Sorans gun Blaster?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Sorans gun Blaster?

Post by DarthPooky »

So I was watching chucks review of Star Trek Generations the other day and in the part were he captures Giorde were Riker and Worf come to rescue him. Soran uses his gun and chunk notes how the gun dose some pretty good damage and that got me thinking. Is Sorans gun a Blaster as in a Blaster from star wars. Not literally from the star wars galaxy but the same type of weapon that's just made in the Star Trek galaxy discuses.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Re: Sorans gun Blaster?

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Plasma bolts - so yeah. Trek has a number of plasma based weapons. I doubt it uses "tibia gas" or whatever it is in SW.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

do we really know how Soran's weapon worked besides "fires green bolts"?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Lord Revan wrote:do we really know how Soran's weapon worked besides "fires green bolts"?
Nothing canon. But clearly it explodes on impact, creates heat, light. Can tear through metal, rocks and people (Romulans).

It's either a disruptor or plasma weapon - both are very common. They got into a fire fight on the station at some stage - there's disruptor sigs all over the place. Though that *could* have been the Romulans. A "Type 4 disruptor" I think it was called. Riker says "Great that narrows it down... Romulan, Breen or Klingon".

But there were Romulans present and he was working with the Klingons so who knows.
NecronLord wrote:
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

It could also be an El-Aurian weapon; we know they were able to travel a greater distance than the Federation in a semi-measurable time, assuming it was their ships caught in the Nexus, and that they came from somewhere near system J-25, and they were more attractive to the borg than the entire federation ("They swarmed through our system" Guinan said of borg upon seeing a cube, perhaps speaking of a swarm of ships) and certainly they were spacefaring before humans, and Guinan had visited historical earth.

It seems probable that their weapons were advanced.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Well, they seem to live a really long time, so maybe their concept of how long they would consider a reasonable travel time for space travel is different. I don't recall seeing too much about Guinan's species in the show, and I've never seen ST Generations the whole way through. Still, the borg could have swarmed through at what would seem a slow pace to us.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

APlayerHater wrote:Well, they seem to live a really long time, so maybe their concept of how long they would consider a reasonable travel time for space travel is different. I don't recall seeing too much about Guinan's species in the show, and I've never seen ST Generations the whole way through. Still, the borg could have swarmed through at what would seem a slow pace to us.
When they swarmed a system in Voyager they sent hundreds of cubes... They took down a multi-system species with multiple colonies, bases and outposts in a matter of hours apparently.
NecronLord wrote:
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

The reason I fined Sorans notable is that most weapons in Star Trek I find work like Phasers in that they use the NDF effect and this one seems to be a more conventional DET weapon. I also seem to recall that weapons in Star Trek that are referred to as plasma weapons do the NDF effect how ever the only one I can think of is the V'ger blue ball of death. Am I right about this or am I just thinking about the guns in STO. That's also why I thought Sorans gun is notable as a more conventional DET weapon.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Klingon Disruptors generally don't, except in Star Trek III - it NDFed a Klingon at his console. Romulan disruptors also seem to NDF things away. So do Jem'Hadar, thinking about it.
NecronLord wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The thing about Soran's blaster that bugged me was how the barrel would tilt through 90 degrees prior to firing. I get that in theory it should mitigate some of the disadvantages of using a side-grip, but it still introduces an unecessary delay if you have to draw and fire it quickly.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

It is a very very odd design. Why have it move at all - just keep it in that position.
NecronLord wrote:
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:The thing about Soran's blaster that bugged me was how the barrel would tilt through 90 degrees prior to firing. I get that in theory it should mitigate some of the disadvantages of using a side-grip, but it still introduces an unecessary delay if you have to draw and fire it quickly.

It just makes it look "more advanced" - it's kind of like how action heroes seem to cock their guns after every shot. At least in the case of the Predator, it was an actual gun turret, so it made sense for it to move about.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Memory Alpha says Soran's weapon is just firing bolts of phaser energy.
The phaser used by Tolian Soran in 2371 fired concentrated bolts of phaser energy.
The weapon used by Soran was inconsistently identified as both a phaser and a disruptor in the script of Star Trek Generations, though it did fire similar blasts as the phaser rifles featured in subsequent films.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Khaat wrote:Memory Alpha says Soran's weapon is just firing bolts of phaser energy.
The phaser used by Tolian Soran in 2371 fired concentrated bolts of phaser energy.
The weapon used by Soran was inconsistently identified as both a phaser and a disruptor in the script of Star Trek Generations, though it did fire similar blasts as the phaser rifles featured in subsequent films.
Except the blasts were definitely bright green and were bolts as opposed to beams, so certainly closer to a disruptor than a phaser.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Color has reportedly something to do with frequency, but I mentioned "bolts of phaser energy", as did my source.
Memory Alpha wrote:The visual effect of the standard beam of a Starfleet hand phaser has been depicted in The Original Series sometimes as a red beam, in "The Changeling" for example, a blue beam in "The Galileo Seven", or a green beam such as in the "Wink of an Eye"; in some episodes there was no visual beam at all, only the impact on the target that gave off a blast of light such as in "Whom Gods Destroy". Later on, in TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds", it was established that the color of the beam depended on the resonance frequency the phaser was tuned on. From TNG onwards, Starfleet phaser beams were depicted almost exclusively as orange-red in color.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Phaser

If your sole qualifier is "bolt" to make it a disruptor, were Kirk and Spock firing disruptors in ST2009?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Khaat wrote:Color has reportedly something to do with frequency, but I mentioned "bolts of phaser energy", as did my source.
Memory Alpha wrote:The visual effect of the standard beam of a Starfleet hand phaser has been depicted in The Original Series sometimes as a red beam, in "The Changeling" for example, a blue beam in "The Galileo Seven", or a green beam such as in the "Wink of an Eye"; in some episodes there was no visual beam at all, only the impact on the target that gave off a blast of light such as in "Whom Gods Destroy". Later on, in TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds", it was established that the color of the beam depended on the resonance frequency the phaser was tuned on. From TNG onwards, Starfleet phaser beams were depicted almost exclusively as orange-red in color.

If your sole qualifier is "bolt" to make it a disruptor, were Kirk and Spock firing disruptors in ST2009?
I think it's less "bolt"="disruptor" and more that there's more times when disruptors were used in bolt form then phasers, so if a weapon fires a bolt it's more likely to be disruptor then a phaser.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Lord Revan wrote:I think it's less "bolt"="disruptor" and more that there's more times when disruptors were used in bolt form then phasers, so if a weapon fires a bolt it's more likely to be disruptor then a phaser.
So... confirmation bias? More "bolt"≈"disruptor"?

Transcripts/scripts I can find online don't help: one calls it a disruptor (http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Trek-Generations.html), the other calls it a phaser (http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie7.html). I don't think either is "legitimate".
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Conincidentally according to the New Frontier books there is such a thing as phase blaster. A primitive weapon pretty much like a low power star wars blaster. Only capable of kill setting style shots.

No evidence that Sorans gun is anyhing in particular as far as I know.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Khaat wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:I think it's less "bolt"="disruptor" and more that there's more times when disruptors were used in bolt form then phasers, so if a weapon fires a bolt it's more likely to be disruptor then a phaser.
So... confirmation bias? More "bolt"≈"disruptor"?
Well it depends on the argument, if people arguing "disruptors fire typically green bolts, Soran's blaster fires a green bolt therefore it's a disruptor" that would confirmantion bias (as there's other reasons besides being a disruptor why Soran's gun would fire green bolts), but if the argument is "disruptors typically fire green bolts and phasers don't, Soran's gun fires green bolts, therefore it's more likely that Soran's gun is a disruptor then a phaser" that's not confirmation bias as it doesn't totally disgard the possibility that Soran's gun is phaser just says it's not as likely as it being a disruptor.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Lord Revan wrote: ... there's more times when disruptors were used in bolt form then phasers, so if a weapon fires a bolt it's more likely to be disruptor then a phaser.
My emphasis... the qualifier takes it the step away I was missing. Grazie!
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

"disruptors typically fire green bolts and phasers don't, Soran's gun fires green bolts, therefore it's more likely that Soran's gun is a disruptor then a phaser"
^This :mrgreen:
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

tbh the way it "punches" through stuff (no NDF effect - it appears to be DET) I'd just say it's a plasma gun v0v
NecronLord wrote:
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

The behind-the-scenes book The Continuing Mission refers to it as a disruptor, for what that's worth.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

Khaat wrote:Color has reportedly something to do with frequency, but I mentioned "bolts of phaser energy", as did my source.

Or in 1987? (TVH features 'bolt' phasers, as well.)
Maximum effort!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Axton wrote:
Or in 1987? (TVH features 'bolt' phasers, as well.)
There was no phaser fire at all in TVH. You may be thinking of The search For Spock. Or the Undiscovered Country.

Or phaser rifles from TNG movies and occassionally Voyager. Lots of phasers have fired pulses.