Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October's SciFi Kerfuffle PostPosted: 2014-11-07 03:54pm
Jedi Knight

There's been an explosion/implosion in the scifi community that hit my twitter feed this week.

From what I can gather, and it's tough because there are a lot of people and pseudonyms involved, an up and coming Thai SciFi author was revealed to be the same person as a longstanding critic/hateblogger/troll who went out of her way to hurt a lot of people in the scifi community over the last decade or so.

The really fascinating thing to me is that a lot of the tactics they used involved attacks from the Social Justice front, a barrage of calling people racist/homophobe/transphobe that really shut down discussion. Also fascinating that it seems to have been primarily directed at POC authors and readers. Coming so closely on the heels of gamergate and it is kind of surprising to me to that there actually are people co-opting SJW language to kill conversation in this manner.

Laura J. Mixon took the time to catalog the events, and the authors damaged and posted that here: http://laurajmixon.com/2014/11/a-report ... ral-names/

Other blogs/posts/people are linked from there.

Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

Post subject: Re: October's SciFi Kerfuffle PostPosted: 2014-11-07 05:40pm
Sith Marauder

Kerfuffle seems an understatement. There's something fractal about a lot of these human systems

"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

Post subject: Re: October's SciFi Kerfuffle PostPosted: 2014-11-07 05:54pm
Jedi Knight

You're right, but I sat here for a long time and I honestly couldn't come up with the right title for the whole thing.

Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

Post subject: Re: October's SciFi Kerfuffle PostPosted: 2014-11-07 06:22pm
Sith Marauder

Implosion? It's not expqnsive the way gamergate aims to be. It's an implosion between members of a niche in a niche in a niche. Wether rh did what or inspired followers to do isn't of much interest to people outside those niches. Asian or post colonial sci-fi is an interest of mine, but this dosent look more then passing interest.

"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

Post subject: Re: October's SciFi Kerfuffle PostPosted: 2014-11-09 06:52am
Sith Marauder

ugh. i should stop posting from a phone. Returning to this story since it's getting some heavy pushing to exposure from people heavily linked to Gamergate (eg u/SleepsWithJournalists ) on reddit.

I guess because it fits their 'SJW girls are bad and evil' mindset?