Why is the First Cause Argument Flawed?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

EvilGrey
Fundamentalist Moron

Why is the First Cause Argument Flawed?

Post by EvilGrey »

I've heard this claim made many times by atheists, often citing erroneous reasons and employing strawmans. I'm curious as to what the denizens of this BBS think. :)
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Give a definition of the argument, please, and then I'd be more than willing to poke holes in it.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Yuri Prime
Padawan Learner

Re: Why is the First Cause Argument Flawed?

Post by Yuri Prime »

EvilGrey wrote:I've heard this claim made many times by atheists, often citing erroneous reasons and employing strawmans. I'm curious as to what the denizens of this BBS think. :)
Please give examples of these "strawmans'" before you make a sweeping statement.
I don't go to mythical places with strange men.
-Douglas Adams

Evil Liberal Conspiracy. Taking away your guns since 1987.
EvilGrey
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by EvilGrey »

Yuri Prime wrote:
EvilGrey wrote:I've heard this claim made many times by atheists, often citing erroneous reasons and employing strawmans. I'm curious as to what the denizens of this BBS think. :)
Please give examples of these "strawmans'" before you make a sweeping statement.
Please discuss the topic as I have declared it. :)

EDIT: I'll get back to you guys later.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

They cannot discuss the topic as you have declared it dumbass, because theyhave no reference point. We have nothing to refer to.

Oh and moron...the plural form of strawman is not strawmans...it is strawmen. If you are not a native English speaker I apologize...
Last edited by Alyrium Denryle on 2003-06-13 08:03pm, edited 2 times in total.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Yuri Prime
Padawan Learner

Post by Yuri Prime »

EvilGrey wrote:
Yuri Prime wrote:
Please discuss the topic as I have declared it. :)
no
Last edited by Yuri Prime on 2003-06-13 08:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Douglas Adams

The Question
Pompous Windbag

Post by The Question »

You people claim to be great atheist debaters and you don't know what the First Cause argument is? :roll:

Samuel Colt save me from the playtheists. :lol:
Yuri Prime
Padawan Learner

Post by Yuri Prime »

The Question wrote:You people claim to be great atheist debaters and you don't know what the First Cause argument is? :roll:

No the point is we have no idea what he's trying to argue based on the fact that he makes no sense and gives no examples. All I can tell is that he's unhappy with the way some atheists handled the First Cause Argument, but he's not going to tell us what they said or how their arguments were strawmen...
Last edited by Yuri Prime on 2003-06-13 08:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Douglas Adams

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The Question wrote:You people claim to be great atheist debaters and you don't know what the First Cause argument is? :roll:

I have a decent idea, but I want him to define what he thinks it is, so we have an agreed upon definition of what we are debating. It's just common sense.

Insofar, our boy EvilGrey here wants us to argue something that he refuses to define and thus far has refused to give his definition.

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
The Question
Pompous Windbag

Post by The Question »

Ah, now I see your objection.

That just scared the hell out of me, thinking people didn't know what FC was.

Carry on. ;)
EvilGrey
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by EvilGrey »

I wish to know why those who believe the argument is flawed think that. I wish to hear their reasoning. :)
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Quantum theory predicts and shows that nothing, absolutely nothing is unstable. You don't need a first causer when the first cause is random instability of nothing.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
EvilGrey
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by EvilGrey »

kojikun wrote:Quantum theory predicts and shows that nothing, absolutely nothing is unstable. You don't need a first causer when the first cause is random instability of nothing.
Who said anything about a first causer? :D
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

EvilGrey wrote:I wish to know why those who believe the argument is flawed think that. I wish to hear their reasoning. :)
Jesus Horatio Christ on a Pink Pogo Stick, if you want an argument, you are first going to have to give the definition of the argument you want discussed before the debate starts. Until you do that, no debate can happen.

Yuri Prime
Padawan Learner

Post by Yuri Prime »

EvilGrey wrote:
kojikun wrote:Quantum theory predicts and shows that nothing, absolutely nothing is unstable. You don't need a first causer when the first cause is random instability of nothing.
Who said anything about a first causer? :D
Ok, just say it. What are you arguing? Please define your version of First Cause...
-Douglas Adams

EvilGrey
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by EvilGrey »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
EvilGrey wrote:I wish to know why those who believe the argument is flawed think that. I wish to hear their reasoning. :)
Jesus Horatio Christ on a Pink Pogo Stick, if you want an argument, you are first going to have to give the definition of the argument you want discussed before the debate starts. Until you do that, no debate can happen.
I have already stated what the topic for discussion is. :roll:
EvilGrey
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by EvilGrey »

I suppose I will have to wait for the intelligent posters to arrive. :D
Yuri Prime
Padawan Learner

Post by Yuri Prime »

EvilGrey wrote:I suppose I will have to wait for the intelligent posters to arrive. :D
What do you want? A friggin cookie?
-Douglas Adams

Sindai
Youngling

Post by Sindai »

EvilGrey wrote:I have already stated what the topic for discussion is. :roll:
And then you promptly did exactly what everyone could tell you were going to do: sneer at the first person who addressed the First Cause argument as it usually goes (Kojikun) by saying:
Who said anything about a first causer?
Obviously, idjit, no one because no one has even said what the argument we're supposed to be talking about is. I don't think I've ever seen anyone actively ignore their own opening post before.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

the first cause arguement is flawed because it presumes a necessary intelligence behind the "first cause" and not a natural occurance. it also violates occams razor by including an unknown as massive as the universe itself thus making the unknowns outweigh every known. thats why the first cause arguement is flawed. :roll:
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

You said what the topic was, but you didn't define what exactly your argument as you see it is.

What you are doing is:

You: Find what is qrong with the First Cause Argument.
Me: Provide your definition for the First Cause Argument.
You: I'm talking about the First Cause Argument.
Me: Sure, define it.
You: I already told you! The First Cause Argument!

See the problem?

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Yes, the topic is about a moron (you) who touches himself at night. :roll:
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Question
Pompous Windbag

Post by The Question »

Gil Hamilton wrote: See the problem?

I'm not seeing it.

If people can't address his argument, they should just say so.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

he hasnt defined his argument :roll:

this site will debate anything. but he hasnt put foward his position.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The Question wrote:I'm not seeing it.

If people can't address his argument, they should just say so.
The problem is that he's not actually giving a definition for us to argee on as the First Cause Argument is for us to debate. I want his exact definition before any debate actually takes place so he can't change his position at a whim. Insofar, he's refusing to actually define his position but is still demanding people debate it.