SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

User avatar
Siege
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4108
Joined: 2004-12-11 12:35pm

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Siege » 2010-02-13 08:34pm

As it happens I am way ahead of you and do in fact have six active brigades of elite Fida'iyun under arms; each of these Hashshashin death commando brigades is worth three times their number in terms of expenditure. It's not 10-to-1 yet, but close enough for my tastes :).

(And yeah, I cleared it with the mods and everything. What can I say, I like my Herbert too!)
Image
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes

User avatar
loomer
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3208
Joined: 2005-11-20 07:57am
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by loomer » 2010-02-13 09:10pm

If we're removing infantry weapon research, does anyone mind if I convert all my prior investment in it to Army Tech, seeing as I've wasted nearly a hundred IBPs on what now seems like something with a complete and utter lack of return, all thanks to a damn rules change? The total combined would be up at 217.
"You're wonderful, and you're alive, and you deserve every little bit of happiness that the universe has to offer anyone, no matter who or what you like. Never forget that." - Achewood

User avatar
Steve
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9518
Joined: 2002-07-03 01:09pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Steve » 2010-02-13 09:17pm

You were at Army Tech 3? If you invested in army techs, then you may consider yourself at 4 on 1 January 1927.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Admin of SFD, Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

User avatar
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1984
Joined: 2006-11-09 08:54am
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Master_Baerne » 2010-02-13 09:25pm

Thanas wrote:By which time I expect you to field the Fedaykin....

I shall soon construct the Sardaukar division - and this time, we will not neglect the training. :lol:
You gentlemen can keep your Herbert, and I'll see if I can't seing a few brigades of Space Marines. This will, of course, require at least Army Tech 17, but it's a goal. :D
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon

User avatar
loomer
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3208
Joined: 2005-11-20 07:57am
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by loomer » 2010-02-13 09:26pm

Army Tech Two, been working up to AT3 since the beginning, but thanks. AT3'll let me free up some budget for more immediate wartime stuff.
"You're wonderful, and you're alive, and you deserve every little bit of happiness that the universe has to offer anyone, no matter who or what you like. Never forget that." - Achewood

User avatar
Steve
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9518
Joined: 2002-07-03 01:09pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Steve » 2010-02-13 09:56pm

Then you'll be at 3 on 1 January 1927 and if you invest 200 IBPs over the following eight quarters you can be to AT4 on 1 January 1929.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Admin of SFD, Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

User avatar
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 11834
Joined: 2006-05-15 10:36am
Location: At the Helm of the HAB Star Dreadnaught Star Fist

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor » 2010-02-13 10:57pm

Pfft. I shall raise an army of Adeptus Astartes. Ultramarines maybe? :lol:
Master_Baerne wrote:
Thanas wrote:By which time I expect you to field the Fedaykin....

I shall soon construct the Sardaukar division - and this time, we will not neglect the training. :lol:
You gentlemen can keep your Herbert, and I'll see if I can't seing a few brigades of Space Marines. This will, of course, require at least Army Tech 17, but it's a goal. :D
As the Basilleus of the Imperium Romanum, I find your claim pretensious and unRoman. Away with you, barbaros!
Image
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 30779
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Thanas » 2010-02-14 06:36am

^Fin, your build queue...you invested a total of 80 points per year for 20 IBPs...as did I, however to gain 20 IBPs one apparently needs 80 IBPs per quarter. So this means you and I both only get a +5 bonus.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 11834
Joined: 2006-05-15 10:36am
Location: At the Helm of the HAB Star Dreadnaught Star Fist

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor » 2010-02-14 06:55am

Thanas wrote:^Fin, your build queue...you invested a total of 80 points per year for 20 IBPs...as did I, however to gain 20 IBPs one apparently needs 80 IBPs per quarter. So this means you and I both only get a +5 bonus.
Actually, one must sum up all the investments.

Namely:

General Improvement: 20 points
Infrastructural Improvement: 20 points
Economic Improvement: 20 points
Industrial Improvement: 20 points

So that totals up to 80 points per quarter. Noting that I am also Inf+E+Ind = 15.
Image
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 30779
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Thanas » 2010-02-14 06:56am

Oh, I thought you were also improving your economy or infrastructure. Sorry.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
Steve
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9518
Joined: 2002-07-03 01:09pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Steve » 2010-02-14 09:39am

Uh, Fin, if you're already Econ and Infra 5, there's no actual reason to improve Economy and Infra.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Admin of SFD, Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

User avatar
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 11834
Joined: 2006-05-15 10:36am
Location: At the Helm of the HAB Star Dreadnaught Star Fist

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor » 2010-02-14 09:41am

Steve wrote:Uh, Fin, if you're already Econ and Infra 5, there's no actual reason to improve Economy and Infra.
Bah. If you all insist I'll lump it together.
Image
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia

User avatar
Steve
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9518
Joined: 2002-07-03 01:09pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Steve » 2010-02-14 09:44am

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Steve wrote:Uh, Fin, if you're already Econ and Infra 5, there's no actual reason to improve Economy and Infra.
Bah. If you all insist I'll lump it together.
What are you trying to do with the improvements? Just improve IBPs?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Admin of SFD, Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

User avatar
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 11834
Joined: 2006-05-15 10:36am
Location: At the Helm of the HAB Star Dreadnaught Star Fist

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor » 2010-02-14 10:04am

Steve wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Steve wrote:Uh, Fin, if you're already Econ and Infra 5, there's no actual reason to improve Economy and Infra.
Bah. If you all insist I'll lump it together.
What are you trying to do with the improvements? Just improve IBPs?
Being realistic. Wholistically speaking, one cannot improve one portion of the economy, while forsaking the other. So improved industry implies improved infrastructure to absorb the increase in capacity. But that means more money and thus the economy must churn out more money for such investments.
Image
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia

User avatar
Steve
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9518
Joined: 2002-07-03 01:09pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Steve » 2010-02-14 01:11pm

True. OTOH, consider that a year's worth of industrial investment brings back a return of only one quarter overall what one spent each quarter. Spend 80 IBPs for four quarters, get 20 IBPs overall at the end of them. Plausibly speaking, those 80 IBPs (actually 320 IBPs in overall count) would include the infrastructure and investment/economic improvements that are necessary to support the 20 new IBPs of capacity.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Admin of SFD, Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

User avatar
Siege
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4108
Joined: 2004-12-11 12:35pm

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Siege » 2010-02-14 02:13pm

The current rules concerning industrial and economic improvement are utterly asinine. I have at this point in time pumped 352 IBPs into improving my economy, only now to find out that even though I'll have reached the necessary 400 IBPs to boost my economy from 3 to 4 by year's end there's suddenly an inexplicable "three year wait time" for such a thing. This means that in order to get my measly +5% peacetime I have to wait another full game year. And the same is true for infrastructure too!

Yeah, thanks a lot for telling me that only now guys, after I just spent the better part of two years spending 200 IBPs a year on both economy and infrastructure. Thanks to that ridiculous ad-hoc decision I've just spent 50 points a quarter per upgrade where I should've been spending 17, i.e. 32 IBPs misspent each quarter. Times two, so 64 points a quarter that could've been spent on other things. That's two battle cruisers, twelve armoured brigades, or literally THOUSANDS of aircraft I could've built whilst still upgrading my infrastructure and economy at the side, and levelling them both up at exactly the same moment.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to just impose an arbitrary 3 year wait time for such improvements without even bothering to see if maybe that would throw a spanner in people's long-term planning?
Image
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes

User avatar
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Posts: 28920
Joined: 2002-07-06 06:34pm

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by MKSheppard » 2010-02-14 03:35pm

*hums the theme song for the Shroomato*
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944

User avatar
Steve
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9518
Joined: 2002-07-03 01:09pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Steve » 2010-02-14 05:44pm

Siege wrote:The current rules concerning industrial and economic improvement are utterly asinine. I have at this point in time pumped 352 IBPs into improving my economy, only now to find out that even though I'll have reached the necessary 400 IBPs to boost my economy from 3 to 4 by year's end there's suddenly an inexplicable "three year wait time" for such a thing. This means that in order to get my measly +5% peacetime I have to wait another full game year. And the same is true for infrastructure too!

Yeah, thanks a lot for telling me that only now guys, after I just spent the better part of two years spending 200 IBPs a year on both economy and infrastructure. Thanks to that ridiculous ad-hoc decision I've just spent 50 points a quarter per upgrade where I should've been spending 17, i.e. 32 IBPs misspent each quarter. Times two, so 64 points a quarter that could've been spent on other things. That's two battle cruisers, twelve armoured brigades, or literally THOUSANDS of aircraft I could've built whilst still upgrading my infrastructure and economy at the side, and levelling them both up at exactly the same moment.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to just impose an arbitrary 3 year wait time for such improvements without even bothering to see if maybe that would throw a spanner in people's long-term planning?
Fine. In your case and in all cases like your's, I'll let you make the boost early. But as of that boost the rules take effect, because otherwise it's a vast benefit to the players with the most IBPs to spend.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Admin of SFD, Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

User avatar
Raesene
Jedi Master
Posts: 1326
Joined: 2006-09-09 01:56pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Raesene » 2010-02-15 04:08am

Steve wrote:
Siege wrote:The current rules concerning industrial and economic improvement are utterly asinine. I have at this point in time pumped 352 IBPs into improving my economy, only now to find out that even though I'll have reached the necessary 400 IBPs to boost my economy from 3 to 4 by year's end there's suddenly an inexplicable "three year wait time" for such a thing. This means that in order to get my measly +5% peacetime I have to wait another full game year. And the same is true for infrastructure too!

Yeah, thanks a lot for telling me that only now guys, after I just spent the better part of two years spending 200 IBPs a year on both economy and infrastructure. Thanks to that ridiculous ad-hoc decision I've just spent 50 points a quarter per upgrade where I should've been spending 17, i.e. 32 IBPs misspent each quarter. Times two, so 64 points a quarter that could've been spent on other things. That's two battle cruisers, twelve armoured brigades, or literally THOUSANDS of aircraft I could've built whilst still upgrading my infrastructure and economy at the side, and levelling them both up at exactly the same moment.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to just impose an arbitrary 3 year wait time for such improvements without even bothering to see if maybe that would throw a spanner in people's long-term planning?
Fine. In your case and in all cases like your's, I'll let you make the boost early. But as of that boost the rules take effect, because otherwise it's a vast benefit to the players with the most IBPs to spend.
So my 20 pts/ quarter to inprove Econonomy, Infrastructure and reseach to improve Army and Air tech were points for nothing as all scores increase after three years anyway ? I must have missed a revised rules post in this 50-page thread.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer


User avatar
Steve
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9518
Joined: 2002-07-03 01:09pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Steve » 2010-02-15 08:50am

No, scores do not automatically go up after three years. However, if a player invested massive amounts of IBPs into it before we decided on A) IBP totals and B) minimum time to upgrade, I will permit them to apply their total to the required one and make the upgrade before the three year minimum once.

The formula for improving industry, economy, and infrastructure has already been added to the rules page on the wiki.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Admin of SFD, Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 30779
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Thanas » 2010-02-17 08:24am

My apologies for not writing a new storypost, my laptop keyboard got destroyed on monday by me dumping half a gallon of fruit juice on it.

I shall attempt to get a new post up this evening using a replacement.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
Steve
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9518
Joined: 2002-07-03 01:09pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Steve » 2010-02-17 10:27am

That sounds like an interesting story. :mrgreen:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Admin of SFD, Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 30779
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Thanas » 2010-02-17 10:34am

Turns out that the superstable bottle holder was not stable enough to withstand the impact of a 4kg book?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
Steve
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9518
Joined: 2002-07-03 01:09pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Steve » 2010-02-17 10:39am

I see. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Admin of SFD, Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

User avatar
Steve
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9518
Joined: 2002-07-03 01:09pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Steve » 2010-02-17 10:42am

I'm going to go with Thanas' suggestion; everyone has three research slots period, regardless of Economy score. Enjoy.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Admin of SFD, Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

Locked