Threw avay my microwave oven

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Pick
Sith Marauder
Posts: 3690
Joined: 2005-01-06 12:35am
Location: Oregon, the land of trees and rain!

Post by Pick » 2007-06-18 12:52pm

Oh, I use it pretty regularly. It's great for thawing frozen vegetables or naan, melting butter, popping popcorn, and rewarming food that has gone cold. It can also cook corn on the cob very nicely if you put the corn in a plastic bag first. The thing I use it most for, however, is warming drinks--milk and tea, usually. Unless you know how much milk and tea my family drinks, it doesn't sound like a lot, but it definitely is :P.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Image

User avatar
Rye
To Mega Therion
Posts: 12493
Joined: 2003-03-08 07:48am
Location: Uighur, please!

Post by Rye » 2007-06-18 01:05pm

I use ours pretty regularly. I mainly use it for thawing frozen veggie sausages or burgers and then fry them a bit to get the texture right. Cuts cooking time down massively if you do it right.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus

Eulogy
Jedi Knight
Posts: 938
Joined: 2007-04-28 10:23pm

Re: Threw avay my microwave oven

Post by Eulogy » 2007-06-18 01:15pm

Faram wrote:Okay, I just threw away my fully functional Microwave oven, because I newer used it and it was taking space in my kitchen.
How fucking wasteful. If you didn't want it, then you could at least have sold it or gave it away. :x

User avatar
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell
Posts: 5270
Joined: 2002-07-04 07:39am
Location: Fighting Polarbears

Re: Threw avay my microwave oven

Post by Faram » 2007-06-18 01:22pm

Eulogy wrote:How fucking wasteful. If you didn't want it, then you could at least have sold it or gave it away. :x
It cost me 300kr / $40us new, tried to give it away but noone needed one, as for sale to much hassle to little cash.

But id did put a note on it works fine, help your self where I left it. (the condo trashroom, the electronics box. On top of the box)
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus


Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius

User avatar
Rye
To Mega Therion
Posts: 12493
Joined: 2003-03-08 07:48am
Location: Uighur, please!

Post by Rye » 2007-06-18 01:32pm

Couldn't you just give it to the local hospice or something? I hate wasting stuff that still works.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus

User avatar
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell
Posts: 5270
Joined: 2002-07-04 07:39am
Location: Fighting Polarbears

Post by Faram » 2007-06-18 01:48pm

Rye wrote:Couldn't you just give it to the local hospice or something? I hate wasting stuff that still works.
And carry it all the way? Hell no.

Problem with modern life, easier and cheaper just to throw it away.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus


Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius

User avatar
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord
Posts: 12444
Joined: 2002-07-11 12:27am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by Edi » 2007-06-18 01:56pm

I use the microwave all the time, to heat leftovers from the day before, warm a mug of juice, melt butter and other such. We have the fancy type of one that has all sorts of automated cooking ad defrosting settings and a grill function, so cooking stuff in it is actually an option. But for real cooking we tend to use the real oven. It, like the rest of the stove, works on gas, and it does the job just fine so long as you don't try to make cookies or anything else that requires unifrom heat from both above and below.
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die

User avatar
Enigma
is a laughing fool.
Posts: 7723
Joined: 2003-04-30 10:24pm
Location: c nnyhjdyt yr 45

Post by Enigma » 2007-06-18 04:55pm

We constantly use the microwave for practically everything. My parents are on their third or fourth microwave.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!

User avatar
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde
Posts: 14566
Joined: 2002-09-18 01:06am
Location: Exiled in the Pale of Settlement.

Re: Threw avay my microwave oven

Post by The Duchess of Zeon » 2007-06-18 05:09pm

Faram wrote:Okay, I just threw away my fully functional Microwave oven, because I newer used it and it was taking space in my kitchen.

The last time it was used I heated some stuff that I can put in a regular owen and be done in 30-40 minutes or put it in the mico and be done in 7. But if I micro then it feels wrong, I dont get a crust on the food and I have to wait 5 minutes for the heat to spread through all food.

So do you use the microwave or is it a dust collector?
I don't use the oven at all unless absolutely necessary, as it is highly energy inefficient compared with a microwave, and efficiency = life in the coming world. You will sorely regret your choice to keep your old inefficient oven instead of a microwave oven.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.

User avatar
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell
Posts: 5270
Joined: 2002-07-04 07:39am
Location: Fighting Polarbears

Re: Threw avay my microwave oven

Post by Faram » 2007-06-18 05:33pm

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I don't use the oven at all unless absolutely necessary, as it is highly energy inefficient compared with a microwave, and efficiency = life in the coming world. You will sorely regret your choice to keep your old inefficient oven instead of a microwave oven.
Energy is plentiful, if we could just get rid of all the green lunies and go all out nuke power. I cannot understand what people have against nuclear power.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus


Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius

User avatar
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 70027
Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Threw avay my microwave oven

Post by Darth Wong » 2007-06-18 05:35pm

Faram wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I don't use the oven at all unless absolutely necessary, as it is highly energy inefficient compared with a microwave, and efficiency = life in the coming world. You will sorely regret your choice to keep your old inefficient oven instead of a microwave oven.
Energy is plentiful, if we could just get rid of all the green lunies and go all out nuke power. I cannot understand what people have against nuclear power.
Energy is plentiful. Cheap energy is not.
Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

User avatar
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell
Posts: 5270
Joined: 2002-07-04 07:39am
Location: Fighting Polarbears

Re: Threw avay my microwave oven

Post by Faram » 2007-06-18 05:40pm

Darth Wong wrote:Energy is plentiful. Cheap energy is not.
Perhaps, I dont know the rates in Canada. But one kWh is 0.77kr here or $0.11us

I can take the difference between a regular oven and a microvave, and I more than make up for it buy using a killswitch on my TV, WII, DVD and all other standbuy crap that goes in a modern home.

And I can always buy a new micro if the energy savings become a consern.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus


Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius

User avatar
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 70027
Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Threw avay my microwave oven

Post by Darth Wong » 2007-06-18 05:51pm

Faram wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Energy is plentiful. Cheap energy is not.
Perhaps, I dont know the rates in Canada. But one kWh is 0.77kr here or $0.11us
You're missing the point. Energy is fairly cheap now, but the cost of energy has been increasing for some time, and will continue to increase. In any case, it's unethical to waste energy for no reason.
Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

User avatar
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell
Posts: 5270
Joined: 2002-07-04 07:39am
Location: Fighting Polarbears

Re: Threw avay my microwave oven

Post by Faram » 2007-06-18 05:53pm

Darth Wong wrote:You're missing the point. Energy is fairly cheap now, but the cost of energy has been increasing for some time, and will continue to increase. In any case, it's unethical to waste energy for no reason.
Indeed, but I have a reason.

I do not like the way food comes out of a micro. I prefer it to be cooked in a regular oven.

And I am not a big user of energy.

This is my total usage in three years:

Click for image
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus


Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius

User avatar
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 70027
Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Threw avay my microwave oven

Post by Darth Wong » 2007-06-18 06:58pm

Faram wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:You're missing the point. Energy is fairly cheap now, but the cost of energy has been increasing for some time, and will continue to increase. In any case, it's unethical to waste energy for no reason.
Indeed, but I have a reason.

I do not like the way food comes out of a micro. I prefer it to be cooked in a regular oven.
Suppose someone said: "Indeed, but I have a reason to drive a huge SUV. I do not like the way it feels to drive in a regular car. I prefer driving a huge SUV." Would you find that logic similarly convincing? It's still unethical to use energy (especially 10x as much as you need to) just for some vague personal preference. And the difference between an SUV and a regular car is nowhere near as dramatic as the difference between a conventional oven and a microwave.
And I am not a big user of energy.
So you use roughly one third the electricity of the average US household. How large is your family?
Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

User avatar
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 13772
Joined: 2002-09-12 12:47am
Location: OREGON
Contact:

Post by Uraniun235 » 2007-06-18 07:59pm

We use the microwave a lot, so much so that when it broke and had to be repaired, it was a big inconvenience living without it for a couple of weeks. Usually used for reheating leftovers, but it also does a wonderful job of cooking vegetables and potatoes.

We cook most of our food on the electric range, which is admittedly probably less efficient.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
Image
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk

User avatar
fusion
Jedi Knight
Posts: 608
Joined: 2006-03-28 10:35pm
Location: Capital System, Mid-Childa

Post by fusion » 2007-06-18 08:07pm

Bread, that is a microwave is good for. I really like microwaved bread just for some reason.
However, the microwave is good for practically everything. In China they use their microwaves a lot due to the fact that energy is more expensive there. Over there, I had fish, steak, fries, rice (because the rice cooker was broken), and much more.

However I still think a wok is the best (of course that is the advantage of owning a Chinese food restaurant :D ).

User avatar
Aeolus
Jedi Master
Posts: 1497
Joined: 2003-04-12 03:09am
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: Threw avay my microwave oven

Post by Aeolus » 2007-06-18 08:20pm

Faram wrote:Okay, I just threw away my fully functional Microwave oven, because I newer used it and it was taking space in my kitchen.

The last time it was used I heated some stuff that I can put in a regular owen and be done in 30-40 minutes or put it in the mico and be done in 7. But if I micro then it feels wrong, I dont get a crust on the food and I have to wait 5 minutes for the heat to spread through all food.

So do you use the microwave or is it a dust collector?
I can't imagine living without a microwave oven.
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;

rhoenix
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1910
Joined: 2006-04-22 07:52pm

Post by rhoenix » 2007-06-18 08:23pm

I quit using my microwave oven a few months ago, though it's been difficult at times to wean myself from it.

Pick
Sith Marauder
Posts: 3690
Joined: 2005-01-06 12:35am
Location: Oregon, the land of trees and rain!

Post by Pick » 2007-06-18 08:37pm

Oh yeah, microwaves help a lot in making baked potatoes. Can't imagine how long it would take without one.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Image

User avatar
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader
Posts: 14622
Joined: 2002-08-18 07:27pm
Location: YHM

Post by aerius » 2007-06-18 08:42pm

I don't know what I'd do without a microwave, defrosting & reheating food would really suck.
Image
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P

User avatar
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 70027
Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Post by Darth Wong » 2007-06-18 10:08pm

I actually have one of those microwave/convection oven things. It can microwave food, it can bake food, it can brown food, etc. Goddamned swiss army knife. But even if you use convection heating, it's still much more efficient than a normal oven because it circulates heated air and has a much smaller chamber, for more efficient heat transfer. The downside is that you can't put really big things in it.
Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

User avatar
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz
Posts: 29168
Joined: 2002-07-19 01:08am
Location: Sydney Australia

Post by Vympel » 2007-06-18 10:16pm

I worship the Magnetron God. I really have no problem with how microwaved food tastes, the difference is inconsequential to me.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/

User avatar
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage
Posts: 28367
Joined: 2002-07-03 04:48pm
Location: Somewhere between nowhere and everywhere
Contact:

Post by SirNitram » 2007-06-18 10:47pm

If the wiring in here could take the strain, I'd spring for one of those combination microwave-convection ovens. Sadly, it can't, so I don't.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter

User avatar
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 7233
Joined: 2002-09-03 06:43pm
Location: Mr. Five by Five

Post by Glocksman » 2007-06-18 11:07pm

SirNitram wrote:If the wiring in here could take the strain, I'd spring for one of those combination microwave-convection ovens. Sadly, it can't, so I don't.
Do you own your home?
If so, it's not all that hard to run a 20A line for a dedicated appliance outlet from the breaker box, especially if you have a basement and can mount the outlet on the floor above.

If not, you're SOL unless you can talk your landlord into doing the work.

As far as my microwave usage goes, I use the hell out of it because my local grocer constantly runs the 'Healthy Choice' frozen dinners on sale and I don't really like to cook just for myself.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant

Post Reply