Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by LaCroix »

Kanastrous? I'd like preorder your autobio...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

[Last Call on a Friday]

Douchebag: Hey, can you take me to Santa Fe and Oxford?

Your Driver: Sure, get in.

DB: [gets in; waits half a block] And don't try to fuck me over by taking me the long way!

YD: [stops the taxi] ...aaand we're done.

DB: What!? But it took me half an hour to get a cab!

YD: Well, maybe you'll think about that before you run your mouth next time.

DB: [desperate] Oh yeah? Well, I hope you don't get any more-

Drunk Girl: [running up, cutting him off] Hey, will you take me to Arizona and Cherry?

YD: Sure, get in.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

^ HA!
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

A client of mine got summoned to testify about a petty theft. Thing is: the victim says he chased the thief and pinned him down untill the police arrived. He says he doesn't remember doing so, and, to avoid giving evidence to a potential lawsuit for excessive force, or avoid lying if the events did occur, this conversation occurs.

ME: So, as a witness, you can't lie but if you don't recall anything, you can say so.

CLIENT: Ok.
POLICEWOMAN: So, you don't recall the events, but do you think they might have happened?

CLIENT, before I can say anything: Yes.

ME: *mental facepalm*
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

So some members here have been wonderfully generous in hooking me up with photographs detailing Russian Navy Kirov class battlecruisers, which are useful for the purposes of this tv series we're designing. And now the producers seem to think I have some kind of espionage-type connections, in having gotten them (something I'm content to allow them to believe...)

"These are fucking awesome! How did you get -hold- of these?!"

(Solemnly) "Many Bothans died, to bring us this information."
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Last week, I was given the task of peeling off "Made in China" stickers off battery chargers. During my lunch break on Friday, kind of annoyed by how pointless this was, I talked to the warehouse manager about it.
"Why do we even have to remove these stickers?"
"Because [company name] didn't want them there."
"..."
"It seems like a totally hyper-anal thing, doesn't it?"
"Yeah..."
"Well, you want to make money, you have to please the customer."
"..."
"The next question you have is why they even have them there in the first place."
"Yeah."
"Because the Chinese made them put them on there."
Then I walk away throwing my hands up in the air. I ended up having to do that for about a week, peeling off thousands of "Made in China" stickers. Hurray for pointless tasks. At least I get paid for it.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

The wife works as a discrimination caseworker, advising or representing people who've been discrimated against.

Guy rings up. "Hello, I need to speak to a racial discrimination advisor."
Wife, "Sure, I'm [welsh sounding name], how can I help you?"
Guy "No, I want to speak to a black person."
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Last Night of Great American Beer Fest:

Bloody Mess: Hey can you take us to Wheat Ridge?

Your Driver: Sure, but let me put down some paper towels first...

Her Sister: We're not ghetto, I swear.

[time passes]

BM: So then I saw that bitch that hit me with the bottle come out of the bathroom, so I took my heels off and ran up on her. WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! I got that bitch right in the head! I got a right to defend myself.

YD: I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not sure that's how that law works exactly...

HS: We're not ghetto, I swear.

BM: Uh, Sir?

YD: [mental dialogue: "Oh fuck, this little hooligan is Sirring me? Shit just went pear-shaped..."]

BM: I thought I had money that didn't have blood on it for you, but all I've got is money with blood on it, or half a gram of coke. Which would you prefer..?

YD: [turns and stares at Her Sister Expectantly]

HS: [looks out the window, silent]

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

You know, the coke might have been worth more...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:You know, the coke might have been worth more...
Half a gram isn't worth that much...

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Raw Shark wrote:
Borgholio wrote:You know, the coke might have been worth more...
Half a gram isn't worth that much...
Sorry, I wouldn't know. :)
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Kanastrous wrote:So some members here have been wonderfully generous in hooking me up with photographs detailing Russian Navy Kirov class battlecruisers, which are useful for the purposes of this tv series we're designing. And now the producers seem to think I have some kind of espionage-type connections, in having gotten them (something I'm content to allow them to believe...)

"These are fucking awesome! How did you get -hold- of these?!"

(Solemnly) "Many Bothans died, to bring us this information."
You, sir, are the greatest citizen of this board.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Raw Shark, you should either start a blog or write a book. Hell, do both.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Call into tech support:

Caller - "Hello, my software is not working"
Me - "Ok let's take a look." *remotely logs into computer to have a look around*
Caller - "I'm not sure why it stopped working."
Me - "Well sir, it's not even installed."
Caller - "Does it need to be?"
Me - ...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

@Rawshark

"We're not ghetto, I *swear*!"
Honey, you gotta be ghetto, cause a Redneck wouldn't have a gram of coke.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

LadyTevar wrote:@Rawshark

Neither would ghetto folks. Pure coke tends to be an upper class white people drug.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Block wrote:

Neither would ghetto folks. Pure coke tends to be an upper class white people drug.
I'm not vouching for the purity of this girl's coke.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Naw, rednecks would have a bag of meth.

Meanwhile, back at the shoe shop today...

Had not one but two people try to leave with their shoes without paying.

Had a lady call and ask how much her repair were so she'd have enough money, wanting to know the price on each item, which I told her over the phone along with a total that, as I said "includes tax" because she wants to be sure she has enough money. She shows up 10 minutes later and hands over the amount for each item but NOT tax. I said the total is $$$. But-but-but-! she says. I said there is tax. She said no you didn't. I said I'm sorry, but there is sales tax on this. Now, I cut a little slack for the little old Greek lady with poor English skills, and the Mexicans with that ID the consulate gives out instead of local IDs, and the UK tourist we had a few weeks ago because I know not everyone else does things the way we do, but this was a lady who was clearly US Midwest in her 40's. I am POSITIVE she's encountered US style sales taxes before. She then looks at her money, then looks in her wallet, then says she doesn't have enough cash. She then asks if we will take a personnel check or charge. I am not inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt at this point and simply state we take Mastercard and Visa.

And finally, we have the woman who came in with the heel caps (that bottom rubber part) off the bottoms of her boots completely missing. Long rambling story about she only wore them once and we have to replace them at no charge and yada yada yada... I inquire if she had the missing pieces. She said no, they were useless, they started coming loose and she ripped them off and threw them away. I look at the heels. It looks to me as if she had been walking on them despite the missing pieces. I said that was a shame because it would have been helpful to know what had been on there, the thickness, the tread... Well, she said, it was just this thin little piece, surely they're all alike? Nope, we have at least seven different thicknesses of heel but we'll do our best... What sort of tread did she have? What, what did I mean by that? What sort of pattern on the bottom of the heels. Oh, it wasn't a real heavy tread (hmm... in other words, didn't match the rest of the boot...) just these thin lines... OK, how long did the work last, when was it done? Two months ago she said but she only wore them once, maybe twice, and the heels started coming loose and she just RIPPED them off and threw them away. I said OK, let me check the computer and see if we wrote down what we used last time and... huh, this says you were here in August.... Yes! Yes! she cries that was it! I look at the black boots. I look at the computer. It said "red purse". I convey this information. Well, maybe it was six months ago she brought the boots in. Uh-huh... well, we've had this computer system about 2 years now and there's no other record of her being here. But we did the work! And it didn't last! And we need to replace it no charge!

I told her that if she had come in when the problem first started, just after the repairs, we might have been able to do that but after so many months I'm afraid I have to charge you for the repairs. But we're going to give her a discount, right? Right? No.

:::moment of silence:::

But her brother was in an accident! He was hurt real bad! He'll never walk again, she had other things on her mind than her boots!

I told her I was sorry about her brother but new heels for her boots would be $17.99 (due to size and having to fix the problems caused by walking on them without heel caps).

This was almost as much fun as the lady who, upon being told what the total was for replacing the straps on her two purses was, declared she had to get more money out of the car and RAN out of the shop. And never came back.

It's been a little strange this week. We usually don't get so many like this.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

done my taxes.

and looks like our savings have been wiped out. nuts.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

madd0ct0r wrote:done my taxes.

Makes me glad to live in a european tax system. Our taxes are deducted by our emplyee at each paycheck. We also do our tax reports once a year, but it almost always results in getting a bit of money back. (usually 1-200€, mostly because of rounding differences when you chalculate the whole year's sum at once) We can even decide to not file the report if it results in having to pay something. (Could happen if we get a very steep pay rise or bonus.)

Maybe that's why taxes are such an issue for you - I would hate to have to save up all year for my taxes. We do see the amount deducted on our monthly wage report, but what we get is ours to keep...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

LaCroix wrote:

Makes me glad to live in a european tax system. Our taxes are deducted by our emplyee at each paycheck. We also do our tax reports once a year, but it almost always results in getting a bit of money back. (usually 1-200€, mostly because of rounding differences when you chalculate the whole year's sum at once) We can even decide to not file the report if it results in having to pay something. (Could happen if we get a very steep pay rise or bonus.)

Maybe that's why taxes are such an issue for you - I would hate to have to save up all year for my taxes. We do see the amount deducted on our monthly wage report, but what we get is ours to keep...
Ours are, too. The amount deducted (without any adjustment on the wage-earner's part) tends to be a bit high for lower wage earners and a bit low for higher wage earners. You can adjust withholding amounts freely to attempt to equalize the amounts so that the pay-in/pay-out at tax time is minimized, maximized, or what-have-you. A smart woman I know once told me that you should actually try to get your withholding set so that it ends up that you owe a little bit of money at tax time; to set it up so that you are owed money essentially means you've given the government an interest-free loan over the course of the year.
kilopi505
Padawan Learner

Post by kilopi505 »

Which country's tax system is this?
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Guys, take the tax conversation elsewhere - this is not the thread.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

feck sorry. must have had the venting thread open on another tab.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Director: "Look at the graphics I sent you. It's obvious what doesn't look correct, no?"
There are at least three glaring problems with the graphic, none of which are what he's referring to
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.