Freaking Deathclaws (RAR!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: Freaking Deathclaws (RAR!)

Post by Esquire »

One a scale of 1 to 10, they're about a "will claw your face off before allowing you to dress them."
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Faces, rather. What with the whole cube thing. :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Esquire wrote:One a scale of 1 to 10, they're about a "will claw your face off before allowing you to dress them."
But like say I was to try and domesticate one. It has to get tired of clawing at my pristine monolithic sides sooner or later. If nothing else it's claws will wear off before they manage to make a scratch.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Deathclaws are weak to narrow staircases, I shall stay upstairs.
libertyjim
Youngling

Post by libertyjim »

Purple wrote:But like say I was to try and domesticate one.
Well actually as of Fallout 4 you can tame a Deathclaw if you have nine charisma (ten being the maximum I believe) and have the 'Wasteland Whisperer' perk. The perk has three levels. If you just have the first level then if you aim your gun at any wasteland creature (i.e. any non-regular animal from Fallout 4) that is below your level then there is a chance that you will pacify it, i.e. it won't be hostile to you (or your allies I think). The second level allows you to command it to attack and the third level lets you give it more specific commands. Note that the Deathclaw has got to be a 'lower level' compared to you which I figure is quite unlikely for most people on SDN. Good luck with that :twisted:
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

How do they taste? I come from red neck heaven, its sacrilege to kill some thing then not eat it.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

JI_Joe84 wrote:How do they taste? I come from red neck heaven, its sacrilege to kill some thing then not eat it.
I should think they'd taste with their tongue. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Most probably. And while I think what JI_Joe84 meantwas 'what does Deathclaw taste like' I seriously doubt he has access to the Hardware required to actually kill one.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

libertyjim wrote:
Purple wrote:But like say I was to try and domesticate one.
Well actually as of Fallout 4 you can tame a Deathclaw if you have nine charisma (ten being the maximum I believe) and have the 'Wasteland Whisperer' perk. The perk has three levels. If you just have the first level then if you aim your gun at any wasteland creature (i.e. any non-regular animal from Fallout 4) that is below your level then there is a chance that you will pacify it, i.e. it won't be hostile to you (or your allies I think). The second level allows you to command it to attack and the third level lets you give it more specific commands. Note that the Deathclaw has got to be a 'lower level' compared to you which I figure is quite unlikely for most people on SDN. Good luck with that :twisted:
I don't think I'll have much problem than. I mean, I am not sure how to quantify levels and all that having not played the game and all that. But I figure that the sheer mind breaking reality of my existence as a cosmic entity of overlapping curves, upright angles and parallel lines that intersect at just the right degree to project a 3D image of a cube onto your plane of existence has to count for something.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Look, Purple, even if we take your cubic identity as true, this thing will kill your cat.

Anyway, my family doesn't own any guns. There's a seventy odd year old bayonet in the basement, two splitting axes, a double bit felling axe, a hatchet, and various yard tools in the garage. I'd probably mount the bayonet to a rake handle after sending the three dogs into the basement where they won't bark at the deathclaws. To be safe I'd probably try to tell the dogs that the creatures do not want friends.

My best chance for getting all dozen of them killed would be to somehow get the to wander out onto the nearby interstate (literally a stone's throw away) and hope enough semi drivers have played fallout.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I'm fucked. The only ranged weapon I got is an old flare gun without ammo. Now I still got some old shotgun shells from my last shotgun that I might be able to McGuyver into firing out of the flare gun with some piping and a paperclip and alot of hope the ATF ain't around or I got worse things to worry about then a Deathclaw. However I literally have like two or three shells, are buckshot, would be incredibly slow to reload, and firing out of a pipe would have all the range of maybe 20 feet or less. Maybe if I'm really, really lucky I might be able to blind one. And I doubt they rely on their sight too much.

My house certainly isn't going to stop them and I doubt the police would be able to make it here in time to save my ass. The best I can hope for is to hope my sneak skill is high enough for me to crouch walk my booty away without losing it.
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

My only hope would be to hide in the attic or basement, call the cops and try to convince them to contact military forces. Luckily there is army base nearby so heavy machine guns could be brought in quickly. I don't have any weapons at home and my house is really easy to break in with many large windows on first and second floor.
Kelp
Redshirt

Post by Kelp »

I'll hide in my basement and mutter out phrases like:

"player dot set ay vee strength ten"
"tee gee em"
"tee see el"

If I can pass through a door after that, I'll know I have max strength, god mode, and the ability to clip through anything. Beating the crap out of Deathclaws with bare fists will be simple afterward. Life will never be the same again.

If the console commands fail, I'll try inserting the commands into a CLI on my phone... And the computer... And the TV.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Deathclaws are massive. As of FO4 they cannot fit through a doorway so if you are in a tight space they will have difficulties getting to you without doing some effort. If your living in walls of cardboard then you are quite likely fucked but a decent building should be a decent place to hide. With that many Deathclaws roaming around and their size they are going to be noticed rather quickly and you just have to wait long enough for them to be distracted.

The casualty list is going to be fantastically horrific but the Deathclaws are essentially on the extreme end of big wild animals. A tank or air strike should be enough to take out a Deathclaw with little they can do in return.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

So basically I can expect them not to be able to get into my flat? Cool. I wonder if one will get stuck in the doorway so that I can starve it to the point where it becomes incapable of resisting my attempts to pet it and play with it and tame it and give it a pink bow.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Close the window, stay very quiet and hope they wander off.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Kelp wrote:I'll hide in my basement and mutter out phrases like:

"player dot set ay vee strength ten"
"tee gee em"
"tee see el"

If I can pass through a door after that, I'll know I have max strength, god mode, and the ability to clip through anything. Beating the crap out of Deathclaws with bare fists will be simple afterward. Life will never be the same again.

If the console commands fail, I'll try inserting the commands into a CLI on my phone... And the computer... And the TV.
That's a considerable risk, in the long run. Remember, just opening the console disables achievements.

On the topic of deathclaw size, the whole not fitting through doorways is more a function of game buildings being indestructible than deathclaws being unable to force their way in despite the doorway's size. Though I imagine they'd really only try to smash their way into a house if the thing inside pissed them off.

Now that I think about it, I may only need to hide, because the deathclaws may attempt to hunt the traffic on the nearby interstate. And by nearby I mean it's within twenty yards. Whether the traffic kills them or not, it will sure attract huge police and national guard attention.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Imperial528 wrote:On the topic of deathclaw size, the whole not fitting through doorways is more a function of game buildings being indestructible than deathclaws being unable to force their way in despite the doorway's size. Though I imagine they'd really only try to smash their way into a house if the thing inside pissed them off.
I doubt that anything can force it self through concrete walls. And buildings have those where I come from. And like anything with that sort of muscle mass isn't going to be as flexible as a rat. So my plan to capture and starve it is a go.

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Well, they're not as flexible as a rat, but I imagine they could wiggle through a doorway if they really wanted to. Would take more time than they usually spend doing things but they're not very bulky creatures, in spite of their large size.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Imperial528 wrote: That's a considerable risk, in the long run. Remember, just opening the console disables achievements.
Really? I've got like, 38/50 achievements and I must have accidentally opened the console a dozen times.

In related news...
You can indeed pacify deathclaws! Something tells me my Charisma isn't 9 and I lack the perk.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

They may have changed it then. In Skyrim opening the console disabled achievements for the session. Then again FO4 is clearly using a more developed version of the Creation engine than Skyrim did.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Out of curiosity, there is a quest in the game where you can find a stolen death claw egg. You can return it to its nest and the deathclaw there won't attack you (unless you try to take the egg). Taking that at face value hints that they may have some awareness.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Fuck that quest. My character is all INT/CHAR and the start of the quest just one shot me over and over.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Someone seriously needs to mod in a dethclaw pet into the game. If they did that I might actually consider buying it one day in 10 years when it's all patched up, forgotten about and goes on sale. (For reference, that would actually be very high praise for the game coming from me.)

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

That's actually a good attitude for Bethesda games: wait until they finally patched it up and no longer make DLCs. I missed out on a lot of Fallout 3 and New Vegas DLCs that way and there is no way I'm boring myself by replaying those games just for those DLCs.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.