Looking for Authors

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Looking for Authors

Post by HMS Sophia »

Calling All Writers!
Do you write Sci-fi/Fantasy/Alt literature? Are you struggling to find a publisher? Have you even thought about publishing at all?
Gorgon Press is looking for the best and brightest of amateur writers to submit work to a new online fiction magazine. Published monthly or bi-monthly, we hope to see plenty of interest in the finished work.
And yes, to make it clear, we would be paying the submitting authors. We're not that cheap here at GP.
If you're interested in submitting some of your work, or simply have any questions, get in touch with me. We'd love to hear from you.

Links:
Published work: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=4621
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gorgon-P ... 7542893895
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Re: Looking for Authors

Post by HMS Sophia »

I'm hoping that no-one minds me resurrecting, because we actually got this off the ground and just released the first issue :D
(I don't believe I'm allowed to share the link here)
Anyway, we are now looking for contributors for Issue 2 and we'd love anyone to get in touch.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Alright, I'll bite. What kind of stories are you looking for?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I do enjoy writing short stories, but they're mostly based off games I play, nothing original just yet (good practice though). But have a Like, free of charge! :D
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

How much are you paying and do you have any interest in zombie stories?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'm interested. I have several different stories I work on when the mood strikes me (so are all currently incomplete) but if I were getting paid I'd have motivation to finish them.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Heck, tell me what kind of stories your interested in and I'll take it as a writing assignment, why not?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Zaune wrote:Alright, I'll bite. What kind of stories are you looking for?
Anything alternative. Science Fiction, fantasy, steampunk, cyberpunk, horror, basically anything :)
Broomstick wrote:How much are you paying and do you have any interest in zombie stories?
Currently, we (I) offer 5% of anything received. No, it's not much, but between the hosting site taking 35% (there's a reason I really need to get my own website) and the other authors, it's around the best I can do. In future, we're hoping that we can pay a lump sum for each piece on a per word basis.
And yes, zombie stories are very, very welcome.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:I'm interested. I have several different stories I work on when the mood strikes me (so are all currently incomplete) but if I were getting paid I'd have motivation to finish them.
Trust me, I know how hard it is to find motivation :D

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

What rights do you buy? First publication or something more extensive?

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

What kind of length are you hoping for? Purely short fiction, or longer serialised stuff?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Broomstick wrote:What rights do you buy? First publication or something more extensive?
First publication with right to republication with all best efforts made to re-establish contact with the author in order to furnish with additional royalties.
In other words, I'd like to be able to use a work again in an anthology or collection, and will do my best to ask nicely and pay again.
Zaune wrote:What kind of length are you hoping for? Purely short fiction, or longer serialised stuff?
Up to around 3-5000 words. Serialised is welcome, we currently have two and possibly three in the magazine that are.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Okay, I can work with that. Anything else we should know, submission format and suchlike?

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Zaune wrote:Okay, I can work with that. Anything else we should know, submission format and suchlike?
A word doc is the best format for submission. And for submission, you'll want our email: gorgonpress@gmail.com

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

barnest2 wrote:
Broomstick wrote:What rights do you buy? First publication or something more extensive?
First publication with right to republication with all best efforts made to re-establish contact with the author in order to furnish with additional royalties.
In other words, I'd like to be able to use a work again in an anthology or collection, and will do my best to ask nicely and pay again.
Ah, but do I retain the right to republish my own work? Point me to the fine print.

(I do not sell to those who demand I fork over all rights, which is not what this sounds like, but I like to be sure)

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Oh, I see where you're coming from. The work is yours, your retain rights to republish etc etc. You can resell to another magazine, publication, whatever, this is not an exclusive deal.
One of our writers is published up to the 20th part or so online and is involved for the exposure and money :)

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, it's in your inbox.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Turns out I'm a massive jackass and gave out the wrong email adress. Thank you to Zaune for figuring that one.

Email is: gorgonpressuk@gmail.com

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

We've released a second one of these, featuring a locals work as well :D

http://www.drivethrufiction.com/product ... or-issue-2

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Oh, hell yeah!

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

And now we're out with the first edition on Amazon and everything:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M ... entries*=0

Kindle edition, hell yeah :D

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

That should help sales, which would be good for everyone involved.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I certainly hope so. Sales have been... less than stellar. And I'm not afraid to admit that. Gaining popularity is hard.

gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

If it's Okay with you I can advertise you on my (admittedly small) Facebook art group if it'll help. As well as several other places. Do you have a copy paste message with links and the like available so I can just copy it over?

Also I've been working on a few story ideas my self over the last few years but I haven't been able to get all the pieces together for it. If or hopefully when I do perhaps I might seek to utilize your publishing services. I may just end up completing the individual stories and publish them as shorts stories or maybe one offs.

NINJA EDIT: You also now have 101 likes.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, I've had positive feedback from two people I know (only one of whom bought the mag, but hey), and Chapter 2 should have reached you by now.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Keep at it. At least 100 people know of your efforts already, that's something. Build it up little by little and in a few months' time you could be selling hundreds of copies. :)
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)