If you could make any TV show...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: If you could make any TV show...

Post by Borgholio »

A "Running Man" type show where we can throw in politicians who are found guilty of corruption, rich kids who attempt to buy their way out of serious crimes, corporate CEOs who fuck over their employees while pocketing millions in bonuses, etc...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Gaunt's Ghost tv series.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Borgholio wrote:A "Running Man" type show where we can throw in politicians who are found guilty of corruption, rich kids who attempt to buy their way out of serious crimes, corporate CEOs who fuck over their employees while pocketing millions in bonuses, etc...
So you would stoop below their level?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Thanas wrote:
Borgholio wrote:A "Running Man" type show where we can throw in politicians who are found guilty of corruption, rich kids who attempt to buy their way out of serious crimes, corporate CEOs who fuck over their employees while pocketing millions in bonuses, etc...
So you would stoop below their level?
I don't see how...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

THose people wreck lives but at least most of them don't plan to kill people while laughing at it.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Good point. Dumb idea.

Ok better idea. What about a series based in the LOTR universe, exploring the travels of the Blue Wizards as they do...well...whatever it is they did in the East during the War of the Ring.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:THose people wreck lives but at least most of them don't plan to kill people while laughing at it.
What if it was a dramedy/satire? I'd watch it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

are you lower than the scum who wreck people's live? If no, then don't watch such a show.
------------
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Oh man. With Trekkie fanboyism on. I'd totally go for an adaption of the New Frontier novel series. Get Peter David to adapt to screen himself. I don't know how faithfully they could do it to the books. They certainly couldn't use the TNG characters without recasting. And one of the Alien crewmembers is basically The Thing. (Fantastic Four Thing I mean. Not John Carpenter's The Thing) so that might not work on a TV Budget.
The new frontier novels suck unless you do buy in the MANLY CHARACTERS BEING AWESOME stuff. The plot sucks.
I read the very first part of the series before Spoiler
the ambassador class ship got blowed up but quit way before then
I was mature enough to realize it was dreck. But the basic idea of a post-TNG era show with an older ship and an outcast crew sent off to explore a presumed unimportant part of space only to find there's more to it than meets the eye is a solid premise I could get behind if the right people did it.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:are you lower than the scum who wreck people's live? If no, then don't watch such a show.
No, I'm talking about a show that is a scripted satire of those types of people in a future dystopia. Like the hunger games only everyone playing is an over the top horrible person. His idea to do it for real real not for play play is monstrous.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Flagg wrote:
Thanas wrote:are you lower than the scum who wreck people's live? If no, then don't watch such a show.
No, I'm talking about a show that is a scripted satire of those types of people in a future dystopia. Like the hunger games only everyone playing is an over the top horrible person. His idea to do it for real real not for play play is monstrous.
I probably should have clarified that I don't think anybody should actually be murdered as part of the show. I was looking for a way that they could be forced to actually confront the consequences of their actions while humiliating them on public TV.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Borgholio wrote:
Flagg wrote:
I probably should have clarified that I don't think anybody should actually be murdered as part of the show. I was looking for a way that they could be forced to actually confront the consequences of their actions while humiliating them on public TV.
If you want them to be humiliated make them contestants on something like Total Wipeout.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I could go Browncoat and just grab the entire cast of Firefly and force them back into their old roles, but it's been over a decade, and I think Serenity was a nice enough way to end it.

Honestly, I'd have a Star Trek show all about Captain Bateson and his crew, a bunch of 23rd century military style Starfleet personnel, now adapting to the 24th century and maybe helping Starfleet get ready for the Dominion war. As an added bonus, having Kelsey Grammer as a permanent Star Trek lead would be great.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior novel series goes live.
And I'll have to figure out a way to get Steven Seagal cameos sprinkled throughout the series as a running gag.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

If I could make magic happen, I'd have the Jim Henson Company handle a hybrid live-action/animated Sandman series on HBO, overseen by Gaiman.

I'd take a Gaunt's Ghosts series also. No clue who to cast, except maybe Jonathan Frakes as Corbec? No friggen idea.

Oh, and make me a Transmetropolitan adaptation.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Borgholio wrote:
Flagg wrote:
People like that generally bask in the spotlight even if it's a negative. Look at all the fuckers from The Apprentice and Survivor.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:So, what would you make? Personally, I'd make a genuine re-make of the original BSG series. Because I miss the days of sci-fi where good guys are good, bad guys are robots and people use honest-to-god lasers.
Why remake it if it's going to be the same horrid crap?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

JLTucker wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:So, what would you make? Personally, I'd make a genuine re-make of the original BSG series. Because I miss the days of sci-fi where good guys are good, bad guys are robots and people use honest-to-god lasers.
Why remake it if it's going to be the same horrid crap?
Because I'm tired of space operas with deep, brooding angsty characters. I want simple, honest heros. And lasers. And with a better budget and modern CGI you can avoid having to re-use stock footage voer and over and over.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

So you want style over substance. I can see that. We need pew pew lasers instead of some earnest character interaction that echoes how humanity has lived over the years.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

You think maybe there's a happy medium here? I'm all for rounded, complex characters, but when the show becomes more about each character's flaws and insecurities and other underlying psychological issues than the actual plot then something has gone badly wrong. That's one of the things that left me feeling somewhat let down by the BSG remake; once the Cylons stopped being an immediate military threat the show's primary source of conflict was characters taking turns letting their personality problems inconvenience everyone else, and it started to get on my nerves.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Just as long as any BSG remake has Grace Park, I'm ok with it.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Zaune wrote:You think maybe there's a happy medium here? I'm all for rounded, complex characters, but when the show becomes more about each character's flaws and insecurities and other underlying psychological issues than the actual plot then something has gone badly wrong. That's one of the things that left me feeling somewhat let down by the BSG remake; once the Cylons stopped being an immediate military threat the show's primary source of conflict was characters taking turns letting their personality problems inconvenience everyone else, and it started to get on my nerves.
Fans are split on this. I personally found the humans to be a bigger threat than the Cylons because their greed and selfishness got the better of them. If you take the Cylons and Earth out of the mix, I think they'd eat each other alive.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

It was kinda bad when I found myself rooting for the Cylons a few times...
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Zaune wrote:You think maybe there's a happy medium here? I'm all for rounded, complex characters, but when the show becomes more about each character's flaws and insecurities and other underlying psychological issues than the actual plot then something has gone badly wrong. That's one of the things that left me feeling somewhat let down by the BSG remake; once the Cylons stopped being an immediate military threat the show's primary source of conflict was characters taking turns letting their personality problems inconvenience everyone else, and it started to get on my nerves.
This is what a better way of saying what I wanted to say. Character development has it's place, but I woudl prefer to see a BSG remake with charcter dynamics more like DS9 than the Ron Moore version. Character development has it's place, but a nice clear distinction that the bad guys are bad. I don't want to be feeling sympathetic for the interpersonal conflict of a race of beings who annihilated most of the human race, for instance.

Bad guys can be interesting characters, sure, but if their opening act is that dark, you shouldn't try and make them into good guys by writer's fiat.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
This is what a better way of saying what I wanted to say. Character development has it's place, but I woudl prefer to see a BSG remake with charcter dynamics more like DS9 than the Ron Moore version. Character development has it's place, but a nice clear distinction that the bad guys are bad. I don't want to be feeling sympathetic for the interpersonal conflict of a race of beings who annihilated most of the human race, for instance.

Bad guys can be interesting characters, sure, but if their opening act is that dark, you shouldn't try and make them into good guys by writer's fiat.
Dumbass, Ron Moore ran DS9. And BSG doesn't need a remake anytime soon.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw