TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

muse
Jedi Council Member

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by muse »

TIL there's a Dutch company which makes animal sex dolls for zoophiles.
They also make baby sex dolls for pedophiles. :wtf:

https://www.thepublica.com/dutch-manufa ... zoophiles/
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

TIL Ritchie Blackmore has been in a medieval-classical folk rock band for the past ~25 years.

ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Just discovered Blackmore's Night, eh?

TIL my tablet can charge through the USB-C socket in a pinch, albeit painfully slowly.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I'd always wondered why **THE BOOK** of Medieval Cookery, was called "The Forme of Cury"

TIL that "Cury" is a very old term for "Cooking".

BTW: There's some GREAT Recipes in this book, and several translations with good modern redactions. Medieval Cooking is far more varied in spices than modern cooking and the difference is amazing to the taste buds, unless you're from cultures that still use Saffron, Foetidia, Lavendar, etc.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I assume that recipes in the book were aimed at the fairly well off or did the spices 'trickle down' to the peasantry?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Bedlam wrote: 2024-04-15 03:11am I assume that recipes in the book were aimed at the fairly well off or did the spices 'trickle down' to the peasantry?
Peasantry? No. Minor Lords and some of the richer Guild-heads? Yes.

Besides the fancier feasts, which included a whole chicken "gilded" with saffron sitting atop a whole piglet ala Knight in Armor, there were simpler meals, such as "Tarts for Ymber (Ember) Day", which is a very tasty caramelized onion and cheese tart for meatless days. It even has one of the earliest Macaroni and Cheese dishes "Makerouns", as shared on the Wiki Page here: The Forme of Cury

The "losyns" dish mentioned is a non-tomato sauce lasagne-like dish, with layers of large noodles, cheese, power forte, and butter.
Then you have "Hedgehogs", which are pork meatballs studded with spears of almonds, served with spiced sauces.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Anything that involves saffron is going to have a big price tag, they don't call that shit "red gold" for nothing :lol:
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

TIL that New Girl, despite seeming to have her shit completely together in most other ways, completely hasn't done her taxes yet. Hasn't even started them as of this morning. For our non-USA audience, I will note that they're due today in most jurisdictions.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The YouTube channel Tasting History has done some recipes from The Forme of Cury and touched on the spice issue. Some of the "simpler" dishes - beans, cheese-based, etc. - would have had peasant equivalents, or perhaps one should regard the recipes in the books as more upper-class versions of peasant dishes. The lower classes wouldn't be using saffron, but depending on their resources might be able to afford some less expensive spices, particularly for special occasions. Poorer folks would rely on things like onions and herbs for flavor and seasoning.

I make a bean dish called makke I got from this video.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL That the kid in The sixth sense was actually yelling "Stuttering Stanley", instead of "Staring Stanley" this whole time :lol:
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

TIL Chinese & Indian soldiers beat each other with sticks to settle border disputes so that they don't start a war.

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/statu ... 3812295683
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Tesla cybertruck takes 5 hours to reboot after a carwash and comes with instructions to not wash it in direct sunlight

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-cybertruck-n ... 1851417011
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL that for some reason, Edge on my PC has suddenly decided it doesn't like this message board, spitting out the following error:
Cloudflare
Forbidden

HTTP Response Code: 403

1f9f067782000088a90b132400000001

2024-04-20 21:33:07.330889758 UTC
So for the time being I'm using Firefox to get on here :?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

TIL that my PC will semi-regularly, and annoyingly, forget how to connect to the internet. It will suddenly decide, nope, not doing it anymore. REstarting it fixes it, but it's annoying as fuck.

Also a slightly-delayed TIL from yesterday: turns out "he's drunk the kool-aid" is not as commonly understood as I had expected from this board. For context, one of my colleagues, despite being the Englishest Englishman you will ever find (despite living in Cardiff) is a big-time "Trump did nothing wrong" supporter.

While describing this to another colleague later on, I concluded with "that guy has really drunk the Donald Trump kool-aid." The (sane) colleague did not know what I meant, and honestly thought there was Donald Trump-brand soft drinks available in the office. Which was funny, even if I am surprised he hasn't done that yet.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL that Drinking the Kool-Aid has its own Wikipedia page :lol:

It's easy to forget that because we don't have it here in the UK, not everyone gets the reference :lol:
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2024-04-20 07:16pmWhile describing this to another colleague later on, I concluded with "that guy has really drunk the Donald Trump kool-aid." The (sane) colleague did not know what I meant, and honestly thought there was Donald Trump-brand soft drinks available in the office. Which was funny, even if I am surprised he hasn't done that yet.
Let's not give him any ideas. Trump's fugly-ass sneakers are bad enough, the world does not need his branded drinks, or anything else for that matter.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article ... akers.html
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-04-18 05:23am The Tesla cybertruck takes 5 hours to reboot after a carwash and comes with instructions to not wash it in direct sunlight

What a fucking useless vehicle.

Of course, Elon probably has "people" who can take care of his, and a spare to drive around while the other dries. Seriously, WTF? Is this fragile eye of a "truck" only supposed to driven in pristine weather on pre-cleaned roadways?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Broomstick wrote: 2024-04-21 03:29am
bilateralrope wrote: 2024-04-18 05:23am The Tesla cybertruck takes 5 hours to reboot after a carwash and comes with instructions to not wash it in direct sunlight

Of course, Elon probably has "people" who can take care of his, and a spare to drive around while the other dries. Seriously, WTF? Is this fragile eye of a "truck" only supposed to driven in pristine weather on pre-cleaned roadways?
Does he even drive one, or does he stick to the Tesla cars ?

Also, they were all recalled. All 3,878 of them.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-04-20 07:35pm TIL that Drinking the Kool-Aid has its own Wikipedia page :lol:

It's easy to forget that because we don't have it here in the UK, not everyone gets the reference :lol:
Descriptions of the event often refer to the beverage not as Kool-Aid but as Flavor Aid,[4] a less-expensive product reportedly found at the site.[5] Kraft Foods, the maker of Kool-Aid, has stated the same
Can't say I blame the Kraft Foods corporation for wanting to clarify that point!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2024-04-21 09:18am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-04-20 07:35pm TIL that Drinking the Kool-Aid has its own Wikipedia page :lol:

Descriptions of the event often refer to the beverage not as Kool-Aid but as Flavor Aid,[4] a less-expensive product reportedly found at the site.[5] Kraft Foods, the maker of Kool-Aid, has stated the same
Can't say I blame the Kraft Foods corporation for wanting to clarify that point!
They've been trying for years to clean up that saying, but Kool-aid, like Kleenex, is irrevocably THE BRAND for that product. If you ask for a Kleenex, you don't care if it's another brand because it's still going to be a disposable tissue paper you can sneeze into. Kool-Aid is the powered drink mix, even if it's an off-brand the kids will still call it Kool-Aid.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-04-21 03:54am

And that's not even addressing the elephant in the room, the fucking awful aesthetics. Was it Musk's vision to take the prize for the ugliest production car ever made? :lol:
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-04-21 12:21pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2024-04-21 03:54am

And that's not even addressing the elephant in the room, the fucking awful aesthetics. Was it Musk's vision to take the prize for the ugliest production car ever made? :lol:
His vision was to make Blade Runner's car
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

His vision needs some serious prescription glasses then. This monster looks nothing like that.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

It's like the CAD program used to design the thing had an extremely low polygon limit and nobody thought to use a better one.

TIL that using an air duster to clean a keyboard is more effective if you first stand the keyboard vertically so all the crap is blown out instead of being moved around :lol:
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I usually turn the keyboard upside and shake it first, then use the duster.