TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL FFXIV is so popular fans can and will crash the online store attempting to log in and preorder the new expansion.
I'll try to buy it next week.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-03-27 08:38pm TIL FFXIV is so popular fans can and will crash the online store attempting to log in and preorder the new expansion.
I've seen that before with other MMOs. With lots of very vocal people who demand to make their preorder that instant, even when waiting a few months would lose them nothing.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-03-28 01:08am
LadyTevar wrote: 2024-03-27 08:38pm TIL FFXIV is so popular fans can and will crash the online store attempting to log in and preorder the new expansion.
I've seen that before with other MMOs. With lots of very vocal people who demand to make their preorder that instant, even when waiting a few months would lose them nothing.
Instant Gratification.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

TIL that the Dominican Republic and Haiti are not on separate Caribbean islands but share the island of Hispaniola.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

TIL: The hospital in town charges you, then the doctor charges you and this is considered the new normal. It was not this way that long ago.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Today (well technically yesterday) I learned that while my backpack won't securely hold 4 half-litre 6-packs, it WILL three and a 0.33 litre one (and a croissant). Valuable knowledge.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Today I learned...

.... what a total eclipse of the sun looks like.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I'd seen the news coverage, I was surprised nobody on here was talking about it.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I was busy spending a lot of time on the road getting there and getting back. And we even avoided most of the traffic jam. I suppose I could have done a play-by-play on line with my phone but I was wrestling with the GPS to navigate back roads (no, you stupid machine! I do NOT want to get on I-65! Show me that damn cow-path!).

It was definitely worth the drive.

As for not talking about it... not as many people on the board these days and not everyone is North American.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Broomstick wrote: 2024-04-08 08:54pm Today I learned...

I'm glad you managed to see it. Closest I've ever managed in the UK was the partial eclipse in 2015 and the total one in 1999 (though I was a long out of the path of totality for that). One day I'll see a full one.

I have also learned that US Google searches for "my eyes hurt" and "why do my eyes hurt" have spiked massively since the eclipse. Sometimes, Americans, you just love living up to the stereotypes :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Oh, it's worse than that - there was a rash of videos on the internet claiming that the properly protective glasses were actually harmful/part of the conspiracy to control people/etc. and encouraging people to look at the eclipse without protection.

You can't fix stupid.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Broomstick wrote: 2024-04-09 02:40pm Oh, it's worse than that - there was a rash of videos on the internet claiming that the properly protective glasses were actually harmful/part of the conspiracy to control people/etc. and encouraging people to look at the eclipse without protection.

You can't fix stupid.
I...what....but...oh for fucks sake.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2024-04-09 01:29pm

I'm glad you managed to see it. Closest I've ever managed in the UK was the partial eclipse in 2015 and the total one in 1999 (though I was a long out of the path of totality for that). One day I'll see a full one.

I have also learned that US Google searches for "my eyes hurt" and "why do my eyes hurt" have spiked massively since the eclipse. Sometimes, Americans, you just love living up to the stereotypes :D
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-tr ... 51752.html
Trump looked at the solar eclipse without glasses despite a shouted warning from an aide
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2024-04-09 01:29pm

I'd gotten lucky in that I'd read about the 1999 eclipse in a magazine and told my parents about it so they were able to book suitable accommodation months in advance, before all the places cottoned on to the significance of that date and jacked up their prices. I still have the three sets of eclipse glasses tucked away in a memory box somewhere. I distinctly remember how the brightness of the sun didn't start diminishing until the moon had almost completely obscured it. I also remember how the RAF sent up a C-130 Hercules above the clouds to broadcast footage in case the view on the ground was blocked, though from where we were located we could see it just fine.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I should have put more effort into watching the 1999 one, I was well placed for it but working in a Salmon Smoking factory at that time. Most of the staff popped out to see it but I spent the entire time in a large freezer stacking boxes of fish instead.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

TIL that Al Bundy has a black belt in brazilian jiu-jitsu
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2024-04-10 04:38am TIL that Al Bundy has a black belt in brazilian jiu-jitsu
I've always thought of Al Bundy's fighting style as, "I-Don't-Have-Any-Fucks-Left-Fu." Less a formal body of techniques than a state of mind, he is able to focus his self-hatred into an implement of mutually assured destruction so pure he's more or less using the Dark Side of The Force. But if you mean the actor Ed O'Neill, yeah he's pretty serious about BJJ.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL that even if they tell you "Your appointment is now TELEMED", they do NOT MEAN 'stay by your home phone, we'll call you there'.

Oh no. I was supposed to go to Summersville like it was a REAL appointment, and see the PA while the doctor talked to us via phone app.

Would have been VERY NICE IF THEY'D SPECIFIED "GO TO YOUR APPOINTMENT AS NORMAL". Because TELEMED to me does not mean Office Visit.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

What was even the point in that...?

Anyway. On a slightly lighter note, TIL disabled bus passes take so long to show up in the mail that you get a two-week grace period to continue using an expired one. Saved me a non-trivial amount of money, that.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Zaune wrote: 2024-04-10 03:00pm What was even the point in that...?

Anyway. On a slightly lighter note, TIL disabled bus passes take so long to show up in the mail that you get a two-week grace period to continue using an expired one. Saved me a non-trivial amount of money, that.
I am currently wrestling with that right now. Sad thing is, when I first got mine from Cardiff Council it was really easy. Ten minutes, in and out, no need for an appointment, gave it to me right then and there.

What they didn't mention, is that despite the card saying "valid until 2032" it gets turned off every 3 years so they can check you're still eligible for a disabled pass. Sure, because my fucking optic nerve is really gonna grow back, what part of "chronic, incurable condition" is unclear, ya twats.

ANd because I now live in the decidedly less helpful Rhondda Cynon Taff council area, to get one sorted I need a photo, proof of age, two proofs of address, and proof of disability.

Makes me wonder why I pay the fucking council tax frankly.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zaune wrote: 2024-04-10 03:00pm What was even the point in that...?
Getting a 10-lead EKG done, mostly. The rest was just the basic checking of vitals.

TIL They have a way to hear a person's heart/lungs via Telemed. Not sure how loud it was for him but it worked.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2024-04-10 05:11pmI am currently wrestling with that right now. Sad thing is, when I first got mine from Cardiff Council it was really easy. Ten minutes, in and out, no need for an appointment, gave it to me right then and there.

What they didn't mention, is that despite the card saying "valid until 2032" it gets turned off every 3 years so they can check you're still eligible for a disabled pass. Sure, because my fucking optic nerve is really gonna grow back, what part of "chronic, incurable condition" is unclear, ya twats.

ANd because I now live in the decidedly less helpful Rhondda Cynon Taff council area, to get one sorted I need a photo, proof of age, two proofs of address, and proof of disability.

Makes me wonder why I pay the fucking council tax frankly.
Weird. I guess my local council handle it a bit differently: The renewal process is dead simple, just go to any library (that hasn't been closed down because the Tories ran our county council into the ground...) and give your details. Then wait two weeks for it to show up. I think mine was only valid for three years in the first place though.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Swapped out studded winter tires to summer tires again. For the first time I used a torque wrench to pull them to spec (~105nm / 76ft-lbs) and holy crap that's nothing. I have tightened the bolts a lot harder by hand all the 24 years I've been driving.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL that OJ Simpson just died.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

And that Virgin Holidays are pushing ads for holidaying in Israel of all places.