Building the SD.Net Bunker (RAR)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Building the SD.Net Bunker (RAR)

Post by Zaune »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:So building in a place like Nebraska is the best bet in terms of being cost effective. But I don't know if we want to go IN Nebraska. Keep in mind we want several things for a good location, chief among them a large abundance of water. Both for drinking, sewage, and for the offsite Nuclear Reactor.
Do we really need a nuclear reactor for this endeavour? It's stretching the budget and it's going to create a considerable amount of extra paperwork, and for the scale we're looking at here it's probably overkill. If you're worried about days when there's no wind and not enough sun for renewables, we could probably make do with nothing more sophisticated than good old-fashioned steam; that's one reason I think we need a good source of timber.
Something else, someone mentioned the psychologically effects of being underground for prolonged periods of time. Might I suggest "Sun Windows" the silohouse used something similar to these. Basically a Sun Window is a light cut in the wall and made to look like a Window that gives of light and a small bit of UV light like the sun. They are also linked to the solar cycle, so they grow brighter from morning to afternoon, then dim going into the evening. Thus mimicking a natural solar cycle while underground.
That would have been me. And those might help for a while, but they're not a complete solution to the problem of Vitamin D3 deficiency, much less claustrophobia. There's an upper limit to how long you can spend shut in a single building with the same people without starting to get on each other's nerves, however large or luxuriously appointed and however much you happen to enjoy said people's company. I'd give the population of this madhouse about a month before the first punch is thrown and another two months after that before the first murder.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

A few thoughts:

Workshops should include forging utilities: at least one member here knows how heat-treating and stuff like that is done and we never know when we will have to make our own tools. Yes, I'm primarily thinking of knives but there has to be other stuff as well (motor parts maybe) that we may need to forge. Or even a forge to recycle scrap metal.

For weapons, beyond your favourite choice of firearms I'm assuming some people will bring, I'd advice to bring at least a dozen crossbows: you never know how long will the post-apocalypse last and how much ammo you will use up. Crossbows can accept improvised ammo. Guns cannot.

Include as many books about bushcraft into the electric library.
A small but industrial-scale printer for books may be handy. Imagine if there aren't enough e-readers to go around or you need to post up something. Some proper paper-recycling may be needed too, although that's a low priority.

Since a nuclear reactor is out of the question, I would go and try to find a place where you can use a geothermal power source: won't run out and there is less problems of fallout/radiation in case of an "accident" (read: jackasses). Or running out of radioisotopes. If there is a problem it won't be from the source but the energy generation.

As for food: what about mushrooms? I personally hate them with zeal, but they don't need sunlight.
Also, what about breeding fish and other aquatics?

I presume for getting rid of dead bodies, there will be a crematory with something resembling a multi-functional church?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I banged out a sketch of a possible living quarters but I can seem to upload to my domain tonight. Well, that figures, I've been having computer problems this year, that's for sure.

What's a free and easy place I can upload these? Emphasis on free and easy....
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Broomstick wrote:I banged out a sketch of a possible living quarters but I can seem to upload to my domain tonight. Well, that figures, I've been having computer problems this year, that's for sure.

What's a free and easy place I can upload these? Emphasis on free and easy....
Photo-bucket is my preference in free image hosting.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

MKSheppard wrote:As for VAULT 101, I will investigate repurposing an old mine in Maryland/Virginia. I'm sure we can find one of the appropriate size that can be opened up with additional "mining" by a dummy corporation.

Best part is, the dummy corporation might not be a dummy after all. We could actually turn a marginal profit on the mining that opens up larger rooms for our use in the run up to 2016.

I'm thinking that Vault 101 would either be in the western part of Maryland (as in, at Hancock and West) and somewhere in Great North Mountain along the Virginia/WV border. Perhaps a better option would be to dig the vault SDN Foundation for Biodiversity Preservation Seed Vault 101 farther Southwest, such as Highland County, VA(I'm leery of pushing Vault 101 more than a day's driving distance from my home. Doesn't mean I couldn't make it difficult to get to.)

I favor the "Vault dispersal" idea. It makes more sense then one giant one where all of the cult members SDenziens fly to the week before the disaster. For all we know there may be a "leadup" to the disaster that will make travel difficult.

(I'd offer to pay half the cost of the Hyperion Reactor and use the "biodiversity Preservation Seed Vault" and some small mountain town as good PR for Hyperion).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

As specified in the OP the disaster shall begin officially on January 1st 2016, and it's expected and hinted at by Q you want to be in the bunker by December 1st 2016 but it's not impossible to get there up till the day off.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Probably should bring machetes, too. Decent weapons in close quarters and are good tools. More practical than my first thought on close quarter combat weapons that sprang to my mind, this baby: http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/authe ... sword.html
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Probably should bring machetes, too. Decent weapons in close quarters and are good tools. More practical than my first thought on close quarter combat weapons that sprang to my mind, this baby: http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/authe ... sword.html
Jesus Christ you're stupid. You really think Machetes are going to be worth more than useful tools and firearms?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Lonestar wrote:
Panzersharkcat wrote:Probably should bring machetes, too. Decent weapons in close quarters and are good tools. More practical than my first thought on close quarter combat weapons that sprang to my mind, this baby: http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/authe ... sword.html
Jesus Christ you're stupid. You really think Machetes are going to be worth more than useful tools and firearms?
No, but they're fairly cheap and will serve in a pinch. I never said to bring them to the exclusion of other tools and firearms. There's a reason I put the word, "too," at the end of the first sentence. Yeah, it shouldn't be the highest priority thing but if there's space and some extra cash lying around, why not?
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Lonestar wrote: Jesus Christ you're stupid. You really think Machetes are going to be worth more than useful tools and firearms?
Damn Sailor, sounds like you never had to clear brush before, a Machete is perfect for clearing a path, it IS a tool. It also happens to make a handy melee weapon as well but it's main use is as a tool for clearing brush from paths, typically jungle but it works just as well on Kudzu we have in some areas of America.

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

This is why I like mines:

Upper Big Branch Mine (the one that had a fire in 2010).

The bright purple strip is over a 10,000 foot long (1.89 mile) and 1,000 foot wide stretch of excavacated space that was mined from January to August of 2003.

Eight months.

As you can see, there's a lot more mined area. Over to the left you can see a mine marked EAGLE ENERGY COAL COMPANY in light grey. It's an abandoned mine.

The only problem I can see is that a mine would need some cleanup before we can use it -- e.g. smooth out the walls, and spray some insulation over the walls to keep dust to a minimum.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ye Gods!

If that purple bit is over 10,000 feet, the excavated amount is More then enough for what we need. the sheer space of all that is staggering!
The money saved in excavation alone would more then make up for however much "prettying up" we would need to do. Where exactly is this in Virginia? would be interested to get a map of the surrounding area, but just typing "Upper Big Branch Mine" into google maps doesn't pull up an exact location.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

A slight problem with the mine idea: isn't the area contaminated with coal dust to the point that there is no wildlife?
What if we choose a site that is surrounded by boreal forest? Then machetes will be cumbersome rather than useful, because this is an environment where you specifically want an axe.
(although I admit that personally I would favour my kukri: can handle wood and can still act like a machete, but hey, owner's bias).

The suggestion for the "ninja sword" however is indeed retarded. While relatively cheap in this endeavour, it is useless: there will be very few people able to use it properly, it is a weapon against humans with no other function and it is an invitation for jackasses to do something very stupid.
Meanwhile, crossbows can be used for hunting and their use can be easily learned.

Again, this is why I suggested a forge: if necessary, we can make our own tools in case whatever happens.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I agree, the mines have more then enough space. The only question would be local environmental concerns.

i.e Wildlife, safe drinking water, etc.

However, arn't mines subject to periodic inspections? How would we hide our renovations from those inspectors? (assuming we can't bribe them).
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There have been mines repurposed for other things - if I recall, there's an old salt mine that's been converted to underground office space, and others used for storage. Here is a link about one such facility in Hutchinson, Kansas.

Really, if we bought the property, or leased it, there's nothing illegal about setting up whatever we want inside it. Do we need to hide this project? We're just another bunch of kooks with money, right? :wink:
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

OK, let's see how this works....
ImageImage
ImageImage

I hope the cut-aways aren't too confusing. Basically, it's for a single person (as not everyone is suited to roommates) with storage space, a work table/desk, and yes, that's a wash basin/sink. I figure a small coffee maker/electric kettle and/or hotplate/hotpot could go on top of the dresser and you could easily have snacks, rehydrated soup, coffee, etc. in your own fortress of solitude (haven't made such a component yet in sketch up, hence why it is not included. With an internet link one could be entertained, perform research, or do work. It's pretty small living area.

A common bathing area/kitchen/exercise/other area will be down the hallway. I'm not expecting anyone to cross their legs for 10 years! While It was tempting to make a separate toilet/bathroom for these "apartments" I'm thinking there would be some constraints on that much plumbing.

I'm working on a four person "dorm" situation for the more social.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Broomstick wrote:Really, if we bought the property, or leased it, there's nothing illegal about setting up whatever we want inside it. Do we need to hide this project? We're just another bunch of kooks with money, right?
Because everyone within several dozen miles will make a beeline for our bunker in the hope of bribing, cajoling, begging or threatening their way in once the crisis kicks off. We'd have the budget for plenty of redundant capacity but there's going to be an upper limit to how many walk-ins we can accept, and we don't need the psychological or practical problems that come with having more people outside than we're capable of fitting into the vault.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Zixinus wrote: What if [snip] whatever happens.
Yup. We'd be more likely to chop off our own faces than do anything else. I see your point about the machetes, though. It'll depend on where the vault is supposed to be, then. I'll shut up about tools, now.

What about leadership structure? Something like what we see in the Fallout series (minus the whole human experimentation thing)? Overseer, head of security, etc.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Mr Bean wrote: Damn Sailor, sounds like you never had to clear brush before, a Machete is perfect for clearing a path, it IS a tool. It also happens to make a handy melee weapon as well but it's main use is as a tool for clearing brush from paths, typically jungle but it works just as well on Kudzu we have in some areas of America.
Depending upon the disaster that may not be worth that much. While some Machetes could be ordered, more axes/hatchets/saws would be more useful, IMO.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Lonestar wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:
Depending upon the disaster that may not be worth that much. While some Machetes could be ordered, more axes/hatchets/saws would be more useful, IMO.
It depends on the terrain on what tools you need, but don't expect 1000 Machette's or Axes, you need a third that number assuming your going to have two 50 man work parties plus replacements since your never going to have the full thousand out there clearing brush.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Broomstick wrote:OK, let's see how this works....

I hope the cut-aways aren't too confusing. Basically, it's for a single person (as not everyone is suited to roommates) with storage space, a work table/desk, and yes, that's a wash basin/sink. I figure a small coffee maker/electric kettle and/or hotplate/hotpot could go on top of the dresser and you could easily have snacks, rehydrated soup, coffee, etc. in your own fortress of solitude (haven't made such a component yet in sketch up, hence why it is not included. With an internet link one could be entertained, perform research, or do work. It's pretty small living area.

A common bathing area/kitchen/exercise/other area will be down the hallway. I'm not expecting anyone to cross their legs for 10 years! While It was tempting to make a separate toilet/bathroom for these "apartments" I'm thinking there would be some constraints on that much plumbing.

I'm working on a four person "dorm" situation for the more social.
Awesome work. Seeing your design makes me think that the best way to "design" this bunker, is not to make some sort of layout. but design everything in a "modular" state. make a standard room, standard kitchen, standard rec room, etc. Then use those like lego bricks to build the real bunker once we have agreed on the layout of it.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Zixinus wrote:A slight problem with the mine idea: isn't the area contaminated with coal dust to the point that there is no wildlife?.

Not necessarily, I've lived most of my life within a mile of a large coal mine and there's plenty of wildlife around, with the execption of the actual mine site. A bigger problem with using a mine, especialy an abandoned one, is that the renovation process includes pumping a LOT of water out.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Awesome work. Seeing your design makes me think that the best way to "design" this bunker, is not to make some sort of layout. but design everything in a "modular" state. make a standard room, standard kitchen, standard rec room, etc. Then use those like lego bricks to build the real bunker once we have agreed on the layout of it.
Prefab is a great idea. In that mine, for instance, if our 'construction unit' is a 15-foot square, you can map out where the hallway units go, the quarters, the rec rooms, etc, and just slide them in one at a time like a giant game of tetris. I would imagine you'd have 'dorms' for 200-250 people laid up in a common pattern, with identical amenities, with dorms further broken down into family suites, single rooms, and multi-person suites. Each dorm would be laid out identically, but treated as an administrative unit.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Where exactly is this in Virginia?
Montcoal, West Virginia.

37.91435896179164N
-81.53766164305671W
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Broomstick wrote:There have been mines repurposed for other things - if I recall, there's an old salt mine that's been converted to underground office space, and others used for storage. Here is a link about one such facility in Hutchinson, Kansas.
That's why I'm attracted to a coal mine.

If the Great Disaster is Justin Bieber winning best actor academy award -- Q can be a total bastard -- we're not totally fucked and about to be indicted for wire and bank fraud on 1 January 2016 -- the great disaster Q warned us about. :lol:

So we can repurpose the mine as a competitor to IRON MOUNTAIN storage, etc and try to make it a going business, instead of being left with a huge DOOMSDAY BUNKER that does us fuck all.