Microsoft draws flak for pushing Windows 10 on PC users

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Microsoft draws flak for pushing Windows 10 on PC users

Post by amigocabal »

Matt Day wrote:With about a month left for many PC users to upgrade to Windows 10 at no charge, Microsoft is being criticized for its aggressive — some say too aggressive — campaign to get people to install the new operating system.

A few days after Microsoft released Windows 10 to the public last year, Teri Goldstein’s computer started trying to download and install the new operating system.

The update, which she says she didn’t authorize, failed. Instead, the computer she uses to run her Sausalito, Calif., travel-agency business slowed to a crawl. It would crash, she says, and be unusable for days at a time.

“I had never heard of Windows 10,” Goldstein said. “Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update.”

How to get, or avoid, Windows 10
Microsoft is offering Windows 10 as a free update to nonbusiness users of Windows 7 and Windows 8 or 8.1 until July 29. After that, the software will cost $119.

To get it
Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-10-upgrade and follow the prompts.

To avoid it
A Microsoft support article on the update process, at http://www.support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095675 includes instructions on how to decline the updates and turn off Windows 10-related notifications.

Separately, a free application called Never10 is designed to run in the background and block attempts to prompt you to update to Windows 10. The program is available for download at http://www.grc.com/never10

When outreach to Microsoft’s customer support didn’t fix the issue, Goldstein took the software giant to court, seeking compensation for lost wages and the cost of a new computer.

She won. Last month, Microsoft dropped an appeal and Goldstein collected a $10,000 judgment from the company.

The company denies wrongdoing, and a spokeswoman said Microsoft halted its appeal to avoid the expense of further litigation.
Continue reading...
What kind of customer service is this that you would automatically update an OS without requiring affirmative acts by the customer. Have these people ever heard of the concept of affirmative consent.

Look, I understand that people prefer auto-updates for antivirus and other security software. New viruses keep popping up all the time, and most people do not want to risk being infected with a new virus in between the time it comes out and they ask for an update. The installation of antivirus software usually asks if the user wants automatic updates, and most users choose automatic updates due to not wanting to manually keep track of the latest viruses. (Or is it viri?)

But a new operating system, the basic system in which to run a computer, is a whole different issue than automated updates for a web browser, Usenet newsgroup reader, or antivirus program. It has far reaching effects, so it is a bad idea to have an auto update for it.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Microsoft draws flak for pushing Windows 10 on PC users

Post by Zaune »

Six years old, but still relevant:

Oh, and while locating this comic I discovered that several people have created 3D-printable Tiny Open Source Violins. I think I'll buy one when I can afford it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

But, the thing is, Word barely worked, and was more bloated than Jabba the Hutt. I say this not just as an OpenOffice diehard, but as someone who's used Word, in both DOS and Windows incarnations, Word Perfect, Word Star, Samna Word, and Ami Pro/Word Pro, which was orphaned by IBM when they gobbled up Lotus.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Well, put it this way: I've used an MS operating system since DOS, and I'm now switching over to a Mac. I don't care if Windows 10 is superior in every way to Windows 7 and 8.1 (Or OSX for that matter) their blatant attempts to sabotage my computer and force / trick me into updating to an operating system I do not want yet and am not ready for is amongst the worst customer experience I've ever had. You would think that they would try and treat 25+ year customers with at last some level of respect, but no, they just don't give a damn. So screw them, I'm taking my money elsewhere and not buying any Microsoft-based hardware / software for the foreseeable future.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Tribble wrote:Well, put it this way: I've used an MS operating system since DOS, and I'm now switching over to a Mac. I don't care if Windows 10 is superior in every way to Windows 7 and 8.1 (Or OSX for that matter) their blatant attempts to sabotage my computer and force / trick me into updating to an operating system I do not want yet and am not ready for is amongst the worst customer experience I've ever had. You would think that they would try and treat 25+ year customers with at last some level of respect, but no, they just don't give a damn. So screw them, I'm taking my money elsewhere and not buying any Microsoft-based hardware / software for the foreseeable future.
Could you imagine a system software vendor who upgraded, without consent, the OS of a computer network of a multimillion dollar business customer of theirs? The cancellation notice will arrive the very next morning, with a lot of angry words.

Microsoft is getting bad press on this, as this Google search shows.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... de%20trick

If I had been the CEO during this debacle, I would hide my face in a paper bag while explaining to the board how I could have signed off on such a fucked up action.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

There is more.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... actic.html

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095675
Microsoft wrote:If you click on OK or on the red “X”, you’re all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 2147217396
microsoft wrote: The Close button on the title bar should have the same effect as the Cancel or Close button within the dialog box. Never give it the same effect as OK.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

They have now been successfully sued as well:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... grade.html
Microsoft last month paid a California travel agent $10,000 after she won a judgment in small claims court by successfully arguing that an unauthorized upgrade to Windows 10 crippled her work PC.

Teri Goldstein, the owner of Sausalito, Calif.-based TG Travel Group LLC, said that she had not approved the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After the upgrade repeatedly failed, the machine was almost unusable, frequently crashing and forcing her to restore files, not recognizing her external hard drive, and demanding that she use multi-step workarounds simply to log on each day. "It just limped along," Goldstein said in an interview.

The Seattle Times first reported on Microsoft giving up its appeal and paying Goldstein the $10,000 judgment.

Goldstein relied on her computer to run her business.

"For months I tried to work with them, but they kept blowing me off," said Goldstein, of the problems that began in August 2015. She said she made countless calls to Microsoft's technical support, visited a local Microsoft retail store, and spent hours scouring support forums, all to no avail.

Meanwhile, her business was taking a pounding. "September to December is my busiest season," Goldstein said, adding that she could not shut down her company the week or more it would take to buy a new PC and have her IT consultant set it up, provision it with the software she needed, and transfer her files. At the same time, she fielded calls from clients asking why she hadn't answered their emails, which were inaccessible because of the crippled computer. Some of those customers canceled their bookings.

In early October, she bought a new laptop because her Windows desktop was still unreliable, then tried to do business using both. In late December, the first time business slowed enough to allow it, she bought a new desktop PC to replace the crippled computer.

During the months-long span, Goldstein said she suffered $17,000 in lost business and additional expenses because of the failed upgrade to Windows 10, basing her estimate on past-years' revenue during the period and the cost of the new computers.

Microsoft's support technicians were never able to restore her PC to its former operational state, and Goldstein's account of dealings with the Redmond, Wash. company's customer service department was Kafka-esque.

According to the notes Goldstein had kept on her dilemma, which she shared with Computerworld, one customer service representative -- whose name, email and phone number she had been given by a Microsoft retail store in San Francisco -- was "continually rude, unwilling to assist me," and eventually told her "Do not ever contact me again."

By mid-January, Goldstein had had enough. "That was when they offered me $150 to go away," she said today. "I used that as proof of guilt. They knew what was happening."

From there, Goldstein went to Marin County's small claims court, filing a claim for the maximum of $10,000.

In March, her claim was heard. Goldstein came prepared with documentation, including years of her firm's revenue to show the losses caused by the lack of a working PC. Microsoft, on the other hand, sent someone from the local retail store, not an attorney.

"This very honest kid came in, and said they had pulled him out of the store at 4:30 to go to court," said Goldstein. "They didn't even prepare for it."

Basing her claim on a section in the California Uniform Commercial Code, and arguing that the forced upgrade was non-consensual and resulted in lost wages, Goldstein was awarded the $10,000 judgment. Microsoft originally said it would appeal, but then ditched the idea and paid her the $10,000 last month.

"The company dropped its appeal to avoid the expense of further litigation," a Microsoft spokesman said in an email reply to questions today.

Goldstein's story likely resonates with many of the Windows users who, over the last 11 months, have objected to a variety of Microsoft tactics designed to convince, cajole or even trick customers running Windows 7 and 8.1 into upgrading to Windows 10.

Microsoft's upgrade strategy, which began months before the July 29, 2015, launch of the new operating system, became increasingly aggressive. After first asking customers to "reserve" a copy of the upgrade, it moved on to downloading the upgrade bits in the background to those users' machines. In October 2015, Microsoft announced it would automatically push the Windows 10 upgrade to all eligible PCs, then initiate the upgrade process. That practice began in February.

More recently, the firm started pre-scheduling the upgrade, a change that dramatically increased the number of complaints, and triggered a petition asking the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) to investigate the unprecedented gambit.

Users were especially irate about a change Microsoft made in March when it began to interpret a click on the red "X" in the upper right of an impending upgrade notice as approving the upgrade, contradicting decades of user experience (UX), as well as Microsoft's own design rules. Customers called it a trick to get them to approve the upgrade to Windows 10 when they intended to reject it.

Goldstein had advice for others in similar straits.

"Corporations need to be held accountable," she said. "My business was destroyed by a company pushing its products. You have to take the bull by the horns because as long as Microsoft can get away with this, they will."

Goldstein encouraged others who have suffered loss of money or time because of Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrade strategy to contact her. "My position is that anyone who wants to talk to me about their rights, should call me. Or email me."

Goldstein's phone number and email address can be found on one of her websites, Travels with Teri.
Apparently they couldn't even be bothered to send an attorney to the court case, they just sent some poor kid last minute from the nearest store. They really don't give a shit about their customers, even when they are being sued by them!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

You reposted the same news story as the OP...
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Oh sorry, I missed that :(

Well it was so stupid a story it was worth posting twice!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

It's really about fucking time someone sued their shit for all this. And it needs to happen more, a lot more. I use W10 at home. In fact, "gamers" are the largest group I've read about adopting it due to their general tech competence and the performance benefits of the OS. That and gaming doesn't have the same issues with backwards compatibility productivity software has. If you're playing any kind of modern game, it's almost certainly going to run better on 10.

But MS kind of lost their shit when people didn't equate "free" with "super awesome." Sorry, I don't give a damn how good W10 might be: I don't have the luxury of upgrading all my work PCs to it when we HAVE to use older programs due to government agencies and even some client required ones. And I'm not keeping one old W7 machine in the back or running a VM for that garbage when W10 offers me no extra productivity. Hell, I've got people who refuse to upgrade their Office suite. And these are people who are otherwise retired, they really don't need the money, but we need their agency approved stamps, so I'm not going to bust their balls about it.

But, MS seems to have gone into panic mode to reach their "1 billion served" sign on the front door because it isn't just magically happening for them.
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

TheFeniX wrote:It's really about fucking time someone sued their shit for all this. And it needs to happen more, a lot more. I use W10 at home. In fact, "gamers" are the largest group I've read about adopting it due to their general tech competence and the performance benefits of the OS. That and gaming doesn't have the same issues with backwards compatibility productivity software has. If you're playing any kind of modern game, it's almost certainly going to run better on 10.
This is an interesting point, I hadn't realized gamers would be the ones to update. I suppose they don't care what os they're on as long as it runs all their games though - if the market shifts they'll shift right along with it.
TheFeniX wrote:But MS kind of lost their shit when people didn't equate "free" with "super awesome." Sorry, I don't give a damn how good W10 might be: I don't have the luxury of upgrading all my work PCs to it when we HAVE to use older programs due to government agencies and even some client required ones. And I'm not keeping one old W7 machine in the back or running a VM for that garbage when W10 offers me no extra productivity.
Yeah, I think they missed the fact that upgrading $4,000-10,000 in productivity software (Not an exaggeration: that is how much the programs I use cost, especially while in transition away from Autodesk) just for a $120 OS will never pan out. Never mind the switching costs and intangibles, getting everyone up to speed on the new OS, making sure all the peripherals and printers and stuff work. So far my anti-W10 walls seem to be holding.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Me2005 wrote:This is an interesting point, I hadn't realized gamers would be the ones to update. I suppose they don't care what os they're on as long as it runs all their games though - if the market shifts they'll shift right along with it.
Gamers generally don't care about the OS at all. They'll remove it completely to free up resources, though that hasn't been an issue for almost 20 years now. The only real issues that will hold them back is driver support (like W2kPro having no OpenGL support and ATI refusing to release an OpenGL driver) and cost, since $100 towards an OS is $100 not going to other hardware. Since W10 "out-of-the-box" actually had pretty good driver support (at least I know NVidia was on the ball.... as much as they can be lately) and was "free:" it's a pretty good reason to upgrade. Probably helps also that W10 runs better/faster than W7/W8 on equivalent hardware.
Yeah, I think they missed the fact that upgrading $4,000-10,000 in productivity software (Not an exaggeration: that is how much the programs I use cost, especially while in transition away from Autodesk) just for a $120 OS will never pan out. Never mind the switching costs and intangibles, getting everyone up to speed on the new OS, making sure all the peripherals and printers and stuff work. So far my anti-W10 walls seem to be holding.
They missed a lot of shit. Just one old piece of shit I have to run (which is even broken right now, but some client/agencies still want used) is EPA TANKS 4.09d. I don't know if it will even work on 10, but it's not even designed to run on W7, but the calcs do match up with the stuff I had on 2kPro and XP.

But the medical field is filled with this as well. Some old broken POS program some government agency coded for $5 and is designed to run on MS-DOS2.0 or something, and you have to have it. Or just security in general? How could the military, or any government agency concerned with privacy ever use W10? I honestly don't know, but would I be violating HIPAA as an IT professional installing W10 on medical professional computers? The fucker has a keylogger built into it. The thing is a data mining machine.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Me2005 wrote:
TheFeniX wrote:It's really about fucking time someone sued their shit for all this. And it needs to happen more, a lot more. I use W10 at home. In fact, "gamers" are the largest group I've read about adopting it due to their general tech competence and the performance benefits of the OS. That and gaming doesn't have the same issues with backwards compatibility productivity software has. If you're playing any kind of modern game, it's almost certainly going to run better on 10.
This is an interesting point, I hadn't realized gamers would be the ones to update. I suppose they don't care what os they're on as long as it runs all their games though - if the market shifts they'll shift right along with it.
TheFeniX wrote:But MS kind of lost their shit when people didn't equate "free" with "super awesome." Sorry, I don't give a damn how good W10 might be: I don't have the luxury of upgrading all my work PCs to it when we HAVE to use older programs due to government agencies and even some client required ones. And I'm not keeping one old W7 machine in the back or running a VM for that garbage when W10 offers me no extra productivity.
A SolidWorks license alone is about $10k a pop, nevermind any sort of medical geared software.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

TheFeniX wrote:
Me2005 wrote:This is an interesting point, I hadn't realized gamers would be the ones to update. I suppose they don't care what os they're on as long as it runs all their games though - if the market shifts they'll shift right along with it.
Gamers generally don't care about the OS at all. They'll remove it completely to free up resources, though that hasn't been an issue for almost 20 years now. The only real issues that will hold them back is driver support (like W2kPro having no OpenGL support and ATI refusing to release an OpenGL driver) and cost, since $100 towards an OS is $100 not going to other hardware. Since W10 "out-of-the-box" actually had pretty good driver support (at least I know NVidia was on the ball.... as much as they can be lately) and was "free:" it's a pretty good reason to upgrade. Probably helps also that W10 runs better/faster than W7/W8 on equivalent hardware.
Gamers are I believe quite concerned about W10 actually due to Microsofts insistance on pushing W10 games as, essentially, apps which can't be modded. Admittedly the only PC gamer I really follow is Total Biscuit but he recently rolled back to W7 due to software problems
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Lost Soal wrote:Gamers are I believe quite concerned about W10 actually due to Microsofts insistance on pushing W10 games as, essentially, apps which can't be modded. Admittedly the only PC gamer I really follow is Total Biscuit but he recently rolled back to W7 due to software problems
The W10 games system was DOA and Microsoft really doesn't have any say in the matter: the game publishers do. I don't even have cross-plat play on my phone and my OS, across the same XBLive account. "Aw man, I can totally stream games from my ShitBox to my I7 with 10x the hardware? Kickin' Rad."

Playstation is a valid console alternative and GoG, Steam, and Origin would never let Microsoft dictate what they can and can't do on their system because "fuck you" really. Microsoft essentially abandoned PC gaming for years only trying their truly shitty GFWL system which tanked hard. Microsoft has been trying to fuck gamers hard for years but they don't have anything to fuck us with. Valve had Counter-Strike and EA has the trash heaps they make you download Origin for. Besides, modding a game or not is more up to the developer than the OS anyway. You really think any of those guys (or the gaming community itself) are going to ever use GFWL 2.0 at gunpoint when their current system is making them billions in digital sales and they control the DRM and profit-breakdown?

At that point, the publishers would be suing Microsoft (likely together) for their bullshit.

The best this would accomplish is give gamers more reason to look into Steam boxes and their Linux equivalents (or just Linux in general) and Steam in of itself has made major strides into making it a viable end-user system in the vein of Steam on Windows is: click to download game > play game. Or they just roll back to their valid W7/W8 OSs that major publishers continue to support because they like money.

For their "App Store" in general: I use a Windows phone currently, just for shits and grins because I do nothing on my phone but e-mail, calls, texts, porn... I mean, Internet Browsing. And I just wanted to try it out. There's not even a good Youtube player for it. Microsofts ofiicial version is fucking garbage. The platform is a joke, no one is using it, so there's no good apps for it. Which no one will make good apps because no one will use them. I got my XBLive account on there though! woot.

Pushing this W10 across everything line and bloating their shit up was a way to quit fighting a 3 way battle between mobile, OS, and Xbox. No one's fucking buying it though. Once again, Microsoft has forgotten how to do business when they can't strong-arm everyone into doing what they want. Really just need more people calling a lawyer.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

It's not just modding: There's been talk of games sold through the Microsoft Store being locked into some sort of exclusivity arrangement, potentially meaning no option to buy from competing retailers like Steam or GOG. And then there's the doomsday scenario of MS deciding that Home Basic and Home Premium users are no longer allowed to install apps without using the Store. Non-Enterprise users already lost the ability to control Store access through Group Policy.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

TheFeniX wrote: For their "App Store" in general: I use a Windows phone currently, just for shits and grins because I do nothing on my phone but e-mail, calls, texts, porn... I mean, Internet Browsing. And I just wanted to try it out.
I dunno about Windows Phone but I suspect that's probably true of 90% of smartphone owners over age 20-- minimal gaming, mostly just communications in general. And photos.

The only really new thing about OP's story is that MS is turning off the free update to W10 soon. Which I can't wait for. I got Never10 so that helped, but I'd really rather not have to worry about it...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

TheFeniX wrote:
Lost Soal wrote:Gamers are I believe quite concerned about W10 actually due to Microsofts insistance on pushing W10 games as, essentially, apps which can't be modded. Admittedly the only PC gamer I really follow is Total Biscuit but he recently rolled back to W7 due to software problems
The W10 games system was DOA and Microsoft really doesn't have any say in the matter: the game publishers do. I don't even have cross-plat play on my phone and my OS, across the same XBLive account. "Aw man, I can totally stream games from my ShitBox to my I7 with 10x the hardware? Kickin' Rad."

Playstation is a valid console alternative and GoG, Steam, and Origin would never let Microsoft dictate what they can and can't do on their system because "fuck you" really. Microsoft essentially abandoned PC gaming for years only trying their truly shitty GFWL system which tanked hard. Microsoft has been trying to fuck gamers hard for years but they don't have anything to fuck us with. Valve had Counter-Strike and EA has the trash heaps they make you download Origin for. Besides, modding a game or not is more up to the developer than the OS anyway. You really think any of those guys (or the gaming community itself) are going to ever use GFWL 2.0 at gunpoint when their current system is making them billions in digital sales and they control the DRM and profit-breakdown?

At that point, the publishers would be suing Microsoft (likely together) for their bullshit.
ATM I'm primarilly talking about MS published games; Sea of Thieves, Quantom Break, Gears of War, Halo (Wars), Re-Core etc. With modding its not just about changing game elements or whatever your also talking about the ability of modders to out right fix broken games which the publisher was just too lazy to fix, i.e. Durante fixing Tales of Symphonia in 14 minutes.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I have my Win7 computer set to download updates but ask me before installing. It periodically shows me a "You should upgrade to Win10!" thing with an X in the upper corner. I click the X, it goes away, and it doesn't upgrade me to 10. I honestly wonder just how many people misclicked on "upgrade" and then shut the computer down when it starting upgrading as they directed, and MS would rather settle with them then try to spend many thousands of dollars trying to convince each judge that the person misclicked.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Zaune wrote:It's not just modding: There's been talk of games sold through the Microsoft Store being locked into some sort of exclusivity arrangement, potentially meaning no option to buy from competing retailers like Steam or GOG. And then there's the doomsday scenario of MS deciding that Home Basic and Home Premium users are no longer allowed to install apps without using the Store. Non-Enterprise users already lost the ability to control Store access through Group Policy.
At this point, I'd like to see some kind of evidence. I'm sure this has been talked about in meetings, maybe even plans drawn up, but gaming (including PC) is way to big for that. It would be like Edge being the only browser to install for W10, or Groove being the only media player. The amount of lawsuits coming out of big name publishers, who have nothing to gain by cowing to MS and everything to lose by ditching their distribution systems, for anti-competitive business practices would be insane. Not to mention they'd lose their one main install base for W10 almost overnight because at the end of the day, reinstalling an OS and a bunch of games has to be the easiest recovery of a PC out there.

For them pushing their IPs on their system: how is that different than Uncharted, Left 4 Dead PC, Gears of War, or Dragon Age PC? It's GFWL 2.0 and it's likely to fail even harder since their competition are already juggernauts and more numerous than they were before. The PS4 is already spanking their little bottoms. Jesus, MS flaked out on any new GoW releases on GFWL because they didn't want to compete with themselves. They helped kill their own shitty platform because they wouldn't release games for it. Or at least not until games with little longevity on PC weren't already past their expiration date (READ: Fable hitting GFWL almost a year after it's console release). That shit ain't Grand Theft Auto.
Elheru Aran wrote:I dunno about Windows Phone but I suspect that's probably true of 90% of smartphone owners over age 20-- minimal gaming, mostly just communications in general. And photos.
Sounds about right.
The only really new thing about OP's story is that MS is turning off the free update to W10 soon. Which I can't wait for. I got Never10 so that helped, but I'd really rather not have to worry about it...
With how poorly their projections have been matched, I would not be surprised one bit if that date gets pushed back indefinitely. Pure speculation on my part.
Lost Soal wrote:ATM I'm primarilly talking about MS published games; Sea of Thieves, Quantom Break, Gears of War, Halo (Wars), Re-Core etc. With modding its not just about changing game elements or whatever your also talking about the ability of modders to out right fix broken games which the publisher was just too lazy to fix, i.e. Durante fixing Tales of Symphonia in 14 minutes.
How many console games can modders fix, aside from possibly Fallout 4 and the yet released Skyrim revamp? If MS wants to turn their W10 Games store into XBone Lite: that's their prerogative. I'm talking about if they locked any kind of.... I don't know, DirectX calls or executables to only run in their store. That would be a catastrophic business decision.

On par, actually worse, than if they went with the FUD people were on about when "Windows 7 (EDIT: Or was it XP? It's been sooo long/EDIT) is totally going to not run your MP3s and any videos without a license!" It was all bullshit and there's already enough real bad press about this whole brush war without jumping to thoughts of Armageddon.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Tribble wrote:
By mid-January, Goldstein had had enough. "That was when they offered me $150 to go away," she said today. "I used that as proof of guilt. They knew what was happening."

From there, Goldstein went to Marin County's small claims court, filing a claim for the maximum of $10,000.

In March, her claim was heard. Goldstein came prepared with documentation, including years of her firm's revenue to show the losses caused by the lack of a working PC. Microsoft, on the other hand, sent someone from the local retail store, not an attorney.

"This very honest kid came in, and said they had pulled him out of the store at 4:30 to go to court," said Goldstein. "They didn't even prepare for it."
Apparently they couldn't even be bothered to send an attorney to the court case, they just sent some poor kid last minute from the nearest store. They really don't give a shit about their customers, even when they are being sued by them!
Sounds sort of like what happened when I sued someone - an employee was sent to represent the company rather than the owner or an attorney.

They lost, too.

An excess of arrogance and unwarranted confidence.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Which is what happens when you're the leader of a captive market, Broom.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

In Microsoft's case it's probably cheaper to lose than to pay their attorney fees.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Debateable. Paying this one case may be cost-effective, but if they wind up having to defend themselves against, say, a hundred thousand similar cases...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Simon_Jester wrote:Debateable. Paying this one case may be cost-effective, but if they wind up having to defend themselves against, say, a hundred thousand similar cases...
On the other hand, if they can eat a loss quickly, they could manage to keep it close enough to being swept under the rug to not really make a blip on the news radar for other users frustrated with their business practices to pick up on. I suspect that was part of what they were thinking...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.