day, not page refreshes. Besides I'm sure if it did he'd already have used that trick. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I love the Eastern Fairy Tale one. I'd have that in any room of my house.

My main question is how the hell did a webcomic wannabe get into a "feud" with a mural artist?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Look guys, clearly this is a ruse perpetrated by Kodiak's (I sincerely doubt that is even his real name) "wife" and "Lacy" hacked his SDN account and is using it to sucker us into clicking the links and scoring her page more hits. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she has done this on hundreds... no, THOUSANDS of BBSs. I wouldn't put it past this "Lacy" to have completely made up Kodiak and his "Twin Brother" (How convenient) CaptainChewbacca. (Obviously a girl made that account, otherwise they would know that Han Solo is the captain!)

I'm on to you "Lacy"! Don't fall for her dastardly scheme!!!

P.S. Great murals. I am jealous as I could never get into painting. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Great murals.

If I ever live in California, I know who to get for a mural. How much does she charge, anyway?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Starglider wrote:Wouldn't work anyway, since the site apparently tracks unique visitors per day, not page refreshes. Besides I'm sure if it did he'd already have used that trick. :P
So there's no way to artificially inflate your view-count then? Unless you post it on a BBS 8)
weemadando wrote:My main question is how the hell did a webcomic wannabe get into a "feud" with a mural artist?
Not sure where the 'webcomic' comment came from, but as near as I could tell from ridiculous e-mails that there was some other artist (these were anonymous, so I have no idea who it was) who was totally butt-hurt because their view-count was getting trashed by Lacy consistently and in a big way (she's been averaging 20 hits per day for the past 2 years). There were several posts regarding the "Great Theater" that was being played out between Lacy's viewcount and this other artist, and if I hadn't been reading this at 2am I'm sure I would've thought to save them. The person was downright insulting, saying things like "Yeah, you have 5 murals up and 15000 views. I guess you have 3000 friends?" and "You mouse-click better than you paint". :roll:
Thanas wrote:If I ever live in California, I know who to get for a mural. How much does she charge, anyway?
There's a "pricing" section on her website which explains her rates. She does a concept sketch of a design on 11"x17" paper that she typically charges $200-$400 for. If the person then goes forward with the mural, this cost is absorbed into the total. The most recent murals on her profile at the clinic in Los Gatos ran about $2k-$3k apiece. She's willing to work within most any budget, but she is running a business. Most of the inquiries she gets are from people who think that a mural= a poster and want something 8'x15' and are looking to pay around $500 :banghead:
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

So this guy has been sending rude/insulting emails to Lacy for the past 9 months?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:So this guy has been sending rude/insulting emails to Lacy for the past 9 months?
He's been posting snarky reviews of her murals. Those comments have been deleted.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP

tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Man, there was a guy doing that to my friend on a forum for live music photographers. When I found out about it I went to town.

If When I win lotto I'm flying the Knudsens to Australia to decorate the bedrooms of my children and paint Ando's shed.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

tim31 wrote:If When I win lotto I'm flying the Knudsens to Australia to decorate the bedrooms of my children and paint Ando's shed.
Sounds like a plan mang, we'll have a great time.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I viewed the page to give you another unique visitor, in order to spite a douchebag.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Thanks to everyone for clicking on her profile link- she got over 100 views yesterday! Thanks for the support.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP

Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

Holy crap, she's good. :shock: Seriously, those are beautiful paintings....
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Simply fantastic artwork, Kodiak. Pass along the word from me, would you?
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Well, I have to wonder if she can ever do some artwork for Stuart's novel.

Great artwork though.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.