It has begun (VSD conversion)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Hmm... if the two rearmost turrets in #5 were placed slightly outward of the other three, they could fire "beside" the other turrets. The guns would also still be as close to the reactor as the front-most superstructure-mounted turrets. Bump #5 to the top of my list, too.

As to the turret configuration, the "cluster" layout is both more visually appealing and closer to the Clone Wars standard.

Note that I haven't seen the layout of the Acclamator's turrets, only the ones of the Seperatist ships and the Venator. I'd say go with whatever the Acclamator's layout is.

One more thing before I stop rambling: am I the only one who thinks that having the Victory-class actually be the Victor-class would be a good thing, continuity-wise? It keeps with the latinesque -or names of the rest of the Republican and Imperial ships, and the Victory name could be, like Imperial, a post-war rename (in celebration of the victory in the Clone Wars?).
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Hey I never thought of that, but thats a great Idea! "Victor" Class fits in well with Imperator and Acclamator.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

I've toyed around with the idea of naming the CW version "Victor" class, but received the "y" following the creation of the Empire, similar to how the Imperator became the Imperial. On the other hand, the latinesque names seem to be a hallmark of KDY, so it may not necessarily fit in with the whole scheme.

Regarding the Acclamator main batteries, the guns are in a cluster arrangement. The idea behind the linear configuration would be to allow for a narrower profile, as well as transition over to the eventual ISD-II design somewhat.

EDIT: I'd like IP's take on this as well, as he's been tremendously helpful in pointing me in the right direction.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Firefox wrote:I've toyed around with the idea of naming the CW version "Victor" class, but received the "y" following the creation of the Empire, similar to how the Imperator became the Imperial. On the other hand, the latinesque names seem to be a hallmark of KDY, so it may not necessarily fit in with the whole scheme.
According to the official site, the Acclamator wasn't a KDY ship either. It was made by Rothana Heavy Engineering (if that's a KDY subsidary, feel free to correct me).
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

RHE is a KDY subsidiary, so that's still within KDY's naming scheme.

Anyway, this is the current arms arrangement on mind. Note the secondary double TLs positioned on the wing roots. Originally, I worried that these were too far from the superstructure, then realized that those mounted in the brim trenches were even further, so that problem was nullified. These sixteen batteries have a better firing arc, with eight above supplementing the heavy armament, while the eight below cover the ventral arc.

Another item of note is that the QTLs abreast the superstructure are spread further aft now. I'm going to mount them on pedestals that will be flush with that portion of the superstructure.

This evening, I've added more bondo to a low spot on the forward dorsal hull, where the forward terrace was on the original AMT kit. I'd like to avoid having to install a similar terrace here, since I think it looks better without it.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote: According to the official site, the Acclamator wasn't a KDY ship either. It was made by Rothana Heavy Engineering (if that's a KDY subsidary, feel free to correct me).
http://www.starwars.com/databank/starsh ... hip/?id=eu
The secret KDY subsidiary on Rothana crafted the Acclamator-class transport ship.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

FedRebel wrote:*snip link*
Heh, I was only one click short... :oops: :lol:

I really like the positions of the secondary guns. With the heavy TLs, though, could something like this work? It should make less obstructions for the guns firing forward and aft.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I like that better, as well.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

I like it as well, putting the last two turrets up on the Super structure gives them an almost 360 degree arc of fire which lets the fire behind if ever needs as well as stright ahead over the others which are in a line.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

All right. I'll bite. The other arrangement would've worked for a frontal barrage if the bow was dipped, but I suppose I see little problem with GMJ's configuration.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Minor update. I've started on the primary turret mounts (three in place on either side of the superstructure, so far). I've also hollowed out the resin nozzles so I can install the burners. The burners are knicked from the wheels of a 1:48 F-105 kit, since they kind of look like something you'd see inside such an engine.

Hopefully next update will see scribing completed, and a coat of Future applied to seal the primer finish before I start to festoon the build with greeblies.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Okay, so I lied in my last update about waiting until scribing is finished. Here's what I have so far:

Picture.

It's pretty rough at this point. Tomorrow I'll be going over it with sandpaper and scribe the lines to make them a little more prominent. Also note the turret mounts are in place. I won't be adding any more greeblies until after the Future coat.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

FireFox, you rock, totally, If this ever become a production modle i'd pay 50$ for one.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!