UK and US forces launch 'targeted strikes' against Houthi rebel targets in Yemen

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Formless
Sith Marauder

Re: UK and US forces launch 'targeted strikes' against Houthi rebel targets in Yemen

Post by Formless »

Solauren wrote: 2024-01-17 03:56pm By that reasoning, the entire GOP is responsible for Trumps actions in regard to the Jan 6 resurrection attempt, and his actions in office, and should he be convicted on any of it, they should all be arrested as well.
Please, explain to the crowd how you think criminal liability, a legal concept, equates to responsibility, an ethical concept? :roll:
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: UK and US forces launch 'targeted strikes' against Houthi rebel targets in Yemen

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-01-17 03:45pmReally? The best argument you can come up with is "Well... BIDEN HIRED HIM! It's His Fault" :roll:
Ok. Fine.
Funny how you mention Brown. Because, you're right, Brown was Massively Unqualified, and should never have been near ANY Federal Position.
Biden made the guy secretary of defence, and now Biden has to deal with the fallout of his choice. One doesn't give someone a ton of power and then not bear the consequences when that person does something naughty.
One the other hand -- let's look at Lloyd J. Austin.
*snip bio*
Do you see anything in that biography that would lead you to believe Austin was unqualified for the job? Do you seen anything in that to suggest BIDEN had any idea Austin would decide to not tell anyone he was in the hospital?

While I will admit there's a big Military Culture about "suck it up and soldier on" about medical conditions, Austin's fuckup is on HIM. NOT on BIDEN, no matter how much you (and GOP assholes) want to twist it.

This isnt' WaterGate. Biden did not in any way, shape, or form condone Austin's actions.

Now, if you want to continue trying to blame BIDEN for AUSTIN's actions, Please try to come up with better excuses. :wanker:
All I see there is army guy being skilled at army guy things, and some war crimes. Nothing here about his probity, which should be a concern in public/civil service considering the power of the institution and the roles within. I should also expect that the background check for a cabinet role is a little deeper than a government webpage.

But to use the government webpage example, here's an excerpt from another government site.
whitehouse.gov wrote:President Biden’s Cabinet reflects his pledge to appoint leaders of government agencies that reflect the country they aim to serve.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Gandalf wrote: 2024-01-17 06:14pm Biden made the guy secretary of defence, and now Biden has to deal with the fallout of his choice. One doesn't give someone a ton of power and then not bear the consequences when that person does something naughty
The fallout of anyone he appointed doing anything bad at any point while in office regardless of whether there was any prior reason to believe they would do so. This is a realistic standard and not just you doing your troll shtick
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Biden having to deal with the fallout of having picked that person is fair. Blaming Biden for not being prescient and knowing something like that would happen is not.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I think bosses should be responsible for their employees actions. Or they don't deserve to earn one cent more than the employee does. Their pay increase is supposed to be from taking responsibility. I know it's actually not true IRL, just look at all those venal CEOs saying they'll take responsibility for their company doing whatever murder/maiming/poisioning of people or nature this year and nothing coming of it. When they shold be going away to maximum security prison for a few decades to earn their multi million bonuses. This is just how I wish it to be.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Batman wrote: 2024-01-18 12:26am Biden having to deal with the fallout of having picked that person is fair. Blaming Biden for not being prescient and [i)knowing[/i] something like that would happen is not.
Yeah sure and what his subordinates do in general reflects on Biden in some sense. But that's pretty clearly not what Gandalf is going for.

Note the distinct lack of any examples of prior fuck ups that would give Biden reason to expect the guy to pull something like that.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2024-01-18 12:39am I think bosses should be responsible for their employees actions. Or they don't deserve to earn one cent more than the employee does. Their pay increase is supposed to be from taking responsibility. I know it's actually not true IRL, just look at all those venal CEOs saying they'll take responsibility for their company doing whatever murder/maiming/poisioning of people or nature this year and nothing coming of it. When they shold be going away to maximum security prison for a few decades to earn their multi million bonuses. This is just how I wish it to be.
Given that we're talking about one notable instance of being a an irresponsible dumb ass instead of some sort of pattern of negligence responsibility here should mean something like replacing or disciplining the guy, wouldn't you say?
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

The prison example was in relation to "murder/maiming/poisioning of people or nature", naturally the level of consequence differs based on the severity of what has happened. I just think the general principle of responsibility flows upwards should be upheld.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I'm with Ralin on this. One or two of Biden's cabinet picks turning out to be on the fiddle or simply not up to the job is unfortunate but probably inevitable, candidates who look good on paper turning out to be a disappointment will happen to everyone who's empowered to make hiring decisions at some point. But if this starts to become a trend I think it's entirely fair to question whether he's vetting his appointments properly.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

dupe
Last edited by Broomstick on 2024-01-18 05:20am, edited 1 time in total.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The first fuck up of a hire or appointee is, arguably, on that person.

The second starts to splash the person who hired/appointed that person, because presumably that person can also replace the fuck up and didn't.

Some positions are sensitive enough that the person needs to be replaced after the first fuck up, not allowing a second.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Regarding to who is trying to enlarge the conflict, Iran is the current frontrunner, trying to pull Irak, Syria, and now Pakistan into it, for whatever reason.

Pakistan decided to respond today.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68014882
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yep. Pakistan returned fire, and seemed to shock Iran by doing so.

Why did Iran launch strikes on its allies?

NOTE -- this is the writer's opinion and not fully backed by any other data so far.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LaCroix wrote: Regarding to who is trying to enlarge the conflict, Iran is the current frontrunner, trying to pull Irak, Syria, and now Pakistan into it, for whatever reason.
After some thought, I have to wonder if someone in Iran is trying to pull in everyone else without official permission (or even unofficial permission).

for all we know, a Sunni muslim lied that he was Shia, got into a position to do this, and is hoping the Shia Muslim's will be overthrown by outside forces. Like by say, Pakistan (which is 85% Sunni)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Something something hole, something something stop digging...

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-01-16 10:14am
PainRack wrote: 2024-01-16 04:56am
This along with the defence secretary hospitalisation without informing the Cabinet is a negative against Biden.

It's just not significant however given that Congress can't even fund the US government.....
THAT was the DOD themselves not telling ANYONE, including Biden, about the hospitalization. NOT BIDEN'S FAULT, no matter who's trying to pin it on him.
I think the salient point still remains that for a functional US democracy, Biden should had sought Congress approval first before attacking.

The problem is the US democracy isn't functional. That's a HUGE problem.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Broomstick wrote: 2024-01-18 05:19am Some positions are sensitive enough that the person needs to be replaced after the first fuck up, not allowing a second.
Weirdly, Biden isn't firing the guy. So bailing as secretary of defence for a few days isn't apparently a firing offence.

Cabinet people are functional extensions of PoTUS, appointed on his say so and a confirmation. It shouldn't be too much for him to say "Looks like my pick didn't work out. Sorry all. The replacement will be in soon."
PainRack wrote: 2024-01-20 05:45am I think the salient point still remains that for a functional US democracy, Biden should had sought Congress approval first before attacking.

The problem is the US democracy isn't functional. That's a HUGE problem.
Yeah. Too bad there's not likely to be any repercussions for it. This move has big Bush II energy.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

PainRack wrote: 2024-01-20 05:45am I think the salient point still remains that for a functional US democracy, Biden should had sought Congress approval first before attacking.
Why? The president's ability to do this on his own authority is well established. Four consecutive administrations have done the same thing to the same country. Why would Biden be expected to change things up by asking permission?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I think we should all get back on topic, and stop with the side-track of "Biden This and Biden That". You all sound like MAGArats trying to prove Biden is worse than Trump.

SO. ON TOPIC ABOUT AIRSTRIKES.
Senior Iran Revolutionary Guard Leader Killed in Syrian Airstrike
Five senior members of Iran's security forces have been killed in a suspected air strike on the Syrian capital.
Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard blamed Israel for the attack, which it said killed its military advisers as well as a number of Syrian forces.

Israel has not commented. For years it has carried out strikes on Iranian-linked targets in Syria.
Such strikes have intensified since the Israel-Gaza war began following Hamas's 7 October attacks on Israel.
Iran's foreign ministry said the attacks were an "aggressive and provocative" act by Israel, urging international actors to condemn them.

Senior figures among the Revolutionary Guard - a major military, political and economic force in Iran - have been present in Syria since the civil war began there in 2011, helping to support the regime of President Bashar al-Assad against widespread rebellion to his rule.
Saturday's attack took place in the Mazzeh neighbourhood, south-west Damascus, an area home to a military airport, as well as the UN headquarters in Damascus, embassies and restaurants.
Iran's semi-official Mehr news agency said the attacks killed the IRGC's Syria intelligence chief and his deputy, as well as other Guard members.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based campaign group, said 10 people were killed in the strikes, including leaders of the Revolutionary Guard.
The state-run Syrian Arab News Agency quoted a military source as saying it had managed to stop some of the missiles, but that the attacks - which it said had hit a residential building - killed and injured some civilians. Buildings were also destroyed, it said.
Was it Israel? Was it Iraq, Pakistan, or someone in Syria itself, as payback for Iran's airstrikes?
Until and unless someone tracks the missiles back, we won't know. Hell, we might not know even then, but crying "ISRAEL DID IT" is a kneejerk reaction.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EVEN MORE ON TOPIC:

TRACKING HOUTHI ATTACKS IN THE RED SEA
Note: there are graphs and photos I can't copy and paste, go read the article to see. I am quoting just the opening paragraphs.
In recent weeks the dangers for shipping in the Red Sea region have increased dramatically, as Iranian-backed Houthi fighters have targeted commercial shipping with drone and missile attacks, as well as more brazen assaults by boat and helicopter.

The Houthis, who control a large part of Yemen, have declared their backing for Hamas in its war with Israel, and say they are targeting commercial vessels with links to Israel.
But many of the ships targeted, particularly in recent days, have no clear links to Israel at all.
As can be seen in data mapped by BBC Verify below, most of the attempted strikes on shipping have occurred at the southern end of the Red Sea, along the Yemeni coast, as the waterway narrows into the Bab al-Mandab Strait.
Shipping further east in the Gulf of Aden has also been targeted.
Only a few of the attempted strikes have hit their targets. One of the most recent was on 17 January, involving the Genco Picardy, a US-owned bulk carrier. It sustained damage to its side from a Houthi drone but was able to continue its journey.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Houthis, who control a large part of Yemen,
That seems like a weird way of saying that they're the government of Yemen.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Ralin wrote: 2024-01-20 08:22pm
Are you saying you think they should be considered the victors of the civil war and therefore the legitimate government, or are you not aware that there is an active civil war in Yemen and has been since 2014?

Green is Houthis (shia), red is prewar government (nominally sunni), yellow is secessionist South Yemen (also nominally sunni).
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2024-01-21 12:43am
Ralin wrote: 2024-01-20 08:22pm
Are you saying you think they should be considered the victors of the civil war and therefore the legitimate government, or are you not aware that there is an active civil war in Yemen and has been since 2014?

Green is Houthis (shia), red is prewar government (nominally sunni), yellow is secessionist South Yemen (also nominally sunni).
I was under the impression that they had mostly won the civil war at this point. But if I was wrong then okay.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

To be fair if I'm reading that map right, the Houthis do control a large portion of major population centers, in place like Arabian peninsula just looking at area some controls might not give the whole picture, since some one might nominally control a large area but it's because it's desert no one has bothered taking from them.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Revan wrote: 2024-01-21 07:24am To be fair if I'm reading that map right, the Houthis do control a large portion of major population centers, in place like Arabian peninsula just looking at area some controls might not give the whole picture, since some one might nominally control a large area but it's because it's desert no one has bothered taking from them.
The question is also "Do they Control, or just Claim Control?"
Sana'a, the Capital of Yemen, is in the Houthi-controlled region, but are they Running A Government from there?