Having children: Blood or Person?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

kojikun
BANNED

Having children: Blood or Person?

Post by kojikun »

When you are going to have a child, does it matter to you that their blood
is yours, or do you care that you can raise a child? What importance is a
few genes to you, in terms of the childs value in your eyes? Is adopting
just as good as fathering/mothering a child yourself, or does the childs
DNA really matter that much that you can't overlook that of an adopted
child because it just isn't yours? What merit is there in having your own,
and what is important, the person that the child becomes, or the genes
being half yours? Is it telling of our engrained phobias of difference that we
care more about DNA and blood ties than we do about the quality of a
person's character? And if we do care about DNA more than character,
what makes that any different than caring about skin colour? Where is the
line of prejudice drawn that deems racism bad but genetic prejudice ok? Is
it even right to even compare the two, or is there really something
extremely important about sharing blood, despite humans being reasoning
thinking beings that can overcome our beastial instincts?
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Super-Gagme
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Super-Gagme »

I'm racist because I want kids of my own and not to adopt. Yep. Thank you Koji for enlightening me.
History? I love history! First, something happens, then, something else happens! It's so sequential!! Thank you first guy, for writing things down!

evilcat4000: I dont spam

Cairbur: The Bible can, and has, been used to prove anything and everything (practically!)
StarshipTitanic: Prove it.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Super-Gagme wrote:I'm racist because I want kids of my own and not to adopt. Yep. Thank you Koji for enlightening me.
Don't be a fucking moron. I'm playing devils advocate, hence the questioning of the validity of that very comparison. I asked questions, the point is to discuss those questions, not attack me because I asked the full gamut.
Super-Gagme
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Super-Gagme »

Because I feel a spiritual connection in my heart, call it love, for the idea of raising something I created and is a physical piece of me, my heart warms to the thought of being at every step and making sure they live a better life than me.

If you think that is simply beastial instinct, then I am sorry for you. Love isn't just impulses in the brain, not true love. While physically it may be, mentally it is more.
History? I love history! First, something happens, then, something else happens! It's so sequential!! Thank you first guy, for writing things down!

Cairbur: The Bible can, and has, been used to prove anything and everything (practically!)
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Super-Gagme wrote:Love isn't just impulses in the brain, not true love. While physically it may be, mentally it is more.
That's very contradictory. And not part of this discussion. We've been arguing over AIM for quite some time and you insist on stopping, yet you continue to post, apparently to bring deperate topics into this one. Don't do that, it's rude.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Wow, talk about an asstastic line of reasoning. Koji, if you are going to think yourself clever for playing Devil's Advocate, perhaps you should drop all the fallacies in that opening post and try again, hmm?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

I tried my best to put it into words. I think the main question got through tho: Why is blood so important in a child, should it be, and why?
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

When you are going to have a child, does it matter to you that their blood is yours, or do you care that you can raise a child?
False dichotomy.
What importance is a few genes to you, in terms of the childs value in your eyes? Is adopting just as good as fathering/mothering a child yourself, or does the childs DNA really matter that much that you can't overlook that of an adopted child because it just isn't yours?
This is moronic, because I want kids of my own doesn't mean I don't want to/wouldn't adopt kids too.
What merit is there in having your own, and what is important, the person that the child becomes, or the genes being half yours?
You say this like either a kid being adopted or mine by reproduction has any impact on whether it'll be a good person or not. It doesn't.
Is it telling of our engrained phobias of difference that we care more about DNA and blood ties than we do about the quality of a person's character?
Yes, genes don't care that much about whether someone is a nice person or not, they do have a vested interest in survival though.
And if we do care about DNA more than character, what makes that any different than caring about skin colour?
Different types of prejudice, one's comparing a naturally selected preference of looking after your own progeny compared to at most indifference of other people's offspring (which is a trait i wouldn't accuse anyone of actually having), the other is .
Where is the line of prejudice drawn that deems racism bad but genetic prejudice ok?
Preferring your own children is hardly comparable, it serves a very obvious biological function that's ingrained into us.
Is it even right to even compare the two,
No.
or is there really something extremely important about sharing blood, despite humans being reasoning thinking beings that can overcome our beastial instincts?
I guess we should give up love in general, since that shows favouritism, or love everyone the same. Pfft. Nonsense.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

kojikun wrote:I tried my best to put it into words. I think the main question got through tho: Why is blood so important in a child, should it be, and why?
I was referring to your braindamaged leaps in logic where you liken wanting your own offspring to racism, Kojikun. I realize that things like Logic hurt your claims to brilliance, but try to use it when in SLAM. It makes you look less like a flaming retarded troll.

To answer your question: It isn't. I have known many familes who adopted and they love their children equally.

Do people still want to have their own kids? Of course. If you were more on the ball, you'd realize that this is simply the natural instinct to propagate. But no, you have to try and make such retarded statements as 'Wanting your own children == Racism!!!!111oneoneeleven'
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

SirNitram wrote:I was referring to your braindamaged leaps in logic where you liken wanting your own offspring to racism, Kojikun.
Hence the reason I specifically asked if such a comparison was even valid? Stop attacking me for asking a question who's validity is part of the conversation. It was asked to be discussed, not to be asserted.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Who said it has to be important?

My big brother was 'step-parent adopted' by my dad when I was just barely a year old, but even before then, Dad treated him like a son. He grew up, married a divorcee, and adopted his wife's two girls. He always treated them as Dad treated him, as a full-blooded child.

My little brother fell in love with a pregnant woman. Her little boy never knew another father, and his first word was to call my lil'brother "Daaa-Eeeee!". Is he blood? No. Has he been adopted? Not yet, they can't affored it. Is he my brother's son, and treated as such? YES. He is treated any different from his little brother, who's the true blood relation? No.

While there might be a genetic imperitive to 'carry on your genes', humans have grown beyond that. In this day and age of civilization, 'Carrying On' applies more to carrying the 'family name', or raising a child to believe as you do. Blood and genetics are secondary.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

kojikun wrote:
SirNitram wrote:I was referring to your braindamaged leaps in logic where you liken wanting your own offspring to racism, Kojikun.
Hence the reason I specifically asked if such a comparison was even valid? Stop attacking me for asking a question who's validity is part of the conversation. It was asked to be discussed, not to be asserted.
How the fuck can a question which is utterly founded upon a logical fallacy be valid for a second, moron? Again, this is SLAM. Note the L. I know you hate it, but.

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

LadyTevar wrote:While there might be a genetic imperitive to 'carry on your genes', humans have grown beyond that. In this day and age of civilization, 'Carrying On' applies more to carrying the 'family name', or raising a child to believe as you do. Blood and genetics are secondary.
You and IB seem to get the points of my discussion threads more than most people. ::hug:: I LOVE YOU TWO. ;.;
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

SirNitram wrote:How the fuck can a question which is utterly founded upon a logical fallacy be valid for a second, moron? Again, this is SLAM. Note the L. I know you hate it, but.
And I know you hate reading, but perhaps you should do so. I explicity asked where the line was drawn between preferencing people based on skin colour and preferencing children based on shared DNA. There is no logically fallacy, because there is no assertion or logic to consider.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

kojikun wrote:
SirNitram wrote:How the fuck can a question which is utterly founded upon a logical fallacy be valid for a second, moron? Again, this is SLAM. Note the L. I know you hate it, but.
And I know you hate reading, but perhaps you should do so. I explicity asked where the line was drawn between preferencing people based on skin colour and preferencing children based on shared DNA. There is no logically fallacy, because there is no assertion or logic to consider.
You're obviously either linking the two or are being nonsensical.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

kojikun wrote:
Jesus fuck you're slow. That's the textbook definition of 'Slipper Slope' fallacy. Are you going to either deal with the responses, or continue to whine and moan like a stuck troll on how your fallacies got pointed out?

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

That was the question, Rye, is the equivocation even remotely valid. I put those questions there to be discussed, not because I was saying I'm agreeing with them or not. The point is for people to discuss them and their validity, not attack me for posting something that conflicts their own conclusions about the questions.

Jesus Christ, if you think there is a logical fallacy, then fucking discuss that, don't attack me. The point is to pick the questions apart. I didn't start this thread to debate anyone, I started it for people to speak in response to the questions, not in response to me as the poster of the questions.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

SirNitram wrote:Jesus fuck you're slow. That's the textbook definition of 'Slipper Slope' fallacy. Are you going to either deal with the responses, or continue to whine and moan like a stuck troll on how your fallacies got pointed out?
I think you're the one who's slow. I'm not asserting anything, I was posting something to discuss. I'm not denying that there are fallacies, the point was for people to identify them if they are there, you moron.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

kojikun wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Jesus fuck you're slow. That's the textbook definition of 'Slipper Slope' fallacy. Are you going to either deal with the responses, or continue to whine and moan like a stuck troll on how your fallacies got pointed out?
I think you're the one who's slow. I'm not asserting anything, I was posting something to discuss. I'm not denying that there are fallacies, the point was for people to identify them if they are there, you moron.
The fallacy was identified. You started whiny and bitching. You got insulted. Deal with it, retard. If you put it there to be identified, don't act like it's some sacriligious violation of something. Are you going to get on with it, or continue to bitch?

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

I got insulted that you were attacking me for asking you to do exactly what you did.

And what would you like me to get on with?
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

kojikun wrote:I got insulted that you were attacking me for asking you to do exactly what you did.
Sorry, little boy. I did not post the textbook definition of a Slippery Slope Fallacy and then start bitching when it's shown for what it is. Try again.
And what would you like me to get on with?
You know, the topic you whine isn't being addressed. What the rest of my second post here dealt with. Oh, wait; your position was entirely built upon the fallacies inherent in the OP, and thus you can't rebutt. That would explain why you haven't contributed anything but screeching.

Your fallacy was identified and exposed for what it is. Deal with it, you flaming retard. If you have something other than fallacies, please continue. Otherwise, fuck off, you worthless cumstain. Clear enough for all five of your braincells?

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

SirNitram wrote:your position was entirely built upon the fallacies
How many times do I have to say this, Nitram, I'm not taking a position
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

kojikun wrote:
SirNitram wrote:your position was entirely built upon the fallacies
How many times do I have to say this, Nitram, I'm not taking a position
So you just spouted out incredibly moronic things to hear the sound of your own voice? If you're not going to take a position, moron, maybe you should not say the exact opposite.
I'm playing devils advocate
Will Kojikun admit he's lying by saying he's not taking a position? I'd say tune in, but we all know he won't.

Again, if you actually want discussion, Kojikun, maybe you should stop whining about how your fallacious, retarded statements were shown to be such, and actually discuss the meat of my second reply. But this is expecting intelligent discourse from you; the fact you refuse to let go of this shows you aren't capable of it.

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Nitram, I did not start this thread to argue the points with your or others; as I've stated numerous times, I started it to get others to discuss. I have no intention of replying to your views on the topic because I wanted to see what others think. I should also point out that this thread was as proxy for Gagme, who's idea it was to get everyone elses opinions on the topic. Stop attacking me, I am not arguing anything nor asserting anything, and never intended to do so, which was evident from the OP.
Super-Gagme
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Super-Gagme »

My reasoning for wanting this a thread was to show you that I wasn't alone in these opinions of you and your "discussion". They're simply better at replying than I am.