ITV Uses Video Game Footage In Report On IRA Attack

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

ITV Uses Video Game Footage In Report On IRA Attack

Post by Zaune »

The Guardian
'IRA' footage was from video game, admits ITV

It was the most dramatic of footage with which to launch ITV1's new current affairs show – pictures of the IRA supposedly shooting down a helicopter with weapons supplied by Muammar Gaddafi.

But the broadcaster on Tuesday admitted that the images used in the first episode of its new ITV1 series Exposure was in fact a sequence from a computer game, Arma 2.

ITV blamed a cock-up rather than a conspiracy for the mistake, which was first spotted by eagle-eyed games fans after the programme was broadcast on ITV on Monday night.

The incident will be seen as a huge embarrassment for ITV, which said it did have actual footage of the incident but the wrong footage was included because of "human error".

An ITV spokesman said: "The events featured in Exposure: Gaddafi and the IRA were genuine but it would appear that during the editing process the correct clip of the 1988 incident was not selected and other footage was mistakenly included in the film by producers.

"This was an unfortunate case of human error for which we apologise."

The first episode of Exposure, which was watched by 1.3 million viewers, examined the relationship between the former Libyan dictator and the IRA.

The shaky camera footage, captioned "IRA film 1988" showed a helicopter being shot down accompanied by a voiceover: "With Gaddafi's heavy machine guns it was possible to shoot down a helicopter as the terrorists' own footage of 1988 shows."

"This was what the security forces feared most," said the voiceover. "It may have been a lucky hit, but for the army and crew once was enough. No one died in this attack."

In fact, no one died because it was footage from a 2009 "tactical shooter" game called Arma 2 set in the fictional east European nation of Chernarus.

ITV removed the programme from its online video-on-demand service, the ITV Player, on Tuesday.

A clip from the game similar to that used by ITV is still on YouTube, captioned "[Provisional] IRA ambush British helicopter. Silverbridge – South Armagh, 23 June 1988."

ITV said the programme would be returned to the ITV Player once it had been re-edited with the correct footage.

Marek Spanel, chief executive of the game's developer Bohemia Interactive Studio, said: "I am not sure how they could make such [an] obvious mistake."

"On a somewhat more positive note, we consider this as a bizarre appreciation of the level of realism incorporated into our games," he told games website Spong.

The programme contained a second error when it described footage of riots in Belfast as being from July this year when in fact the clip was six years old.

The programme was a co-production between ITV's in-house production house, ITV Studios, and independent producers Sylvia Jones and Clive Maltby.
Because sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words.

I believe this is the footage they were intending to use, by the way.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Re: ITV Uses Video Game Footage In Report On IRA Attack

Post by Companion Cube »

And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I like how the fighter lands gently on a tree and bursts into flames.

Seriously, I can't believe that a producer would be so clueless. Videogame footage should be pretty damn obvious. This is either deliberate or a massive failure of perception for everyone from the producer and editor straight up to the tape op and director.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Come on, Dalton, give them a break. I mean, I see aliasing on the edges of real-life objects all the time. Image
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

Maybe the producer wasn't the gaming type? I imagine if your perception of video games is stuck in a previous decade then today's graphics could perhaps fool someone like that.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

This isn't all that surprising. See Fox News' blatant, very bad photoshops of journalist critics. Or the time they used stock footage from Mythbusters of a van exploding to imply that the users of 4chan were a bunch of dem dur turrists. Then again, those seem to serve a purpose, whereas this seems to have been borne out of laziness and stupidity.
Truth fears no trial.