Growing Pains for Drones

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Re: Growing Pains for Drones

Post by Gaidin »

Broomstick wrote:The FAA does care about the low level operators, that's why they've resisted imposing more requirements at that level, and for some things have even loosen up (allowing controlled diabetics to fly general aviation, for example).
I actually wouldn't think to suggest otherwise.

It's why I was suggesting earlier about a difference between general aviation licensing and uav licensing, be it professional or private. Theoretically, you could do a lot if a license is required to set aside and prioritize things specifically for the licensed private uav pilots if they stay within their rulesets. Sure, a license is required. But it goes both ways if it's done right. If rules are followed then the FAA goes to bat for the private pilot because that's what the policy says. What those rules would be, hell you'd be a better judge of that than I would. I can only bet on the outcome were it to happen in a technical sense because I've seen it happen in another area, even though, yes, an argument can arise.

Right now it's just the authorities or someone else going "You accidentally flew your plane into something you didn't know was there, pay up" if it wasn't just a crash into the wilderness.
PKRudeBoy
Padawan Learner

Post by PKRudeBoy »

I see problems with enforcement though. With a regular plane, there's someone inside it and they will have to land at an airstrip somewhere. With a UAV, on the other hand, you can just abandon it and I don't really see a way to trace it back to you. You might be out a grand or so, but if Shadowrun has taught me anything, it may very well be worth it.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

PKRudeBoy wrote:I see problems with enforcement though. With a regular plane, there's someone inside it and they will have to land at an airstrip somewhere. With a UAV, on the other hand, you can just abandon it and I don't really see a way to trace it back to you. You might be out a grand or so, but if Shadowrun has taught me anything, it may very well be worth it.
Sounds like more of a problem with having them on the market altogether. That idea's about a few decades too late, at least when considering anything that can fly unmanned and could be left behind.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Building from scratch isn't that hard, and the information on how to make a working aircraft has been out in the world for a century now.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Most RC pilots build from scratch. Making a big jet isn't that hard. You can build a big styrofoam triangle, put a few wooden struts in, and mount a 100$ pulse-jet on it (or build your own, they are easy to make). Slap 200$ of RC equipment on it, done. Even with the camera equipment, this can be done well under a grand if you know what you do and don't care for looks. The expensive part in RC modelling is making it look like a real plane.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Maybe they're still scratch-building in Europe but the US market is becoming dominated by pre-built "ready to fly" or "almost ready to fly" that require minimum building on the part of the pilot.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, that should make things relatively simple- put identifying serial numbers on the parts of the plane. If a remote-controlled aircraft is retrieved and there is reason to think it was involved in a crime, go to the manufacturer and try to figure out who bought that particular plane. There aren't so many RC aircraft hobbyists that this should be hard to do.

Of course, it does nothing to stop the roll-your-own crowd. On the other hand, it doesn't cost much.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Broomstick wrote:Maybe they're still scratch-building in Europe but the US market is becoming dominated by pre-built "ready to fly" or "almost ready to fly" that require minimum building on the part of the pilot.
They're pretty common over here as well, from what I've seen in magazines in doctor's waiting rooms, but there's always enthusiastic modelmakers who'll either build their own from scratch or modify an existing kit almost beyond recognition.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Broomstick wrote:Maybe they're still scratch-building in Europe but the US market is becoming dominated by pre-built "ready to fly" or "almost ready to fly" that require minimum building on the part of the pilot.
At first, you buy pre-built entry level planes. Then you might buy something of higher quality. But most people I know would rather build their own planes from kits or scratch than buy anything RTF. It's frowned upon like a cook using convenience food.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Really? I started with scratch-built - but then, I built my first model 40 years ago when RTF wasn't an option.

As I said, it may be different in Europe but around here the new entries are all getting RTF, only the old timers are still buying kits to assemble, much less scratch building. Not just my impression, that's what the local hobby shop owner has told me. He's carrying fewer and fewer kits and more and more RTF's because that's what's selling right now. Nobody seems to frown on it. Seems Americans are more interested in flying than building these days.