Your English vocabulary

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Your English vocabulary

Post by Norseman »

I found this online English vocabulary test, where I scored an estimated 38 100 words. You can find my results here. It's funny that I got such a good score, since I'm not even a native English speaker. So how do y'all do in this test?
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Your English vocabulary

Post by Iroscato »

29,700, when I really squint and rack my brains. Which is above the average for my age of 17, so I'm perfectly happy with that.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

33,500 at 19. Which is apparently above average by a large margin. Also, I know more words than an average 32 year old. Woop. Reading all those books as a kid helped.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

36,100 at 25; I'm apparently inbetween the 90th and 95th percentile of English speakers on vocabulary mastery.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

34,100, not bad for my 3rd language. I noticed I had a fair bit of success with foreign derived words (hey, I know those words from French and Italian) while some of the more "straight" English words had me completely stumped.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

40800. Third language for me as well.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

35,300, mainly owing to my rapacious reading habits. Pretty good, I suppose.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

22,800. Slightly disappointed. Oh, well.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Thanas wrote:40800. Third language for me as well.
I'd think your line of work would help a lot, in the list they gave me I noticed a lot of words which I've only seen in legal documents. In context I could probably figure out what they mean but by themselves I have no clue.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Just 28,000. I expected a bit more than that.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Only 18,400 words. I'm pretty pathetic when it comes to my vocabulary, though I suspect the average word count for most Singaporean to be around my level.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

aerius wrote:
I'd think your line of work would help a lot, in the list they gave me I noticed a lot of words which I've only seen in legal documents. In context I could probably figure out what they mean but by themselves I have no clue.
Actually, what helped most was knowing latin and greek. For example, uxoricide.

But yeah, a lot of that is terminology as you said.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Thanas wrote:
aerius wrote:
Actually, what helped most was knowing latin and greek. For example, uxoricide.

But yeah, a lot of that is terminology as you said.
The only thing I got out of that was the act of killing something. I had to look up uxor. Are you fully fluent in Greek and Latin? I only know that you know a good amount of Latin.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

29400. About what I expected, i simply lack some exposure to situations that media can not provide. It's still average for a native speaker, which is quite good given that i never visited any English-speaking country or took advanced courses.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Fluent? Probably not because nobody really speaks them anymore.
------------
------------
My LPs
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

32,000, though I think an actual quiz would be a better test.
Thanas wrote:Fluent? Probably not because nobody really speaks them anymore.
I think Greeks might take offence with that statement. :wink:
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

29,000. I'm fairly sure most of those have not been used in a normal conversation in about 200 years.

*goes off to sulk*
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

35 400. I'm not unhappy with that, considering I haven't read much outside of textbooks since high school, and those don't have a lot of difficult words (specialized, yes, but not really obscure).

And it is my second language.
Last edited by Phantasee on 2011-07-28 11:49am, edited 1 time in total.
XXXI
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

spaceviking wrote:32,000, though I think an actual quiz would be a better test.
Thanas wrote:Fluent? Probably not because nobody really speaks them anymore.
I think Greeks might take offence with that statement. :wink:
Ancient Greeks are dead and buried.
------------
------------
My LPs
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

38,600, which is about what I expected. There are quite some words that I've never seen before, though a couple of those I could figure out from their roots. I have to wonder, though, if anyone (besides Thanas :P) ever uses fuliginous in lieu of its much simpler and more familiar synonym, Spoiler
sooty.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I did not know fuginous.
------------
------------
My LPs
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Good thing that's not a word, then. :wink:
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, but I think you got my meaning anyway...
------------
------------
My LPs
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

38,200, though I'd never think to use most of the stranger words if I didn't have them in front of me. And now I know what sparge means. So I'm going to call it a win.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

33,600 words. I did get 800 on the SAT verbal section, but that was over 12 years ago and I suspect that the Internet has rotted my brain since then. Also, I clicked on "melange" despite only remembering the Dune definition.