What If: Easy nuclear weapons.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sky Captain
Jedi Master

What If: Easy nuclear weapons.

Post by Sky Captain »

Suppose once the physics are discovered building a basic WWII era nuclear device is fairly easy. By easy I mean that nearly every third world nation that can scrape together few dozen millions of $$$ can buy all the required materials and skilled people to make small arsenal of 30 - 50 nukes.
For this argument let's assume that some sort of easy uranium enrichment process exist that don't require super expensive facilities, but only suitable amount of natural uranium to start with and some industrial hardware that have too much other uses so restricting it is not an option.

What would happen to the world if nearly every every third world warlord could have his own small arsenal of nukes and more developed countries like Iran could have as much as they want? Would the world burn down in nuclear fire or some sort of common sense would prevent massed uses of nuclear weapons?
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Re: What If: Easy nuclear weapons.

Post by Zor »

The end of civilization. Crazy fundamentalist nutjobs get ahold of them and blow stuff up.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The United States would be in control of the world, as once they realised the ease of creating it, they would have developed the technology in secret, and assassinated anyone that even had a hint of developing in.

Once that had a large enough arsenal to glass anyone that was not their ally, then they end World War II with a Nuclear weapon demonstration, followed by 'And we have enough to make sure no one ever tries anything again'.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Solauren wrote:The United States would be in control of the world, as once they realised the ease of creating it, they would have developed the technology in secret, and assassinated anyone that even had a hint of developing in.
Good luck doing that if the next group of physicists who happen to stumble upon the same process independently are behind the Iron Curtain, or somewhere else that can keep their work quiet until they test their first bomb.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

You would hope that good old Mutually Assured Destruction would keep everybody from doing anything too rash (hey, it's worked so far).

But then fundies will be fundies, so chances are we'd be largely fucked.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

MAD should work between more or less stable countries. Assuming for example that North and South Koreas are armed to teeth with nukes chances are none of them would launch because even crazy dictator like to be in power instead of being waporized.
However as more and more unstable countries would develop their arsenals and later also rich terrorist/criminal organizations like drug cartels would buy or manufacture their own devices chances are high that acts of nuclear terrorism would eventually happen. Could our modern world economy tolerate that on average every few years despite all the security efforts there is a nuclear attack on major city with ~10 kt device?
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I think you guys are forgetting about delivery systems. Even if every tin pot dictator has nukes, they will not all have a way to use them against countries far away from them.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

spaceviking wrote:I think you guys are forgetting about delivery systems. Even if every tin pot dictator has nukes, they will not all have a way to use them against countries far away from them.
As Sky Captain pointed out, it's not so much the tinpots you need to worry about- governments like to have a country to rule over.

It's extremist/terrorist groups and cartels and such would be the problem.

I would think that if nukes were that easy to build, they could be assembled in the target country and delivered by hand, so to speak.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Solauren wrote:The United States would be in control of the world, as once they realised the ease of creating it, they would have developed the technology in secret, and assassinated anyone that even had a hint of developing in.

Once that had a large enough arsenal to glass anyone that was not their ally, then they end World War II with a Nuclear weapon demonstration, followed by 'And we have enough to make sure no one ever tries anything again'.
This was actually an option suggested by a number of scientists in the Franck Report in July 45. However, they added an addendum saying that they could not expect to keep the details a secret for more than five or six years, less if a bomb was used.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

If humans had evolved a few million years earlier much high concentrations of Uwhatever were available, making this a viable scenario.

The arms race prior to WWI might well have included nukes, and while terrorism suddenly got a bit more risky*, we might have been spared the horrors of two world wars.

*Expect Geiger counters to be used extensively at ports shortly after the arms race begins.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

How viable would be to enforce strict laws on uranium mining? Even with cheap enrichment process a crude nuke require ~50 kg U235. To get that amount one would have to mine around 10 tons of natural Uranium.
I would expect in this scenarion all known high grade uranium ore deposits would be strictly monitored and brutal mining rules enforced to reduce the chances of someone collecting large amounts of unaccounted Uranium. It may go so far that any detected illegal mining in some third world country is quickly shut down by military intervention if neccesary. Is this viable way how to prevent every other third world shithole from developing sizable arsenals which could later during civil war fall in hands of some terrorist organization.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Sky Captain wrote:How viable would be to enforce strict laws on uranium mining? Even with cheap enrichment process a crude nuke require ~50 kg U235. To get that amount one would have to mine around 10 tons of natural Uranium.
I would expect in this scenarion all known high grade uranium ore deposits would be strictly monitored and brutal mining rules enforced to reduce the chances of someone collecting large amounts of unaccounted Uranium. It may go so far that any detected illegal mining in some third world country is quickly shut down by military intervention if neccesary. Is this viable way how to prevent every other third world shithole from developing sizable arsenals which could later during civil war fall in hands of some terrorist organization.
This was another idea raised in the Franck report, the idea that Uranium mining shoudl be strictly and transparently controlled by an internaitonal body, with each nation allowed only a small amount for nuclear power and R&D. They concluded that any breach of such mining regulations must be met with immediate and deadly force lest a nation gain a devastating advantage. In their words "the organisation must not be a paper tiger." Any reticence in complying with the "nuclear bookkeeping" was to be deemed violation of regulations and met with force as well. As you can probably geuss, such a system would be unworkable.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

You can run into uranium ore looking for other stuff, you can also get uranium ore by drilling wells as opposed to mines, its a more then slight problem in PA now that a number of fracking wells have drilled through uranium deposits. Enforcement against mining is absurdly unworkable. Going after world wide uranium enrichment might work, if it went along with an open skies treaty so hoards of reconnaissance planes could buzz around looking for radioactive emissions at all times. Odds of this happening would be zero. I'd go with earth blows up.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956