Asperger's Syndrome

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Asperger's Syndrome

Post by Big Orange »

I've got Asperger's Syndrome, a rare personality disorder that has some similarities to Autism and the details about the disorder are covered here on the BBC website. I have heard conflicting information about AS: supposedly many historical geniuses had AS, such as Albert Einstein, but then again you get AS sufferers with low IQs and a childlike disposition (like the poor sap from Exeter, UK, caught for terrorism). And some experts state that Asperger's Syndrome is as delibitating to the mind as being blind or having both legs missing (although I would've thought Autism is more akin to those serious physical disabilities).

Does anybody have their take on this?
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Re: Asperger's Syndrome

Post by Superman »

You're new here, aren't you?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

1) Don't invest too heavily in the 'Geniuses before we even knew Autism, much less Aspergers, were ASD!' claptrap. It's very often an attempt at validation by those who feel the desperate need to turn the disorder into a sort of badge of honor.

2) These 'experts' are full of shit. Seriously, low functioning Autism will change your life as much as those disabilities, but Aspergers is different because, since you develop speech at the normal time, often much lower in impact.

My 'take' is some other things.

1) Depending on your severity, you may find it helpful to adjust yourself a bit. Your main problems will all boil down to stress, so find ways to unwind when it gets too hectic without causing interruption to those around you.

2) Become at peace with the idea you're now on the Autism Spectrum. Yes, this one gave me trouble.

3) Find people you're comfortable with sharing any concerns you have over this. Talking to people about this can be a huge help.

4) If anyone suggests drugs, particularly antipsychotics, because they're certain it'll help Aspergers, walk away. I've never heard anything good come from that, and quite a few awful things.

That's all I can directly offer. Each case is ultimately unique.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
HippyRipper
Redshirt

Post by HippyRipper »

My only advice is don't try to justify douchebaggery with having Asperger's. Too many people falsely diagnose themselves to try and excuse being a total dick. (If any offense is taken, sorry, wasn't trying to offend.)
Since light travels faster than sound, isn't that why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

HippyRipper wrote:My only advice is don't try to justify douchebaggery with having Asperger's. Too many people falsely diagnose themselves to try and excuse being a total dick. (If any offense is taken, sorry, wasn't trying to offend.)
We have a nice selection of former members who tried that shit.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

For what it's worth, I didn't develop speech until a reasonably late point in my life (like, 3ish I think, which I believe is unusual but not terrible).

Stress management will be important, but as Nitram says, it's pretty frustrating constantly running up against stress-related limitations.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's (by a professional, not by myself), but I rarely bring it up. Which is the way it should be. You shouldn't use it to justify behavior that would otherwise be unacceptable. Or to try to get free stuff or sympathy or whatever.

Indeed, everything is the same before and after diagnosis, unless you end up with drugs or something I guess.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I'm now quite clear and no bones about what I have, and what I'm taking with my bosses and co-workers. Still my need to organize things has it's uses at work.

Though fictional, I would say that Mycroft or Sherlock almost sound like they are suffering from some form of autism spectrum disorder, particularly in mind with Mycroft's OCD problems.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

If you believe the advocacy groups, Einstein was probably autistic, dyslexic, couldn't tie his shoelaces and nearly aborted. It doesn't give you superpowers and Einstein was just a very smart man. From those I've met with it, it can be dealt with constructively and isn't a barrier to an ultimately fulfilling life, so don't treat it like it's the be all and end all of your personality.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

My advice: don't think too much about it. It explains some of your habbits or differences, that's all. You are still the same guy you were as before.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Zixinus wrote:My advice: don't think too much about it. It explains some of your habbits or differences, that's all. You are still the same guy you were as before.
Exactly. I have Asperger's (I got diagnosed before it was cool, man!) and all it really means to me is that I'm shy and I like collecting stuff.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Shaka Nyorai
Redshirt

Post by Shaka Nyorai »

Andrew J. wrote:
Zixinus wrote:My advice: don't think too much about it. It explains some of your habbits or differences, that's all. You are still the same guy you were as before.
Exactly. I have Asperger's (I got diagnosed before it was cool, man!) and all it really means to me is that I'm shy and I like collecting stuff.
You sound lucky in that as some people might not have it so good. Imagine if it interfered with holding down a job in the future or difficulty with relationships. It's one thing to be disabled and have a circle of friends to support you, and another to be alone with your problems. Yeah, you have it pretty good if that's all it means to you.

PS: It was never cool or trendy. :shock: :lol:
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Aspergers is on the increase, diagnoses wise. my Dad is filling out several DLA forms a week for people with it.

I can recommend Jessica Kingsley for some information on the various Autistic spectrum disorders. They have the market cornered for well made and informative books on the subject.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Dartzap wrote:Aspergers is on the increase, diagnoses wise. my Dad is filling out several DLA forms a week for people with it.
DLA? As in Disability Living Allowance? I'm on it now, but that it is because of my temporarily wonky ankle, although I may likely need some moderate assistance to induct me into work, and I don't want to leech off the State much longer.

They say Asperger's Syndrome not only induces awkward social skills and hard to suppress fixations, but make sufferers hard to read facial expressions nor have much of an imagination; I have no genuine trouble in reading facial expressions or the tone of voices and I don't lack imagination, but I have a social defect in that I'm less inclined to pick up on many subtle social and behavioural taboos that 'normal' people take for granted. Also I can occasionally have a vicious temper and have pushed furniture over or thrown/broke objects, although 'normal' people can have tantrums too.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

My psychologist diagnosed me with Asperger's Syndrome, and discussed some of the symptoms with me. One reason there's conflicting info on Asperger's is because it's not well understood, as a standardized diagnosis didn't exist until the mid-90s. Some physicians believe it's a form of high-functioning autism; some (including mine) believe it's not; and the Wikipedia article states it's still unknown how autism and Asperger's are related, if at all.

As for SirNitram's advice to avoid antipsychotics... Well, his symptoms are different from mine. I frequently engage in obsessive thinking and behavior (I was prescribed antipsychotics because I was obsessed with violence images), but he doesn't, so it probably depends on your symptoms and a (hopefully) competent psychiatrist's diagnosis and prescription.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
The Yosemite Bear

I'm on bi-polar meds, and when I was first told the psychitrist said I was very, highly functional autistic.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

Sidewinder wrote:and the Wikipedia article states it's still unknown how autism and Asperger's are related, if at all.
Aspergers is included in the Autism Spectrum actually.
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I've been told I have Aspergers. I'm not sure weather I agree or not (God knows I've had bad experiences with quack psychiatrists), but as long as I can still live my life I don't really care that much.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Maxentius
Padawan Learner

Post by Maxentius »

When I was regularly seeing a psychiatrist, he told me that I displayed several symptoms of Aspberger's, but was ultimately hesitant to make a concrete diagnosis, due to, as others have stated, the nebulous definition of the condition as a whole. I just kind of shrugged it off, really. So what if you have it? The knowledge isn't going to dramatically alter your life, and it doesn't sound as if this has impaired you all that much.

Just be careful how you use it, I would say. Don't let it become a crutch, and don't let yourself start suddenly thinking that every little nuance to your personality has been affected by this; some people are just shy by nature, some people have nasty tempers when they're stressed. If your quality of life starts to take hits, then perhaps you should worry, but that shouldn't happen so long as you can keep a clear head and keep forging forwards.
Rome is an eternal thought in the mind of God... If there were no Rome, I'd dream of her.
--Marcus Licinius Crassus, Spartacus.

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Big Orange wrote:
Dartzap wrote:Aspergers is on the increase, diagnoses wise. my Dad is filling out several DLA forms a week for people with it.
DLA? As in Disability Living Allowance? I'm on it now, but that it is because of my temporarily wonky ankle, although I may likely need some moderate assistance to induct me into work, and I don't want to leech off the State much longer.
Indeed. When my dad started at his job 14 years ago, he would usually get 2 cases of autism per year. This has now reached an average of 3 per week.

DLA is a tricky one for autism, it can affect someone by making them have substandard social skills, or, at the other end of scale: A client with dyspraxia got so utterly confused how to cross from one railway platform to anouther (dispite the obvious great big bridge) he ran across the rails to get there. As you can imagine, the BTP is after him like a pack of hounds.

Another problem is that health and social services are still struggling to comprehend what kind of condition it is. It aint a mental health condition, it aint a learning disability (although the spectrum does cover many conditions that are) Its a neurological condition, and many local authorities certainly don't have a department for those who are diagnosed in adulthood (And by the by, don't get started on the transition period, anouther farcical state of affairs...)

Thank the merry hells of a Devonian cream tea that I just deal with the Paranoid Schizophrenics....

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

many local authorities certainly don't have a department for those who are diagnosed in adulthood (And by the by, don't get started on the transition period, anouther farcical state of affairs...)
The transition period between what? Incidentally, regarding adult diagnosis, my sister told me that she could find many a resource (i.e. support) for children diagnosed with Asperger's, but nothing for adults. :?

Ironically, the apparently lack of a really defined consensus as to what Asperger's is actually helps me not internalize them; there's not enough that I know (for sure) to say that I have them or use as a crutch. :lol:
They say Asperger's Syndrome not only induces awkward social skills and hard to suppress fixations, but make sufferers hard to read facial expressions nor have much of an imagination; I have no genuine trouble in reading facial expressions or the tone of voices and I don't lack imagination,
Lucky you... in the imagination department. :P I can't think of one original idea I've had...
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

The transition period between what?
Between teenagehood and adulthood. Support for people should, by law, be closely monitored, and plans set in place as to what sort of care plan or further education needs a person has. Because of an apparent lack of resources (social workers and the like) schools rarely if ever do them, and when someone hits the age of 19, the support disappears in a puff of ill-thought out bureaucracy.

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30s. I just always felt I was a typical socially awkward nerd.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I was diagnosed relatively earlier in comparison, when I was in my very late teens. The disturbing thing about Asperger's Syndrome is used as a defence in murder cases. Why not use sociopathy too, as a defence? :roll:

The Yosemite Bear

Orange, Twinkies and Junk Food have been used as a murder defense for a hate crime.