Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 01:55am
Offline
Metroid
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-04 10:00pm
Posts: 7315
Location: San Francisco
EvilGrey wrote:
Infants lack sentience. Is that grounds to terminate them?
Strawman and red herring. I said nothing about infants, which are indeed sentient (albeit still underdeveloped). I also didn't say said you could kill feti just because they are non-sentient creatures; I was merely pointing out that your reasoning could be applied both ways.
Quote:
Dumbass :roll:
:finger: Go fuck yourself.
Quote:
If brain death determines the end of human life, the presence of neurological activity should determine its beginning; such activity begins at the 8th-10th week period of pregnancy. Abortion up to or beyond that point should be considered murder.
But they can't think at that point. If they can't think, they're not sentient and therefore not human. Significant brain activity doesn't start until later in the pregnancy. Otherwise, I agree with you.



Image
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 01:57am
Offline
Metroid
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-04 10:00pm
Posts: 7315
Location: San Francisco
EvilGrey wrote:
Thou shalt not murder. :)
"Do as I say, not as I do." What a great example to follow. Besides, that commandment's only #6.



Image
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:06am
Offline
Fundamentalist Moron

Joined: 2003-05-11 04:17am
Posts: 331
Darth Yoshi wrote:
EvilGrey wrote:
Infants lack sentience. Is that grounds to terminate them?
Strawman and red herring. I said nothing about infants, which are indeed sentient (albeit still underdeveloped). I also didn't say said you could kill feti just because they are non-sentient creatures; I was merely pointing out that your reasoning could be applied both ways.
Quote:
Dumbass :roll:
:finger: Go fuck yourself.
Quote:
If brain death determines the end of human life, the presence of neurological activity should determine its beginning; such activity begins at the 8th-10th week period of pregnancy. Abortion up to or beyond that point should be considered murder.
But they can't think at that point. If they can't think, they're not sentient and therefore not human. Significant brain activity doesn't start until later in the pregnancy. Otherwise, I agree with you.


Ahh, you're so quick to justify a most abhorrent practice aren't you? Coma patiensts cannot think, therefore they are not human and should be terminated. ;)

I love your twisted logic!

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:08am
Offline
Fundamentalist Moron

Joined: 2003-05-11 04:17am
Posts: 331
Darth Yoshi wrote:
EvilGrey wrote:
Thou shalt not murder. :)
"Do as I say, not as I do." What a great example to follow. Besides, that commandment's only #6.


Why do you have a problem with that? Why are you unable to grasp the irrefutable fact that God is sovereign? Is your brain underdeveloped or something, because it's just getting annoying at this point. :(

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:18am
Offline
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 11:49pm
Posts: 35422
Location: Passchendaele City, HAB
EvilGrey wrote:

Why do you have a problem with that? Why are you unable to grasp the irrefutable fact that God is sovereign? Is your brain underdeveloped or something, because it's just getting annoying at this point. :(


Are we sure this isn't a sockpuppet?



"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:23am
Offline
Fundamentalist Moron

Joined: 2003-05-11 04:17am
Posts: 331
Sea Skimmer wrote:
EvilGrey wrote:

Why do you have a problem with that? Why are you unable to grasp the irrefutable fact that God is sovereign? Is your brain underdeveloped or something, because it's just getting annoying at this point. :(


Are we sure this isn't a sockpuppet?


I'm amused how atheists are so bent on creating their own false conceptions of God and arguing against it than trying to refute the actual God of enlightened theism. :)

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:30am
Offline
Lex Animata
Lex Animata
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-02 11:36pm
Posts: 2629
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Sea Skimmer wrote:
Are we sure this isn't a sockpuppet?

Could be; it's an AOL user so it's impossible to localize thanks to their idiotic proxy scheme.

However, I suspect it's just some jackass yanking our chain. He used a Lycos account to sign up even though he's obviously an AOL user, which means he didn't want us to know his address. He's also flip-flopped repeatedly. At one point, he actually said that he was so glad to talk to us because we were so much more rational than a fundie board, and now he's back to spouting his fundie nonsense.

Moreover, NOBODY is that stupid. I've debated with enough fundies in the past to know that they don't act like this. They try to at least PRETEND to answer points, rather than simply ignoring them and mocking you for not recognizing the absolute truth. A fundie is generally out to convince you; it's his mission in life to convert others.

This guy, on the other hand, is clearly out to irritate us. His comments are needling, usually offensive, and often mind-bogglingly stupid as they tend to completely ignore points made in the previous post. He hurls generalizations left, right, and centre, with no conceivable purpose except to annoy us. They certainly aren't going to convert us. And his habit of adding smileys at the end of ALL his posts seems almost designed to annoy people, particularly when they usually come at the end of a generalized insult.

He makes no serious attempt to convince us of the truth of what he's saying; he simply states it as truth, refuses to debate points or address rebuttals in any way, and tells us that we're either evil or stupid for not agreeing with him. I think there's no way this guy is sincere; he just gets his kicks from pissing us off. If anything, he may even be an atheist with a warped sense of humour, like GrandAdmiralPrawn. It seems almost as if he's out to make Christians look bad.



For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

Image
"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy


Last edited by AdmiralKanos on 2003-05-25 02:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:31am
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2002-09-15 03:40pm
Posts: 872
Location: toronto, Canada
EvilGrey wrote:
zombie84 wrote:
atheism is not a belief, cult or philosophy. It is simply a lack of belief in supernatural deity. Atheism denotes nothing about a person's beliefs, lifestyle or morals, other than that they do not worship a god. When a child is born into the world, it has not been introduced to the idea of god and religion, and does not hold any religious belifes--therefor an unindoctrined child is an atheist as well. Atheism is not the denial of god, it is the absense of belief.


Atheism is the active belief that there is no God. Children are born neither theists nor atheists; they do not believe in God nor do they believe there is no God. :)


if you dont have a religious belief, you are by definition, an atheist. Atheism is the absense of a belief in god. When a child is born, he or she holds no religious beliefs because he or she is not aware of the concept of god or religion--therefore he or she is an atheist. You are right, when a child is born, he or she neither believes in a god nor denies a god's existance--he or she does not hold any religious beliefs. That is an atheist.
Atheism does not carry with it any sort of belief system, because by definition, it cannot have any. Atheism does not say whether or not a person is good or bad (though historically, most of the greatest minds of the human race have been atheists or agnostics, but that is irrelevant anyway). Atheism is not the denial of god, it is an absense of a belief. Rather than saying "i believe a god does not exist", the atheist says "i dont believe in a god".



I'll swallow your soul!

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:33am
Offline
Metroid
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-04 10:00pm
Posts: 7315
Location: San Francisco
EvilGrey wrote:
Darth Yoshi wrote:
EvilGrey wrote:
Thou shalt not murder. :)
"Do as I say, not as I do." What a great example to follow. Besides, that commandment's only #6.


Why do you have a problem with that? Why are you unable to grasp the irrefutable fact that God is sovereign? Is your brain underdeveloped or something, because it's just getting annoying at this point. :(
Simple. I prefer a leader who is not a hypocrite. It makes him far more trustworthy and makes it easier for me to follow him, since I don't have to worry about his sincerity. Why would you follow a leader who says don't kill and then turns around and murders children? You're bitching about abortions and saying God thinks it's wrong when he has done the same thing. Just because he's in charge he can act like a total shitstain? How does that make him any different than your example of Stalin? After all, since God's on top, he doesn't look to anybody for guidance, either.
Quote:
Ahh, you're so quick to justify a most abhorrent practice aren't you? Coma patiensts cannot think, therefore they are not human and should be terminated. :wink:

I love your twisted logic!
Red herring. Coma patients are unconscious, akin to falling asleep and never waking up. Up until a certain point during the pregnancy, feti can't even be considered to have gained consciousness yet.
Quote:
I'm amused how atheists are so bent on creating their own false conceptions of God and arguing against it than trying to refute the actual God of enlightened theism. :)
Oh yes, the Crusades were very enlightened. Kill women and children who had surrendered to you forces.



Image
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:39am
Offline
Fundamentalist Moron

Joined: 2003-05-11 04:17am
Posts: 331
Darth Yoshi wrote:
Simple. I prefer a leader who is not a hypocrite. It makes him far more trustworthy and makes it easier for me to follow him, since I don't have to worry about his sincerity. Why would you follow a leader who says don't kill and then turns around and murders children? You're bitching about abortions and saying God thinks it's wrong when he has done the same thing. Just because he's in charge he can act like a total shitstain? How does that make him any different than your example of Stalin? After all, since God's on top, he doesn't look to anybody for guidance, either.


I see, you wish to dismiss logic and reinvent God into what you want Him to be. I suppose objectivity must be quite displeasing to you. :)

Quote:
Red herring. Coma patients are unconscious, akin to falling asleep and never waking up. Up until a certain point during the pregnancy, feti can't even be considered to have gained consciousness yet.


How do you know? Have you concrete proof that a 12-week fetus is not conscious?

Quote:
Oh yes, the Crusades were very enlightened. Kill women and children who had surrendered to you forces.


What happened many centuries ago has no bearing on modern theism. :)

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:42am
Offline
Fundamentalist Moron

Joined: 2003-05-11 04:17am
Posts: 331
AdmiralKanos wrote:
Could be; it's an AOL user so it's impossible to localize thanks to their idiotic proxy scheme.

However, I suspect it's just some jackass yanking our chain. He used a Lycos account to sign up even though he's obviously an AOL user, which means he didn't want us to know his address. He's also flip-flopped repeatedly. At one point, he actually said that he was so glad to talk to us because we were so much more rational than a fundie board, and now he's back to spouting his fundie nonsense.

Moreover, NOBODY is that stupid. I've debated with enough fundies in the past to know that they don't act like this. They try to at least PRETEND to answer points, rather than simply ignoring them and mocking you for not recognizing the absolute truth. A fundie is generally out to convince you; it's his mission in life to convert others.

This guy, on the other hand, is clearly out to irritate us. His comments are needling, usually offensive, and often mind-bogglingly stupid as they tend to completely ignore points made in the previous post. He hurls generalizations left, right, and centre, with no conceivable purpose except to annoy us. They certainly aren't going to convert us. And his habit of adding smileys at the end of ALL his posts seems almost designed to annoy people, particularly when they usually come at the end of a generalized insult.

He makes no serious attempt to convince us of the truth of what he's saying; he simply states it as truth, refuses to debate points or address rebuttals in any way, and tells us that we're either evil or stupid for not agreeing with him. I think there's no way this guy is sincere; he just gets his kicks from pissing us off. If anything, he may even be an atheist with a warped sense of humour, like GrandAdmiralPrawn. It seems almost as if he's out to make Christians look bad.


I'm sorry you and most of the other posters here are not versed in basic logic. I can't do anything about it but be amused by their illogical, asinine responses. :)

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:47am
Offline
Space Cowboy
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-22 09:58pm
Posts: 17314
Location: Wishing I was in Athens, GA
Quote:
I'm sorry you and most of the other posters here are not versed in basic logic. I can't do anything about it but be amused by their illogical, asinine responses.


I'm surprised you read any responses at all, Stone Deaf.



Image

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:49am
Offline
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 11:49pm
Posts: 35422
Location: Passchendaele City, HAB
AdmiralKanos wrote:
Could be; it's an AOL user so it's impossible to localize thanks to their idiotic proxy scheme.

However, I suspect it's just some jackass yanking our chain. He used a Lycos account to sign up even though he's obviously an AOL user, which means he didn't want us to know his address.


Your probably. Most sock puppets don’t last this long. Still the I'm a moron Christian and my version of the word of god cannot be mistaken method of posting seems very sock puppet like, be it from a well known member or some moron banned months ago.



"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 07:46am
Offline
Master Control Program
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-04 09:53am
Posts: 7167
Location: Ottawa, Canada
You know, EvilGrey, this board has a very long line of tolerances. You can swear, proclaim anything you want - hell, someone could announce that he was sexually attracted to trees if he wanted to, and chances are he'd still be right at home.

But in a debate, you have to at some point attempt to JUSTIFY all your claims, otherwise people will think you're just trolling in order to get us all worked up, and you'll get banned for just being a flamebaiter (one of the tenets of this board is that you can piss in the pool, but you better have a damn good reason when people get in your face about it). If you wish to avoid eventually getting labeled and tossed, start slowing down and replying to posts with justifications of your claims, rather than just dismissing them wholesale and moving on to the next denial-without-rebuttal. Evidence is everything, and if your evidence is shown to be bollocks, admit defeat gracefully and move on.

I doubt anyone else will give you advice as good, kid, so re-think your battle plan if you want to be taken seriously.



Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 10:24am
Offline
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 06:11pm
Posts: 5755
Location: Canada
He still claims logic "proves God" but refuses to say how.



"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 01:21pm
Offline
All Seeing Eye
User avatar

Joined: 2002-10-12 02:52pm
Posts: 15774
Location: Gainesville, Florida, USA
Since he's just stirring shit up, can we just ban the fucker?



"You know what the problem with Hollywood is. They make shit. Unbelievable. Unremarkable. Shit." - Gabriel Shear, Swordfish

"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi in reply to an incredibly stupid post.

The Fifth Illuminatus Primus | Warsie | Skeptical Empiricist | Florida Gator | Sustainability Advocate | Libertarian Socialist |
Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:01pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-11-23 12:02am
Posts: 18399
Location: Iowa
You seemed to miss this the first time I posted it, so answer me this time.

EvilGrey, tell me, how can there be a "cult of atheism" (your words) if atheism is not a religion?



Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 02:11pm
Offline
BANNED

Joined: 2003-05-23 08:54pm
Posts: 372
zombie84 wrote:
EvilGrey wrote:
zombie84 wrote:
atheism is not a belief, cult or philosophy. It is simply a lack of belief in supernatural deity. Atheism denotes nothing about a person's beliefs, lifestyle or morals, other than that they do not worship a god. When a child is born into the world, it has not been introduced to the idea of god and religion, and does not hold any religious belifes--therefor an unindoctrined child is an atheist as well. Atheism is not the denial of god, it is the absense of belief.


Atheism is the active belief that there is no God. Children are born neither theists nor atheists; they do not believe in God nor do they believe there is no God. :)


if you dont have a religious belief, you are by definition, an atheist. Atheism is the absense of a belief in god. When a child is born, he or she holds no religious beliefs because he or she is not aware of the concept of god or religion--therefore he or she is an atheist. You are right, when a child is born, he or she neither believes in a god nor denies a god's existance--he or she does not hold any religious beliefs. That is an atheist.
Atheism does not carry with it any sort of belief system, because by definition, it cannot have any. Atheism does not say whether or not a person is good or bad (though historically, most of the greatest minds of the human race have been atheists or agnostics, but that is irrelevant anyway). Atheism is not the denial of god, it is an absense of a belief. Rather than saying "i believe a god does not exist", the atheist says "i dont believe in a god".


Haha. Reminds me of that idiot fundie who actually tried to convince me that babies are born with faith. Merely because they call out to their mothers for food. I'd like to take this piece of shit and break his arms, and then have him summon his god to help him out.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 05:32pm
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 03:38am
Posts: 1383
Location: Boston, Ma., U.S.A.
AdmiralKanos wrote:
... It seems almost as if he's out to make Christians look bad.

--Holy sponges!!! That would be absolutetly brilliant!!! :twisted:



Nova Andromeda

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 06:45pm
Offline
What Kind of Username is That?

Joined: 2002-07-10 08:53pm
Posts: 9254
Location: Back in PA
Illuminatus Primus wrote:
Since he's just stirring shit up, can we just ban the fucker?


He has been pretty aggrivating, and hasn't conceded anything, but I say unless he reduces himself to pointless flaming and threats, he shouldn't be banned. I say we give him an ultimatium of either agree to an honest debate, or be banned.



BotM: Just another monkey|HAB

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 07:17pm
Offline
Bile-Driven Hate Machine
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 06:26pm
Posts: 17927
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
<sigh>

We've done this all before. Anyone think I should just lock the thread?



Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 10:34pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-11-23 12:02am
Posts: 18399
Location: Iowa
Durandal wrote:
<sigh>

We've done this all before. Anyone think I should just lock the thread?


Could you please at least keep it open long enough for EvilGrey to answer my question? I really would like an answer to it. :)



Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 11:06pm
Offline
Moderator Emeritus
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-05 05:45pm
Posts: 8952
I think this evilgrey is some pathetic 14 year old who spends all his hours awake in front of the computer trying to stir up shit the best he can. He probably has no social life, and has and will not ever have sex. Not even with a Catholic priest. In a way, this idiot kind of reminds me of that Anti-Porn guy we found a few months back and made fun of endlessly. Sadly, I think the best part of evilgrey ran down the crack of his momma's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress.



The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 11:12pm
Offline
Pathetic Attention Whore

Joined: 2003-02-17 01:04pm
Posts: 5470
Location: Bat Country!
Back to the long since forgotten subject of the thread...

Those bastards need to be marinated in cow blood, be put in pork suits and be thrown into a large tank filled with chummy water and about 8 great whites...

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2003-05-25 11:13pm
Offline
Bile-Driven Hate Machine
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 06:26pm
Posts: 17927
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Durandal wrote:
<sigh>

We've done this all before. Anyone think I should just lock the thread?


Could you please at least keep it open long enough for EvilGrey to answer my question? I really would like an answer to it. :)


He's not going to answer, and if he does, it'll be some bullshit perversion of the truth anyway.



Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Haminal10 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group