The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Uncluttered
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty Up

Post by Uncluttered »

Nicknames for Angels and Deamons
Primitives
winged cave dwellers
superludds (for luddite)
birdbrains
spearchuckers
reds and whites = pinkos
This is my signature. Soon a fan-boy will use it for an ad hominem.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Uncluttered, you may not be aware, but 'spearchucker' has been (and in some places still is) a racial epithet for black people.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

A nickname would probably be something shorter and more simple, like calling them "Birdies".
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
westrim
Youngling

Post by westrim »

Uncluttered wrote:Nicknames for Angels and Deamons
Primitives
winged cave dwellers
superludds (for luddite)
birdbrains
spearchuckers
reds and whites = pinkos
1-3: incorrect descriptors
4: Look, we aren't looking for derogatory stuff, but things we might call a friend
5-6: um... :banghead:
Guardsman Bass wrote:A nickname would probably be something shorter and more simple, like calling them "Birdies".
Which I why I thought 'Wingers' would work. Easy to modify and add on to. Birdies won't work on account of the demonic leather wings.
SilverHawk
Youngling

Post by SilverHawk »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Uncluttered, you may not be aware, but 'spearchucker' has been (and in some places still is) a racial epithet for black people.
They still manage to keep beating my Tanks at the worst times! :lol:
If you are going through Hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill
Michelangelo is a Party Dude!

But see, we invite him over for dinner and then he goes, "I stole your Nuclear Secrets." Then nobody feels like having apple pie. - Myself, on Joseph Stalin
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

You think that's bad? A fifty foot dude with a spear once sank my battleship.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

What about Celestials and Infernals, or something to that effect? I think the two are sufficiently different that they'll at least develop different names rather than a single shared name.
Uncluttered
Padawan Learner

Post by Uncluttered »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Uncluttered, you may not be aware, but 'spearchucker' has been (and in some places still is) a racial epithet for black people.
I didn't know that. I only know about 1000 of the 100000 racial slurs that jackasses have invented.
Damn racists ruining things again. :banghead:
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Another possibility is just calling the buggers "Angies." :lol:

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Ilya Muromets wrote:Another possibility is just calling the buggers "Angies." :lol:
Actually, that's not a bad idea. It fits with "Russkies", "Brits", and a host of somewhat less pleasant terms that stem from nationality.
Uncluttered
Padawan Learner

Post by Uncluttered »

So a nice nickname for Angels and Demons then.

I'd probably look for something in their own dialect.

So. Going over the ol baby names book.

"Ozzi" for demons. It invokes Ozzi Osbourne and is hebrew for strong.
"Omet" for angels. It invokes Omet Zappa, and means "My light" in hebrew.

(status: flight cancelled, in Airport Hotel till tomorrow gonna be here all night)
yaque
Redshirt

Post by yaque »

but forming separate species(genus, actually) by the processes of evolution as known has not been observed
Actually, the formation of a new species has been observed several times:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciation

Genus level speciation, of course, would have to take a lot longer than humans have been around.

"Species" is a human definition anyway,
Nature does whatever she wants, and we scramble to paste our labels on her.
Check out "Ring Species":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Uncluttered wrote:So a nice nickname for Angels and Demons then.

I'd probably look for something in their own dialect.

So. Going over the ol baby names book.

"Ozzi" for demons. It invokes Ozzi Osbourne and is hebrew for strong.
"Omet" for angels. It invokes Omet Zappa, and means "My light" in hebrew.

(status: flight cancelled, in Airport Hotel till tomorrow gonna be here all night)
I guess a thought does hit me: While we're going to have a "gentle ribbing" nick for them, I do think we'll need a slur at some point. I suspect there's enough ill will going around that you're going to get some sort of human supremacist movement going (even if it's limited largely to Second Lifers and some equivalent to the Klan, I don't see this not arising...considering the suicide bombings that the ex-Hezbollah folks were willing to do in Jerusalem, I could see motives existing for retaliation attacks, at least among a small minority of the population), and even failing that, someone's going to come up with a version of the N-word.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Given angels' feathery wings and the urge to deride them, I'm guessing 'Ducks' will be the term. Just my guess.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
LionElJonson
Padawan Learner

Post by LionElJonson »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Given angels' feathery wings and the urge to deride them, I'm guessing 'Ducks' will be the term. Just my guess.
Nah. Pigeons. They're like flying rats.
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

LionElJonson wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Given angels' feathery wings and the urge to deride them, I'm guessing 'Ducks' will be the term. Just my guess.
Nah. Pigeons. They're like flying rats.
In Cuba, duck would actually be more derogatory. As in many other Spanish speaking countries. It conveys the idea of homosexuality.

When I started reading the post about the Wingers nickname, I inmediately thought about birdies. then I saw it has been proposed, but as we are seeking concensus... I like birdies.
Angies and Ozzies are good too.

And we DEFINITELY need derogatory for both races, or at least for angels. baldrick can become derogatory on its own, as was at the beginning.
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

yaque wrote:
but forming separate species(genus, actually) by the processes of evolution as known has not been observed
Actually, the formation of a new species has been observed several times:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciation

Genus level speciation, of course, would have to take a lot longer than humans have been around.

"Species" is a human definition anyway,
Nature does whatever she wants, and we scramble to paste our labels on her.
Check out "Ring Species":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species
you are right, I didn`t express myself properly. Of course speciation is known to occur. What I meant was that speciation does not account for a change of genus. No lizard has ever become a mammal by speciation, for example. the could become a different lizard, and that`s that.
which is why I kept the genus, but changed the family in the hierarchy, thus keeping the common ancestor, but separating caelis, daemonis and homo in different families, each with species,subespecies and probably races of its own.

Question: Would daemons have races, on top of species?
Question 2: Are angelic ranks like races, in that they convey definite physical differences (Other than size and power, which are not enough to separate as they are achievable through time)?
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

On regard to the second question, I would say no, as it has been seen that an angel can go from one rank to another.
Ruadhan2300
Youngling

Post by Ruadhan2300 »

I like "Duckie"
its got a nice slightly condescending air to it, without really being offensive.
"To the Rational mind, nothing is inexplicable, only unexplained"
Werrf
Youngling

Post by Werrf »

I quite liked "Superludds" - it's less about their innate characteristics as angels and demons, and more about how their crappy culture let us get the upper hand without even really trying :)
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Werrf wrote:I quite liked "Superludds" - it's less about their innate characteristics as angels and demons, and more about how their crappy culture let us get the upper hand without even really trying :)
it`s a little bit too long and doesn`t sound quite right, with the super and all... how about luddie? you know, since we are playing the "die" suffix...
duckie can work as well, although I differ it`s not derogatory... is very offensive.
nobody_really
Youngling

Post by nobody_really »

darksoul wrote:duckie can work as well, although I differ it`s not derogatory... is very offensive.
Perhaps the Spanish Los Patos or Los Patocitos (?) could be the offensive term. "Duckie" doesn't have any connotations of homosexuality in English (even if calling someone homosexual was interpreted as an insult.)
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Wingnuts was a good start. The danger is trying to be too clever here; nicknames tend to the lowest common denominator. "Flappers" might be a good starting point as well, refers to both daemons and angels having wings. It was also used in the 1930s as slang for a beautiful but slightly dumb woman
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

More fitting in angels' case than for demons.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Stuart wrote:Wingnuts was a good start. The danger is trying to be too clever here; nicknames tend to the lowest common denominator. "Flappers" might be a good starting point as well, refers to both daemons and angels having wings. It was also used in the 1930s as slang for a beautiful but slightly dumb woman
problem is, not all daemons have wings, so it works only for angels and harpies. and frankly, harpy is quite bad as is, so...

Spanish for duckie would be, I guess, patito(Spain) or patico in Latin America. I don't know about Spanish speaking people in Africa and Philippines. And trust me, it`s Latin America. Calling someone gay (if you are not a at least a friend or close colleague) is quite insulting. Even if the person you are addressing is in fact a homosexual, it`s extremely rude.