StarDestroyer.Net BBS

Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
Login  FAQ    Search

View unanswered posts | View active topics


It is currently 2014-04-19 03:48pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Board index » Non-Fiction » Off-Topic


Quote of the Week: "In the United States, the majority undertakes to supply a multitude of ready-made opinions for the use of individuals, who are thus relieved from the necessity of forming opinions of their own." - Alexis de Tocqueville, French writer (1805-1859)

Don't text and drive, assholes

Moderators: Frank Hipper, Edi

Post new topic Post a reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message

Thanas
PostPosted: 2013-08-16 03:32am 

Magister


Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm
Posts: 23872
   Profile |  

Raw Shark
PostPosted: 2013-08-16 06:22am 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2005-11-24 10:35am
Posts: 1843
Location: One Mile Up
I'm almost positive that the last girl who crashed into my cab was texting and driving, because she didn't stop typing on the thing until the cops showed up. I wanted to slap that shit out of her hand and shout, "What is so fucking important, you fucking addict!? Are you tweeting, 'I just rammed a cabbie! He's being a dick about it! LOL, #FirstWorldProblems!'"
   Profile |  

Borgholio
PostPosted: 2013-08-16 08:22am 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2010-09-03 09:31pm
Posts: 1777
I could barely watch the first part of that video you linked, Thanas. Jesus fucking Christ, that tugged at the heartstrings. I don't know who is in more pain, the boy or his mother. I hope the bitch who did this paid dearly...
   Profile |  

Raw Shark
PostPosted: 2013-08-16 06:37pm 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2005-11-24 10:35am
Posts: 1843
Location: One Mile Up
Borgholio wrote:
I could barely watch the first part of that video you linked, Thanas. Jesus fucking Christ, that tugged at the heartstrings. I don't know who is in more pain, the boy or his mother. I hope the bitch who did this paid dearly...


She just got a Driving While Distracted ticket ($750 'round these parts) according to the comment section. Not sure if the video confirms that or not; had to close it before I hurled after reading that.
   Profile |  

Thanas
PostPosted: 2013-08-16 08:13pm 

Magister


Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm
Posts: 23872
Considering the other women who permanently disabled someone only got a suspended license and community service, I can believe that.
   Profile |  

Raw Shark
PostPosted: 2013-08-18 07:18am 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2005-11-24 10:35am
Posts: 1843
Location: One Mile Up
Relevant Conversation From The Professional Front Lines:

Your Driver: Yeah, I get into wrecks about once a year. The last dumbass who hit me wasn't even drunk, just texting and driving, if you can believe that.
Blonde Sorority Girl: Yeah, that's completely stupid. I mean, I text and drive, but I've never hit anybody.
Asian Sorority Girl: Yeah, me neither.
YD: Y'know, you really shouldn't do that shit. It's like 750 bucks if they catch you now...
BSG: Ohmygod! That's insane!
ASG: I know, right? That is so unfair!
BSG: What if I'm driving and I, like, get a text?
ASG: The government is like the Mafia!
BSG: So unfair!
YD: [sigh]
   Profile |  

Alyrium Denryle
PostPosted: 2013-08-18 05:21pm 

Minister of Sin


Joined: 2002-07-11 08:34pm
Posts: 20457
Location: Steers and queers indeed...
Thank you Thanas, the relevant video has been reposted to my Viral Meme Machine. I dont text and drive for this exact reason. The last time I was in an actual accident (as opposed to a parking lot fender bender brought on by Freud-Mobiles blocking line of sight), the individual was texting on approach to a freeway on ramp with bad traffic. Did not even hit the brakes, just plowed into the back of the car I was a passenger in at 35 mph. Before that... well, I was on a bike on a university campus. I made my reflex save (critical, actually). Physically leaping off my bike parallel with the car's path, letting my bike get run over. Guess what HE was doing? Speeding through a pedestrian and cyclist-infested university campus while on a cell phone.

No calls when driving either...
   Profile |  

Lord Revan
PostPosted: 2013-08-18 05:42pm 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Posts: 7143
Location: Zone:classified
it shouldn't be so hard to figure that when you text or speak on phone your focus is on that not the road and when your focus isn't on the road your chance of getting into an accident just went up 1000000 times compared to if you were focused at driving.
   Profile |  

Haruko
PostPosted: 2013-08-20 03:45am 

Jedi Master


Joined: 2005-03-12 05:14am
Posts: 1099
Location: California
Haven't watched the whole documentary yet, so sorry if this is redundant, but the article linked below describes a survey (also by AT&T) indicating that texting while driving is not only quite a prevalent practice, but is on the RISE, and with ADULTS notably leading the way. And the usual excuse is multitasking/increased productivity and connecting with people.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/5607 ... s.html.csp
   Profile |  

Borgholio
PostPosted: 2013-08-20 08:51am 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2010-09-03 09:31pm
Posts: 1777
Well they're right about one thing. Texting while driving DOES allow connecting with people. Probably not in the way they wanted though.
   Profile |  

Isolder74
PostPosted: 2013-08-20 11:36am 

Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes


Joined: 2002-07-10 01:16am
Posts: 6493
Location: Weber State of Construction University
Well when Mythbusters did their cell phone vs drunk tests they found that they did worse on the test when on the cell phone then they did bald faced drunk....really.
   Profile |  

Captain Seafort
PostPosted: 2013-08-20 01:37pm 

Jedi Master


Joined: 2008-10-10 11:52am
Posts: 1106
Location: Blighty
Isolder74 wrote:
Well when Mythbusters did their cell phone vs drunk tests they found that they did worse on the test when on the cell phone then they did bald faced drunk....really.


Probably a lot worse - there's proper science to prove this.
   Profile |  

Havok
PostPosted: 2013-08-20 11:21pm 

Miscreant


Joined: 2005-07-02 10:41pm
Posts: 12369
Location: Oakland CA
Drunk people are trying their fucking best to pay attention to everything so they don't hit anybody and don't get caught.

You guys think you have it bad... ride a motorcycle everyday. Totally different perspective.
You think texting is the only distracting danger out there?
No offense, but half of you have probably almost hit someone (probably on a motorcycle and don't even realize it) just being distracted by the radio station or someone talking to you.
   Profile |  

Isolder74
PostPosted: 2013-08-21 03:07am 

Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes


Joined: 2002-07-10 01:16am
Posts: 6493
Location: Weber State of Construction University
I know from personal experience playing my own game of Frogger walking down the street that talking on the phone and driving is downright dangerous. On more then one occasion the only reason I'm not seriously hurt or dead wasn't that the driver saw me but I noticed them.

Really someone standing at a bus stop shouldn't have to play dodgeball with cars. The irony of the worst time it ever happened to me was they had just removed the bus bench to replace it with a new one when the moron flew over the corner and almost killed me. If the bench was still there, the car would have spun into or on top of me or worse and his car would have been totaled. I'm still trying to figure out how he didn't hit the stop sign or the bus stop marker(Edit: Just as a point of information the space between the two signs was only about 5 feet)!

Last edited by Isolder74 on 2013-08-21 07:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
   Profile |  

Thanas
PostPosted: 2013-08-21 06:26am 

Magister


Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm
Posts: 23872
Havok wrote:
Drunk people are trying their fucking best to pay attention to everything so they don't hit anybody and don't get caught.

You guys think you have it bad... ride a motorcycle everyday. Totally different perspective.
You think texting is the only distracting danger out there?
No offense, but half of you have probably almost hit someone (probably on a motorcycle and don't even realize it) just being distracted by the radio station or someone talking to you.



Yeah, I can attest to that from my own personal experience as well. Almost got squashed like a bug by a truck several times.

It got worse because until a few years back, motorcyclists were supposed to ride around with having their lights on all the time. This served as extra warning and made everyone notice. Then they decided to recommend to everybody to always have their lights on and the extra protection to bikers is now gone.
   Profile |  

Alyeska
PostPosted: 2013-08-21 07:28pm 

Federation Ambassador


Joined: 2002-08-11 07:28pm
Posts: 17421
Location: Montana, USA
Thanas wrote:
Havok wrote:
Drunk people are trying their fucking best to pay attention to everything so they don't hit anybody and don't get caught.

You guys think you have it bad... ride a motorcycle everyday. Totally different perspective.
You think texting is the only distracting danger out there?
No offense, but half of you have probably almost hit someone (probably on a motorcycle and don't even realize it) just being distracted by the radio station or someone talking to you.



Yeah, I can attest to that from my own personal experience as well. Almost got squashed like a bug by a truck several times.

It got worse because until a few years back, motorcyclists were supposed to ride around with having their lights on all the time. This served as extra warning and made everyone notice. Then they decided to recommend to everybody to always have their lights on and the extra protection to bikers is now gone.


Some motorcycles around here have a pulsing headlight that is very noticeable in the safety distance ranges. Wish that was standard for all the bikes.
   Profile |  

Alyrium Denryle
PostPosted: 2013-08-22 08:55am 

Minister of Sin


Joined: 2002-07-11 08:34pm
Posts: 20457
Location: Steers and queers indeed...
Havok wrote:
Drunk people are trying their fucking best to pay attention to everything so they don't hit anybody and don't get caught.

You guys think you have it bad... ride a motorcycle everyday. Totally different perspective.
You think texting is the only distracting danger out there?
No offense, but half of you have probably almost hit someone (probably on a motorcycle and don't even realize it) just being distracted by the radio station or someone talking to you.



Oh, I realized it shortly thereafter. Hell, I was not even distracted, it was just near civil twilight, his lights were not on, and I didnt see him because he and his bike blended into the background (medium green and gray, blends right into the sidewalk and people's lawns) when I was checking for approaching vehicles while making a right turn. Not even a motorcycle--which I can usually rely on hearing to detect--but some sort of vespaesque contraption that really should not be street legal.
   Profile |  

Action Avenue
PostPosted: 2013-09-01 04:13pm 

Redshirt


Joined: 2012-03-20 10:02am
Posts: 29
Location: Midwest USA
This goes for people who talk on their phones and drive at the same time. A couple of days ago, my wife and I were almost hit by some idiot in a Ford F150 who was busy chatting it up on the phone instead of paying attention to the road and his driving.
   Profile |  

Ziggy Stardust
PostPosted: 2013-09-01 05:45pm 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2006-09-10 10:16pm
Posts: 1560
Location: Research Triangle, NC
I don't even like talking to people in the car with me, I've had some close calls with just that distraction.
   Profile |  

Raw Shark
PostPosted: 2013-09-02 08:29am 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2005-11-24 10:35am
Posts: 1843
Location: One Mile Up
Oh yeah, don't get me started on distracting the driver. I've had everything from a four-man fistfight in my cab on the highway, to a girl sticking her hand down my pants while I was turning in a busy intersection and nearly causing a head-on with a Jeep Cherokee, to a 30# pug bullseyeing my nuts while we were doing 70mph on the freeway, to two (2) people on separate occasions who put their hands firmly over my eyes while I was driving, to a lunatic passenger actually trying to wrestle the wheel away from me.
   Profile |  

Broomstick
PostPosted: 2013-09-02 11:15am 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2004-01-02 08:04pm
Posts: 20520
Location: Industrial armpit of the US Midwest
Wow. I've had some distracting passengers but dude, maybe you should drive solo in the future. Or get a different group of "friends" or whatever.
   Profile |  

Thanas
PostPosted: 2013-09-02 11:44am 

Magister


Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm
Posts: 23872
He is a cab driver.
   Profile |  

Broomstick
PostPosted: 2013-09-02 01:27pm 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2004-01-02 08:04pm
Posts: 20520
Location: Industrial armpit of the US Midwest
Ooo... yes, that would explain all of that.
   Profile |  

Zaune
PostPosted: 2013-09-02 01:49pm 

Sith Marauder


Joined: 2010-06-21 11:05am
Posts: 3586
Location: In Transit
Raw Shark wrote:
Oh yeah, don't get me started on distracting the driver. I've had everything from a four-man fistfight in my cab on the highway, to a girl sticking her hand down my pants while I was turning in a busy intersection and nearly causing a head-on with a Jeep Cherokee, to a 30# pug bullseyeing my nuts while we were doing 70mph on the freeway, to two (2) people on separate occasions who put their hands firmly over my eyes while I was driving, to a lunatic passenger actually trying to wrestle the wheel away from me.

No partition between you and the passenger compartment? I thought that was mandatory for livery cabs in most places.
   Profile |  

Kitsune
PostPosted: 2013-09-02 02:21pm 

Sith Devotee


Joined: 2003-04-05 11:52pm
Posts: 3298
Location: Foxes Den
Tempted to shut my ringer off my cell phone when driving like I do when sleeping but will forget to turn it back on
   Profile |  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Post a reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently 2014-04-19 03:48pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Board index » Non-Fiction » Off-Topic

Who is online: Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DaveJB and 8 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group