Trump/Republican Coup Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump/Republican Coup Thread

Post by Solauren »

Not reposting as it's a free website but....

Rioters planned for weeks in plain sight of the police...

This begs the question....

If the police knew, they had to have warned higher ups, and related agencies.

In other words, all levels of security involved with the capital, should have known.

The same as they did with the B.L.M protests.

So, why were they not prepared in the same way?

Because higher level ups....
Didn't think anyone would actually try anything?
They were told by someone very high up not to interfere?

The first, is incompetence
The second, since this was a Coup, could be considered Treason.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

https://www.wsaz.com/2021/01/08/wva-del ... s-capitol/

Hey look! West Virginian (former) Delegate Derrick Evans was just arrested by the FBI at his mom's house. :twisted:
There's a lovely video of her trying to shoo away the reporter and blaming it all on Trump. :twisted:
I wonder how many WVians turned him into the FBI that they found him that quickly :twisted: I know I did.

I"ll have to doublecheck, but I believe there's a line in WV State Codex about members of House of Delegates not being felons. Evans is done.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-01-08 03:57pm I"ll have to doublecheck, but I believe there's a line in WV State Codex about members of House of Delegates not being felons. Evans is done.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-01-08 03:57pm https://www.wsaz.com/2021/01/08/wva-del ... s-capitol/

Hey look! West Virginian (former) Delegate Derrick Evans was just arrested by the FBI at his mom's house. :twisted:
There's a lovely video of her trying to shoo away the reporter and blaming it all on Trump. :twisted:
Well..... she IS sort of right on that point....
LadyTevar wrote: 2021-01-08 03:57pmI"ll have to doublecheck, but I believe there's a line in WV State Codex about members of House of Delegates not being felons. Evans is done.
That's another one down - how many more to go?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's probably too soon, but now for a little levity:

"What the difference between the US Capitol and Mordor?"
- You can't just walk into Mordor

Also -

"Due to Covid travel restrictions Americans had to set up a coup locally this year."

Thank you, thank you - I'll just get into this handbasket to hell over here.....
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Permanent suspension of @realDonaldTrump
By Twitter Inc.
Friday, 8 January 2021

After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence.

In the context of horrific events this week, we made it clear on Wednesday that additional violations of the Twitter Rules would potentially result in this very course of action. Our public interest framework exists to enable the public to hear from elected officials and world leaders directly. It is built on a principle that the people have a right to hold power to account in the open.

However, we made it clear going back years that these accounts are not above our rules entirely and cannot use Twitter to incite violence, among other things. We will continue to be transparent around our policies and their enforcement.

The below is a comprehensive analysis of our policy enforcement approach in this case.

Overview

On January 8, 2021, President Donald J. Trump tweeted:

“The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!”

Shortly thereafter, the President tweeted:

“To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.”

Due to the ongoing tensions in the United States, and an uptick in the global conversation in regards to the people who violently stormed the Capitol on January 6, 2021, these two Tweets must be read in the context of broader events in the country and the ways in which the President’s statements can be mobilized by different audiences, including to incite violence, as well as in the context of the pattern of behavior from this account in recent weeks. After assessing the language in these Tweets against our Glorification of Violence policy, we have determined that these Tweets are in violation of the Glorification of Violence Policy and the user @realDonaldTrump should be immediately permanently suspended from the service.

Assessment

We assessed the two Tweets referenced above under our Glorification of Violence policy, which aims to prevent the glorification of violence that could inspire others to replicate violent acts and determined that they were highly likely to encourage and inspire people to replicate the criminal acts that took place at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.

This determination is based on a number of factors, including:
- President Trump’s statement that he will not be attending the Inauguration is being received by a number of his supporters as further confirmation that the election was not legitimate and is seen as him disavowing his previous claim made via two Tweets (1, 2) by his Deputy Chief of Staff, Dan Scavino, that there would be an “orderly transition” on January 20th.
- The second Tweet may also serve as encouragement to those potentially considering violent acts that the Inauguration would be a “safe” target, as he will not be attending.
- The use of the words “American Patriots” to describe some of his supporters is also being interpreted as support for those committing violent acts at the US Capitol.
- The mention of his supporters having a “GIANT VOICE long into the future” and that “They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!” is being interpreted as further indication that President Trump does not plan to facilitate an “orderly transition” and instead that he plans to continue to support, empower, and shield those who believe he won the election.
- Plans for future armed protests have already begun proliferating on and off-Twitter, including a proposed secondary attack on the US Capitol and state capitol buildings on January 17, 2021.

As such, our determination is that the two Tweets above are likely to inspire others to replicate the violent acts that took place on January 6, 2021, and that there are multiple indicators that they are being received and understood as encouragement to do so.
So it turns out that Twitter does have a line they won't tolerate political figures crossing.

I wonder where Trump is going to run to now. Both in terms of finding somewhere to air what he says and fleeing criminal prosecution.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

He's started a parler account I believe.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-08 03:30pm
The_Saint wrote: 2021-01-08 05:21am
Could that lead to any charges against rioters including or escalating from assault to manslaughter/murder? and/or attempted murder/manslaughter for anyone just being there?
In theory, yes, being part of committing a felony where there is a fatality most certainly can and frequently does lead to a murder charge. If you're darker than White, or if you're poor, or both.

Do note the qualification I added to that.

IF that logic is followed through then, in theory, every person involved in that mob action could face the charge of murdering a police officer and anyone who instigated it by, say, telling said mob to march to the Capitol.

Trump has said for years that he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue in New York and get away with it. On Wednesday, he aimed a mob at several hundred people, thinking he could get away with it. I hope that he can't but fear that he might.
Felony murder in DC requires certain predicate felonies. None of those predicate felonies occurred. So no, the only people who can get charged are the people actually involved in the beating.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-01-08 07:04pm He's started a parler account I believe.
Which do you think is more valuable to Parler, having Trump on their platform, or having their platform on Apple devices ?

Apple threatens to remove Parler social networking service from App Store
(Reuters) - Apple Inc has threatened to remove the Parler social networking service from its App Store unless the company changes its content moderation policies, Parler Chief Executive John Matze told Reuters on Friday.

Parler is a social network where many supporters of President Donald Trump have migrated after being banned from services such as Twitter Inc. In a letter from Apple’s App Store review team to Parler seen by Reuters, Apple cited instances of the service’s being used to make plans to descend on Washington, D.C., with weapons after a mob stormed the U.S. Capitol building on Wednesday.

Apple declined to comment.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

If forcing Apple users to post through a browser instead of the dedicated app is going to be a deal-breaker it's Parler's own fault for hiring incompetent interface and UX designers.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This clownshoes putsch is almost a shot-for-shot remake of the neo-Nazi coup in Bolivia 14 months ago (and the dozen or so attempted coups in Venezuela), only the CIA and the Bolivian fascists had an army general on the payroll.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-08 05:20pm It's probably too soon, but now for a little levity:
"What the difference between the US Capitol and Mordor?"
- You can't just walk into Mordor
Also -
"Due to Covid travel restrictions Americans had to set up a coup locally this year."
Thank you, thank you - I'll just get into this handbasket to hell over here.....
Already reposted those on FB myself so you're far from the first one to think that's OK
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Donald Trump is trying (and failing) to get around Twitter's ban
Only a few hours after Twitter announced a ban on President Donald Trump’s @realdonaldtrump account, he has attempted to tweet from two other accounts under his control. Tweets posted to the official @POTUS account were swiftly deleted, and after the same thread was posted on the Trump campaign’s @TeamTrump account, it has been suspended entirely.

In a response statement, Twitter cited its ban evasion policy, which says that if an account is being used to evade a ban, it’s subject to suspension.

In the deleted tweets, Trump complained about the treatment he’s receiving, and claimed he is negotiating with “various other sites” while also looking at building his own platform “in the near future.” How having his own platform would align with his stated objective to repeal Section 230 (the law that would protect his platform from being held directly responsible for what people post on it) is unclear.

So far, the president has not attempted to release a statement via the White House website or called a press conference. According to reports, the Trump campaign has not emailed its followers in over 48 hours — a rare occurrence. Someone in the Trump administration emailed the text of the tweet to White House pool reporter Hans Nichols after seeing the tweets on the @POTUS account.

Twitter spokesperson: “As we’ve said, using another account to try to evade a suspension is against our rules. We have taken steps to enforce this with regard to recent Tweets from the @POTUS account. For government accounts, such as @POTUS and @WhiteHouse, we will not suspend those accounts permanently but will take action to limit their use.
We have had people here who put more thought and effort into their ban evasion attempts than Trump did.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I find it hysterically sad... And yet in no way surprising that Trump, screaming about being silenced and muffled and censored... Has failed to remember he can call a press conference and appear on national television whenever he wants,
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2021-01-08 11:17pm I find it hysterically sad... And yet in no way surprising that Trump, screaming about being silenced and muffled and censored... Has failed to remember he can call a press conference and appear on national television whenever he wants,
Yeah, but then he has to deal with the press. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Washington Post
As Josh Hawley loses a book deal over the Capitol riots, his GOP mentor says backing him was ‘the worst mistake I ever made’
Teo Armus

John C. Danforth, a former Republican senator from Missouri, had once viewed Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) as a “once-in-a-generation” talent — a young, upstart politician with a promising future in Washington.

Yet after a mob of Trump supporters burst into the Capitol on Wednesday, Danforth said that campaigning for Hawley to take his old seat was “the worst mistake I ever made in my life.”

Hawley had been the first senator to announce he would object to President-elect Joe Biden’s victory, citing baseless claims of mass election fraud. So when the rioters bashed inside, attempting to overturn the election, it was clear who was at fault, Danforth said.

“But for him it wouldn’t have happened,” Danforth told the Kansas City Star. He made the certification vote “a way to express the view that the election was stolen. He was responsible.”

His office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Washington Post late on Thursday. But in a statement to KSDK, the 41-year-old senator was unrepentant about his role in challenging Biden’s electoral college victory.

“I will never apologize for giving voice to the millions of Missourians and Americans who have concerns about the integrity of our elections,” he said. “That’s my job, and I will keep doing it.”
Capitol Police were unable to stop a breach of the Capitol. Washington Post reporter Carol Leonnig and a former Senate Sergeant at Arms describe the events. (The Washington Post)

In leading the Senate’s objection to Biden’s electors alongside Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), Hawley has rapidly lifted his national profile, amassing the kind of attention that many observers speculate could pave the way to a future White House bid. But it has also arguably brought him more blame for the riots than anyone besides President Trump.

As The Washington Post’s Kim Bellware reported, Hawley raised his fist in solidarity when he strode past Trump supporters outside the Capitol on Wednesday afternoon. Hours later, part of that crowd invaded the building, bringing the certification process to a sudden halt. But when Congress reconvened later in the day, Hawley continued with his objections.

After witnessing the “disturbing, deadly insurrection,” Simon & Schuster on Thursday said it had canceled a book deal with the senator, who had been first elected to Congress in 2018.

“We take seriously our larger public responsibility as citizens, and cannot support Senator Hawley after his role in what became a dangerous threat to our democracy and freedom,” a statement from the publishing house said.

The senator had been set to release a book with Simon & Schuster titled “The Tyranny of Big Tech,” about how big tech companies “represent the gravest threat to American liberty since the monopolies of the Gilded Age,” The Post’s Amy B Wang reported.

Hawley responded by decrying the publisher as a “woke mob” and pledging to fight its “cancel culture” in court.

“This could not be more Orwellian,” he said in a statement on Twitter. “This is the Left looking to cancel everyone they don’t approve of.”

Yet much of the backlash against Hawley was in fact coming from other Republicans — and in at least one case, from the man whose donations fueled the senator’s political ascent.

David Humphreys, a businessman and onetime conservative Missouri megadonor, said Thursday that Hawley should be censured for his use of “irresponsible, inflammatory and dangerous tactics.”

“He has now revealed himself as a political opportunist willing to subvert the Constitution and the ideals of the nation he swore to uphold,” Humphreys, president and chief executive of Tamko Building Products, said in a statement to the Missouri Independent.

According to the Independent, Humphreys’s donations amounted to about one-third of Hawley’s total fundraising for his successful 2016 campaign for Missouri attorney general. Two years later, the megadonor’s family contributed an estimated $2 million to groups supporting Hawley’s Senate bid.

On Twitter, state Rep. Shamed Dogan, a Republican, wrote that he regretted voting for Hawley.

“His refusal to accept the legitimacy of Joe Biden’s election, even after today’s violence, is an embarrassment,” Dogan said.

Not unsurprisingly, the strongest rebukes on the social media platform came from Democratic lawmakers in Congress, including Reps. Cori Bush (Mo.), Joaquin Castro (Tex.) and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.). All three called for Hawley to resign.

The Kansas City Star’s editorial board, which had once endorsed Hawley as the “clear choice” in the 2018 Republican Senate primary, took a more pragmatic view.

“If Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley had a conscience, he’d resign,” the editorial’s headline said. Instead, “he’ll have to be removed.”

Bellware and Wang contributed to this report.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2021-01-08 11:17pm I find it hysterically sad... And yet in no way surprising that Trump, screaming about being silenced and muffled and censored... Has failed to remember he can call a press conference and appear on national television whenever he wants,
I wonder if Trump knows how to set up a press conference?

Or was he so reliant on underlings to make that happen that, if he can't find an underling, he doesn't know how to go about setting one up?

Because it wouldn't surprise me at all if not only people important enough to be named by the media are quitting but also folks from lower ranks.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

'I want him out': Republicans flee from Trump in wake of US Capitol riot
US President Donald Trump's steadfast grip on Republicans in Washington is beginning to crumble, leaving him more politically isolated than at any other point in his turbulent administration.

After riling up a crowd that later staged a violent siege of the US Capitol, Trump appears to have lost some of his strongest allies, including South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham.

Two Cabinet members and at least a half dozen aides have resigned. A handful of congressional Republicans are openly considering whether to join a renewed push for impeachment.

One GOP senator who has split with Trump in the past called on him to resign and questioned whether she would stay in the party.

“I want him out,” Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska told The Anchorage Daily News. "He has caused enough damage.”

The insurrection on the heels of a bruising election loss in Georgia accomplished what other low points in Trump's presidency did not: force Republicans to fundamentally reassess their relationship with a leader who has long abandoned tradition and decorum.

The result could reshape the party, threatening the influence that Trump craves while creating a divide between those in Washington and activists in swaths of the country where the president is especially popular.

“At this point, I won’t defend him anymore,” said Ari Fleischer, a former White House press secretary for George W Bush and a GOP strategist who voted for Trump. “I won't defend him for stirring the pot that incited the mob. He's on his own.”

When the week began, Trump was without question the most dominant political force in Republican politics and a 2024 kingmaker, if not the GOP’s next presidential nominee himself. On Friday, there was a growing sense that he was forever tarnished – and may be forced from office before his term expires in 12 days.

Absent a resignation, calls for a second impeachment on Capitol Hill grew louder on Friday (Saturday, NZT). House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Congress would proceed with impeachment proceedings unless Trump leaves office “imminently and willingly”.

President-elect Joe Biden isn't putting his weight behind the effort yet, suggesting there's not enough time between now and his January 20 inauguration to pursue impeachment or any other constitutional remedy.

“I am focused now, on us taking control as president and vice president, on the 20th and getting our agenda moving as quickly as we can,” Biden told reporters.

Trump still has supporters, especially among the many rank-and-file Republican voters and conservative activists beyond Washington.

On Thursday morning, there was loud applause and shouts of “We love you!” when Trump phoned into a breakfast meeting of the Republican National Committee in Florida.

“The vast majority of the committee is in full denial,” said Republican National Committee member Bill Palatucci, of New Jersey, who attended the breakfast. “They’re willing to condemn the violence, but without any reference to the president’s role in any of it."

The president insists he did nothing wrong. He continues to tell aides, privately at least, that the election was stolen from him. Republican officials in critical battleground states, his recently departed attorney general and a series of judges – including those appointed by Trump – have rejected those claims as meritless.

Trump had to be convinced to record the video released Thursday night in which he finally condemned the rioters and acknowledged his November defeat for the first time, while initially pushing back at the prospect of speaking negatively of “my people”.

He ultimately agreed to record the video after White House counsel Pat Cipollone warned that he could face legal jeopardy for inciting the riot. Others, including chief of staff Mark Meadows and his daughter Ivanka Trump, urged Trump to send out a message that may quell the talk of his forcible ouster from office, either by impeachment or constitutional procedures outlined in the 25th Amendment.

And while Trump acknowledged in the video that a new administration would take over on January 20, he also said Friday that he would not attend Biden’s inauguration. That makes Trump the first outgoing president since Andrew Johnson 152 years ago to skip the swearing-in of his successor.

Trump has no plans to disappear from the political debate once he leaves office, according to aides who believe he remains wildly popular among the Republican rank-and-file.

Lest there be any doubt, Trump’s false claims about voter fraud in his November loss resonated with hundreds of thousands of Republican voters in Georgia's Senate runoff elections this week. About 7 in 10 agreed with his false assertion that Biden was not the legitimately elected president, according to AP VoteCast, a survey of more than 3700 voters.

Leading Republican pollster Frank Luntz has had extensive conversations with grassroots voters and Republican officials about Trump's standing since the siege.

“The professionals are running away from a sinking ship, but his own supporters have not abandoned him, and they actually want him to fight on,” Luntz said. “He’s become the voice of God for tens of millions of people, and they will follow him to the ends of the earth and off the cliff.”

And because of the voters' continued loyalty, elected officials in deep red areas must remain loyal to the outgoing president as well, even if his own Cabinet does not. In the hours after this week's riot, 147 Republicans in Congress still voted to reject Biden's victory, including eight senators.

The dramatic split in the party is reflected within the divergent paths adopted by the early slate of 2024 Republican presidential prospects.

Senators Josh Hawley, of Missouri, and Ted Cruz, of Texas, embraced Trump's calls to reject Biden's victory before and after the mob attack. Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton resisted Trump's wishes, drawing an angry tweet from the president earlier in the week.

Such attacks didn't carry as much weight at the end of the week as they once did given Trump’s weakened political state. On Thursday, Cotton chastised Republican colleagues like Hawley and Cruz, who had given voters “false hope” that Trump's November loss could be overturned.

Nikki Haley, who served as the US ambassador to the United Nations under Trump, tried to toe the line as she condemned Trump's actions this week during a closed-door meeting with the Republican National Committee.

She lauded some of Trump’s accomplishments but predicted that, “His actions since Election Day will be judged harshly by history."

Meanwhile, there is no clear path for the Republican Party without Trump. Speaking to reporters on Friday, even Biden raised concerns about the health of the GOP.

“We need a Republican Party,” Biden said, noting that he spoke with Republican Senator Mitt Romney, a leading Trump critic. “We need an opposition that’s principled and strong.”

Meanwhile, Trump has been plotting ways to retain his political clout once he moves from the White House to his Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago, later in the month.

Believing his supporters will stick with him no matter what, he has continued to discuss encouraging primary challenges against Republicans who haven't been sufficiently loyal to him.

And he has hinted publicly and privately that he will likely challenge Biden in a 2024 rematch, though losing his powerful Twitter account – which was permanently shut down by the company on Friday – could complicate his efforts to rule the Republican party by fear.

Doug Deason, a Texas-based donor who served on the Trump campaign's finance committee, said this week's events have done nothing to shake his confidence in the Republican president.

“He has been the best President in my lifetime, including Reagan,” Deason said.
This is another reason why an impeachment would be a good idea. It forces Republicans to choose between democracy and Trump, then tell us all which side they are on.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

President-elect Joe Biden isn't putting his weight behind the effort yet, suggesting there's not enough time between now and his January 20 inauguration to pursue impeachment or any other constitutional remedy.

“I am focused now, on us taking control as president and vice president, on the 20th and getting our agenda moving as quickly as we can,” Biden told reporters.
Biden has also said that matters of impeachment are for the Congress to decide, not him - which is true. I'm not painting Biden as a saint, but he's right and by not attacking Trump the way Trump would attack him he's taking the high road here. Also, Biden is correct - that is a matter for Congress, not the Executive Branch.

Frankly, if this splits the Republicans down the middle (more or less) and results in a new party or parties that might be best for the long term health of the country.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-09 04:09amBiden has also said that matters of impeachment are for the Congress to decide, not him - which is true. I'm not painting Biden as a saint, but he's right and by not attacking Trump the way Trump would attack him he's taking the high road here. Also, Biden is correct - that is a matter for Congress, not the Executive Branch.
I think it's a pathetic dodge by Biden. The legislature makes the decision, but everyone gets to have an opinion.

Given the importance of the whole thing, it would be good to hear Biden's opinions.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

This is something that we should not let the Republicans forget anytime soon. Any time they accuse the Democrats or the American Left or whatever of being radical, remind them of January 6th 2021 when hundreds of Right Wing rioters broke into the capitol to try to stop the machinery of American Democracy because it produced a result other than Trumpism. Tell them that among their ranks of these insurrectionists were individuals which carried Confederate Flags and other Far Right iconography and those that did not were more willing to side with these overt Racists than they did with Democrats or Republicans who were not willing to die on MAGA hill. Tell them that even if they disagree with Biden that doing so is the sort of thing if it succeeds is fundamentally corrosive to Public Order, Freedom and the Principles of Elected Government.

Don't let them downplay it. Don't let them shift the blame. Don't let them Whatabout about BLM or Secret Stalinists or anything like that. Don't settle for anything less than them denouncing that mob of Republican Trumptard Insurrectionists as being antithetical to the United States and that going forward they will be vigilant against such individuals among their ranks trying shit like this again going forward.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-01-09 08:21am
Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-09 04:09amBiden has also said that matters of impeachment are for the Congress to decide, not him - which is true. I'm not painting Biden as a saint, but he's right and by not attacking Trump the way Trump would attack him he's taking the high road here. Also, Biden is correct - that is a matter for Congress, not the Executive Branch.
I think it's a pathetic dodge by Biden. The legislature makes the decision, but everyone gets to have an opinion.

Given the importance of the whole thing, it would be good to hear Biden's opinions.
On the other hand, never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Trump is self-destructing just fine on his own.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Trumpists don't want to be "treated unfairly" - so don't: riot-armored police lines, tear gas & rubber bullets *before* the barricades are crossed, kneeling on necks, multiple fatal gunshots to the back because the officer "felt threatened", random unmarked vehicle street abductions far removed from the Federal buildings to be sweated for hours with no charges pressed or administrative or legal arrest protections. If they're anything like their Dear Leader, they'll say plenty to convict themselves.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination." - Thomas Sowell
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Khaat wrote: 2021-01-09 12:43pm Trumpists don't want to be "treated unfairly" - so don't: riot-armored police lines, tear gas & rubber bullets *before* the barricades are crossed, kneeling on necks, multiple fatal gunshots to the back because the officer "felt threatened", random unmarked vehicle street abductions far removed from the Federal buildings to be sweated for hours with no charges pressed or administrative or legal arrest protections. If they're anything like their Dear Leader, they'll say plenty to convict themselves.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination." - Thomas Sowell

I give you the unnamed woman now made famous for her truthfulness:
"This is not America!" a woman said to a small group, her voice shaking. "They're shooting at us. They're supposed to shoot the BLM, but they're shooting the patriots."

As for Trump not calling a Press Conference, it's not because he doesn't know how. It's because as soon as he steps to the podium, all the reporters are going to be hard-ball. He's not going to be able to hide, lie, or misdirect; they're gonna eat him alive. And he knows it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-01-09 08:21am

Biden has given his opinion of Trump in the past, it's no secret he loathes the man.

He's letting Congress do its thing - which is a refreshing change from a wannabe dictator - and as already noted he's letting Trump self-destruct in the public spotlight.

But I'm totally OK with agreeing to disagree.