Did Leia or Luke know about Padmé?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Teankun
Redshirt

Post by Teankun »

There are several things to consider.

In RotJ, Leia says her real mother died when she was very young. She said she only remembers images and describes her as beautiful and kind but sad. I do know about the rest of you, but I imagined Leia standing up in her crib (maybe about two years at the youngest) with her and her mother living in secret. This is obviously contradicted in Rots where Padmé actually dies in childbirth, more or less giving Leia and Luke and equal opportunity to remember her.

Since neither Leia nor Luke could have remembered their mother from early childhood, pretty much the only way they could known if someone told them, and their was only a handful of people knew about Anakin and Padmé’s relationship and even less that she was pregnant and then again even less that she had twins.

Obi-wan: The most likely one to tell Luke. Even after Obi-wan’s death, they had the most consistent communication. Although he never told Luke in the movies, he very well could have anytime after Endor and when Obi-wan’s spirit leaves in Heir to the Empire.

Yoda: Like Obi-wan, the post-mortal Yoda could have told them, but I don’t recall Yoda ever doing so, even in the Expanded Universe which I think is odd since Obi-wan told Luke that Yoda would always be with him.

Anakin: Again, post-mortal. Anakin did visit Leia briefly in Truce of Bakua, but this is the only account I know of.

Bail Organa: This would likely be from where Leia would get most information about her birth mother, but it would also be very likely that her real name would never have been used. The Organa’s would have known that if either Palpatine or Vader knew that Padmé had a child, they would soon go after her.

Owen and Beru Lars: It is very clear that they did not tell Luke when they were alive, and they surely couldn’t post-mortally, unless you want to count the possibility that they left a prerecorded holo-message that survived the fires. I am not even sure if they knew Padmé was Luke’s mother from the beginning.

The staff of: Who knows what happened to this outpost? It was obviously chosen to because it was so remote that Palpatine wouldn’t know what happened there. They were clearly sworn to secrecy as were the crew of the Tantive IV.

Jacen: Another possibility. In the Legacy of the Force novel series, he uses Force techniques to see the past, but it is unlikely he would have told his mother or uncle.

This is pretty much what I know. The only parts of the Expanded Universe that I have read that takes place after RotJ and was written after RotS is Legacy of the Force, so I don’t know if there are any EU stories where they find out. If any one knows, please tell me. Otherwise give your input for the debate.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: Did Leia or Luke know about Padmé?

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Luke and Leia didn't know anything until many years later in the EU save for the incredibly vague memories Leia had. Anyone who could have revealed the truth was dead and nobody communicated the information postmortem. The information is revealed during the Dark Nest trilogy of books, R2 D2 eventually spills his guts.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How did that scene work, anyway? I think R2D2, the not-so-silent witness to everything that's occurred in both PT and the OT, confessing to everything that he's seen - all the horrible things that have happened, and everything - would be a strangely touching scene, even if it's done by a bleep-bloop-bleep-bloopin robot. It'd be like Mad Max, My circuits fade. The sensors dim. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. This wasted land. But most of all, I remember the Chosen One. The man we called "Skywalker". To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time... BLEEP BLOOOP BLOOP!

God damn that's so awesome, I imagine they fucked it up in the EU book. Blah.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How did that scene work, anyway? I think R2D2, the not-so-silent witness to everything that's occurred in both PT and the OT, confessing to everything that he's seen - all the horrible things that have happened, and everything - would be a strangely touching scene, even if it's done by a bleep-bloop-bleep-bloopin robot. It'd be like Mad Max, My circuits fade. The sensors dim. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. This wasted land. But most of all, I remember the Chosen One. The man we called "Skywalker". To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time... BLEEP BLOOOP BLOOP!

No, those scenes are actually the only "decent" parts of that godawful trilogy.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How did that scene work, anyway? I think R2D2, the not-so-silent witness to everything that's occurred in both PT and the OT, confessing to everything that he's seen - all the horrible things that have happened, and everything - would be a strangely touching scene, even if it's done by a bleep-bloop-bleep-bloopin robot. It'd be like Mad Max, My circuits fade. The sensors dim. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. This wasted land. But most of all, I remember the Chosen One. The man we called "Skywalker". To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time... BLEEP BLOOOP BLOOP!

Something to do with having all of the old recordings stored and locked away was screwing with Artoos inner workings and they had to fin d a way to extract them without losing the data or erasing Artoos memory. It was actually the only good part of the trilogy like Thanas said, but not good enough to keep me from crossing Dennig's name of the "Good SW Authors" list.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh, definitely. He wrote the chiss so retarded (and the NR new genius who got his flagship stolen by bugs due to arrogance) that he is IMO only a step above Traviss and some of his ground battles actually make me wonder if he is as much retarded as she is.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Teankun
Redshirt

Post by Teankun »

Darth Fanboy wrote:The information is revealed during the Dark Nest trilogy of books, R2 D2 eventually spills his guts.
So they do find out enventully? Which novel does this happen in? (so I can not bother with the rest of it if it is that bad)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The third book is when they make the big breakthrough, the the subplot goes trhoughout all three. After how fucking terrible the first one was, I quite literally just borrowed the second two just to see how they resolved that plot and skipped over much of the main plot.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh so they did get through with that. Yeah, that was the only part I cared about, but I couldn't stomach any more bug hive mind control bull shit.

Someone care to post the relevant info?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I would sift through it Hav but you would just be disappointed. A revelation like this should have had it's own book and been central to the plot, not the background filler for a shitty trilogy of novels.

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Some sort of journey of self-discovery for Luke and Leia they could have gone on shortly after Endor would have been perfect, if it hadn't been for the stupid Black Fleet Crisis subplot locking that option out.

Still, I like the idea of Luke finding Watto as a doddering senile homeless guy on the streets of Mos Espa, rambling about how he once owned Anakin Skywalker as a slave. A book of events like that would be awesome.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Teankun
Redshirt

Post by Teankun »

Maybe I'll go ahead and borrow the books-on-CD fromm the library and just use the "skip" button a lot

I thought Troy Denning had a better reputation
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Dennig had a good rep, and then he wrote the Dark Nest trilogy.

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I'm of the opinion he never deserved the good rep he got, even before the Dark Nest trilogy. Tatooine Ghost was ok, but Star By Star was pretty mediocre. That might have been the NJO Effect though.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stofsk wrote:I'm of the opinion he never deserved the good rep he got, even before the Dark Nest trilogy. Tatooine Ghost was ok, but Star By Star was pretty mediocre. That might have been the NJO Effect though.

One can say so now with the benefit of hindsight, but if he had written a good book after the first two, he would still be ranked up there behind Zahn.
------------
------------
My LPs
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Dennig had a good rep, and then he wrote the Dark Nest trilogy.
In Denning's defense, I still think he has the best handle on the Han/Leia pairing. But yeah, Dark Nest was the start of a downward spiral.
Gemini-Preserver
Redshirt

Post by Gemini-Preserver »

IIRC Didn't Obiwan and senator Bill discuss wiping C-3PO and R2-D2's memories at the end of ROTS?
"And The Main Points Again, Death, Injury, Agreement, Strike, War, Soviets, Americans, Two Nil and Stupid Bastards, Good Night"
Spiting Image

"Weapon, after weapon, after weapon. All you do is talk, and talk, and talk. But over all these years... and all these disasters, I've always had the greatest secret of them all. I know you. Explode those ships, you kill yourself... that's the one thing you can never do."
The Doctor
Gemini-Preserver
Redshirt

Post by Gemini-Preserver »

Sorry scratch that, Was re-watching on youtube and its only 3-PO who gets his mind wiped
"And The Main Points Again, Death, Injury, Agreement, Strike, War, Soviets, Americans, Two Nil and Stupid Bastards, Good Night"
Spiting Image

"Weapon, after weapon, after weapon. All you do is talk, and talk, and talk. But over all these years... and all these disasters, I've always had the greatest secret of them all. I know you. Explode those ships, you kill yourself... that's the one thing you can never do."
The Doctor