I wish to commission an artist.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

I wish to commission an artist.

Post by gigabytelord »

In line with a rather fruitful thread that I started in the sci-fi forum, I was wondering if there was anyway to commission several works of digital art, preferably in full color.

The images, one now and the second at a later date, need to be of a decently high resolution (ie around 1920X1200 for right now, not to large, just testing the waters)

The first picture will be of a Valhalla Class Battlecarrier being flanked by several nine hundred meter assault frigates.

The Valhalla class Battlecarrier is 12km long and roughly 3.7km wide at is widest point, it looks similar in shape to nuclear submarines used by the USSR and USN during the 20th century, (this being the era I was basing much the universes culture and politics on, I figured it would appropriate) except that the bulge near the bow, on the top, center, is elongated down the center toward the aft of the vessel.
There are two secondary, smaller bulges running down both the port and starboard sides, these side bulges start just over one kilometer from the bow and aft and rise on a slow curve from twenty meters to just under nine hundred, this is designed so that the gun emplacements can be staggered to allow at least eight full rail batteries to fire regardless of the ships angle, in any given direction.
The propellers and stabilizer are replaced with properly sized backup nuclear thrusters, I changed my mind and decided to include them in the design for several reasons, but those are not important.

I will link modern sub diagrams for reference.

Also here is a link to show the type of art style I would prefer but if anyone has any advise for different types I'm open to suggestions, also fell free to contact me with your commission rates via the forum pm or email.

I do not own this work or any thing related to it, the copyright belongs to it's respective owners, I'm just using it for reference.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Re: I wish to commission an artist.

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I'm not a professional (I don't think SDN has that many who are), and I don't do digital except simple 3d modeling. But I think I can try and rig up a model for free just to give an idea for others what it would look like.

Now if you wanted traditional art scanned I am capable of doing that, but again not really at a "professional" level, more of a student level.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

You should maybe try and sketch out roughly what you mean. It shouldn't be too hard for you to sketch a tube with a few bumps on it so people can see what you're after. You mention batteries of guns, etc but there's not a lot in the way of detail mentioned, so you might want to include a bit more detail in the brief. I'd also think on the proportions and dimensions. You're saying its very like a scaled up modern Borei missile sub, but then set proportions only about 4 times longer than it is wide. The sub is about 10 times longer than it is wide, making it look slim and long.
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Okay, I'll see if I can sketch up something a little later today, but beware, I have experience drawing maps, that's it, so great beauty it will not be.

I wish I could draw something other than maps but I fail every time.

Also the ship it's self averages out to just under 2km in width, the bulge on the sides would make it appear that it is wider than it really is, from the top or bottom, but then again it really is that wide at the point between bulges.

Ninja edit I:

After some reviewing I think I'll go with 12km in length, 1km in width, and just over 2km wide at the port/starboard bulges, other wise it looks really fat, and I'm trying to keep a little style with my utility, I guess I would say?
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Okay it took me all day to complete, because of work but this is what I'm looking for.

Drawing this in MS paint was interesting.

Ninja edit I:

The surface of the ship is not completely smooth, in my mind it has the appearance of, I guess segmented plates? very tough looking, the color pattern would probably be a mix of dark colors seeing as it's already hard to hide something this large, if it's large and lightly colored it would be even harder.