ZOMG the E-D can drill a 3000km hole in 19 seconds!!!!!!!!!!

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Re: ZOMG the E-D can drill a 3000km hole in 19 seconds!!!!!!

Post by Serafina »

Perhaps but how do you think a parent or a family member of a retarded child would feel about you using such slurs?. I will go no farther regarding that line of thought but the fact is that every time you use a slur like that anybody reading it can be effected.
Honestly?
I think that's their problem. I do not address them, i mean no offense to them.
By that logic, you can censor anything because someone might read it and be offended.
If the topic is actually likely or known to be read by such people, i would consider that otherwise.
In regards to greed or arrogance you do have a point as long as it is not done because of some sort of mental illness but how is a child responsible for being born retarded?.
It is not. That's my point - do not insult someone for who he is. (or she in my case, but i don't want to clutter this).
Nor can they and its not their fault either.
Yes - why do you think i think otherwise?
Your supporters seem to be and i certainly was and i made you aware of my dislike and distaste from the start, you mearly ignored and increased your usage. Now i would have thought that somebody who wants and il say certainly deserves considerable empathy and respect from others would get more by showing more.

Insults, aggression and abuse will in most cases begat insults, aggression and abuse.
Maybe so, but they are often justified. I find that they are quite effective at trollhunting, given that such people are more likely to be drawn into such a spiral.
They were supposed to be, while i prefer not to resort to foul language personally and due to the board rules am also bound to not do so. But as i have told you i am far from the retard that you call me and i can find and exploit a chink in most armour as well as stay within the bounds of the boards rules.
Ah, so you willingly violated the spirit of the law.
In my opinion, thats always the problem with miss-manners rules: People are actually not more polite.
They might not use foul language, but they can result regardless. And they can also lie, cheat, ignore arguments and the likes.
That's why such rules do not actually work in heated discussions, while they are unnecessary outside of them.
They were tailored towards the mentally handicapped in the past that is why they exist but unlike you in your situation the mentally handicapped are not as capable of defending themselves as well as you are so the usage has become more acceptable to some.
That might be so, but nowadays they are commonly used. That's what matters.
No my words were directly tailored to you and the very large target you showed me by mentioning your situation. If you are going to fight somebody physically or verbally you should never let em see you bleed and certainly not let them see where you are bleeding from.
Listen:
My insults were directed at you, yet you claim that others might be offended as well.
You say your insults were directed at me, but others might be offended as well.

By your logic, they are the exact same thing. If you figure in the fact that stupid, retard etc. are normal insults while yours are specific to transgendered people, it tips the balance.

Accept it?, of course i accept it i put considerable thought and effort into it at the time to make sure i broke none of my forums rules about foul language, politeness and accuracy while making it as upsetting to you as possible.
I already pointed out that that still violated the spirit of the rule.
Now i am neither proud or ashamed of what i did or how i did it considering my feelings regarding your many insults and my requests for them to stop prior to my retaliation but if we are both honest id say we have a new appreciation for each others positions regarding our respective insults because of the entire situation.
Well - to be honest, i do not see a lot of insight from you.
I get your points that you do not like such language, and i am willing to suspend it if we conduct a civil debate.
But you do not appear to get my points how your insults were crossing a line i did not cross with mine - and more importantly, that you should not do so in the future with others either.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Aah, Avocado is still trying nitpicks. Nothing to see here people, move along.
Aha, I do not have to be familiar with the term gender - or its possible translation into German as Geschlechtidentität - but at the same time I am too stupid if I do not understand the term gender as opposed to sex and it is my job to know (not only the common) meaning of the term gender.
Quite, if you do not UNDERSTAND it, then you are stupid - or bigoted.
See, i can engange in semantic nitpicking too.
And of course, international treaties (the declaration is not an international treaty) are suddenly German laws or are relevant for the question how the German legislator uses the term Geschlechtidentität or how a German lawyer has to be familiar with that term.
It refers to them.
And they might not be laws, but surely they are legal documents, using legal language?
On the bottom line, who does not know the difference between gender and sex or who does not know that gender can be translated to Geschlechtidentität is stupid.
Not knowing? A notable lack of knowledge.
Not understanding? Quite stupid.
Which accusation?
I have asked concret questions. I want to have an answer to these questions. I have not accused you of anything.

And what shall I admit? That I am not familiar with the term gender in its "second" meaning? Curios, I thought I have done it already.

What is it that you want?
:roll: Not even understanding your own words.
What do you expect? That there is a statistic telling us how many people understand that word? :roll:

Either way, the common definition notes the different usages of gender and it's distinction from sex (sex being one category/indicator for gender).
I still do not see what use such a scan could have, but here you have it.

It's not as if that changes anything.

You still do not believe me and think that you with your Mittlere Reife know it better than someone with an Abitur, four years academic studies, two years residency and not insignificant practical experiences.
Yeah, that's not even photoshopped, that looks like paint to me.
And i specifically asked you for using a sheet of paper or the like, NOT to use an image modification program - everyone can do that.
Of course, if you do it that way or someone can show me that this is NOT the result of such a program, i'll accept that.

Excuse me. I thought I have - as has Dr. Anke Eilers - talked about the Federal Constitution Court too. But obviously I was mistaken. I do not know how, bot somehow I must have talked about another thing.
Wooops, sorry, misquote.
Either way, you were obviously wrong about
Excuse me. It seems as I have misunderstood you when you wrote that: *snip*
Maybe I should improve my English. Because I'm still not able to see, where I could misunderstand you. But that's what must have happened if you are saying that you have never said that.
:roll:
I was obviously referring to the liquid parts of the mantle. Are you always that nitpicky?
I do not know, was it sarcasm?
But you are right - being honest is always good. I feel so relieved to be able to say what you want to hear. You can't believe it.
Wait, you do not know what sarcasm is? Sarkasmus?
Of course: I apologize for pretending to be a lawyer, to have made my Abitur, to have four years of academical studies and two years of residency as an education.
That's not what i am talking about, and you know it.
And of course I will change my mind about transsexuals. After you have provided so much convincing arguments, I only have to push a button and my mind about the relevance of sex and the significance of primary and secondary genitals and genome for the determination of sex is changed.
Do you look at people genitalia before you adress them?
Eh, you propably couldn't tell that i am a transwoman if you saw me on the street, unless i am having a bad day.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Aah, Avocado finally tried to play the 'I'm not a native speaker! Waah!' card. I wondered how long that would take.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

JediMasterSpock wrote:Much like "that's so gay" isn't tailored towards gays? I'll give you another example first and spell it out slowly.

"You run like a girl!" is in your sense a very generic insult. It's almost always used on boys. Harmless, right? Yet though it may be directed to Fred, Bob, and George, issuing that insult to a boy in front of Jane, Anna, or Erica gives them very direct cause to be offended: At the same time that insult puts down a specific boy, it's putting down all girls implicitly. Boys may also be offended on the girls' behalf. Mike, who coaches the girls' track team, is probably angrier than his student Jane about the crack, in fact. He has enough trouble with girls not thinking they're good enough to run track.
Seriously?
You think that a girl is offended by that?
We find it often quite amusing when such things are used as an insult.
When you say "that's so gay!!!" to complain about something unfair, it's implicitly putting down all gays. Gay people are at liberty to be offended regardless of where the comment is directed. People who aren't gay and sick of gay-bashing may be offended on behalf of their friends and relatives, or just on principle.
And that justifies his behavior how?
Oh, right, moral relativism :roll:
When you throw around "retarded" as an insult, you're vilifying about 2% of the general population. One of the more helpless 2% of the population, who are unlikely to have ever done you any personal harm. This is why it's quite false that "everyone uses them." Instead, it's considered quite offensive and impolite, and their friends, relatives, coaches, employers, et cetera may take very personal offence.
I would love to see you back that up with some statistics.
And at most, that applies to "retard" and perhaps "moron". Idiot, stupid etc. do not apply.

But it's nice that you show that you still try to defend "your people". Great insight right there, oh wise master vulcan.

Kor:
Many forums have rules regarding conduct and especially personal insults now perhaps we understand why.
And these rules often do not work very well. Especially not on forums where moderators fail to take action.
But do you not see that by using insults that essentially are about mental illnesses that you can hurt the innocent who have it or the family of those who have it?.
Do i use them against them? No, i do not.
I said that already, you continue to ignore it.
When Justification = disagreeing with you or your opinions the problem is not with them.
Given that several statements on your side of the debate were blatantly wrong and demonstrated to be so, i think it was quite justified.
That is one interpretation however if you do try to play the "law" card it will lead to how the "law" regards your status in regards to my usage of she/he titles.
I suppose the administrator of your board agreeing with me is quite strong evidence.
What matters is the fact that they can cause a lot of upset to parents or those who have family members suffering from such handicaps.
I do not direct them at them.
Honestly, by your logic you can hardly say anything - there's always someone who might be offended. Free speech doesn't seem to be a value to you.
Listen:
My insults were directed at you, yet you claim that others might be offended as well.
You say your insults were directed at me, but others might be offended as well.

By your logic, they are the exact same thing.
Correct.

Ah, so you admit that you essentially did the same thing as you accuse me of doing?
Hardly moral, now is it?
They were actually specifically designed for you, but they could be just as insulting used against a array of individuals like homosexuals, transexuals, cross dressers ect ect...less accurate due to them being developed for you in particular but still insulting.
I AM transsexual :roll:
I maintain a level of civility under most circumstances but that does not mean im ghandi or a verbal punching bag, when the limit is reached a appropreate reply in a civil manner will be developed and used.

If the board chooses to censor me because of simply using HE instead of SHE so be it but i had had enough of you.
Yes, we would. Attacking minorities is not acceptable.
Of course, you were already banned for a conduct of stupidity.
You will be supprised how doing so in our next potential discussion subject will gain you considerably more of what you request than demands and insults did and i mean that with the utmost respect for the effort you are making and without trying to be patronising in any way.
Oh, i will still DEMAND evidence. That's hardly an insult.
Have you considered that i do and did not care or had that intention at the time?. Insults are supposed to hurt that is their sole perpose and as such if i ever feel the need to use one i use the most effective one available on my enemy.
Yeah - but you could apologize afterwards.

Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

You should probably just shitcan this Serafina, it might have been salvageable with just Kor but now that WILGA is involved it'll just go round and round with semantics.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Aaron wrote:You should probably just shitcan this Serafina, it might have been salvageable with just Kor but now that WILGA is involved it'll just go round and round with semantics.
I'm considering to do just that, until one of them (or another one) comes up with an actual argument.

Arguing against bigots like AVOCADO is pointless anyway, and i have made all possible points.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Serafina wrote:
Aaron wrote:You should probably just shitcan this Serafina, it might have been salvageable with just Kor but now that WILGA is involved it'll just go round and round with semantics.
I'm considering to do just that, until one of them (or another one) comes up with an actual argument.
You don't seriously EXPECT that do you.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Eh, screw this, i'm bored.
Why?
Why do I have to be stupid because I did not understand the term gender as opposed to sex before you pointed out that there is a difference?
I mean, you have not even explained the difference. You only said that I have to bee too stupid to understand the term gender as opposed to sex. Only then I found out what the difference is, that there is a "second" meaning of gender and that while in ordinary speech it is used interchangeably with "sex" to denote the condition of being male or female, in the social sciences it refers specifically to socially constructed and institutionalized differences such as gender roles. Stupid means lacking intelligence or common sense.
Now, how can that be stupid?
So you tell me that you are even too lazy to find a proper definition? Even tough i linked it? :roll:
And if something is explaind to you and you do not understand it, you either do not want to or can not understand it.
The latter is indeed indication of lacking intelligence.

Either way, gender is all about identity.
Most small-minded people (like you) see only two gender categories and think they are defined by biological sex only.
That's of course quite simple-minded - given that it suits only normal, stereotypical heterosexual men and woman.
It should be obvious that this is far more complicated.
Any yet it is no German law or legal document. It is not written by a German authority. Does that changes the fact that - as it seems - the German legislator has never used this term and that this term is not used in German legal language at all?
It still refers to international treaties. Have you looked into them?

Even the wikipedia link to which you have linked explains it:
In English, both 'sex' and 'gender' can be used in contexts where they could not be substituted — 'sexual intercourse', 'safe sex', 'sex worker', or on the other hand, 'grammatical gender'. [...] German [...] use the same word, [...] Geschlecht [...], to refer not only to biological sex, but social differences as well, making a distinction between biological 'sex' and 'gender' identity difficult. In some contexts, German has adopted the English loanword Gender to achieve this distinction. Sometimes Geschlechtsidentität is used for 'gender' (although it literally means 'gender identity') and Geschlecht for 'sex'. More common is the use of modifiers: biologisches Geschlecht for 'biological sex', Geschlechtsidentität for 'gender identity' and Geschlechtsrolle for 'gender role', and so on.
Althoug it is only Wikipedia, it describes the problem very well. But of course, the Geman language is quite stupid for not having a special term for gender in its "second" meaning.
Yeah, that's a fallacy which name escapes me right now.
Either way, "sex" as in "fucking someone" is a different word than "sex" as in "biological sex"
Gender is mostly about gender identity, unless used in a grammatical context. Hence, "Geschlecht" is more akin to "biological sex" and "Geschlechtsidentität" to "gender".
If you claim that a large number of native-English-speakers do know that the term gender has a "second" meaning, you should try to convince me. It's your claim after all.

That does not mean that you have to provide elaborated statistics. I'm not as absurd as Wyrm.

But when even the Wikipedia article to which you have linked says that there is a common meaning and a meaning that is only used in social sciences, I expect you to substantiate your claim.
Given that gender is widely used in social science, i would expect that a person with knowledge about them knows its meaning.
That's enough proof, since we are effectively discussing an area of social science - hence i can expect the participants to be educated in them.

See, I knew you would not accept it. I mean there is no qualitative difference in its conclusiveness if it is scanned and parts of it blacked with a modification program or if a sheet of paper is covering what was blacked. Only that the first is easier to do. That's why I will not scan it again with sheets of paper stuck to it. It would change nothing anyway. Even if I could convince you to be a lawyer, you would still believe that you with your Mittlere Reife know it better than me. So what?
Everyone can find a scan of such a document on the web and then use paint to put his name on it.
That's why i asked for something where you could see that you possess the physical document.
The quotes you have not quoted are showing that you were obviously not. You argued that the mantle or at least mantle plumes are liquid from the core up to the crust and that it is possible to let plasma sink from empty magma chambers in the crust to the core through 3.000 km of liquid mantle rock in less than a few hours. That was your position, wasn't it?
Negative.
But since you never actually adressed the hot-spots, even if it WAS, my theory has still a sufficient mechanism.

I do know what sarcasm is. But as it seems that you have the sovereignty of interpretation about what I have said, I didn't want to infringe your competence.
You do not know what....sarcasm is? *facepalm*

See, now you are even dictating what I do know. To me it seemed that you doubted that I'm a lawyer. You even demanded a scan of my certificate. And even now you doubt it. Then explain me: What were you talking about.
Everyone could have done that.
And the apology i was talking about is about being a bigot, and the resulting personal attacks. Of course, given your later conduct, i doubt you will actually ever do so.

Obviously not. That's why a transvestite could be able to fool me.
We are talking about transsexuality, don't try any red herrings.

Insofar the appearance can fool me. But as soon as I know the sex, I tread a person accordingly unless I'm pretending something e.g. to play along with an act or to keep someone's true sex a secret to protect that someone.
Then you are a bigot who has no respect for a persons deepest wishes, even if expressed openly.
You already stated that a transwoman is already a man, even after she has undergone genital surgery. So fuck off.
Yes, I could tread you as if you were a woman. But as long as you do not really convince me, as long as I do not see you as a woman, it would be only an act.
That's the point, now is it bigot?
Why should i have to convince bigots like you to their personal satisfaction? Give me ONE good reason.
And until now you have done nothing to explain your situation to me or to explain why I should tread you like a woman. You have only said that you are a transwoman and wish to be treated as a woman. You have claimed that the gender is determined by brain and that I should know the difference between gender and sex. You have claimed that it is insulting to tread a transwoman like a man although a transwoman is treaded as a man even by authorities in Germany as long as not at least the name has changed. You have not explained why the gender and not the sex is supposed to be deciding if a person is to be treated as male or female although I have provided several examples in which a person is (even by authorities) treated accordingly to its sex unless certain requirements are fulfilled so that a court can decide that one has to be treated accordingly to the gender. You have called me a bigot. A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. But you have done nothing to change my opinion or prejudices or to promote your case in any way.
Well - let's pretend legalism is actually a valid moral view for a moment.
Then you have to accept that the german law uses gender instead of sex as the ultimate measurement. That's why i am allowed to change my legal papers.

Of course, legalism is NOT a valid morality.
Whether something is legal or not has no bearing on it's actual morality. Mostly, laws advocate things that are moral - but they do not make these things moral. Even in the absence of laws, there is still morality.
You use the law as a cheap excuse for your bigotry. And YES, you are a bigot - you violate a persons wishes based on not being convinced to your personal satisfaction.

To a tolerant person, it's quite simple:
Someone want's to be seen as a man/woman, and thus is addressed and treated accordingly.
To a bigot like you, they have to force you to do it (you admitted that you would only do it due to legal reasons). You have no respect for such a person - less respect than for a "normal" person.

So fuck off, bigot.

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I'll ignore most of AVOCADOS squeaming and will go straight to the point:
Your sex is male.
Your gender is female.
You wish to be treated as if you were female.
I have no problem if you live as if you were a female. I have no problem with you having a female name, wearing female clothes, marrying a male (or female if you are a homosexual transwoman), adopting children or using a surrogate mother.
But why should I ignore the fact that your sex is male only because it is your wish?
Why not? Why is it a problem for you?
The only "rational" explanation is that you are a bigot who does not WANT to treat me as female.
I have another opinion. I let you live as you want. I will never attack you for being a transwoman and have not the wish to do that. I have not done it in the whole thread. I have never claimed that you are perverse or disgusting or anything similar. I will tread you as I tread every other person. But I do not let you dictate to me what I have to think. You can try to convince me. But you haven't even attempted that yet. You have only cried that you feel insulted because I have addressed you as if you were a male because your sex is male.
Sound nice - except that you think that tolerance is somehow "forcing you" to think in a specific way.
Except that you evidently do not WANT to see me as female, as there is absolutely no reason to do so - because anything physically male is totally irrelevant right now (since there is no physical interaction), and most of it is not an issue in RL either. Even if it was, a tolerant person can look beyond that.

So, Avocado - what's the reason you do not want to see me as female?
You talk like you are relatively tolerant, but you still do not want to do so - so what's the reason?
Answer that, and i can answer the resulting questions.

Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

I see this is no longer about VS or anything else of interest to me, and I have better things to do on my day off. I'm off to play Dwarf Fortress now. ;)
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

See, my thinking, that is of course influenced by the language I have learned, does not allow such things. There would be paradoxes and contradictions.
So you admit that you are bigoted?

I do not want to pretend to think something I do not really think. I want to understand it. I have given already a few examples. If I ignore the sex and consider only the gender, in what a ward in prison should I put a transsexual? If I decide that I should treat someone as you you like a woman, I have to ignore the (justified) objections of women who don't want to have someone who still has male genitals in their ward. I would have to let you in a changing room for women, where mothers with their small girls are changing, I would have to ignore that they do not want to have a person with male genitals in their changing room. Regardless how tolerant I am, I can understand such a concern. But if I consider in my thinking only the sex, there are no problems at all. That's one practical problem with a very simple solution.
Honestly?
With the possible exception of prison, all these are easily solvable - and they show quite a lot of irrationality.
Essentially, you want to use a physical attribute of mine (or other transwomen) to discriminate against me.

Your solution is NOT a solution - instead of solving the problem, you discriminate against the minority.

Furthermore, these are only a few exceptional examples. Do you actually think a transwoman would change in a public room (before having her operation)? Heck, i don't even go swimming anymore, and i love swimming.
And even if - so what? Does it hurt anyone? Your notions are, essentially, prude.

And you may object that these examples are not relevant for the question how I should address you. But to me it is relevant because it is a question of thinking. I can not think only in certain circumstances of you as a woman and in other circumstances as a man. That's not how my mind works and I doubt that anyone's mind works that way. The only thing I could do - as long as I do not really think of you as a woman - is to pretend to think of you as a woman in certain circumstances. But that is not real.
Again, you admit that you are bigoted.
Honestly - your examples are pretty much made up. The number of transwomen in prison is neglibigle - and you are obviously not affected by the other example.
Furthermore - you again let out your prejudice that, as long as ANYTHING male remains, you do not see a transwoman as a woman. You even said that you would not do so after the operation!

But hey - try to be more flexible. How about this:
A Transwoman is like every other woman, but she has a few special medical needs.
That's it - not too complicated, now is it?
Ignoring the insults, you are saying that there are more than two genders. But we have only two sexes. Our grammar does only know three if you count neuter as a sex. It is at least a grammatical gender. What do I do with the next who is saying to be neither female nor male? If I ignore the sex and consider only the social gender, how could I address such a person? Mister and Miss wouldn't be possible. In what a ward in prison should I put such a person? In what a changing room should I let this person go?
Red herring and strawman.
Actually, i was saying that gender is not a singular thing - it consists of a multitude of different building blocks.
As an example, some behaviors are classified as male or female. Sexual orientation is part of it. And much more.

Essentially, there can be no objective, non-prejudiced way to determine ones gender - since it is about personal identity, the only way to learn about it is taking what the person says. Well, extensive psychoanalysis is another option - and surprise, i am required by law to do so.

Either way - if someone wants to be seen as female (or male), why not do so?
If someone actually wants to be seen that way, that person IS female (or male) - else, why do it?

Your question boils down to:
I do not want to see transwoman as female, because i focus entirely on a persons body.
I honestly have no idea how to dispell such gross intolerance, except to point out that it is wrong and that these differences can easily be ignored, if one chooses to do so.
If you do not do that, i can not help you - and you will remain a bigot.

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Oh, look, more excuses:
"My language is restricted, so it's totally not my fault that i am bigoted".
Ok, maybe a linguist or a psychologist would be better qualified to explain this.

They probably would be better qualified to understand it in the first place.

But there is something called linguistic relativity. This is the idea that differences in the way languages encode cultural and cognitive categories affect the way people think, so that speakers of different languages think and behave differently because of it.

This theory goes so far to say that that language determines thought that linguistic categories limits and determines cognitive categories.

This is what I tried to explain.

How I think about sex or gender is determined by my language.

My language does only know masculine, feminine and the neuter grammar gender.

Not always is the grammar gender determined by the biological and social notion of natural gender.

In the German language e.g. a man is masculine (der Mann) and a woman is feminine (die Frau), but while a boy is masculine (der Junge), a girl is neuter (das Mädchen).

But then there are the cases in which the grammar gender of an individual has to be determined.

And here is the simple question if it is determined by the biological gender or sex of that individual or by the social gender.
Doesn't work out.
My first language is german, too. What you are trying here is a cheap excuse, the human mind is not that inflexible.
You say it should not be determined by the biological gender or sex but by the social gender.

But this does not work.

The social genders can't be assigned to our three grammar genders, especially if there are more than three social genders.
Not reading what i write=fail
I said that i was talking about the building blocks of gender. Something can be made from dozens (or way more) of building blocks and still be one thing.

No member of a social gender can really know how members of another social gender are feeling.
To put it simply: No man really knows how a woman feels and no woman really knows how a man feels.
But it goes even further: No man really knows how another man feels and no woman really knows what another woman feels.
Sure, there is such thing like empathy.
But nobody really knows if what one feels when emphasizing with someone is the same the other is feeling.
And empathy is cross-gender.
A man can emphasize with a woman and a woman can emphasize with a man.
But that does not mean that the man really knows what the woman is feeling and the woman really knows what the man is feeling.
And in the end it is the same when a man thinks to know how another man feels or a woman thinks to know how another woman feels.
(contracted to safe space and readability)
What is your point here? How does that have anything to do with the current topic?
There are men who acting more like a stereotypical man and men who are acting like a stereotypical woman as there are woman who are acting more like a stereotypical woman and women who are acting more like a stereotypical man.
And not each man that acts more like a stereotypical woman wants to be a woman and not each woman who acts more like a stereotypical man wants to be a man.
If we now are saying that the feelings (to put it simple) are deciding for the gender, how can we be sure that men are men and women women or that there is such thing like a universal male social gender and a universal female social gender?
Because they define themselves as men/women?

Look, i also go by looks when i first meet someone. Note that this does NOT include primary/secondary sexual organs - or rather, it does, but i go by what is visible.
Either way, if i know that someone wants to be seen as a man/woman, i don't give a damn about looks - i simply throw that mental switch. And i'm hardly the only one to do so - and no, i am not talking about LGBT people here. In fact, i hardly have any contact to the LGBT community - most of my friends are "normal people" (so far as that exists). Of course, i know other transsexuals, but i meet them perhaps once a month.
We assuming it only because that's the way we are thinking due to our language.
How can you be sure that your social gender is a universal woman social gender and not a third social gender?
Because i feel that way?
Quit that "third gender"-thing. If you would understand gender theory properly, you would know that the third gender is a very distinctive in-between option. I do NOT want to be in-between - i do not want to live part male, part female (whether mixed or changing from time to time).
I suppose that was your drivel with the earlier "no one can tell whether you actually feel like a woman" drivel. Are you honestly trying to tell me that you have such an extreme lack of empathy? I'm not that apt at it (relatively), but i can determine whether someone feels like a man/woman quite well.
Are you sure that you do not only think that your social gender is that of a woman because your thinking prevents you to think (naturally) of a third gender?
You're arrogant, do you know that?
Not only do you speculate about my most inner feelings, but you also take a passing look at gender theory and Transsexuality - and your bigotry suddenly makes it a third gender.
I already told you - i want to live as a woman. How is that a third gender?
The German grammar is not able to adapt to such things. It knows only the three grammar genders masculine, feminine and the neuter.
The German language has developed that way because there are only two sexes: male and female.
And that's why in cases in which the grammar gender of an individual has to be determined, only the sex and not the social gender is deciding.
It was always that way and is ingrained in our language.
And as the German language has affected the thinking of all Germans, every common German thinks so.
Hey, guess what - the english language developed exactly the same way in that regard.
Besides - thinking is not that tightly restricted by language.
Some of these who know your sex may address you nevertheless as if you were a woman.
But I do not believe that they think of you as a woman.
Fuck off - are you that arrogant that you think you know what people you know nothing about think?

But hey, i guess there must be another reason that my ex-girlfriend tells me about "girl-stuff" about which she did not talk to me before - after i outed myself.
There must be another reason why one of my friends (who has a phobia of men for reasons i do not wish to discuss) can now let me into her personal space, which is still impossible for her with any male person.
And i suppose when one of my lesbian friends had a crush on me, she must have been lying for some reason. :roll:
That should be impossible and has nothing to do with bigotry.
They are merely pretending to think of you as a woman.
Why should it be impossible?
Oh, right - because it's totally impossible that you are bigoted, so everyone else must secretly think exactly like you do.
Guess what - they don't.
Ask yourself: Do you really believe that your parents are thinking of you as a woman?
Yes, they understand on a cognitive level that you are a transsexual and that your social gender is female.
They may respect your wish and address you as if you were a woman.
That may have become even a habit.
But do they really think of you as a woman?
Ah, trying to get an emotional advantage by aiming at a weak spot, are we?

Either way - they try. That's what counts. You - don't.
Does your mother, who has bathed you when you were a baby, remember how she has bathed her little girl or does she remember how she has bathed her little boy?
Impossible to tell, given that she is dead - but most likely the latter. So what - wouldn't prevent her from changing her view about me now, would it?

(And please to not rip apart what I have written into hundred different quotes but answer in a coherent way. That's how a debate is done anyway.
It's called point-by point debate. I quote your posts in their entirety (and announce it if i don't) and respond to each point accordingly.
And to be honest, I do no regard this any more as a debate where I want to win or to convince you of anything.
I merely try to explain you how I think and feel and are hoping that you write something that allows me to understand you better.
Your insults, accusations and staccato sentences are not conducive
You sound extremely bigoted, i do not take to that kindly. I am "merely" describing the way you sound.

Either way - here is a summary.
You are apparently not capable of correcting your view about someones gender once you have decided what it is. You base that on extremely shallow things such as primary/secondary sexual organs.
However, you do apparently not want to be a bigot. But instead of just trying to change your way of thinking, you try to justify it by various measures - law, etymology, gender theory and claiming that everyone thinks like you.

That's simply not the case. I have dozens (more if you count second-hand) of experiences that show that people ARE able to throw that mental switch. They don't just pretend, they genuinely treat me different now - as a woman.
Of course, i can't actually look into their mind, but i doubt they would be acting in such a sophisticated way.

I suppose you never actually met a transgendered person. You probably think that it is inevitable that you will perceive them as male. But tell me - if someone looks and acts female - don't you perceive her as female? What if there are inconsistencies (deep voice, beard shadow - all fixable, thank god) - but she genuinely tries to give a female impression?
It's really not hard. It doesn't require acting - you throw that mental switch, and the rest comes naturally.

Now, how can you learn to do that? Well - i don't know. Since i am "part of the problem", doing so is not hard for me, i suppose. I guess trying to have an open mind and not nagging yourself with questions is the way to do it. Don't ask "is she actually female" - just accept her with to be seen as one.

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Another point is that you seem to be fixated on the idea that the usage of a grammar gender says something about the recognition of your social gender and that someone who uses a masculine grammar wants to insult you.
But that is not true - at least not always.
It is, as I have tried to show: it is the way how we are thinking and it is only language.
For example, when I say that I go to the doctor (Ich gehe zum Arzt), does this not mean that my doctor is male.
When I say that I go to the coiffeur (Ich gehe zum Friseur) does this not mean that my coiffeur is male.
It is the way I'm speaking and even if my doctor were a woman or my coiffeur were a woman, I wouldn't change my way of speaking although I could say I'm going to my she-doctor (Ich gehe zu meiner Ärztin) or I'm going to my she-coiffeur (Ich gehe zu meiner Friseurin).
As in these examples the usage of a certain grammar says nothing about the sex nor the social gender of my doctor or my coiffeur, does the usage of the masculine grammar when addressing you says something about your social gender.
It is not supposed to be insulting.
It is only that the grammar gender is chosen considering your sex and not your social gender.
And this has something to do with using "he" or "she" when talking about someone - how?

Please, quit the red herrings. This has NOTHING to do with what we are talking about.
It's not like i am gendering everything (you know - writing he/she, men/woman, Arzt/Ärztin etc.)
In the cases above, you are talking in the standard neutral (mostly male) form because it's a default form, and the information about gender is simply irrelevant. You are not saying "ich gehe zu meinem Arzt/meiner Ärztin" (go visit my doctor) - there isn't even a female form to say "ich gehe zum Arzt".

But when you are talking to/about me, you DELIBERATELY switched to the male address in a case where you normally differentiate between the genders. Quit trying to find lame excuses for that, everyone who knows anything about the german language can see trough this one.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Aah. I see. More of the famous 'Me no native speaker' defense and 'Everybody else does it too' to top it off.
How did Opus put it? 'If two million penguins do a foolish thing, it still is a foolish thing'. (Or something to that effect)
Just because everyone around you thinks like you do doesn't mean you're not a bigot. It just means you're surrounded by more of them.

Is the 'part of the problem' in reference to something Avocado actually SAID (I'm afraid I generally didn't bother to read his part of the for want of a better word debate) or just his general stance implying there actually IS one?
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Batman wrote: Is the 'part of the problem' in reference to something Avocado actually SAID (I'm afraid I generally didn't bother to read his part of the for want of a better word debate) or just his general stance implying there actually IS one?
It's a snippy remark, displaying his likely view on the whole thing, while simultaneously referring to it being the core of the "discussion" (for lack of a better word).
But no, he did not say it.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Whew. Thanks. I was afraid I might actually have to READ his drivel.
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

I'm not about to wade through the previous seven hundred yottabytes of this argument, but I do feel compelled to put forth a comment.

If someone believes that there's nothing inherently wrong with being transgendered, that transgendered people are perfectly qualified to raise children and should be allowed to marry anyone they wish, called by whatever pronoun they prefer, and all-around given everything they're entitled to, then they're not bigoted.

This holds true in my opinion even if they consider a transgender woman to be a male, who is entitled to these things not because they're really a female but because they're a human being with the right to do or be called whatever they like.

(Assuming they genuinely believe that there's nothing wrong, etcetera. If someone in this thread is just acting like they do so that they can be a passive-aggressive douchebag about the whole thing, then I don't wish to appear to be sticking up for them.)

Mostly I'm thinking of that story from awhile back where a transgendered person became pregnant, and a bunch of sensationalist headlines trumpeted "PREGNANT MAN!" Look, I don't care who says what, it doesn't make one a bigot to grab the paper and go "What the... wait... oh that's not a 'pregnant man'. It's just a woman who went all transgender and grew a beard, then got pregnant. Okay for them I guess. Stupid misleading headlines."
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

DudeGuyMan wrote:If someone believes that there's nothing inherently wrong with being transgendered, that transgendered people are perfectly qualified to raise children and should be allowed to marry anyone they wish, called by whatever pronoun they prefer, and all-around given everything they're entitled to, then they're not bigoted.
Yes, if that's actually the case, that's fine.
Of course, there's still a slight degree of intolerance, buts ok if they actually behave like that.

Problem is, most of these people don't. Look at AVOCADO, he wants to forbid transwomen from going swimming just because it might offend someone. That's a mild example - pre-op transwomen rarely go swimming anyway - but people use exactly the same reasoning ("not really a woman") for all kinds of other purposes - such as not marrying, not adopting children, not being officially adressed as female etc.
That's why i am reacting like this - it's rare that people who do not accept transwomen as women do not want to implement the difference they perceive in some way - mostly by restricting rights.
This:
DudeGuyMan wrote:This holds true in my opinion even if they consider a transgender woman to be a male, who is entitled to these things not because they're really a female but because they're a human being with the right to do or be called whatever they like.
doesn't hold true all that often.
Mostly I'm thinking of that story from awhile back where a transgendered person became pregnant, and a bunch of sensationalist headlines trumpeted "PREGNANT MAN!" Look, I don't care who says what, it doesn't make one a bigot to grab the paper and go "What the... wait... oh that's not a 'pregnant man'. It's just a woman who went all transgender and grew a beard, then got pregnant. Okay for them I guess. Stupid misleading headlines."
Yeah, that's now what i am objecting to. That's like noting that i can't get pregnant ( :cry: ) - it's simply a fact (noting it might be rude depending on the situation and can be a sign of bigotry, but it's hardly proof of it or bad by itself).
What AVOCADO did/does is using my sex to attack my gender - he pretty much justified this with not being able to look beyond sex.

By the way, the thread has been split.
The title is....well, let's just say that i think its stupid.
Oh, and this demonstrates quite nicely why i think that it's stupid:
Mike DiCenso wrote:I think this a good point to point out to WILGA and Kor that they've been suckered into a silly sematics and trivialities battle with this Serafina person. Go back to discussing the original points or just put a stop to this thread all together.
-Mike
So, they have been "suckered into silly semantics" by me, eh?
Guess what - i didn't bring it up. I asked for being addressed as female when Kor started to address me as male. When he did not want to do that due to thinking that i was "faking", i pointed out that i am transgendered and showed that i am not faking. If i had been talking to tolerant persons, that would have been it.
But of course, Kor and AVOCADO had to harp on it - and i won't bigotry go unchallenged. I did not start this, and i am not the one who is intolerant (except of bigotry).

DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Yeah, that guy's a wanker. In everyday life I hold to a strict "Eh, who gives a crap?" policy. I'll call someone by whatever pronoun they want, and if their ass fills out their skirt nicely I'll probably take a glance when they walk away and not give it much thought.

I do have a question, though, since the topic is at hand.

What about athletics? I used to work with someone who had a female name and came to work every day dressed in female clothing with carefully done hair and makeup, but was built like a brick shithouse. Well over six feet tall, broad shoulders, muscles all around, not an ounce of fat. This was a very sincere transgender woman who also more physically powerful than the average man.

If she wished to participated in a gender-segregated sport, let's say boxing, against whom should she compete?
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

DudeGuyMan wrote: What about athletics? I used to work with someone who had a female name and came to work every day dressed in female clothing with carefully done hair and makeup, but was built like a brick shithouse. Well over six feet tall, broad shoulders, muscles all around, not an ounce of fat. This was a very sincere transgender woman who also more physically powerful than the average man.
Well - as long as she is not barred from competing, i'm fine with whatever.

But i'll try to give an answer anyway:
Generally, transistioning (for transwomen) pretty much eleminates most of the advantages of a male physique. Antiandrognes are not usefull for building up or maintaining muscle tissue. So there is generally not that much of an advantage.
Keep in mind that it is important to find a policy that works for all transgendered people. If you would say "in competetive sports, they should stick with their sex, else it's unfair" - then transmen will have an advantage compared to the women they compete with, since they take testosterone, with the normal results.
If you do it the other way round, it's actually better, since the performance of transwoman tends to drop quite seriously.

However, what i do not like is when people cry "if that's allowed, that's unfair towards normal (read: real) women"
Not only does that show that they do not see transwomen as real women - but they are also horribly uninformed and completely forget about transmen. And competetive sport (on an international level) is already unfair - if you are in the best 1%, genetics often decide a lot (the prime example are sprinters/runners).
So the question is: What would be the impact if transsexual people could compete with others of their gender (transwomen with transwomen, transmen with men)?
Propably not that much - there are not that many transsexuals who engage in professional sport, the total number of athletes would be very small. And any advantage they might have due to biology can not compete with a decade or so of professional training anway. So the only "danger" to biological women would be a handfull of transwomen worldwide who did professional sport all their live and did not get totally screwed in that regard by their transistion.

And there's the point: What would be bad about that?
In my oppinion - nothing.

The usual reply is that that would cause many male athletes to undergo a "sex change" - which is extremely unlikely, to say the least. The change is so big - they would literary give up their life, since it is incredibly hard to be lucky with the wrong social gender role (in other words: if you have a male gender and are forced to live female, you'll live miserably).
Furthermore, it's quite easy to check whether the change would actually be genuine - it takes quite a while, is accompanied by lot's and lot's of therapy and medical procedures - and diagnosing that someone lives with a wrong gender role is not that hard, especially when he was not born with it (like me or other transsexuals).

Summary:
Only a handfull of transwomen (and no transmen) could compete on an international scale (or a professional one in general). And athletes undergoing transistion just to be relatively better at sports is extremely unlikely and easily preventable.

Conclusion:
There is no reason to forbig transsexuals of competing with others of their gender (transwomen with biological women and vice versa).

Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

Hee hee. Jedi Master Spock thinks I embarassed myself. :roll:
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Holy....i guess AVOCADO wants to be annoying.
Look at that formattig!
What an ass.

Well, i will address and quote him regardless, he just made it more annoying.
"I am not bigoted because i say so! I support your rights!"
Yeah, sure, sounds nice.
Your actions in our "discussion" tell another story - as we will see right in your next paragraph.
And yet, if you ask Serafina, i'm a discriminating intolerant bigot of the worst kind.
Any why is that?

Because i say that, altough Serafinas (social) gender is that of a woman and gets recongnized by me as that, Serafinas sex is still that of a man and i think that the latter is deciding for the question how to address someone.
That's my point, yet. That's the reason i think you are a bigot.
Why?
Well, think about it - if sex is the defining criteria for something as trivial as addressing me - then what about other things?
You say that you do not care about other things - but i think that it is extremely unlikely that someone who uses sex as the defining criteria would not do so for more important criteria.
"Repeating the lingustic argument"
Ah, so you just repeat the statement that you are too inflexible to accept more than one meaning for one word or to adapt new ones. Nice apologetic bullshit right there.
Is that discriminating?

I do not think so. Because i treat a transwoman as i treat every other person. I choose the grammar gender according to their sex.
According to the Oxford english dictionary, discrimination is, if one makes an unjust distinction of different cetegories of people, especially on the grounds of race, sex or age.

The problem is that for Serafina it is not enough to be treated like ever other person is treated by me.

Serafina wants a special treatment. Altough i choose the grammar gender always accordingly to the sex of a person, i have to make an exception for Serafina, ignore my tough process and what i think is right and Serafinas sex and consider only her (social) gender.
:roll: Bigot.

Honestly - i have heard the EXACT same argument to discriminate against people with disabilities. Just swap "sex/gender" with "ability".
You are basically saying that you are too lazy to consider but the most superficial criteria. Yet more indication for being a bigot.

Oh, and quit trying to imply that this is just about me, bigot. This is about transsexuality and tolerance in general.
"Repeating the above, only with "intolerant" instead of "discriminating"
Is that bigoted?

I don't think so. Because i have a good comprehensible reason for my opinion.
And that's supposed to be an argument?
So had the Nazis, american-christian fundamentalists, white supremacist, gay-hating groups etc. etc.

You have not PRESENTED a good reason. Your reasoning is basically "i am too lazy to accept it". You try to justify that with all kind of semantic bullshit, but that's IT. There is no other reasoning from you.

The not totally unjustified problems of others may have with a transwoman who still has male genitalia in a changing room for women, in a hospital ward for women, in a prison ward for women or with transwomen participating in sex-segregated sport are irrelevant for Serafina.
They are irrelevant to the current discussion. It's as simple as that.
I also explained the "problem" with sports in another post slightly before that one.
I think the total ignorance not totally unjustifed problems problems of others makes Serafina inconsiderate.
How could i possibly be ignorant of these problemsprejudices when i must live with the possibilty that bigots like you throw them at me at any time?
Serafina wants that Serafinas interests are put above the interests of all others while she is not willing to considerate the predicament she is putting others in by making her demands.
Again - the EXACT same arguments were used for segregation and are used today in anti-gay propaganda.
"You have no right to kiss in public, my kids might ask me why those two men are kissing".

Do YOU actually consider the consequences of any of the above.
So what if i go into a female changing room pre-op (not that i did or would do that, mostly out of shame). What's going to happen?
So what if i compete with other females in sports? (explained in a post above)
So what if i am in a hospital room with another female?

You essentially want to segregate transsexuals, lest others might be uncomfortable. That's IT - uncomfortable.
No actual harm done at all.
And you are seriously trying to claim that you are not bigoted?

Ok, let's summarize this shittard.
Essentially, he is uncomfortable with the mere existence of transsexuals - they do not fit into his tiny mind where only male and female exist as totally seperate categories.
He knows it would be wrong (or look wrong) if he actually argued against me being myself - but god forbid if he actually has to deal with it!
He tries to not speak of himself being uncomfortable, but just because he doesn't do that he can't hide that he is.
This is also supported by him supporting better transitioning - that would make transsexuals less visible (of course, even not fully transitioned transwomen are often not easily identifiable as such - and even more so with transmen.).

Furthermore, he says that he uses sex as a criteria to decide with what gender pronouns he should address someone.
But at the same time, he claims that he ignores sex at every other opportunity and that it is a criteria ONLY for addressing someone. I seriously doubt his claim.

Bigot-classification: Gamma
Gamma-bigots are uncomfortable with a certain group of people, but try to suppress this. Unlike Alpha- or Beta-bigots, they do not admit that they are bigoted - which makes them hard to detect and dangerous in their own way. They think of them as tolerant people and can not accept that they might be bigoted. They usually say that that specific group demands too much or should be less publicly visible. They do not openly fight against that groups rights, but will support bigoted policies nonetheless.
While it is possible to reason with gamma-bigots, they have to recognize that they are bigoted first. After that, it is often necessary to dispel a large amount of prejudices.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

So where would you put someone who intellectually supports you having the right to be whatever gender you wish to be, with all the rights and abilities (as far as current medicine can provide) that entails, but still can't really understand that on an emotional level?
Because while Avocado is not only a moron (which I've known since I first talked to him) but a bigoted shithead too, and as much as it shames me to admit it, I share with him the inability to understand the 'Why'.
I'm NOT asking you to explain your reasons AGAIN (you've done that quite eloquently in this thread) and I absolutely can't fault your logic.
I'm just asking where you'd put me in the bigot spectrum, because, much as I hope I'd never ACT out of order on it, transgender people DO make me feel uncomfortable, or so I fear, I don't think I ever actually met any.
And no, you don't count. This is the internet. For all I know you're actually a Daxamite.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

And he's on with the insane formating - again.

Hey AVOCADO - that truly makes you look like an asshole who does not want that he gets quoted - in other words, is not interested in a discussion.
I would stop it, it makes you look rather foolish and is quite impolite.

Not that that will stop me.
I have the feeling that Serafina gets more and more unreasonable.
Now i even get compared with Nazis, american-christian fundamentalists, white supremacists, gay-hating groups etc. etc.
Yes, you are. Because you use stunningly similar rhetoric.
You are probably to educated to be such a stupid extremist (and your enviorment might not favor it), but the thinking patterns seem to be strikingly similar.
Serafina explicit confirms that it is her point that i am a discriminating intolerant bigot of the worst kind.
And that only because we disagree about "something as trivial as adressing" her.
Well, let's see:
You discriminate (make a difference) against transwoman based on something they can not influence (their sex).
You are intolerant of them in situations where you have no problem with biological women.
Combined, that looks quite bigoted to me.

And evidently, you ignored what i wrote - what a shocking surprise!
I explicity said that i longer see you as "a bigot of the worst kind" - moreover, i explained that your reluctance to use the correct address and the explanation you give is highly incompatible with your supposed open standing towards transsexuality. You evidently only tolerate the things you say you tolerate because they are not visible to you.
She still seems to think that how i address her defines her or that i use sex as the defining criteria of it.
Why should a bigots oppinion define me? Arrogance much?
Either way, you SAID that sex is the defining criteria when you address someone. You said that you see no good reason to change that for transwomen.
I asked how it can be that it is impossible to make that change for addressing someone (a trivial taks), but nor for deeper issues? Your lack of an answer indicates that it is not possible - that you make that distinction everywhere.
With that she still ignores of course that i have explicit said that this is not the case. The whole notion is stupid because i do not define anyone only over the sex. This is one not unimportant criteria. But it is not the only one. If it were, i would only know men and women instead of individuals.
You are contradicting yourself. You said that, when addressing someone, sex is the ONLY criteria and that you can't even imagine doing otherwise.
Explain how it is then possible to do so otherwise (when sorting someone into the male or female category) if you can't even do it for something as simple as addressing someone.
Then she tries to argue that my treatment of her equals the discrimination of disabled. But that both are totally reverse dilemmas fails her notice too.
No, i said that you arguments might as well be used for discriminating against disabled people.
I did not say that both are equal.
Serafina wants me to ignore the fact that she is transsexual. I shall ignore her sex and treat her as if she is a woman.
I am. Got a problem with that? Evidently yes.
Furthermore, i do not demand that you ignore that i am transsexual. Indeed, i want the opposite!
Don't get it? Don't worry, I'll explain it, it's quite simple.
You see - you should treat a disabled person like every other person, with the sole exception where their disability prevents this - say, choosing locations that are accessible to wheelchairs as an example.
Well, i basically want the same. I want to be treated like every other woman - except when there is actually a requirement not to do so. Thing is, you see that requirement where it isn't - and as with a disabled person, i am the one who decides where it applies. A disabled person could not want to be treated differently with tasks she can handle on her own, even if it is inconvenient to others - ignoring that wish would be quite the insult.
However, you think that you can choose what the proper way to treat me is. That's simply not true - you can't, because you are not me.
So, let's choose examples - why should you be able to bare me from a swimming bath? You claimed that it might inconvenience others - but so can a handicapped person who, say, takes three times as long when doing something.
Liberty ends when other people rights are affected - but to what degree? Obviously, the possiblity of being offended doesn't count - indeed, only provoked offence is treated that way.
So - where's your bloody problem?

Oh, and in case you question that this would ban me from the bath - i can't go into the mens changing room either, due to having breasts. Now, the men might be less likely to be offended - but why can you decide that?

The things where i do not want to be treated like a normal woman are incredibly simple - only in medical things, since these are irrevocable necessities.
Because Serafina does not only want that i ignore the fact that her sex and gender are not the same, she wants that i delete the knowledge of the fact from my brain.
Not true, and totally made up. I never made such an demand, i merely criticize that you take it as the most important criteria.
She argues e.g. that transwoman who still had no gender reassignment should be let into a woman changing room, into a woman hospital ward or a woman prison ward and that there wouldn't be any negative consequences.
That shows that she is not willing to consider the feelings of the woman who might be disturbed by such occurrence.
Here we go again. People might be offended. And again - so what?
I do not WANT do offend people, but do you seriously demand that i consider every little thing i ever do primarily based on whether people might be offended or not?
Because people might as well be offended when they just see me as a transwoman in public. By your logic, i should therefore stay out of public spaces. Or they might be offended when i marry another woman (or men, tough i am a lesbian) - therefore, i should not do it. And so on.

Furthermore, you still seem to think that gender reassignment surgery is an on/off switch. I know a plethora of transwoman who did not yet have GRS, but you won't notice unless you know (or specifically look). Now, what's better - putting her into a situation where it's made clear simply by her being there that she is different?
Put simply, the exact same problems you rant against (which you mostly made up) would occur when i (or other transwoman) are forced into male territory before her GRS.
Indeed, a nice anecdote - a while ago, i often got told that the toilet is not that way. The way i was headed was towards the male toilets, i got specifically sent to the others. This happened by a random collection of people - cleaning ladies or just people passing by. When that did not happen, i got very strange looks. Of course, now head automatically towards the womens room - and no one is offended.

Serafinas conclusion is that i want to segretage transsexuals. A nice strawman. Because saying that there is still the possiblity to let transwoman who still had no gender reassignment into a man changing room (etc.) The Transwoman might be disturbed now by the presence of men.
And they by my presence - for all they know, a woman just walked into their changing room. You are still thinking like genitalia are a huge, instant giveaway - you're obviously wrong.
But that is not very different from the situation if a homosexual is put into a changing room (etc).
Um...why?
Oh, right :roll: - because you're a bigot. Sorry, i forgot.
Now how are these situations possibly comparable? If a gay man walks into a changing room full of other men, the worst that can happen to him is that he get's aroused - but that is by no means guaranteed, given that there's more to arousal than just being in the presence of people of the gender you are attracted to.
Now, if i walk into a mens changing room, i AM embarrased and scared -and the men are most likely also embarrased. Automatically - because a woman doesn't go into a mens changing room.
As long as there is no place for homosexuals and transsexuals, every solution might violate someones sense of shame
. Quite. But i explained why this is inevitable when i use mens facilities, while it is not when i use womans facilities.
Furthermore, i think it's quite telling that you think there is no place for homosexuals :roll:
The question is, what is the lesser evil?
That's not your question, since you think you already have an answer to it. However, i showed that your answer is, plain and simple, wrong.

And my description of you as a gamma-bigot? I made it up on the spot, a bit of creativity.
Either way, it is NOT incompatible with what you wrote in the first paragraph.
Apparently, you like to think that you are a tolerant, open person - either do to your upbringing/education or your environment. That's why you have no problem with transsexuals (and apparently homosexuals as well :roll: ) - unless you have to interact with them, such as talking to them.

Now, i can understand if you feel uncomfortable. Thing is, you won't admit it. Therefore, you can't change it.
In my general experience, people who accept that they are uncomfortable with something can realize that it isn't actually that bad.
Anecdotal example: And old friend of mine was slightly homophobic and quite nervous after i told him about me being transsexual. That's not the case anymore - simply because he noticed that there isn't any reason to be uncomfortable.

Now, are you actually a bigot?
Unless you do not admit that you are uncomfortable with transsexuals due to your own "fault" and blame them instead, you are. The moment you do not do that anymore and are willing to try to change it, you are not anymore - then you are simply a nervous person.

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Batman wrote:So where would you put someone who intellectually supports you having the right to be whatever gender you wish to be, with all the rights and abilities (as far as current medicine can provide) that entails, but still can't really understand that on an emotional level?
Because while Avocado is not only a moron (which I've known since I first talked to him) but a bigoted shithead too, and as much as it shames me to admit it, I share with him the inability to understand the 'Why'.
I'm NOT asking you to explain your reasons AGAIN (you've done that quite eloquently in this thread) and I absolutely can't fault your logic.
I'm just asking where you'd put me in the bigot spectrum, because, much as I hope I'd never ACT out of order on it, transgender people DO make me feel uncomfortable, or so I fear, I don't think I ever actually met any.
And no, you don't count. This is the internet. For all I know you're actually a Daxamite.
I already explained that to AVOCADO in the post i just made, but let me reiterate it.

You are not (or i do not see you as one) a bigot for feeling uncomfortable around transsexuals.
The point is how you ACT.
Now, you have admitted that you never met a transsexual person - so your feelings are based on prejudice. That's not bad, that's normal - everyone has prejudices, it's only important that you recognize them as such instead of taking them as facts and trying to justify them.
AVOCADO does the latter. Apparently, you don't.
If you actually meet a transsexual person (well...ok, there are some weird cases - someone more like me), you might very well find that your prejudice doesn't apply, and you would no longer feel uncomfortable.
That's not going to happen if one already took the prejudice for a hard oppinion. That's why i am attacking AVOCADO.