Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by LadyTevar »

Me, coming back from lunch: Oh my gods, it's cold enough to freeze your balls off out there!
My co-worker, in shock: Kathy Kemmish! You're a Lady! You don't have balls to freeze!
Me: SEE! They froze already!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I am hard at work, pouring over a massive pile of Birth Certificates, when my supervisor steps into my cube.
"Kathy, if you need work to do there's more births over here."

I look at the pile of Births I'm working on (which I counted later -- 79), and said "Don't I have enough?"
Supervisor gets annoyed, walks off. "I'm telling you there's more to do!"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

You could interpret that as saying "If you're bored, you can do these". So just find something more important to do and you'll be fine. :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

I'm not receptive to suggestions that I've run out of work and "in case you need something to do..."

I track my own work flow and if you happen to be in a supervisory position, when the time comes that I'm in need of the next thing to do, I will fucking well come and tell you myself. Or if you are wondering about the status of projects for which I am responsible, you may -ask-.

Don't insult me by suggesting that I'm akin to some kind of draft animal in need of constant direction and management. When I'm performing in a managerial role myself, I sure don't behave that way toward my subordinates.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

BFF: I can see your penis!

ME: You walked in the men's room! I'm peeing!

BFF: You have a nice penis...

ME: Thanks!

BFF: Don't tell my fiance I said that!

ME: I won't. Don't tell my girlfriend I let you look!

BFF: I won't. I love the service industry.

ME: Yeah. it's like this little club where we get naked sometimes.

BFF: Yeah. I love you.

ME: I love you.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Entitled Little Dipshit [Long Monologue Paraphrased]: Yeah, I don't really give a fuck about the Broncos, but I'm coming downtown tomorrow in case there's a riot. I've never flipped over a car before, and how many chances do you get to do that kind of shit, right?

Your Driver: I am staying the fuck out of downtown tomorrow.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Fucking Idiot: Can I get a ride?

Your Driver: Nobody with food gets in this cab, sorry.

FI: [genuinely incredulous] This isn't food! It's a burrito!

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

If it was Taco Bell he may have had a point.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zaune wrote:If it was Taco Bell he may have had a point.
Zing!

Burritos are easily the most popular street food in Denver. Most of the guerilla vendors on the corner with a cooler are slinging them (with very widely-varying quality), and most of the food trucks are more-or-less selling them, too, no matter what culture's cuisine they claim to be offering. You can get it with Mexican, Thai, Indian, BBQ, or Vietnamese sauce, but you're getting it with rice in a flour tortilla. These things are generally hastily-made and behave like a fucking hand-grenade if I allow one into my taxi - Count to three and it explodes all over the back seat. Especially on nights like last night, when grown men were weeping piteously and passing out in pools of vomit on the street over the defeat of their heroic self-avatars in the Superbowl.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

You are in Denver? Have you tried putting the umadbro pic of Richard Sherman in the front seat?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Thanas wrote:You are in Denver? Have you tried putting the umadbro pic of Richard Sherman in the front seat?
Yes I am, and no I haven't. I'm honestly relieved that the Broncos got completely humiliated; it cost me some money, but also a lot of stress at work compared to a win or a close loss. There was this ugly tension building for days that just dissipated into melancholia.

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

"Did we decide where we're hanging those pipes?"

(gestures) "Here, and here."

"Holy shit, we're going to need a short steadicam guy."
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

(One of the Art Directors in my office, leaning to peer out through the windows after the Production Designer)

Art Director: "Never mind me, I'm just spying on where Phil's going."

Me: "What, did the batteries in his tracker chip run out already?"

Art Director: "Yeah, we have to feed him a new one."

Me: "Maybe we could hide it in a piece of cheese..."

Art Director: "Yeah, someone has to feed it to him."

Me + another designer walking past my office, in unison: "NOT IT!"
Last edited by Kanastrous on 2014-02-19 07:48am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

So yesterday there was a minor dustup between one of my colleagues and a construction foreman. And this morning the foreman apologized, they kissed and made up, and all was well. And the metal foreman hears about this, "What? He apologized?! I'm gonna go over there and give him shit for that. Apologizing to the Art Department!"

And I said, "Yeah, can't have him make all you Construction guys look bad."

"Hey, I'm not -Construction-, I do -metal- work. I don't fuck around with all that pussy building-out-of-wood stuff."
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

My friend has started shitting all over Facebook about his new job, namely something called ACN Multi level marketing. The attitude is remarkably snobby, he and his new friends are posting pictures of meeting-halls full of enthusiastic people, all of them claiming they will get super-rich by selling some kind of energy-license.
Does anyone have personal experience with this sort of thing?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

cosmicalstorm wrote:My friend has started shitting all over Facebook about his new job, namely something called ACN Multi level marketing. The attitude is remarkably snobby, he and his new friends are posting pictures of meeting-halls full of enthusiastic people, all of them claiming they will get super-rich by selling some kind of energy-license.
Does anyone have personal experience with this sort of thing?
It's bullshit, just like most unsolicited salesman jobs.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

"Multi level marketing" - think steak knives.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

At least steak knives have a purpose. They're useful. You can use them to create yummy meals.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Broomstick wrote:At least steak knives have a purpose. They're useful. You can use them to create yummy meals.
Or as my wife says, you can use them to go STABBIE STABBIE.

Yes, she's violent. :)
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

This appears to be their website.

I can't say with absolute certainty whether or not they're as skeezy as these outfits usually turn out to be, but they're either staunch believers in minimalist web design or too tight to commission anything better.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Home-Based Business
There's the key right there. Scam.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I am amazed that they put multi level marketing in their name. At least try to hide you are a scam.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Yeah, people get suckered into this sort of shit all the time. It's very cult-like. A guy I went to high school with recently tried to lure me in with some bullshit sales pitch but it bounced right off my cynicism.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I feel a lot less stupid for getting suckered into this now.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

So, just as a matter of caution, don't joke about solving the problem of not-nearly-enough-space for the catwalks with guards patrolling that the director wants to have by saying hey, we could just build it sub-scale and hire midget actors to fit.

Because you will be taken seriously.