You own an electricity generator (RAR!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Re: You own an electricity generator (RAR!)

Post by Ryan Thunder »

lordofchange13 wrote:...what about the Terawatt guys?
I'm not sure there are any systems that could currently handle that kind of power from such a small object.

I mean, I'm pretty sure any material you hooked it up to would just melt or vapourize.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

lordofchange13 wrote: ...what about the Terawatt guys?
Does anyone even have a hundred thousand posts? Darth Wong has about 69 thousand.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Darmalus wrote:
Does anyone even have a hundred thousand posts? Darth Wong has about 69 thousand.
I assume since it was put up there in the first place that someone has reached that number.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Presumably if you had a Tw cube and sold it you'd simply get another 3 orders of magniude in annual income. In other words, a trillion per year. Of course, there is no way you could actually make that much. I doubt if even the GW cubes could make you a billion. I woudl think people will want a bulk discount of some sort.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

Darmalus wrote:
No, Darth Wong has the highest post count, followed by The Yosemite Bear (33 k) and Sea Skimmer (32 k).
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

What is so special about the colour of the lines?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Even if you had a terawatt source and magic cables able to handle the insanely high level of power coming out of it it'd be impossible to rig that into the grid, the largest of power stations is only 7gw or so and that’s split over multiple individual reactors with massive amounts of hardware to handle the power flow. A power source on that scale could never be run at anywhere near its full capacity. I’m sure you could sell it to CERN for making anti matter or something though.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Actually the most likely scenario about this would be that the cubes would be taken from all the SDN members once it got out that these things exist.

The kilowatt guys might be spared or theirs might be simply brought. Those with gigawatts or even megawatts however are going to have their cubes taken away by more violent means (if necessary).

A reliable means of producing electricity in large quantities is a pretty desired item. The list of governments or even corporations can easily extend: militaries that want tanks or warships to be powered by these things, energy-poor (or very energy-hungry) governments willing to take risks to get the electricity or even rich idiots that must have it.

Can the cubes be disassembled? Because I am certain that in slightly more ideal case, research would be attempted to replicate these things.

Also, just how exactly would the cubes output power? Does it sense if I wave a connector to it and magically forms the appropriate socket? How does the grounding work?

EDIT: Remember that with the terawatt cubes, that's the maximum power output. Which means that it can probably output smaller quantities.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Enigma wrote:What is so special about the colour of the lines?
Ev'rybuddy' knowz da red wunz go fasta.

I power my own home. One less bill in the mail. I'm not sure how I'd go about selling any excess.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The trick with the more powerful cubes would be to get them off your own hands in exchange for some reasonable sum of money- negotiate with someone quickly in an aboveboard way and get a contract that will stand up in court. If that doesn't mean you get a 2.4 million dollar a year income, such a pity, but it's better than nothing and having to worry about being burgled all the time.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Zixinus wrote:A reliable means of producing electricity in large quantities is a pretty desired item. The list of governments or even corporations can easily extend: militaries that want tanks or warships to be powered by these things, energy-poor (or very energy-hungry) governments willing to take risks to get the electricity or even rich idiots that must have it.
Why would they go straight to violence when money works and is completely legal ?
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

bilateralrope wrote:
Zixinus wrote:A reliable means of producing electricity in large quantities is a pretty desired item. The list of governments or even corporations can easily extend: militaries that want tanks or warships to be powered by these things, energy-poor (or very energy-hungry) governments willing to take risks to get the electricity or even rich idiots that must have it.
Why would they go straight to violence when money works and is completely legal ?
Or blackmail. Or harassment. Or any number of unpleasent ways for dirty people to get something they want.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

As I said, if you're worried about that, get it off your hands, to someone whose reputation for probity is more valuable to them than the cube- or at least, who is willing to spend money to make money. Most businesses are, or they wouldn't be businesses.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

Zixinus wrote:Or blackmail. Or harassment. Or any number of unpleasent ways for dirty people to get something they want.
Until they get assassinated by somebody with the moolah to do so, thanks to the cube.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

bilateralrope wrote:
I think it is because he is operating on the very sound principal that most of those with high end cubes would not reasonably want to take up the first offer for a very small percentage of the income they could conceivably have out of it. It's like discovering an oil well in your back yard and the next day someone comes over with $10000 in cash and offers to buy it. Would you? And what happens if you don't agree?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ryan Thunder wrote: I'm not sure there are any systems that could currently handle that kind of power from such a small object.

I mean, I'm pretty sure any material you hooked it up to would just melt or vapourize.
That's okay, just keep it bathed in a giant tub of liquid metal and use the liquid metal to run a thermal power plant. A really really big thermal power plant
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:...what about the Terawatt guys?
I'm not sure there are any systems that could currently handle that kind of power from such a small object.

Superconductors? If nothing else, just get as much power out of it that you can, and hold the excess capacity over the heads of the scientific community as a way to encourage further research.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Show the cube to the guy behind this website and pay him to design and build a continuous-beam laser cannon powered by it. (Even if I'm sacrificing half its power to run the cooling system, that's still a lot of zap.) Roof-mount it on an Army-surplus Snatch Land Rover, commit a few armoured car heists to fund some secondary armament and pledge myself to the Black Bloc in the heavy fire-support role.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog